Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Landon Slone is done at Pikeville College
Best of luck to Slone in whatever he wishes to do in his future. I was never impressed with his basketball skills and am not surprised he wasn't playing much or performing in college. He had no chance of playin and contributing in the SEC and for whatever reason it seems the same at Pikeville. The kid can flat out shoot the ball, but there isn't much college basketball to be played by 6'3 slow and unathletic guards. Just stating the facts, I have nothing against the kid.
This is a kid who went from being a star in high school, to the University of Kentucky, the most storied program in the country, now can you imagine having to come back to eastern ky and play at Pikeville College(nothing at all against PC because they are building a good program) but to have reached the top like he did, and then all of a sudden its all gone, that has to be traumatic for a young kid, and then to come to PC, and there are players there that are better, and you have to sit the bench, at some point you know he is realizing that his dream is not going to be a reality.....wow it has to be tough on him, so we should cut the young man some slack, give him time to adjust to life without basketball, and we should all wish him the best!!!! just my opinion!! GOOD LUCK Landon in what ever you do!!!!!!!!
lil dog Wrote:This is a kid who went from being a star in high school, to the University of Kentucky, the most storied program in the country, now can you imagine having to come back to eastern ky and play at Pikeville College(nothing at all against PC because they are building a good program) but to have reached the top like he did, and then all of a sudden its all gone, that has to be traumatic for a young kid, and then to come to PC, and there are players there that are better, and you have to sit the bench, at some point you know he is realizing that his dream is not going to be a reality.....wow it has to be tough on him, so we should cut the young man some slack, give him time to adjust to life without basketball, and we should all wish him the best!!!! just my opinion!! GOOD LUCK Landon in what ever you do!!!!!!!!

For one thing you have to remember that during his senior season Bill Mike repeatedly stated that there was no one interested in him. That was his statement to the media on several occasions. You also have to know that his grandfather is very wealthy and talk at the time was that was what got him a walkon invitation from Gillispie. Bill Mike was also the rumor of being a recipitant of special "favors" as long as he correctly played the "hype" game to the scouts. I dont think that he really reached the top on his "talent merits". He obviously didn't belong there. Has it been so long ago that you cant remember that at the time UK was a laughing stock of major college basketball? Hardly the top, as you phrased it. I think he found out quickly that he had no business at Morehead as well after his one week of pickup ball, and I dont think it took much of an expert to figure out that the Mid South would be an insurmountable mountain as well. That certainly did come to pass. With all this talk of Westly Christian, for a kid with no coaching experience at all, one has to wonder if Papaw aint alurkin in the background there as well.
Bob Seger Wrote:For one thing you have to remember that during his senior season Bill Mike repeatedly stated that there was no one interested in him. That was his statement to the media on several occasions. You also have to know that his grandfather is very wealthy and talk at the time was that was what got him a walkon invitation from Gillispie. Bill Mike was also the rumor of being a recipitant of special "favors" as long as he correctly played the "hype" game to the scouts. I dont think that he really reached the top on his "talent merits". He obviously didn't belong there. Has it been so long ago that you cant remember that at the time UK was a laughing stock of major college basketball? Hardly the top, as you phrased it. I think he found out quickly that he had no business at Morehead as well after his one week of pickup ball, and I dont think it took much of an expert to figure out that the Mid South would be an insurmountable mountain as well. That certainly did come to pass. With all this talk of Westly Christian, for a kid with no coaching experience at all, one has to wonder if Papaw aint alurkin in the background there as well.

Well for one thing I don't make statements based on hear say, or rumors, as for me stating he made it to the top, I was simply saying that for most high school players in this state think they are at the top if they make it on the floor in a UK uniform, and I know that people in eastern KY, and his home town were pulling for him( as they should be) !!!! As for his talents I am not even going to go into that because the fact remains that he was on the University of Kentucky's basketball team, and it has to be hard to come home and face all of your supporters knowing that you were no longer wanted at the most storied program in the country!! I dont know his papaw or anything about him, and who really cares about him....I dont, I do know that there is a young man who is probably struggling with the fact that he didnt make it at pikeville college, so we need to cut him some slack, and wish him all the best....thats all I'm saying!!!!!!!!!!!
lil dog Wrote:Well for one thing I don't make statements based on hear say, or rumors, as for me stating he made it to the top, I was simply saying that for most high school players in this state think they are at the top if they make it on the floor in a UK uniform, and I know that people in eastern KY, and his home town were pulling for him( as they should be) !!!! As for his talents I am not even going to go into that because the fact remains that he was on the University of Kentucky's basketball team, and it has to be hard to come home and face all of your supporters knowing that you were no longer wanted at the most storied program in the country!! I dont know his papaw or anything about him, and who really cares about him....I dont, I do know that there is a young man who is probably struggling with the fact that he didnt make it at pikeville college, so we need to cut him some slack, and wish him all the best....thats all I'm saying!!!!!!!!!!!

Reasonable post, dog.
There are tons of athletes at big time schools that are not truly talented enough to be there, but you have to fill out a roster. Landon was one of these and in my mind there is nothing wrong with that. How many of us played at UK or a similar school? I would venture to say not many. Best of luck to him.
Good Luck Lando! Most importanly finish your education son!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
Bob Seger Wrote:Risk getting hurt???? Do what???? What kind of thought process is that?

Besides, 99.9% of everybody that plays the game will all end up with the same result. I dont care what level they are playing at.

Reckon it had anything to do with him not being the over hyped exhalted goldenboy any more, and he just couldn't handle that?

He was far less hyped than many from the 15th. Had one great game at Rupp and a drunk offered him a spot at UK. Yeah, chances are the kid don't have what it takes to play college basketball. Just glad he still don't coach UK. Imagine.... Slone, Justice, Euton, Hood, Pilgrim, Donald Williams, Vilarino, and and bunch of non-qualifers. We would be dominating !
Bottom line, Slone wasn't good enought to play at PC. I don't want to hear this crap about coming from UK and not having the heart blah blah blah. It all boils down to PT. I can understand him being upset after all that was promised to him in regards to PT, but at the end of the day it all came down to him not being athletic enough. I think that he would have been much better suited at a D3 school like Centre or Transy, where its more of a pure game and less about athleticism like NAIA is. You ask anyone that has watched the top NAIA schools in both football and basketball the athleticism is up there with D1-AA (football) and teams like Gtown have proven they can compete with D1 teams on a regular basis. If the kid doesn't want to play , then thats his business, but he should have atleast finished the season. By not doing so he is opening himself up to this sort of criticism. It seems as if these days a lot of kids don't want to work for anything, and want to have everything given to them, and when things don't go as planned, they quit. Slone was a sophomore on the court. He had two years left to get better and work on his game, and have a chance a decent career. But instead has squandered that opportunity. I hope this isn't something that haunts him in his old age. Either way, goodluck to the guy in whatever he does.
This guy cant stay on the team anywhere
Everybody please choose your words wisely, and remember, Landon is still a kid, and reads this stuff. He did the best he could, why not just congratulate him on making it as far as he did.
Bob Seger Wrote:Hey there "'crazy", reckon it's the offcourt guy they are talking about?

Were you one of Lando's Commandos back in the day? lol!!!

Bob Seger Wrote:What, no press conference? No interview from WYMT? No drama?

Bob, you sound an awful lot like a Johnson Central homer. Be a Johnson county man. He is from your county. The football kid from JC a couple of years ago(I can't remember his name), I wanted with all my heart to see that kid go on and make us all proud. There is absolutely nothing to gain for people to get on here and ridicule Landon. He is somebody's kid, it could be one of ours someday.
Technically Landon isn't from Johnson County.

He was born and raised in Martin (Floyd County) and if it weren't for BMR, he would've went to Prestonsburg or Allen Central.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Technically Landon isn't from Johnson County.

He was born and raised in Martin (Floyd County) and if it weren't for BMR, he would've went to Prestonsburg or Allen Central.

BUT, He didn't and we love him!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
OffTheHook Wrote:BUT, He didn't and we love him!

Touché
TheRealVille Wrote:Bob, you sound an awful lot like a Johnson Central homer. Be a Johnson county man. He is from your county. The football kid from JC a couple of years ago(I can't remember his name), I wanted with all my heart to see that kid go on and make us all proud. There is absolutely nothing to gain for people to get on here and ridicule Landon. He is somebody's kid, it could be one of ours someday.

Homer??? Dont think you'll find to many posts from me bragging on JC basketball. Kinda been the opposite. This is not the highschool forum RV. I dont think me or anyone else has not said a word that is not legit and true. Sometimes you make your own bed, ya know. He did bail out on his teammates in mid season, correct? If it was Harrellson or Vargas and they pulled that stunt, those kids are fair game though right? I bet you would be blasting them along with a bunch of good riddances. Sure I'm right. Have you partaken in blasting some of the subpar UK players, either football or basketball before? He's kinda like yourself RV, he's not from Johnson Co. to begin with.
Bob Seger Wrote:Homer??? Dont think you'll find to many posts from me bragging on JC basketball. Kinda been the opposite. This is not the highschool forum RV. I dont think me or anyone else has not said a word that is not legit and true. Sometimes you make your own bed, ya know. He did bail out on his teammates in mid season, correct? If it was Harrellson or Vargas and they pulled that stunt, those kids are fair game though right? I bet you would be blasting them along with a bunch of good riddances. Sure I'm right. Have you partaken in blasting some of the subpar UK players, either football or basketball before? He's kinda like yourself RV, he's not from Johnson Co. to begin with.
It just seems the way you blast him, that you were a JC guy. No, actually, I don't blast players on a personal basis. If I do any blasting, I do it to the team as a whole. No, I'm not originally from Johnson as a kid, and no he's not, but what difference does that make when supporting our Johnson county kids? I've been here for many years. My youngest daughter has went to school in Johnson her whole life, and she is 16. I think that qualifies me, don't you think. What does my not originally being from Johnson have to do with anything? Actually, I would say both sides of my family(Preston and Rice) have longer Johnson county roots than a very big part of this county, but what difference does that make? My grandmother was born, raised and lived on the property of the present day Paul B. Hall hospital. You would be hard pressed to go for any mile down 40 towards Salyersville in Oil Springs and not find people I'm related to. Have I given you enough of my Johnson county blood history yet? I merely said, choose words wisely, they can sting.
I never said you bragged on JC basketball, but you are a JC homer, though it be baseball you keep track of. Remember now Bob, I know who you were when you used the other name. With the eggs that were thrown at my truck by a JC football player, and the $500 it cost me to get that side painted back, I've got more reason than anybody on this forum to bash and wish the worst for JC kids in their college careers, but you don't see me do it. I know they were kids doing kid stuff. I even go to the JC football motorcycle ride every year to help them raise money for the kids. All Johnson county kids are our kids to support, and not cut down.
TheRealVille Wrote:I never said you bragged on JC basketball, but you are a JC homer, though it be baseball you keep track of. Remember now Bob, I know who you were when you used the other name. With the eggs that were thrown at my truck by a JC football player, and the $500 it cost me to get that side painted back, I've got more reason than anybody on this forum to bash and wish the worst for JC kids in their college careers, but you don't see me do it. I know they were kids doing kid stuff. I even go to the JC football motorcycle ride every year to help them raise money for the kids. All Johnson county kids are our kids to support, and not cut down.

Oh baloney you're just making stuff up now. My sentiments have nothing to do with anybody going to Paintsville. It's just like Blackcat said, the only reason that he even came here was because of BM. It had nothing to do with him wanting to be a Johnson Co. boy or loving Paintsville High School. It was all about gaining some sort of advantage for himself. That in it's self is nothing new and happens all the time, so that's not the deal here. The deal is the political ploys to gain him an advantage over everyone else. It is money and power and influence that drived everything from the high school years to every aspect of his post high school career. You remember the "Lando's Commandos" Tshirts momma had printed up? Not "Go Paintsville" Tshirts, but my son the star's Tshirts. You didn't see any "Grimm's Guerrilas" or "Pugh's Pulverizers" or how about "Blake's Bandits" Tshirt's that their mommas had printed up anywhere did you? What about momma's public bashing of certain players on the team, because they wouldn't pass her son the ball enough? This is a team game right? It's everything that you should despise. How many kids have you seen go public to try to gain fan sympathy to gain a spot on the UK team and then try those same ploys to get back on the team when the new coach decides he doesn't fit into the team's future. Yeah, it's every kids dream to be a wildcat so I dont want to here all that junk about his boyhood dreams. How many kids have you ever seen transfer to another college, stay a week, quit and then call a press conference with WYMT to announce that he has quit the Morehead team, because "It feels like your cheating on your girlfriend"? Huh, how many? How many players have ever had a press conference and an interview because they QUIT. How many RV? That is the first time in history that has had to have happened. The disapointing part is WYMT fell for it hook , line, and sinker. Perhaps pap donated to have that aired too. Who knows.The only thing is the big plan failed. It was all a ploy to garner sympathy and support from UK fans to force Calipari to let him rejoin the team, but Calipari showed that just wasn't going to be pressured . Ok, now when we join Pikeville ,here we go again, we have another big PRESS CONFERENCE to announce we have decided to become a Bear, and oh how happy we are to be a Bear. Remember that one? Sure you do. Now the season is half over and his name aint flashing in the marquee and he's no longer the talk of the town, the golden boy of the sports blogs, etc., etc., etc. We're just a regular Joe now. One who has to earn his playing time like everyone else. Well that doesn't work because the other guys are better and they get the PT like they are supposed to because they earn it. So right in the middle of everything because we just dont have the heart anymore we quit there too. What about waiting until the end of the season to call it a career? At least try to help the TEAM advance as far as they can. What about at least finishing the season as a jesture to show the folks at Pikeville College your appreciation for giving me a shot to be a Bear? What's wrong with that? The whole thing has been nothing but a media circus from the very beginning. I just dont care for the Neon Light Show is all. I am really happy for Elijah Justice because he made it on his own because he earned it, and he has done very well. I rooted for Louisville to beat UK, because of him. I want to see all DESERVING local kids do well. There is the difference RV and the reasoning. This carefully orchestrated dog and pony show should have been a turn off to you and everybody else as well, because it has never been anything more than a Me, Me, Me production.....
Bob Seger Wrote:Oh baloney you're just making stuff up now. My sentiments have nothing to do with anybody going to Paintsville. It's just like Blackcat said, the only reason that he even came here was because of BM. It had nothing to do with him wanting to be a Johnson Co. boy or loving Paintsville High School. It was all about gaining some sort of advantage for himself. That in it's self is nothing new and happens all the time, so that's not the deal here. The deal is the political ploys to gain him an advantage over everyone else. It is money and power and influence that drived everything from the high school years to every aspect of his post high school career. You remember the "Lando's Commandos" Tshirts momma had printed up? Not "Go Paintsville" Tshirts, but my son the star's Tshirts. You didn't see any "Grimm's Guerrilas" or "Pugh's Pulverizers" or how about "Blake's Bandits" Tshirt's that their mommas had printed up anywhere did you? What about momma's public bashing of certain players on the team, because they wouldn't pass her son the ball enough? This is a team game right? It's everything that you should despise. How many kids have you seen go public to try to gain fan sympathy to gain a spot on the UK team and then try those same ploys to get back on the team when the new coach decides he doesn't fit into the team's future. Yeah, it's every kids dream to be a wildcat so I dont want to here all that junk about his boyhood dreams. How many kids have you ever seen transfer to another college, stay a week, quit and then call a press conference with WYMT to announce that he has quit the Morehead team, because "It feels like your cheating on your girlfriend"? Huh, how many? How many players have ever had a press conference and an interview because they QUIT. How many RV? That is the first time in history that has had to have happened. The disapointing part is WYMT fell for it hook , line, and sinker. Perhaps pap donated to have that aired too. Who knows.The only thing is the big plan failed. It was all a ploy to garner sympathy and support from UK fans to force Calipari to let him rejoin the team, but Calipari showed that just wasn't going to be pressured . Ok, now when we join Pikeville ,here we go again, we have another big PRESS CONFERENCE to announce we have decided to become a Bear, and oh how happy we are to be a Bear. Remember that one? Sure you do. Now the season is half over and his name aint flashing in the marquee and he's no longer the talk of the town, the golden boy of the sports blogs, etc., etc., etc. We're just a regular Joe now. One who has to earn his playing time like everyone else. Well that doesn't work because the other guys are better and they get the PT like they are supposed to because they earn it. So right in the middle of everything because we just dont have the heart anymore we quit there too. What about waiting until the end of the season to call it a career? At least try to help the TEAM advance as far as they can. What about at least finishing the season as a jesture to show the folks at Pikeville College your appreciation for giving me a shot to be a Bear? What's wrong with that? The whole thing has been nothing but a media circus from the very beginning. I just dont care for the Neon Light Show is all. I am really happy for Elijah Justice because he made it on his own because he earned it, and he has done very well. I rooted for Louisville to beat UK, because of him. I want to see all DESERVING local kids do well. There is the difference RV and the reasoning. This carefully orchestrated dog and pony show should have been a turn off to you and everybody else as well, because it has never been anything more than a Me, Me, Me production.....
Except for the very first sentence, everything you said might be true, but why talk about the kid? What good does it do? Now, let's talk about your first sentence, what did I make up? You tell me exactly what I made up, and I'll give you the very specifics you are looking for. BTW, knowing details about me that you have claimed to know since you arrived on this forum, there is only one guy in Johnson county that knows these things, because I have talked to him privately about it. Unless you have talked to him out on the street and he told you things, you are the same guy with a different name on this forum. If you are that guy, you know that I ride in the JC poker run every year, and you also know all the details about my truck getting egged, in front of my house, by a JC football player. I have talked about that also. I can also show you the receipt from the body shop that painted it. I also have the name of the kid that did it, another JC player told me about it, as well as the state police who investigated it. The SP couldn't prove it though, or they would have got him. It doesn't matter if I had caught him red handed, politics in this county would have stopped it dead in it's tracks. I still wish well for JC kids, as well as PV kids. I support all county kids. Feel free to stop me when I'm not telling the truth.
TheRealVille Wrote:Except for the very first sentence, everything you said might be true, but why talk about the kid? What good does it do? Now, let's talk about your first sentence, what did I make up? You tell me exactly what I made up, and I'll give you the very specifics you are looking for. BTW, knowing details about me that you have claimed to know since you arrived on this forum, there is only one guy in Johnson county that knows these things, because I have talked to him privately about it. Unless you have talked to him out on the street and he told you things, you are the same guy with a different name on this forum.

The Homer part. I have never made reference to any school on any subject as a basis or bias for anything I post. And you know that, and you cannot deny that. I'm not going to get into any silly childish jibber jabber you want to cook up. I will simply not respond. You know the old saying about watching who you argue with because..................
Bob Seger Wrote:The Homer part. I have never made reference to any school on any subject as a basis or bias for anything [B]I post.[/B] And you know that, and you cannot deny that. I'm not going to get into any silly childish jibber jabber you want to cook up. I will simply not respond. You know the old saying about watching who you argue with because..................
No, you haven't as Bob Seger, but............ If the owner of this forum did a simple IP search, he would see that you are who I think you are. That guy said stuff about being a JC baseball fan. You have to be him, you knew stuff about me only he knew(through private discussions), and you knew on your first week you joined in Sept, 10.
TheRealVille Wrote:No, you haven't as Bob Seger, but............ If the owner of this forum did a simple IP search, he would see that you are who I think you are. That guy said stuff about being a JC baseball fan. You have to be him, you knew stuff about me only he knew(through private discussions), and you knew on your first week you joined in Sept, 10.

lol, keep up the childish jibber jabber.
I hope Landon looks at the whole picture and remembers that his education is the most important thing.
letthebighogroot Wrote:He was far less hyped than many from the 15th. Had one great game at Rupp and a drunk offered him a spot at UK. Yeah, chances are the kid don't have what it takes to play college basketball. Just glad he still don't coach UK. Imagine.... Slone, Justice, Euton, Hood, Pilgrim, Donald Williams, Vilarino, and and bunch of non-qualifers. We would be dominating !

LMAO, that's hilarious. And if Billy G was still coach, that's probably about what it would look like. I'd take Justice over all of em though.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
Redneck Wrote:LMAO, that's hilarious. And if Billy G was still coach, that's probably about what it would look like. I'd take Justice over all of em though.
I also think Justice is the best of the lot.
letthebighogroot Wrote:Imagine.... Slone, Justice, Euton, Hood, Pilgrim, Donald Williams, Vilarino, and and bunch of non-qualifers. We would be dominating !

Justice please, Pilgrim proved to be the best player!
Did anyone actually find out why he quit the team midseason?

As for some of the other posts, Landon is not from Paintsville, he went to high school there. Big difference! Second, he isn't a kid any more. The boy is old enough to drink for crying out loud. He is a man now. Third, anyone who has multiple press conferences to announce they are going to play ball at different schools opens themselves up to criticism when they don't even finish the season. If you want to walk away in the dark then don't arrive in all the lights. Fourth, why would any high school team hire a fresh graduate with no experience to coach their team?? Makes no sense whatsoever, but then where is Wesley Christian?? Fifth, I don't know the kid well, but I wouldn't have been allowed to quit a tee ball team let alone some place to put enough faith in me to offer me a scholarship to play Pikeville was nice enough to continue it througout the school year. Someone should teach Landon that things don't always go your way so stick them out and learn something from it. If he has the attitude this exhibits then he will have trouble forever. At least he didn't have another press conference to say he was leaving the team to take a top position on an intramural squad.

Winning!!
EKYINNKY Wrote:Did anyone actually find out why he quit the team midseason?

As for some of the other posts, Landon is not from Paintsville, he went to high school there. Big difference! Second, he isn't a kid any more. The boy is old enough to drink for crying out loud. He is a man now. Third, anyone who has multiple press conferences to announce they are going to play ball at different schools opens themselves up to criticism when they don't even finish the season. If you want to walk away in the dark then don't arrive in all the lights. Fourth, why would any high school team hire a fresh graduate with no experience to coach their team?? Makes no sense whatsoever, but then where is Wesley Christian?? Fifth, I don't know the kid well, but I wouldn't have been allowed to quit a tee ball team let alone some place to put enough faith in me to offer me a scholarship to play Pikeville was nice enough to continue it througout the school year. Someone should teach Landon that things don't always go your way so stick them out and learn something from it. If he has the attitude this exhibits then he will have trouble forever. At least he didn't have another press conference to say he was leaving the team to take a top position on an intramural squad.

Winning!!
Wonder if he regrets this decision now that Pikeville is playing in the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP...:HitWall:
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH