Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Has The Advantage On A Wet Field?
Who has the advantage on a wet and muddy field?

A running team?

or

A passing team?
For every player on the field, the chances of fumbling is much higher so this effects both teams.

For a passing team:

A quarterback would have much problems trying to catch (shotgun), grip and throw a wet ball. Receivers would have a hard time catching a heavier, wet ball but would have an advantage of running routes because they know where they're going and a DB doesn't. Offensive linemen have to try to plant their feet in mud to prevent a pass rusher coming full steam at/around them. Running backs either have to plant in mud like linemen or run routes like a receiver so they change. Those are all things that effect a passing team in wet conditions.

For a running team:

Little QB problems except in receiving the snap and handoffs, no problem with receivers (since they won't be catching much for a running team) except when trying to move to block a moving defensive player, offensive linemen have a large advantage of driving players attempting to hold their ground in mud. Running backs have major trouble cutting. Those are all things that effect a running team in wet conditions.

I say in effects both teams in ways, but I think it's a larger advantage for a good running team to play in the rain and mud rather than a good passing team.
I would say that a running team has the advantage because the ball going up in the air and the dangers of slipping and being picked off increases more. The only disadvantages in with a running team is the threat of dropping the hand-offs.
running team. A wet ball is harder to take snap from the center, grip it and throw it, and it is harder to catch, as we all know, lol......yes its more slippery to hang on too, but ill take my chances with the handoff rather than throw it. But regardless, a wet field is the "Great Equalizer". Anything can happen.
I had to choose a running team. Its harder to send the ball thruough the air when its wet and harder for recievers make the appropriate manuvers to come open against a good defense on a muddy field.
definately a running team. it is too hard to pass when it is wet.
The Ducks have the advantage in FOWL weather.
Running team and Hazard is good during rainy games....
definately a running team
I don't think there is an advantage on a wet field. It makes the game a toss up to say the least.
i think a running team because they dont have to try to catch a wet ball
ok ill answer this from what i have seen, THE 97 BREATHITT CO. BOBCATS WERE THE BEST 2A FOOTBALL TEAM I'VE EVER SEEN.THEY HAD EVRYONE BACK FROM THE 96 STATE CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM WHICH HAD THE NO. 1 DEFENSE IN THE STATE. THEY LIVED IN THE RIFLE SET(SHOTGUN).THEY BEAT BRYANSTATION 40-0,BEAT LAFAYETTE 49-12,BEAT BELFRY 42-7 THE WEEK AFTER LOU.MALE JUST BEAT BELFRY 7-0. THEY AVG. OVER 50 A GAME FOR THE SEASON. THE PLAYOFFS CAME THEY BEAT EASTCARTER 56-0, THEN BEAT MASON CO. 55-6. OK THE FOLLOWING WED. IT STARTED TO RAIN. IT RAINED OFF AND ON FOR 3 DAYS.POURED ALL DAY ON THE FRIDAY THEY HAD TO TRAVEL TO LAWRENCE CO FOR THE REGIONAL FINALS.
BREATHITT WAS GOING FOR ITS 44 STRAIGHT WIN. THE WEATHER CONDITIONS AND MUDDY FIELD AT LAWRENCE CO. WAS TOO MUCH FOR THE SHOTGUN PASSING TEAM IN THE RAIN TO OVERCOME, BREATHITT LOST 28-22.IN THE FINAL MINUTES BREATHITT RAN A VERTICLE WITH THEIR TE, WHO WAS A GREAT PLAYER, HIT HIM IN THE HANDS( WIDE OPEN) THE BALL SLIPPED AND SLIDED OUT OF HIS HANDS.
THE RUNNING TEAM HAS THE EDGE IN THE MUD.
vince Wrote:ok ill answer this from what i have seen, THE 97 BREATHITT CO. BOBCATS WERE THE BEST 2A FOOTBALL TEAM I'VE EVER SEEN.THEY HAD EVRYONE BACK FROM THE 96 STATE CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM WHICH HAD THE NO. 1 DEFENSE IN THE STATE. THEY LIVED IN THE RIFLE SET(SHOTGUN).THEY BEAT BRYANSTATION 40-0,BEAT LAFAYETTE 49-12,BEAT BELFRY 42-7 THE WEEK AFTER LOU.MALE JUST BEAT BELFRY 7-0. THEY AVG. OVER 50 A GAME FOR THE SEASON. THE PLAYOFFS CAME THEY BEAT EASTCARTER 56-0, THEN BEAT MASON CO. 55-6. OK THE FOLLOWING WED. IT STARTED TO RAIN. IT RAINED OFF AND ON FOR 3 DAYS.POURED ALL DAY ON THE FRIDAY THEY HAD TO TRAVEL TO LAWRENCE CO FOR THE REGIONAL FINALS.
BREATHITT WAS GOING FOR ITS 44 STRAIGHT WIN. THE WEATHER CONDITIONS AND MUDDY FIELD AT LAWRENCE CO. WAS TOO MUCH FOR THE SHOTGUN PASSING TEAM IN THE RAIN TO OVERCOME, BREATHITT LOST 28-22.IN THE FINAL MINUTES BREATHITT RAN A VERTICLE WITH THEIR TE, WHO WAS A GREAT PLAYER, HIT HIM IN THE HANDS( WIDE OPEN) THE BALL SLIPPED AND SLIDED OUT OF HIS HANDS.
THE RUNNING TEAM HAS THE EDGE IN THE MUD.
Very well said nice post.....
running team
[Running team and Hazard is good during rainy games....] yes they are .and a Running team is best during rainy games
nether one really has alot of luck in a rainy game if you think about it. but it also deals with how much rain and mud they are on the field.
I'd say a good running team has the advantage.
ashland sure does wit their 3/4 in. cleats
Centrals Back Wrote:ashland sure does wit their 3/4 in. cleats
How about we quit talking about that game!!! It was over 5 Months ago!!! Ashland won!!!
the running game is the better option
I think the passing team has the advantage as long as they can keep the balls dry.

Bad footing for run blocking teams is what makes me think this way.
what kind of question is that every one know that a running team will alway have the advantage becaus i dont think that many high school teamd can pass in th rain
running has other downsides too. handing a wet slippery ball to a wet slippery RB. fumbles come easier
running team
I have to go with the running team, because when its wet a runner changes directions he knows where he is going and the defense has to cut based on what the runner has done..
running team unless ur hazard
I'll go with the running team