Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texas Tech Hires Billy Gillispie
Nobody is saying he's a great coach. Were just saying he's not a bad coach. What he's done at UTEP and Texas A&M speak for themselves.
Aslan Wrote:Nobody is saying he's a great coach. Were just saying he's not a bad coach. What he's done at UTEP and Texas A&M speak for themselves.
Are you not just a little bit suspicious how Gillispie, an alcoholic with little coaching experience, managed to immediately recruit top level talent to two horrible programs? Especially after watching what he did at Kentucky? I think UK dodged a bullet with Gillispie. Just a gut feeling but that is as much as anybody else has to go on. For the sake of Texas Tech's players, I hope Gillispie is a new man because the old man was not fit to be a head coach.
Who wouldnt want to go to a college where the coach keeps a cooler full of cold buds with him at all times..sign me up i wanna play
4_real Wrote:Who wouldnt want to go to a college where the coach keeps a cooler full of cold buds with him at all times..sign me up i wanna play

:thatsfunn

And Hoot, you can't ignore his resume. He's a good fit for Texas Tech. Just like he was a good fit for Texas A&M and UTEP. Terrible fit for UK. But I'd be willing to bet that he gets TTU to the NCAA tournament sometime in the next 3-4 years.
LClion4life Wrote::thatsfunn

And Hoot, you can't ignore his resume. He's a good fit for Texas Tech. Just like he was a good fit for Texas A&M and UTEP. Terrible fit for UK. But I'd be willing to bet that he gets TTU to the NCAA tournament sometime in the next 3-4 years.

Everybody wants to keep saying he is a good fit at Texas Tech and not UK. That is not the point; he is a jerk and treats young men the way they never deserve to be treated and treats media and school administration the same way. This is not a good fit "anywhere"! Is it not saying something that so many ex UK players, staff, media people, and school administration pushed to have the guy removed and a large percentage of the complaints had nothing to do with his coaching, but about him being a jerk.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I'll bet you're one of those guys who insisted that BCG was a changed man and a great coach when news of his previous DUI became public and he refused to sign a contract that he had already agreed to sign. The best thing about Billy Clyde Gillispie's tenure at UK was that it ended quickly.

It amazes me that UK hired an alcoholic to coach the nation's top basketball program after UK's previous alcoholic coach left the program in shambles. It amazes me even more that BCG still has so many fans who apparently believe that he was a great coach.

Well **** since were at the guessing game I'll bet you're one of those guys (since seemingly we know nothing about one another and its a fair assesment of one another), you're prob. a diehard TN fan who worships Hamiltons feet and actually thinks you have a shot at getting coaches from Hamiltons top 5 list. FYI that is complete sarcasm before you make one of your obnoxious and completely false assumptions.

What I am saying Hoot is prior to coming to Kentucky he had no disciplinary actions that were known of. No alcholism etc. He is a good (not great but good) basketball coach whom while at A&M recruited some **** good players as he had previously under Self. Did UK jump the gun after Donovan turned down the job sure they did. However, to say a guy is not a good fit anywhere, thats where I disagree. Now, the argument continues by many of you he is not fit because of altercation with Jorts. Well you know its out there now and kids know what hes done in the past. If they choose to play under him guess what its their own decision. People make mistakes and he made many during his short and dismal time at UK. However, it can not go un noticed what he had done prior. Kentucky fans are passionate and when something does not work out its should be the end of the world for the coach in question. He came to Kentucky and he failed, both parties have moved on. I will say give him 5 or 6 years and he will have that program in the NCAA tournament and I want you to write that down post it on your computer so if im wrong you can say I told you so and vise versa.
sstack Wrote:Everybody wants to keep saying he is a good fit at Texas Tech and not UK. That is not the point; he is a jerk and treats young men the way they never deserve to be treated and treats media and school administration the same way. This is not a good fit "anywhere"! Is it not saying something that so many ex UK players, staff, media people, and school administration pushed to have the guy removed and a large percentage of the complaints had nothing to do with his coaching, but about him being a jerk.

He doesn't call them selfish mother f*****s, does he?!
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:What I am saying Hoot is prior to coming to Kentucky he had no disciplinary actions that were known of. No alcholism etc.

Really?

In 1999, Gillispie was arrested on two charges: driving while intoxicated and improper use of a lane in Tulsa, Okla., where he was an assistant coach under Bill Self.

He eventually pleaded guilty to a charge of reckless driving. The other charges were dismissed.

In 2003, in his first year as head coach at the University of Texas-El Paso, he was arrested on suspicion of drunken driving. The charges eventually were dismissed after a specially appointed prosecutor decided that there was not enough evidence to suggest that Gillispie was drunk. The coach, then 43, maintained his innocence through that process.

Link
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
alfus21 Wrote:Really?

In 1999, Gillispie was arrested on two charges: driving while intoxicated and improper use of a lane in Tulsa, Okla., where he was an assistant coach under Bill Self.

He eventually pleaded guilty to a charge of reckless driving. The other charges were dismissed.

In 2003, in his first year as head coach at the University of Texas-El Paso, he was arrested on suspicion of drunken driving. The charges eventually were dismissed after a specially appointed prosecutor decided that there was not enough evidence to suggest that Gillispie was drunk. The coach, then 43, maintained his innocence through that process.

Link

I stand corrected either A) I never knew this or B) had forgotten reading this.
zaga_fan Wrote:He doesn't call them selfish mother f*****s, does he?!

Can't say I am a huge Cal fan either. He can recruit, but not a great coach of the game (in my opinion). Completely agianst the use of the above mentioned language, no place in the game for it (young men should be looking at him as a role model).
just real quick and this is just a quick generic question sstack have you ever cursed around a child? Son daughter etc?
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:just real quick and this is just a quick generic question sstack have you ever cursed around a child? Son daughter etc?

NO
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:just real quick and this is just a quick generic question sstack have you ever cursed around a child? Son daughter etc?

What answer do you really think your going to get?
Benchwarmer Wrote:What answer do you really think your going to get?

I am 43 years old and have never heard my mom swear. The first time I heard my dad swear, I was in my late 20's. I did not swear in High School or college(was raised not to and friends I hung around did not either) I do have to say that since I have been married that marriage has caused me to swear on occasion :biggrin: I do believe swearing shows signs of ignorance.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:I stand corrected either A) I never knew this or B) had forgotten reading this.

That's OK you're an expert on everything else.:eyeroll:

I wonder if he is hot on Landon Slone's trail right now?.......lol
Bob Seger Wrote:That's OK you're an expert on everything else.:eyeroll:

I wonder if he is hot on Landon Slone's trail right now?.......lol

No that would be Matt Jones of KSR who reported on his show that Landon was still with Pikeville College. Aparently he got blown up by the fan base over it to apologizing days later.
Benchwarmer Wrote:What answer do you really think your going to get?

just wondering...often those who complain in these situations are those who are hibitual in what they rant about.
sstack Wrote:I am 43 years old and have never heard my mom swear. The first time I heard my dad swear, I was in my late 20's. I did not swear in High School or college(was raised not to and friends I hung around did not either) I do have to say that since I have been married that marriage has caused me to swear on occasion :biggrin: I do believe swearing shows signs of ignorance.

Much respect then sir, FYI the marriage thing I completley understand stay positive my friend lmao.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Everyone apparently Hoot knows BCG personally to know "hes not a changed man,"..."Has not proven to be changed,"...etc etc... Hey, Hoot whats his dogs name, how many college girls have already been in his Texas home and how many bottles of whine is he down to? I understand Hoot you dont like the man for past transgressions as most UK fans do not. Did he make many mistakes while at UK yup sure did. However, lets look at the track record before stepping into HUGE SHOES.

As recurting cord at Baylor had a class ranked as high as 6th. As an assistant under Self at Illinois aided the Fighting-Illini two back to back Big Ten Champions.

2002-2003 hired at UTEP horrible record 6-28
2003-2004 Wins the conference championship (First in 12 years). 24-8 record. 18 win increased was the largest in the nation in addition one of the best ever in the NCAA. Won the TABC and was a finalist for Coach of the Year.
2004-2005- Named coach at A&M 21-10 (14 game improvement). Finished 8-8 in conference play (prior season 0-16). Won two NIT games making that 23 wins. Most by an a&M team since the 79-80 team. Big 12 COY and coached the 2005 USA Mens Trials.

2005-2006: 21-8 were ranked for the first time in 25 years. Finished 10-6 in conference play. First NCAA birth since 87. TABC COY (2nd)

2006-2007: Ended the season ranked 7. Big 12 COY. 2nd in the Conference despite beating Kansas on the road and Texas. Made it to the sweet 16 losing to who else but Cal and Memphis by 1.

His resume prior to KY was great and recruiting classes were great as well. Just not a good fit for KY and made alot of mistakes. IMO Tech will only improve with him.

Good Post. :Thumbs:
Aslan Wrote:Nobody is saying he's a great coach. Were just saying he's not a bad coach. What he's done at UTEP and Texas A&M speak for themselves.

Excatly, what I was going to say.
sstack Wrote:Can't say I am a huge Cal fan either. He can recruit, but not a great coach of the game (in my opinion). Completely agianst the use of the above mentioned language, no place in the game for it (young men should be looking at him as a role model).

I have been coaching for several years and have athletes that I have helped achieve their goals of playing at the college level. Our teams at the High School level, AAU & Travel have been very successful. Never have I have ever had to curse out a player in order to coach him. Our style has been successful without it, thus it proves that at no level does it HAVE to be appropriate to do. I have seen so often the number of posts from users that said stated that it's no big deal, they were cursed at and they were fine, that it's just about motivation!

Well then I'll ask the question this way, if you are in the classroom, and the teacher asks you to spell a word, and you miss-spell the word, how motivational is it for the teacher to then go into a cursing rant calling you out in front of all of your classmates dropping F-Bombs just to MOTIVATE you to spell better?

Or, you are flipping hamburgers at your local McDonalds, you get behind and your boss in front of all the customers and your work peers starts cursing you, what do you think your reaction is going to be?

It's not about being soft and it's NOT the real world. In the real word, your boss or teacher would be fired for such acts, but in sports, it's excused because we are just caught up in the moment. It's a lack of professionalism and a complete ego driven dominance that coaches give to themselves. Because the coaches know they can curse out their players, but let a player curse out the coach and the player is kicked off the team.

Defend a coaches actions all you want, but it is not something that needs to be part of the GAME!