Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defend these arguments now! "Cal can't coach."
Stardust Wrote:I knew what we were getting when we hired him (look back at the comments made when UK hired him). He is NOT an X's and O's coach. Never has been. and a coach who runs up and down the sideline does NOT make an **** of a coach! It only makes a coach who runs and and down the sideline!

Stardust Wrote:Nope, not bad at all. He is an excellent recruiter and he is showing the same traits that he has always shown. It's why you can't win with just talent, you have to be an in-game coach, and with Freshman more than any other type of team, don't leave them on the floor without a plan. With a young team, don't leave timeouts in the book! Don't expect Freshman to win with talent alone, coach them in the most critical of situations. Right?

TheRealVille Wrote:I was waiting for you to jump in SD, I needed some help. I think my fellow fans were going for my head. LOL. Every point in your post is spot on. I'm not calling for his head yet, like the poster said, but I do have eyes, and can see that he isn't that great of a coach. I can't remember the saying, but some of our fellow fans remind me of the old saying about running off of the cliff or into the fire blindly following something. You probably remember the saying. What Cal does do well, is he is that he plays into UK's PR requirements very well, even if he isn't the best coach, and that will go a long ways with most UK fans and the University of KY people, until he keeps on losing in a weak conference. Until he quits trying to recruit all one and dones, UK will always win games, but inexperience will kill them every year. We need some maturity that can step up in tight situations like yesterday, and we don't have it. According to his lineup next year, we won't have it then either.

Hoot Gibson Wrote::Thumbs: Inexperience kills in the NCAA tournament's later rounds. Recruiting a one or two expected one-and-dones each year along with a few solid three or four year players is a better recipe for NCAA championship teams but a coach still has got to be able to develop talent as well as recognize talent that somebody has already developed. The jury is still out on how well Coach Cal can develop talent. It is obvious that he is not a great bench coach. But when it comes to recognizing and recruiting talented players, nobody does it better.

Hoot Gibson Wrote:How do you know how much these players have improved because of Calipari's coaching? They are getting more playing time and they are a year older. In most cases, getting playing time on top of an additional year's practice results in improved statistics.

Liggins and Miller were always very athletic players who showed flashes of brilliance. Harrellson was never on the court long enough to know how good he might become if given the opportunity.

You are kidding yourself if you believe that Coach Cal's greatest asset is his ability to recruit players who are ready to play at a high level from day one.

I enjoy watching UK play more than I have since Pitino left the program and I was extremely relieved to see Bill Gillispie sent packing. But I am not going to delude myself into thinking that John Calipari is a HOF caliber coach. He needs superior talent to win and he has always managed to recruit that talent.

Stardust Wrote:Hmmm, maybe you have proven my point for me. Cal cannot coach, he rely's on the talent to bail him out! Thank you ODM, I've been looking for my argument, and you have given it to me:notworthy

:lmao::Clap::thatsfunn:please:
.........? You've got nothing.
outdoorsman43 Wrote::lmao::Clap::thatsfunn:please:
You still think we have to like Cal to be a fan of UK? Do you not support America because you dislike Obama? I don't think there is anybody out there to fit for UK right now, but I still dislike Cal. I don't see anything in my quote I have to defend. He isn't a very good coach. He did do pretty good tonight, though.
TheRealVille Wrote:You still think we have to like Cal to be a fan of UK? Do you not support America because you dislike Obama?

Who said anything about liking him? You said he can't coach. Obviously you were proved wrong.

Was that really your argument for this thread?
I will give them the benefit of the doubt now because I do not think he is a good X's and O's coach either. However, I do think he is a good coach.

If he wins a championship and thus getting to a Final 4 with 3 different teams (unofficially), the can't coach at all statements are unwarranted.
It's not about whether or not you like the man. It's about owning up to your words when calling out his coaching ability.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Who said anything about liking him? You said he can't coach. Obviously you were proved wrong.

Was that really your argument for this thread?
Where was I proved wrong? Hoot's quote says it all. Cal has to have allstars to do good.

Hoot Gibson Wrote:How do you know how much these players have improved because of Calipari's coaching? They are getting more playing time and they are a year older. In most cases, getting playing time on top of an additional year's practice results in improved statistics.

Liggins and Miller were always very athletic players who showed flashes of brilliance. Harrellson was never on the court long enough to know how good he might become if given the opportunity.

You are kidding yourself if you believe that Coach Cal's greatest asset is his ability to recruit players who are ready to play at a high level from day one.

I enjoy watching UK play more than I have since Pitino left the program and I was extremely relieved to see Bill Gillispie sent packing. But I am not going to delude myself into thinking that John Calipari is a HOF caliber coach. He needs superior talent to win and he has always managed to recruit that talent.
Coach Cal coached a **** of a game tonight. He seem to know the Xs an Os better than most give him credit for.
If your argument for him being a good coach is outcoaching Matta, you're a moron and that's coming from an OSU fan. Matta's a clown act.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:It's not about whether or not you like the man. It's about owning up to your words when calling out his coaching ability.
I don't need to own up to anything. I still don't think he can coach very good. Tonight proves nothing, his all star players got out and made Cal look good tonight. You all tell me what he did tonight that would make him an outstanding coach, if he had mediocre players.
TheRealVille Wrote:Where was I proved wrong? Hoot's quote says it all. Cal has to have allstars to do good.

Who wins without All-Stars? Rick took the Unforgettables to the Final 4 but lost to a team with stars. Tubby took a good team that lost to Marquette that had, a future NBA All-Star. Phil Jackson has never won a title without Jordan, Shaq or Kobe. Greg Popovich never won a title without Duncan. Roy Williams didn't win without Sean May, Ray Felton, etc..., Coach K etc...... Gotta have great players, everyone does.
LWC Wrote:Who wins without All-Stars? Rick took the Unforgettables to the Final 4 but lost to a team with stars. Tubby took a good team that lost to Marquette that had, a future NBA All-Star. Phil Jackson has never won a title without Jordan, Shaq or Kobe. Greg Popovich never won a title without Duncan. Roy Williams didn't win without Sean May, Ray Felton, etc..., Coach K etc...... Gotta have great players, everyone does.
What I was saying was, show me what he did tonight that would have showcased his coaching, if he had less players than what he had?
Haters always hate. He planned a great defense. And had the offense execute perfectly with liggens. Hats off to you cal. Thank you for not kicking Harrellson off the team and just make him run for 30 minutes.
TheRealVille Wrote:I don't need to own up to anything. I still don't think he can coach very good. Tonight proves nothing, his all star players got out and made Cal look good tonight. You all tell me what he did tonight that would make him an outstanding coach, if he had mediocre players.

All-stars? At the begining of the season, was Harrellson and Liggins all-stars? And you said earlier in the other thread. That Harrellson and Liggins won the game for UK tonight. So did Harrellson and Liggins go from non all-stars at the begining of the season to all-stars by themselves? Or was it because Cal coached these boys to become key elements to our team?
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
TheRealVille Wrote:Where was I proved wrong? Hoot's quote says it all. Cal has to have allstars to do good.

This is trash. What Team, Coach, Anything wins without great players?

Coach K? Does he win without great players?
Phil?

Anyone?

Weak Statement.

If trying to win without stars makes u a good coach, it also makes u an idiot for not recruiting them.

Cal has to have allstars to do good???? you might wanna look at the talent that Ohio State, Kansas, Duke, North Carolina, Florida, etc. etc. if they don't have allstars then how are they doing so good right now?????
MisterPerfect Wrote:All-stars? At the begining of the season, was Harrellson and Liggins all-stars? And you said earlier in the other thread. That Harrellson and Liggins won the game for UK tonight. So did Harrellson and Liggins go from non all-stars at the begining of the season to all-stars by themselves? Or was it because Cal coached these boys to become key elements to our team?
Give us a game rundown then., Tell us what coaching he did to prove your point. Is your argument on his coaching abilities just based on wins or losses? Tell us what he did?
Wildcatk23 Wrote:This is trash. What Team, Coach, Anything wins without great players?

Coach K? Does he win without great players?
Phil?

Anyone?

Weak Statement.

If trying to win without stars makes u a good coach, it also makes u an idiot for not recruiting them.

Excellent post and i agree 100% :Thumbs:
Strikeout King Wrote:Cal has to have allstars to do good???? you might wanna look at the talent that Ohio State, Kansas, Duke, North Carolina, Florida, etc. etc. if they don't have allstars then how are they doing so good right now?????
Like I asked above, give us a rundown of the game that lets you know he did a good job coaching.
Cal's defensive gameplan was... I have a big body who can play with Sully one on one so I don't have to collapse and leave the wings wide open. Not real tough to figure out.
TheRealVille Wrote:Like I asked above, give us a rundown of the game that lets you know he did a good job coaching.

he won the game didn't he? don't he have us back to the Elite 8 for the 2 Straight year in his 2nd year as head coach?
TheRealVille Wrote:Give us a game rundown then., Tell us what coaching he did to prove your point. Is your argument on his coaching abilities just based on wins or losses? Tell us what he did?

How am I suppose to know? I'm not there at their practices? But you could clearly see an obvious change in both their playing abilities. So it couldn't have just happened over night.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Belfry0304 Wrote:Cal's defensive gameplan was... I have a big body who can play with Sully one on one so I don't have to collapse and leave the wings wide open. Not real tough to figure out.
You are right, Harelson did what he had to do, and I give Cal credit for using him to shut down Sully, but my point was to the rest of them here, that they only base his abilities on good wins. Where was his coaching ability when they were losing to every weak SEC team?
TheRealVille Wrote:I don't need to own up to anything. I still don't think he can coach very good. Tonight proves nothing, his all star players got out and made Cal look good tonight. You all tell me what he did tonight that would make him an outstanding coach, if he had mediocre players.

You're calling Harrellson and Liggins ''all star players"???????????? Have you lost it? I'm not kidding. Have you watched Kentucky basketball, or any basketball before?

Nothing pleases you, huh?

Hahaha, can't satisfy anyone.

This is my thread. I was an idiot for starting it. I'll close it.
I'd like to open this thread back up for those who have posted above or who agreed with the ignorance in saying that Cal "can't coach".

Want to defend yourself now? :thatsfunn
Anyone who says Cal is not a great game coach is an idiot and lying to themselves. I especially remember Dusty being in that category. It's about as wrong as you can get.
^ Bullshit vundy - you now tell me HOW he has all of a sudden become a GREAT coach? He won the title with the best talent in the country. How many titles has he LOST with the best talent in the country? Tell me how he lost with UMass? Tell me how he lost with Memphis? Tell me how he lost with UK's first team? In all cases, he had had the best talent in all three finals, he lost to inferior teams, all squandered away because of coaching in each of those games! Those games games were all cluster F*** coaching jobs, and everyone who has defended his ability as an X's and O's guy knows it. I honestly did not even know about this thread. I do think this thread is laughable! He won last season because his players were far superior to any other teams. He had the #1 and #2 player in the NBA draft. Even you could have couldn't have screwed that team up!

Do you deny that, because if you do, you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground! No vundy, as usual, you are about as wrong you can get!!!! Tell me, what has he done in a Big game that required his ability as an X's and O's coach that he has acutally won? I have always said he is the best recruiter in the nation, hands down! But put a team in the Final Four with a team of no-names! Could Coach Cal do that?????????????? You and I both know that answer! Do you think Butler's coach could have coached UK's team to a title last season????? Do you honestly think Cal could have coached Butler to two final fours - Laughable!
Stardust Wrote:^ Bullshit vundy - you now tell me HOW he has all of a sudden become a GREAT coach? He won the title with the best talent in the country. How many titles has he LOST with the best talent in the country? Tell me how he lost with UMass? Tell me how he lost with Memphis? Tell me how he lost with UK's first team? In all cases, he had had the best talent in all three finals, he lost to inferior teams, all squandered away because of coaching in each of those games! Those games games were all cluster F*** coaching jobs, and everyone who has defended his ability as an X's and O's guy knows it. I honestly did not even know about this thread. I do think this thread is laughable! He won last season because his players were far superior to any other teams. He had the #1 and #2 player in the NBA draft. Even you could have couldn't have screwed that team up!

Do you deny that, because if you do, you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground! No vundy, as usual, you are about as wrong you can get!!!! Tell me, what has he done in a Big game that required his ability as an X's and O's coach that he has acutally won? I have always said he is the best recruiter in the nation, hands down! But put a team in the Final Four with a team of no-names! Could Coach Cal do that?????????????? You and I both know that answer! Do you think Butler's coach could have coached UK's team to a title last season????? Do you honestly think Cal could have coached Butler to two final fours - Laughable!

Now Dusty, come on ole friend. When people don't like someone, they're not going to give them any credit when something goes right, but they're going to blast them when one thing goes slightly wrong. You may not like the man. But you have to give credit where credit is due. Is it not hard to get these young talented players to put aside their egos and play tough in-your-face defense? Has it not been hard to do the things he has done?

If you want to throw something Brad Stevens has done at Butler; could he have been in the same position as John Calipari and do everything he has done for this University in three years? I'm going to strongly suggest 'no'. And Butler didn't exactly have "no-names". Last time I checked Gordon Hayward, Shelvin Mack, and Matt Howard were pretty darn good players.

I didn't get this started to get you worked up there ole bird lol.

And by the way! When did "bullshit" start becoming legal on here? lol
Hell, Jim Larranaga is a better coach than Cal too because he led a "no-name" George Mason team to the Final Four.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Now Dusty, come on ole friend. When people don't like someone, they're not going to give them any credit when something goes right, but they're going to blast them when one thing goes slightly wrong. You may not like the man. But you have to give credit where credit is due. Is it not hard to get these young talented players to put aside their egos and play tough in-your-face defense? Has it not been hard to do the things he has done?

If you want to throw something Brad Stevens has done at Butler; could he have been in the same position as John Calipari and do everything he has done for this University in three years? I'm going to strongly suggest 'no'. And Butler didn't exactly have "no-names". Last time I checked Gordon Hayward, Shelvin Mack, and Matt Howard were pretty darn good players.

I didn't get this started to get you worked up there ole bird lol.

And by the way! When did "bullshit" start becoming legal on here? lol

QQ enabled a censor ship on here that allowed people to cuss and other's to see it, if some people didn't wanna see it they could enable the censor ship on their profile that took out the cuss word.