Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Calipari criticized for cursing players!
Hoot Gibson Wrote::Thumbs: Exactly. There is a big difference in a coach screaming at the team in a huddle and telling the team that they are playing like a bunch of selfish mother*******s and singling a player out publicly and telling him that he is a selfish mother******. The cursing is wrong but tone and how it is targeted can make it much "wronger." Calipari absolutely did the right thing by making a public apology to Jones, not for cursing but for publicly embarrassing him.

Hoot, I know you've mentioned your son's playing high school football. Were they ever cursed at?? I don't think Cal meant for it to be public, so to say he publicly singled him out is wrong. He may have been singled out but he deserved to be just not publicly and as Cal said he was caught in the moment. Cal and Jones have both handled themselves well given the situation.
The Blue Blur Wrote:Hoot, I know you've mentioned your son's playing high school football. Were they ever cursed at?? I don't think Cal meant for it to be public, so to say he publicly singled him out is wrong. He may have been singled out but he deserved to be just not publicly and as Cal said he was caught in the moment. Cal and Jones have both handled themselves well given the situation.
Cursed at - no, not to my knowledge. Did they or I ever play for coaches that cursed? Certainly we did and I have no real problem with that. I did witness coaches being abusive to some of my teammates and i never understood why they tolerated that kind of treatment.

I saw a head basketball coach lose his temper and throw (not toss) at close range a basketball into the back of a player's head. I also saw him make the same player walk onto the home court of our biggest rival, Paintsville, and mark the spot that he was supposed to be playing in a 2-3 zone during a timeout. The player simply had not heard that we were switching from a man-to-man. He played as hard and loved the game as much as anybody on the team but his family was part of the wrong political faction.

I think coaches like that are bullies who know that some players will take any kind of treatment to play and those are the guys that they pick on and use as examples.

Had a coach called me what Calipari called Jones, one or both of us would probably have hit the ground. There is no excuse for that kind of loss of control and public show of disrespect. Those are what used to pass as fighting words and Calipari is lucky that Jones did not just walk off the court and leave him standing there - or worse.

For those who think it is okay for a coach to curse at his players, they should ask themselves how recruiters might portray Cal's public outburst to potential UK recruits. Cal is on top of the world right now as a recruiter but a few more incidents like the one with Jones could change that in a hurry. After Bobby Knight's three national championships the negative publicity surrounding his anger management issues made it impossible for him to recruit as well as he should have.
Nothing wrong with folks. It starts in middle school. accept it.
zaga_fan Wrote:We disagree...

I understand he has his freedom of speech and I also believe that you have to deal with stuff like that sometimes.
Cursing should never be a solidified part of anything in a public forum IMO

totally agree
BIGREDDAWG Wrote:Show me an example were Coach Tubby Smith cursed his kids.
It's one thing to say a cuss word and its another to belittle and curse a young man.

I dont have to. Like i said, if they dont like it LEAVE. It's that simple.
These arent boys, there men. If a sixth grader was getting cursed at you may have a point, but your irrelevant at this point.
Unless you set around and watch QVC all day you know it happens. He was playing horribly and Cal got on to him. Big deal.
The Blue Blur Wrote:Hoot, I know you've mentioned your son's playing high school football. Were they ever cursed at?? I don't think Cal meant for it to be public, so to say he publicly singled him out is wrong. He may have been singled out but he deserved to be just not publicly and as Cal said he was caught in the moment. Cal and Jones have both handled themselves well given the situation.

Hoot Gibson Wrote:Cursed at - no, not to my knowledge. Did they or I ever play for coaches that cursed? Certainly we did and I have no real problem with that. I did witness coaches being abusive to some of my teammates and i never understood why they tolerated that kind of treatment.

I saw a head basketball coach lose his temper and throw (not toss) at close range a basketball into the back of a player's head. I also saw him make the same player walk onto the home court of our biggest rival, Paintsville, and mark the spot that he was supposed to be playing in a 2-3 zone during a timeout. The player simply had not heard that we were switching from a man-to-man. He played as hard and loved the game as much as anybody on the team but his family was part of the wrong political faction.

I think coaches like that are bullies who know that some players will take any kind of treatment to play and those are the guys that they pick on and use as examples.

Had a coach called me what Calipari called Jones, one or both of us would probably have hit the ground. There is no excuse for that kind of loss of control and public show of disrespect. Those are what used to pass as fighting words and Calipari is lucky that Jones did not just walk off the court and leave him standing there - or worse.

For those who think it is okay for a coach to curse at his players, they should ask themselves how recruiters might portray Cal's public outburst to potential UK recruits. Cal is on top of the world right now as a recruiter but a few more incidents like the one with Jones could change that in a hurry. After Bobby Knight's three national championships the negative publicity surrounding his anger management issues made it impossible for him to recruit as well as he should have.

My son, who graduates this season, has had similar coaches. But like you, I don't think I have ever seen abusive coaches.

I guess the lesson for everyone, especially the Cal worshipers, this is an incident that Cal got caught in the act. Which means, it's not the first and not the last. If he did this, it's because it is his nature. It's another chink in that armor. If he can do this, he certainly can do other things that you don't see because it is hidden from the public.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I dont have to. Like i said, if they dont like it LEAVE. It's that simple.
These arent boys, there men. If a sixth grader was getting cursed at you may have a point, but your irrelevant at this point.
Unless you set around and watch QVC all day you know it happens. He was playing horribly and Cal got on to him. Big deal.

I don't know how old you are, but if your over 18 I am really disappointed. And yet, your type of attitude shouldn't be that surprising with all this hogwash rap that some call music today. It's really pathetic, with all the filth, but that seems to be the attitude with many in our society. Sad. But, anyway you have your opinion I have mine. I would not want to subject a son of mine to belittling and such arrogance. IMO a coach should never curse a player and that is much different than just cussing once in a while. But, wait and see in a few years UK will have another Billy Clyde situation on their hands and they will have to pay Calipari a bunch of money when he is forced to leave. Then all the ticket prices will go up again and their fans that attend games will have to pay for it. I have never had much respect for cheating and belittling coaches. So, I feel that this is very relevant. And no, I work for a living, so I don't sit around and watch TV and draw a check. And I see this poor attitude every day in the alternative school that I teach in and it's very troubling.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Cursed at - no, not to my knowledge. Did they or I ever play for coaches that cursed? Certainly we did and I have no real problem with that. I did witness coaches being abusive to some of my teammates and i never understood why they tolerated that kind of treatment.

:Thumbs:
BIGREDDAWG Wrote:I don't know how old you are, but if your over 18 I am really disappointed. And yet, your type of attitude shouldn't be that surprising with all this hogwash rap that some call music today. It's really pathetic, with all the filth, but that seems to be the attitude with many in our society. Sad. But, anyway you have your opinion I have mine. I would not want to subject a son of mine to belittling and such arrogance. IMO a coach should never curse a player and that is much different than just cussing once in a while. But, wait and see in a few years UK will have another Billy Clyde situation on their hands and they will have to pay Calipari a bunch of money when he is forced to leave. Then all the ticket prices will go up again and their fans that attend games will have to pay for it. I have never had much respect for cheating and belittling coaches. So, I feel that this is very relevant. And no, I work for a living, so I don't sit around and watch TV and draw a check. And I see this poor attitude every day in the alternative school that I teach in and it's very troubling.

Yes im over 18, passed it up many years ago actually.
Im not saying i agree with cursing at players. Im not even saying i like it.
Yes i have a job to. But not one where i work so much i don t even have time to turn a tv on:please:

But, once again, these men signed there letter of intent to play for him. So, with that being said, if they dont agree with something all they have to do is transfer. I believe its the only way to get some players attention.
Your a Corbin fan, so tell me this, do you think Jewell has ever cursed a player? or even said a curse word around him? If you said no your crazy. I know better.
I just think this thing was blown way out of proportion and Cal had every right to defend hisself instead of apologizing.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Yes im over 18, passed it up many years ago actually.
Im not saying i agree with cursing at players. Im not even saying i like it.
Yes i have a job to. But not one where i work so much i don t even have time to turn a tv on:please:

But, once again, these men signed there letter of intent to play for him. So, with that being said, if they dont agree with something all they have to do is transfer. I believe its the only way to get some players attention.
Your a Corbin fan, so tell me this, do you think Jewell has ever cursed a player? or even said a curse word around him? If you said no your crazy. I know better.
I just think this thing was blown way out of proportion and Cal had every right to defend hisself instead of apologizing.

I'm fully aware that coaches on all levels curse players and yes, even at Corbin, but I don't agree with it. Again, it's one thing to curse because a player screws up or whatever, but it's another to curse, berate, or belittle the player. That is what I have a problem with. I really can't imagine Calipari trying to defend himself...what would he say? Something like.. "Uh, yea I think he is a m*****f***** and a selfish one too. And you all havn't heard anything yet....and you should hear what I call him and the rest of these ************* in practice. This is really how I feel about it."
It's the berating that is bad....and believe me I've heard it in little league, middle school and high school and I think it's ridiculous. It may not even be cursing, it may be just running a kid down. I just feel you can accomplish more with challenging a young man....with something like.."Come-on you can do better than that...play your game...get the lead out...come-on this is a team game..let us play that way." or whatever.... There are different ways to motivate kids and young men. I tell ya some kids just shut down with negative coaching. I certainly would not call my son a m*****F****** and so why would I call someone else's kid that? And yes, college freshmen are still just young men. And just because they signed a letter of intent to play doesn't mean they deserve to be cursed. That's all I'm going to say about this subject.
I agree with you on that one
I don't see what the big ruckis is, Coaches cuss at players all the time. My high school coaches cussed at us and so did our middle school coaches. It always got me motivated and got a fire under my ### to where I would want to prove that coach wrong. Some of you need to quit being such panzies.
TheGuyYouLoveToHate Wrote:I don't see what the big ruckis is, Coaches cuss at players all the time. My high school coaches cussed at us and so did our middle school coaches. It always got me motivated and got a fire under my ### to where I would want to prove that coach wrong. Some of you need to quit being such panzies.

Do you had a child? My guess is that you do not. If so, do you care if there School Teacher or Sunday School calls your child a Selfish Mother F***** just to "Motivate" them to do better. Don't just look at this as "Sports" motivation, this is motivation period. So when is it right to call someone that, and if you were a parent, I can GUARENTEE you that you as the parent WILL have a problem with it!
I could handle being called a selfish mf'er. Not a big deal to. But I saw a coach call a player a stupid sob during practice when I played. And that would have made me mad.
I'm in love with Tawnya.. hehe..

Tom is not my friend....

if you have any questions send me a p.m.
Had this been Coach K it would have been Words of Greatness. It really got jones going.

ESPN HEADLINE

"COACH K DISCOVERS NEW COACHING METHOD"
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Had this been Coach K it would have been Words of Greatness. It really got jones going.

ESPN HEADLINE

I think we had done pretty good on this thread on keeping ridiculous stuff like this out of here.

Oh well...
BREAKING NEWS....BREAKING NEWS....BREAKING NEWS....BREAKING NEWS

This just in...Cal is up for a GRAMMY...seems he is credited as a Co-Writer on Cee Lo Greens current hit, "_ _ _ _ You"
jumper dad Wrote:breaking news....breaking news....breaking news....breaking news

this just in...cal is up for a grammy...seems he is credited as a co-writer on cee lo greens current hit, "_ _ _ _ you"

l o l
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Had this been Coach K it would have been Words of Greatness. It really got jones going.

ESPN HEADLINE

But he didn't now did he? So it got Jones going and all coaches do it, just wanted to know that it's OK and certainly justified to do. I hope all coaches start to do it. I hope it works on the High School Senior. Heck, I hope that this is such a phenomenal coaching method that we start to see it in Grade School Intramural Basketball. Motivation = Whatever it Takes:Thumbs:

And what do you mean "it really go Jones going"??? It happened after the last play of the Alabama game, a game in which he scored 17 points and grabbed 9 rebounds. In his next game Jones scored 14 points and had 7 rebounds, thus it looks like it got Jones going the wrong way!
Stardust Wrote:But he didn't now did he? So it got Jones going and all coaches do it, just wanted to know that it's OK and certainly justified to do. I hope all coaches start to do it. I hope it works on the High School Senior. Heck, I hope that this is such a phenomenal coaching method that we start to see it in Grade School Intramural Basketball. Motivation = Whatever it Takes:Thumbs:

And what do you mean "it really go Jones going"??? It happened after the last play of the Alabama game, a game in which he scored 17 points and grabbed 9 rebounds. In his next game Jones scored 14 points and had 7 rebounds, thus it looks like it got Jones going the wrong way!
Because Calipari "suggested" that Jones had played selfishly against Alabama, maybe a better measure of the effectiveness of this new coaching method would be his assist numbers. Against Alabama, Jones had only 2 assists. Against South Carolina, after his coach's pep talk, Jones managed to dish out half as many assists as he did against the Crimson Tide.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Because Calipari "suggested" that Jones had played selfishly against Alabama, maybe a better measure of the effectiveness of this new coaching method would be his assist numbers. Against Alabama, Jones had only 2 assists. Against South Carolina, after his coach's pep talk, Jones managed to dish out half as many assists as he did against the Crimson Tide.

:Thumbs: Great catch Hoot. Jones is on FIRE right now and his game has now reached a new level! Like I said, I hope this catches fire and makes it's way to the earliest level's of sport! Maybe after the new book that Cal writes, we can push it all the way down to early childhood parenting. You know, when 9 year-old Sissy take's 9 month old Bill's Binky, Mom can firmly correct Sissy with that now famous motivational saying, "Sissy, [I]you Selfish Mother ******, give Billy back his Binky[/I]" It is bound to set little Sissy's life in a totally new direction!
Stardust Wrote:But he didn't now did he? So it got Jones going and all coaches do it, just wanted to know that it's OK and certainly justified to do. I hope all coaches start to do it. I hope it works on the High School Senior. Heck, I hope that this is such a phenomenal coaching method that we start to see it in Grade School Intramural Basketball. Motivation = Whatever it Takes:Thumbs:

I was saying thats what they would have said if jones would have hit the game winner. Had kentucky won this game u wouldnt have heard anything about it.

Most of us on here have heard worse from our middle school coaches.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:I was saying thats what they would have said if jones would have hit the game winner. Had kentucky won this game u wouldnt have heard anything about it.

Most of us on here have heard worse from our middle school coaches.

Then those Middle School coaches deserved to be FIRED! I've been coaching for the past 15 years. I've helped put players in college on athletic scholarships. I'm employed at a High School to coach a sport and am around High School coaches that I have NEVER, EVER heard them yell out in public to that kid that he is a "selfish Mother *******". Never! Is curse words are a part of coaching, sure it is. I'm not going to lie, I have used several distasteful words. But there is a MAJOR difference in cursing a player. Have I called out players before, YES! But to yell at a kid that he is a "Selfish Mother ******" is not in your job description. And if anyone took this from the Middle-School coach, their High School Coach, their College Coach, or their Professional coach, then they and their parents are soft! I'm putting my second child through HS, and neither of my children have ever been publicly called out like this, nor would they have allowed themselves to be!
Jay Bilas was quoted saying "Coach K and any other coach for that matter has used similar language as Calipari used here....no big deal."
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Jay Bilas was quoted saying "Coach K and any other coach for that matter has used similar language as Calipari used here....no big deal."

I agree, absolutely no big deal. It's the way everyone should coach or teach. It is highly motivational. I'm pretty confident that your professor could get the best work out of you ODM the next time you don't do what you should do in class. Like I said, it's such a fantastic style, we should institute it at the very beginning levels of sport. Let's start getting players to reach their full potential from the very beginnig. Wow, I really want my boss at work to start doing it to me as well! I'm possitive that I will start working my tail off for him then. Parents, the next time you have that urge to motivate your kid, just yell at them that they are little "Selfish Mother ******", and you will correct their behavior immediately. It should stop there, let us as fans do it to, let's start yelling that same motivational comment to the other kids on the team that is not pulling their weight. Jay Bilas should start using it in broadcasts that he is doing to to help us all understand how players are performing on the court, there would be nothing more colorful from a color commentator to say, "wow, that Terrence Jones is playing like a "Selfish Mother ******", so we can all understand what is happening on the court.

Why did Cal apologize? If this is done all the time, all coaches do this, then does it not beg to ask the question of why did he apologize? Why should a coach have to apologize for something that is done every day then? It's obviously acceptable behavior, so there was no need to apologize, right? If this is no big deal, then he had no right fooling all of the rest of the public with a fake and insincere apology, because he going to do it again because that's what coaches do!

We as a nation are too soft. We want to overly protect our children and we have made pansies out of them. If we created a National Observation Day of "You are a Selfish Mother *******", we could begin changing our culture immediately. Pretty soon, this nation would be able to rise up as one united country and slay those barbarians abroad, because this nation is no longer considered a bunch of "Selfish Mother ******".

Thank you Cal, you have opened a world change opportunity for us all. Sorry, not just Cal, but all coaches. Even those coaches that have cursed out the posters on here that said they have been cursed out since they were in Middle School.