Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville College Rumor???
I have been in Florida for 2 weeks, and I get a call from someone at Pikeville today and they stated that Pikeville College was applying for NCAA Division 1.
Went on to say that they would possibly be placed in ACC or SEC?????

Is any of this true or anyone hear this????

Sounds a little far fetched to me, but I have heard they want to change name of the college and etc...
pikevilleout Wrote:I have been in Florida for 2 weeks, and I get a call from someone at Pikeville today and they stated that Pikeville College was applying for NCAA Division 1.

Sounds a little far fetched to me, but I have heard they want to change name of the college and etc...

No way. Morehead St. is a lot bigger than PC and they're in the OVC. If Pikeville was promoted to D1 I'd expect them to be placed in the OVC.
pikevilleout Wrote:I have been in Florida for 2 weeks, and I get a call from someone at Pikeville today and they stated that Pikeville College was applying for NCAA Division 1.

:Clap::thatsfunn

I love Pikeville College and I have actually wondered if they could apply for NCAA DIII with Transy?
[SIZE="4"]
[COLOR="Blue"]Shelby Valley High School:
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
MaxPreps National Champions!![/SIZE][/COLOR][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Scotty doesn't know Wrote::Clap::thatsfunn

I love Pikeville College and I have actually wondered if they could apply for NCAA DIII with Transy?

I think NAIA has better competition in most all sports than D3. I'd say D2 would be the next jump up from NAIA sports-wise.
LClion4life Wrote:I think NAIA has better competition in most all sports than D3. I'd say D2 would be the next jump up from NAIA sports-wise.

Transy made the jump a few years ago and got placed in D3... Is there a particular way that they place you?
[SIZE="4"]
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
What the ****? I believe someone stretched the truth a little.
They'd go D2 if they did a jump. They have too many scholarship athletes, and going DIII would probably cause a lot of transfers.
Id like to see it! But I just can see them doing it right now. Enjoy being atop the NAIA mountain!!!
[SIZE="4"]
That would be pretty cool but its not going to happen.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
DIII means no athletic scholarships.
I am close to pikeville and i heard a commercial on the radio today or yesterday and it said they were going to change the name of it to Pikeville University....I'm not sure if that means they are jumping up or not!!!
There were talks a year ago about going D2, which was mainly stirred by the scholarship battle the college was enduring by coaches. Kelly Wells wants to keep it the way it is from my understand and so does Football. However, soccer wants a change, so that they can recruit better talent outside the area. That was the main compeling argument a year ago not sure about it now though. Also the competition in D2 is subpar to NAIA D1
just a WAG here, but I'm thinking the person that called you had just heard part of a story about the win & caught the tail-end of "NAIA Div. 1", and confused that with going to Div. 1 in the NCAA. When I heard "Div. 1", my thought was... "NAIA has more than one division ?!?!?!"

And the name of the school has nothing to do with anything concerning placement.. How many U's are in the Mid South right now? Twelve, right?
http://www.mid-southconference.org/members.php#166
Pikeville College's name will be changed to University of Pikeville or Pikeville University because of the number of degrees offered. I heard they were leaning toward University of Pikeville so that it would be UP instead of PU. I have not heard anything about an athletic switch.
ImagineThat! Wrote:Pikeville College's name will be changed to University of Pikeville or Pikeville University because of the number of degrees offered. I heard they were leaning toward University of Pikeville so that it would be UP instead of PU. I have not heard anything about an athletic switch.

Is it not because they now offer graduate degress that they can be considered a University?
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Is it not because they now offer graduate degress that they can be considered a University?

Something like that....I wasn't sure on the specifics. I think you're correct though. It is graduate degrees instead of just degrees.

I just knew that it had to do with academics as opposed to athletics.

As far as athletics, I could possibly see them going NCAA Division II (like WVIAC schools), but I'm not sure of the specifics on scholarships and such.
A jump to Division I is a huge process. Northern Kentucky University is trying to make the jump. Here is a link to the feasibility study they had prepared. I found it interesting, maybe some of you will too.

http://nkunorse.com/custompages/guides/N...ilitystudy

If the link doesn't work try this:

http://nkunorse.com/index.aspx?tab=baske...ath=mbball

Look under the Inside Athletics tab for Division I Feasibility Study.
ImagineThat! Wrote:Something like that....I wasn't sure on the specifics. I think you're correct though. It is graduate degrees instead of just degrees.

I just knew that it had to do with academics as opposed to athletics.

As far as athletics, I could possibly see them going NCAA Division II (like WVIAC schools), but I'm not sure of the specifics on scholarships and such.

division 2 colleges may only offer partial scholarships that cover tuition, fees and books, which the school is allowed 10 scholarships. Currently with the NAIA the college determines how scholarship money is alloted. To which Pikeville does not offer a full athletic scholarship. Athletic scholarships are only aloted to X ammount of dollars following that each program must meet X ammount of players if you do not meet a roster of X ammount of players the program is penalized athletic money the following year.
I believe going D1 is out of the question.
MVP2 Wrote:I believe going D1 is out of the question.

there is no way nor should it ever happen.
houston baptist has just recently been approved to go to NCAA div 1 for the 2011-12 season. they started their petition in 2007. it is a multi-year process.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=6251198
MVP2 Wrote:I believe going D1 is out of the question.

I completely agree! I love PC but I am not really sure that they will make a jump to the NCAA.
[SIZE="4"]
D1 no, but DII I can see them in.
lol...I can't believe someone would actually think about believing they could go SEC or ACC.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:There were talks a year ago about going D2, which was mainly stirred by the scholarship battle the college was enduring by coaches. Kelly Wells wants to keep it the way it is from my understand and so does Football. However, soccer wants a change, so that they can recruit better talent outside the area. That was the main compeling argument a year ago not sure about it now though. Also the competition in D2 is subpar to NAIA D1

Each sport is handled separately so they could do whatever they like according to each sport.
Morehead is Div-I in basketball but Div-II in football.
However, I don't think you can be NAIA in one sport and NCAA in another, because your whole school is represented by the organization.
But I'd say that is what you were getting at.
I don't know if I would say Div-II NCAA is subpar to Div-I NAIA though.
That would put Div-I NAIA right under Div-I NCAA and I just can't wrap my head around that.
The NCAA has been around for over 100 years and represents the biggest colleges and Universities in the nation. NAIA has been around for maybe 50+ years and represents the smaller schools.
I could be wrong.....
but oh well lol
zaga_fan Wrote:Each sport is handled separately so they could do whatever they like according to each sport.
Morehead is Div-I in basketball but Div-II in football.
However, I don't think you can be NAIA in one sport and NCAA in another, because your whole school is represented by the organization.
But I'd say that is what you were getting at.
I don't know if I would say Div-II NCAA is subpar to Div-I NAIA though.
That would put Div-I NAIA right under Div-I NCAA and I just can't wrap my head around that.
The NCAA has been around for over 100 years and represents the biggest colleges and Universities in the nation. NAIA has been around for maybe 50+ years and represents the smaller schools.
I could be wrong.....
but oh well lol

The NAIA national tournament is the longest national championship to date this year marked I think the 73rd year (that may be wrong it is between 71 and 74 I know that for a fact). In addition previous winners of it were San Diego St. and Louisville.

You can not be NCAA and NAIA but you are correct about being in different divisions of the NCAA. As far as subpar that may have been a stretch however, its not much better.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:The NAIA national tournament is the longest national championship to date this year marked I think the 73rd year (that may be wrong it is between 71 and 74 I know that for a fact). In addition previous winners of it were San Diego St. and Louisville.

You can not be NCAA and NAIA but you are correct about being in different divisions of the NCAA. As far as subpar that may have been a stretch however, its not much better.

Wow! That is incredibly interesting! When was Louisville NAIA??
I really could see Pikeville College becoming DIII but but I really do not see the big push!
[SIZE="4"]
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Wow! That is incredibly interesting! When was Louisville NAIA??
I really could see Pikeville College becoming DIII but but I really do not see the big push!

1948 was the year they won it so at least that year up untill the time they entered the NCAA. What many dont realize is the NCAA is a voluntary membership so all these teams could drop to NAIA. In addition the first year of the NAIA National tournament was 1937. NCAA began their tournament in 1939 with Oregon winning that one.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:1948 was the year they won it so at least that year up untill the time they entered the NCAA. What many dont realize is the NCAA is a voluntary membership so all these teams could drop to NAIA. In addition the first year of the NAIA National tournament was 1937. NCAA began their tournament in 1939 with Oregon winning that one.

Pretty cool! Do you have a link or anything about the history of NAIA champions and everything?
[SIZE="4"]
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Pretty cool! Do you have a link or anything about the history of NAIA champions and everything?

The info I have is just my knowledge let me find you one though.