Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I love UK Basketball....Do I have to love Cal?
Stardust Wrote:I'm not that good of an actor

None of them are.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:None of them are.

Are you kidding. Hulk Hogan? Hulk Hogan was right up there with the elite actors such as Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger!
Stardust Wrote:Are you kidding. Hulk Hogan? Hulk Hogan was right up there with the elite actors such as Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger!

I thought they was wrestlers? Smile LOL.

Gimme a slim jim there randy.
Of course you don't. I am a huge UK fan but not a Cal fan. I love his recruiting but i'm not so hot on his actual game coaching. The guy is a talker and as long as he is at UK we will get the best of the best recruits.
^ Good post foxtrot.
I realize that Coach Cal isn't a great X's and O's guy, but he's everything UK wanted after BCG was fired. He immediately brought in the nations #1 recruiting class that had 4 NBA players in it and brought that spark back that I mentioned in my first post.

I see where those who dislike Coach Cal are coming from and I'm very satisfied with him thus far and I'm also very thankful for what he's already done for UK. He doesn't have a great track record, but he's a winner and recruits the best of the best and will do whatever it takes to keep our fan-base satisfied.

Here's the way I see it though, if we're winning, the Coach Cal naysayers are going to keep quite. Once we lose a game or two that UK was supposed to win the naysayers grow legs and begin to raise questions, but hey, that's sports and part of being a fan.

I do it and so does everyone else.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I realize that Coach Cal isn't a great X's and O's guy, but he's everything UK wanted after BCG was fired. He immediately brought in the nations #1 recruiting class that had 4 NBA players in it and brought that spark back that I mentioned in my first post.

I see where those who dislike Coach Cal are coming from and I'm very satisfied with him thus far and I'm also very thankful for what he's already done for UK. He doesn't have a great track record, but he's a winner and recruits the best of the best and will do whatever it takes to keep our fan-base satisfied.

Here's the way I see it though, if we're winning, the Coach Cal naysayers are going to keep quite. Once we lose a game or two that UK was supposed to win the naysayers grow legs and begin to raise questions, but hey, that's sports and part of being a fan.

:Thumbs:
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I realize that Coach Cal isn't a great X's and O's guy, but he's everything UK wanted after BCG was fired. He immediately brought in the nations #1 recruiting class that had 4 NBA players in it and brought that spark back that I mentioned in my first post.

I can agree with all of this. :Thumbs: I'm just about one of those naysayers. If he quits losing games he should easily win, I'll stay off of his case.

First and foremost, I am not a naysayer. I stated my reasons soundly at the beginning of this thread, and I have gotten a kick out of watching the direction go all over the place. I never EVER have liked Cal. And many times I have stated that the reason I do not like Cal has nothing to do with X's and O's or whether he wins 20% of his games at UK or 99% of his games at UK. I have never liked him, and am not sure that I ever will.

I have said many times since he was hired, that I hope he wins UK championships, and I hope he does. But that does not mean I will ever come to the "side" of his charecter!

Have I questioned his ability to coach? Heck yes, and I am not convinced that he is anything other than average at "In-Game" coaching. Have I been upset with the actions he takes or the plays that he either calls or does not call, Yes: I did it with BCG, Tubby, Pitino, Sutton. I do it with Dusty and the Reds as well as Marvin and the Bengals. If that's a naysayer, then every single one of us are naysayers.

His ability to coach versus ability to recruit is an apples and oranges discussion that very few recognize. I don't care that Cal came here and put five guys in the NBA draft. All five of those guys would have been in the draft whether they played for Cal or not. So how does one give him credit for his ability to put them in the NBA?

Like I said, this thread took a life of it's own and many people have put their own words in ol'e Dusty's mouth. Trust me, there is enough **** in there that no one else needs to help put more in :biggrin:
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Gotta love uk fans.

Smile.

If we win we love them. If we lose we ready for them to leave.

true that... coach cal already got us farther than billy g could have haha
Stardust Wrote:First and foremost, I am not a naysayer. I stated my reasons soundly at the beginning of this thread, and I have gotten a kick out of watching the direction go all over the place. I never EVER have liked Cal. And many times I have stated that the reason I do not like Cal has nothing to do with X's and O's or whether he wins 20% of his games at UK or 99% of his games at UK. I have never liked him, and am not sure that I ever will.

I have said many times since he was hired, that I hope he wins UK championships, and I hope he does. But that does not mean I will ever come to the "side" of his charecter!

Have I questioned his ability to coach? Heck yes, and I am not convinced that he is anything other than average at "In-Game" coaching. Have I been upset with the actions he takes or the plays that he either calls or does not call, Yes: I did it with BCG, Tubby, Pitino, Sutton. I do it with Dusty and the Reds as well as Marvin and the Bengals. If that's a naysayer, then every single one of us are naysayers.

His ability to coach versus ability to recruit is an apples and oranges discussion that very few recognize. I don't care that Cal came here and put five guys in the NBA draft. All five of those guys would have been in the draft whether they played for Cal or not. So how does one give him credit for his ability to put them in the NBA?

Like I said, this thread took a life of it's own and many people have put their own words in ol'e Dusty's mouth. Trust me, there is enough **** in there that no one else needs to help put more in :biggrin:

You're not making any sense, you have expressed that you do not like Coach Cal and that means that you're a naysayer, hater, or whatever you would prefer to call it. Not of the team, just Cal. Now you say that you just disagree with his actions and his average in-game coaching? Which is it, do you not like him or do you not agree with his decisions? You also say that you disagreed with things BCG did, but I can recall you defending him several times just like some of us are doing with Cal.

Saying all five of those guys would have ended up in the NBA is a bit hypothetical don't you think? There were only two players coming out of last years class that I seen was going to the NBA for sure and that would be Wall & Cousins. Bledsoe wasn't highly rated in high school until after the AAU season had ended, so let's say he goes to Alabama or Auburn, does he still goto the NBA? Don't you think playing for Cal or at Kentucky had anything to do with scouts noticing him or Orton?

I'm not going to try and convince you to become pro-Calipari, but you knew what you were doing when you started this thread. You should know as UK fan that if you question anything UK basketball wise that you're going to ruffle a few feathers and I'm pretty sure that was your intent.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:You're not making any sense, you have expressed that you do not like Coach Cal and that means that you're a naysayer, hater, or whatever you would prefer to call it. Not of the team, just Cal. Now you say that you just disagree with his actions and his average in-game coaching? Which is it, do you not like him or do you not agree with his decisions? You also say that you disagreed with things BCG did, but I can recall you defending him several times just like some of us are doing with Cal.

Saying all five of those guys would have ended up in the NBA is a bit hypothetical don't you think? There were only two players coming out of last years class that I seen was going to the NBA for sure and that would be Wall & Cousins. Bledsoe wasn't highly rated in high school until after the AAU season had ended, so let's say he goes to Alabama or Auburn, does he still goto the NBA? Don't you think playing for Cal or at Kentucky had anything to do with scouts noticing him or Orton?

I'm not going to try and convince you to become pro-Calipari, but you knew what you were doing when you started this thread. You should know as UK fan that if you question anything UK basketball wise that you're going to ruffle a few feathers and I'm pretty sure that was your intent.

Very simple - I never liked Cal, well before his days of coming to UK. Simple enough??? I'm not going to re-write everything that I wrote in the first post of this thread. I've never been inconsistent. So consitent, that look at the words that I posted when Cal was just a rumor!

Do you know the definition of a naysayer? Someone who constantly disagrees with, criticizes or doubts. Constant is the key word here. Go to all of the game threads of UK basketball. A naysayer is someone who "CONSTANTLY" criticizes. I created this thread for a purpose, but that purpose is not the same as what one does "constantly"!

I said I have also disagreed with his in-game actions, just like you, just like ODM, just like others have. As you said in your original post, don't we all as fans do that????

Who you saw coming out last year was 100% your opinion. But the most important opinion was the Pre-Draft analysis that showed all of those players would be drafted. But more important than that, everyone of those players who were recruited had an NBA draft project before they ever stepped onto a college basketball court. All four of those Freshman were projected as NBA players while they were in HS. Just as Jones, Lamb and Knight have been.

I have zero qualms with anyone agreeing with or disagreeing with a coaches ability. You have not seen me chastise anyone for their like of Cal. But have I challenged those who say he is a "Great" coach? Sure, just as I have been challenged for saying he is not. So?
Stardust Wrote:Very simple - I never liked Cal, well before his days of coming to UK. Simple enough??? I'm not going to re-write everything that I wrote in the first post of this thread. I've never been inconsistent. So consitent, that look at the words that I posted when Cal was just a rumor!

Do you know the definition of a naysayer? Someone who constantly disagrees with, criticizes or doubts. Constant is the key word here. Go to all of the game threads of UK basketball. A naysayer is someone who "CONSTANTLY" criticizes. I created this thread for a purpose, but that purpose is not the same as what one does "constantly"!

I said I have also disagreed with his in-game actions, just like you, just like ODM, just like others have. As you said in your original post, don't we all as fans do that????

Who you saw coming out last year was 100% your opinion. But the most important opinion was the Pre-Draft analysis that showed all of those players would be drafted. But more important than that, everyone of those players who were recruited had an NBA draft project before they ever stepped onto a college basketball court. All four of those Freshman were projected as NBA players while they were in HS. Just as Jones, Lamb and Knight have been.

I have zero qualms with anyone agreeing with or disagreeing with a coaches ability. You have not seen me chastise anyone for their like of Cal. But have I challenged those who say he is a "Great" coach? Sure, just as I have been challenged for saying he is not. So?

You obviously never kept up with Eric Bledsoe's or Daniel Orton's recruitment to say that either was a projected NBA player in high school. Wall & Cousins where, but like I asked before, did Bledsoe & Orton playing for Coach Cal raise their NBA stock? Imagine if both would have played under BCG, where would the both of them be today? Cal never recruited him or Orton while he was at Memphis, but BCG did at UK and both either where or had basically already committed to UK when BCG was here. Several players transferred out and Cal ended up giving both of these guys a call and secured their commitment to UK because they where the top players left in the class of 2010.

Obviously you have it set in your mind that both of those players where already projected NBA players (I would love to see proof), because neither where McDonalds All-Americans, which is the most prestigious high school all-american game out there, not the Derby Festival in Louisville that both Orton & Bledsoe competed in.

I don't have a problem with the fact that you don't like Cal and I may criticize him from time-to-time, but I don't 'constantly' do it. I also think that Coach Cal is a great coach in his own way. He's not the X's and O's guys like I've mentioned before that Izzo or Coach K are, but he's everything a college basketball fan wants because he gets the best recruits, gets his teams on national television, wins 30+ games every season, raises a ton of money for independent charity organizations, and he isn't afraid to travel to all parts of the state yearly and spend time with fans.

I don't think that we (UK fans) could honestly ask for more. We expect the very best and that's what he's here to deliver and in just one and a half years he's done a pretty **** good job.
Im just curious dusty. You say that Lebron James is a great basketball player. Well you say hes the most athletic player of all time. Well he has never won that big game that u say cal is lacking. What the difference?
Huhn? What does that have to do with anything? I never said I didn't like Cal because he's not won the big game or whether I think he is an X's and O's guy. Have you read my of my posts? And when, WHEN, have I ever siad he has not won the Big game? Please tell me when I said that! I have never said a player is great or not great because they have won championships. I have never EVER said a coach is great or not great based on a championship won!

I don't like Cal and I've been clear about why.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Im just curious dusty. You say that Lebron James is a great basketball player. Well you say hes the most athletic player of all time. Well he has never won that big game that u say cal is lacking. What the difference?

:Clap:
Stardust Wrote:Huhn? What does that have to do with anything? I never said I didn't like Cal because he's not won the big game or whether I think he is an X's and O's guy. Have you read my of my posts? And when, WHEN, have I ever siad he has not won the Big game? Please tell me when I said that! I have never said a player is great or not great because they have won championships. I have never EVER said a coach is great or not great based on a championship won!

I don't like Cal and I've been clear about why.

Oh u have said it. And i will find it.