Alt. Matt Hall - Johnson

1. Vince Staten - McCreay
2. Cody Mink - WAyne
3. Jared Deaton - Perry Central
4. David Krueger - AShland
Alt. Chance Blevins - Johnson Central

MOST OUTSTANDING WRESTLER
JJ JUDE - JOHNSON CENTRAL
Good to see a few boys from Belfry succeeding. I heard there was another one who made it though?
Its something that SC only has 2 guys going
Congrats on the three Cougars that are going to state plus one alternate.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
Sheldon Clark being down is a surprise, but the future is bright for them. They have a great coach who cares about the program. Also they have a monster feeder program, so Im sure them being down is a product of the transition of the program. Give them a few years and Josh will have the program back on top.

As far as Belfry, those are the official results so it looks like 2 with an alternate. They are young and as long as they keep pumping the football players into that program its going to be win win for both sports.
Also I forgot to add about Sheldon Clark, one of their top wrestlers Josh Ray ( his first name may not be josh im not 100 percent on that) who was ranked top 5 in the state shot in for a single leg in his first match and hit his opponents knee. It knocked him unconscious, and he had to leave the tournament with a concussion. So they were expected to have one more go to state.
Tough way to go out as a senior. I hope he is ok.
Congrats to those 2 then.

btw, It's AVERY Ray. Feel bad for the guy, he's a good friend.
Glad to see Lawrence Co with 2 wrestlers going to state.. Congratulations Senior Seth Rigsby 140 and Junior Blake Schaeffer 171. This team has met a lot of adversity this year.. but has represented their school very well. Thanks very much to Jerry Whalen for taking over as the Coach with only 3 weeks left in the season. Hope to see him back next year.
Belfry0304 Wrote:Congrats to those 2 then.

btw, It's AVERY Ray. Feel bad for the guy, he's a good friend.

Yeah thats it. Ive talked to the guy a few times this year and he seems like a great person. I hate that this happened to him.
CSABO17-Tell me in your own words what does it take to get a great feeder program in wrestling? We have been so close to have one or two middle school program go to state, but it really hasn't taken off. I really hope we can get to these middle school kids to come out and be a part of the team. Hopefully there was a lot of kids come out to region since it was at Letcher Central. All it can do is help them in any other sport. Johnson Central has been a beast when it comes to feeder program in both wrestling and football, and I just curious to know how you are doing it over there in perry county?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Congrats to ER's Cody Smith. This is the first year the school has had a wrestling team and the guy makes it to state.
There is a lot of new teams. Will they ever add a region or start doing districts?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Im not with Perry anymore. Havent been since 05 or 06. I officiate now.
The key to keeping a good feeder program is having someone who has the time to take over the program. Its tough for a high school coach to do it all because in order to keep the kids interested you have to practice them often and make sure they go to matches every week. A high school coach couldnt do this because he would be having his own practice and traveling with the varsity kids on weekends. So basically a head coach needs someone who can and will work with kids everyday or every other day at least.

As far as A new region or district this wont happen because of the 32 man state tournament brackets. Back in the day, there used to be districts and region before state, but state was only a 16 man bracket. In order to make more money the KHSAA got rid of the district and made 8 regions so that 32 kids in each weight class went to state. Generating more revenue for them and the city. What does need to happen is for the Regions to be re aligned. Region 8 is just getting to big, and if a few more schools start programs like they are supposed to its going to be to big. Schools like Whitley, Wayne, McCreary, and maybe even Ashland need to be re located. It made sense when they first re aligned it to all regions, but with the addition of so many schools it now is to big.
Any news on new teams forming?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Knott is looking into starting a team.
I had heard also that Jenkins was thinking about starting one.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

I think they tried to start one this year. I dont know what happened, they have a team listed on KHSAA.
What can a middle school coach do if he wanted to coach a middle school team but isn't that familiar with the layout of a season?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

The head coach should have no problem setting a coach up. All it takes is calling or emailing other coaches. You can call or email all the head coaches in the state and tell them you started a grade school program and are looking for matches. If they have any home matches they will tell you the date and thats how you make your schedule. Theres not a lot around here so be prepared to travel. Get them as many matches as possible, then just start practicing.
Luckily at that level you dont really have to worry about weight assessments and other forms that has to be turned into the KHSAA.
itzAmazing Wrote:Congrats to ER's Cody Smith. This is the first year the school has had a wrestling team and the guy makes it to state.

This is really great. good luck to Cody Smith and with ER's program next year. I also want to wish Lawrence County's Seth Rigsby and Blake Schaeffer the best of luck. Lawrence has a small team hope to see them grow in the future.
Opening round of State starts today at 4pm. I will be in Frankfort Friday and Saturday. If anyone has a specific wrestler they want me to update I will try my best. Just let me know here or through PM. Im supposed to be working a table, but I will update on breaks or at the end of the night.
If you dont have anyone specific, I will try to post as much about region 8 teams as I can.