Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gary Williams (Maryland) to Retire (Men's Basketball)
Maryland Head Coach Gary Williams announces Retirement after 22 Seasons at Maryland
He had some great seasons but couldn't recruit to save his life. When he DID have talent, he was a dangerous coach with a dangerous team. The one time he had a lot of talent, he won the national championship.

Great coach.
LWC Wrote:He had some great seasons but couldn't recruit to save his life. When he DID have talent, he was a dangerous coach with a dangerous team. The one time he had a lot of talent, he won the national championship.

Great coach.

I look at Gary Willliams as a great example as to how different the expectations are at UK (along with a couple other high profile programs)when it comes to wins and loses and post season success. Would Gary Williams have made it 22 seasons at UK? I'm curious how people feel. I say absolutely not.
Joneslab Wrote:I look at Gary Willliams as a great example as to how different the expectations are at UK (along with a couple other high profile programs)when it comes to wins and loses and post season success. Would Gary Williams have made it 22 seasons at UK? I'm curious how people feel. I say absolutely not.

No way. Basically the same record as Tubby (20+ wins annually, 1 National title, etc.... )
Sean Miller and Maryland have expressed mutual interest in each other. This seems likely as Miller's wife is battling some allergies related to the desert.

^ Per Sports Express Facebook
^ NO WAY I'd leave Arizona to go coach in the ACC.
Stardust Wrote:^ NO WAY I'd leave Arizona to go coach in the ACC.

I wouldn't either, Just posting what I saw
I can understand the move if his wife has allergies. The wife and I moved to Jamestown, and I had NEVER had allergies until I came here. Now I have to take 2 or 3 kinds of allergy medicines and keep the grass almost bald.

With that said, I could understand the family decision to move, if it is true.
Truly one of the better coaches in college basketball as far as coaching and morals.
I dont know of many more like him, and i dont believe ive ever heard of any allegations of cheating at Maryland at all.
Sean Miller has become the primary target of Maryland and athletic director Kevin Anderson after the sudden retirement of 66-year old Gary Williams, multiple sources said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story...NHeadlines
Sean Miller told FoxSports.com that he will remain with Arizona.
^ Wonder who they are gonna go after next?
J-Rod Wrote:Sean Miller told FoxSports.com that he will remain with Arizona.

I figured there was no way the Miller would leave AZ for a mid-tier ACC job.
you can take Mike Brey from ND off the list as he's happy with ND and doesn't want the ND Job

via Dicky V Tweet