Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simon Kenton 42 Russell 41
Russelldad Wrote:I have forgotten the name of one our defensive ends, but the other Adam Foster(53) has had three interceptions this year, 2 in the last two games. I've watched him this year on defense and IMO He looks pretty comfortable dropping back into coverage. I know that he is one of the gunners on kickoff's and also as a pulling guard he has some footspeed to lead the play for the 'backs. He told me that at UK's senior camp this summer, he was clocked in the 40 around the 4.4 to 4.5 range.

It just seems to me that our DB's and LB's are playing so far off the WR and instead of attacking and making a play on the ball, they are sitting back and waiting for the receiver to make the catch and then make the tackle. But maybe I am way off. They seem afraid to take a chance and get burnt. But IMO, I would rather be a "hair early" and bump into the receiver trying to make a play, and possibly get a 15 yrd penalty from spot of the ball, then to sit back and let them catch 40+ yrd completions for TD's. But maybe, I am completely off.
Dillon is the DE. Foster has picked off a few passes dropping into a zone. What I am talking about is being able to take a TE or slot reciever one on one allowing two safties for deep help.

Nobody on the team runs a 4.4. A couple may run 4.5.
EkyLB and BIGE if you all wanna complain about what we should do...why dont you just become coachs? and quit complaining on here
RedDevilRB Wrote:EkyLB and BIGE if you all wanna complain about what we should do...why dont you just become coachs? and quit complaining on here

why in the world would you say i was complaining, i dont think i said anything negative at all....
FBALL Wrote:Dillon is the DE. Foster has picked off a few passes dropping into a zone. What I am talking about is being able to take a TE or slot reciever one on one allowing two safties for deep help.

Nobody on the team runs a 4.4. A couple may run 4.5.

Thanks. I had forgotten about Mikey on the other side. (Kind of hard to miss). You are right about the 4.4 time as well. I talked to him last night and he told me it was 4.54 on his first attempt and that he thought he did closer to a 4.5 on his second but they didn't tell them their second time, just recorded on their information/data sheet

Now that I think about, You are also right about the interceptions being in zone coverage. I can only remember 1 or 2 times when he has actually went one-on-one with a TE and Slot guy and none for Mikey. Do you think that is because of the defensive call being a zone all the time? Or because they are defensive ends they want them to stay close enough to the line to prevent a QB scrabble? Because IMO, I think they could stay with a TE and Slot guy (mikey maybe just a TE)
It's because they are usually responsible for covering flats and back out of the backfield on most coverages. They never play man to man. They're also an integral part of the pressure and are blitzing alot on passing plays.
Sponge Bob Wrote:It's because they are usually responsible for covering flats and back out of the backfield on most coverages. They never play man to man. They're also an integral part of the pressure and are blitzing alot on passing plays.

So are the DB's the only ones who may be asked to go man-to-man on a receiver. What if a team goes 4 or 5 wide? Example.

Mason comes out in shot-gun formation. one back in the backfield.
TE and Flanker are out on QB's right side
Split End and RB are out on QB's left side

What would be Russell's typical defensive call?

Would DB's take the flanker and split-end? If so, then what about the other two? LB's DE's or Safeties?
Russelldad Wrote:So are the DB's the only ones who may be asked to go man-to-man on a receiver. What if a team goes 4 or 5 wide? Example.

Mason comes out in shot-gun formation. one back in the backfield.
TE and Flanker are out on QB's right side
Split End and RB are out on QB's left side

What would be Russell's typical defensive call?

Would DB's take the flanker and split-end? If so, then what about the other two? LB's DE's or Safeties?
Most of what Russell runs is zone coverage. I don't think they run any true man coverage.
If Mikey Dillon runs a 4.54 forty, my son runs a 4.6 40 and he is 11.
Ask Mikey about the ZIP...
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
So from what Ive gathered here, since Russell's players arent quite as good or experienced as last yr, we should just continue to run the same D, and expect it to work against better passing teams? Also, you cant depend alot on big long runs to win ya games, how many big long runs did kasey have against Belfry last yr, or even Gross, most of their long td runs were against weak competition, not to take anything away from them, just saying great teams dont give up big plays, or rarely do. What Russell does have that they didnt have is a multi-pronged attack, 3 good backs and a good qb, with some good skill players at reciever, and good backs on the bench, and unless they start spreading it out a little more, they wont beat any good teams in 3A.

I
EkyLb Wrote:So from what Ive gathered here, since Russell's players arent quite as good or experienced as last yr, we should just continue to run the same D, and expect it to work against better passing teams? Also, you cant depend alot on big long runs to win ya games, how many big long runs did kasey have against Belfry last yr, or even Gross, most of their long td runs were against weak competition, not to take anything away from them, just saying great teams dont give up big plays, or rarely do. What Russell does have that they didnt have is a multi-pronged attack, 3 good backs and a good qb, with some good skill players at reciever, and good backs on the bench, and unless they start spreading it out a little more, they wont beat any good teams in 3A.

I

Thanks for the support of your former team.

You get on here and spout off about how terrible the coaching is and how they run all of the wrong defenses. I don't know what games you are watching but they are 7-1 with a 1 point loss to a pretty darn good 6A school in Simon Kenton.

I need to start a thread with a poll and see who out there would love to have our pitiful coaching staff. I am sure that there are very few teams out there that would turn them down.

Go out and support the kids and let the coaches make the decisions they see necessary.

I for one am 100% happy with our staff.

P.S. Just off the top of my head I recall Gross running wild against a very good Fleming Co team in the regional finals his senior year. 279 yards in the first half.
Fleming Co.? come on they've never been a good team, maybe a decent team, I think we have different definitions of good. Im sure there are plenty of teams out there that would take our coaching staff, but I betcha any of the top knotch schools in our state would turn em down in a heartbeat. BTW, me "spouting off" about the coaching decisions, in no way means Im not supporting the kids on the team. SK is not a very good 6A team, are they even tops in their district?
EkyLb Wrote:Fleming Co.? come on they've never been a good team, maybe a decent team, I think we have different definitions of good. Im sure there are plenty of teams out there that would take our coaching staff, but I betcha any of the top knotch schools in our state would turn em down in a heartbeat. BTW, me "spouting off" about the coaching decisions, in no way means Im not supporting the kids on the team. SK is not a very good 6A team, are they even tops in their district?

So I guess Fleming making it to the regional finals in 04 does not make them a good team? In the run from 03-05 they are 26-10 with a few round wins in the playoffs. How bad is that?

I agree that we have different definition of good because I can see that Russell is a good team and you are struggling with that fact.
DevilsWin Wrote:Not sure who threw the flag but it was Brian Taylors crew.

No, it wasn't Brian Taylor's normal crew. Brian was the referee but it was a make up crew with various officials from other crews. It's something being tried out this year in the association.
Russelldad Wrote:I have forgotten the name of one our defensive ends, but the other Adam Foster(53) has had three interceptions this year, 2 in the last two games. I've watched him this year on defense and IMO He looks pretty comfortable dropping back into coverage. I know that he is one of the gunners on kickoff's and also as a pulling guard he has some footspeed to lead the play for the 'backs. He told me that at UK's senior camp this summer, he was clocked in the 40 around the 4.4 to 4.5 range.

It just seems to me that our DB's and LB's are playing so far off the WR and instead of attacking and making a play on the ball, they are sitting back and waiting for the receiver to make the catch and then make the tackle. But maybe I am way off. They seem afraid to take a chance and get burnt. But IMO, I would rather be a "hair early" and bump into the receiver trying to make a play, and possibly get a 15 yrd penalty from spot of the ball, then to sit back and let them catch 40+ yrd completions for TD's. But maybe, I am completely off.

He's definately pulling your leg if he told you that he was clocked at 4.4 or 4.5. I'm sure Ivan would have him in the backfield if he that kind of speed. That would be faster than Josh Gross and Kasey Clark at 4.4. I doubt that very seriously from Foster. He's quick but no where near that quick.
EkyLb Wrote:Well was gone for the weekend, but I feel I need to respond to some posts, especially red devils rule, I wont sit down and shut my "pie hole" Im just speaking what I feel, and have felt for a long long time, I for sure know ive been around a much higher level of football than yourself, since your highest level is probably russell high football. I just feel that the game passed up coach mcglone along time ago, as far as play calling and scheming and and that attitude of Im gonna do one thing and stick with it no matter what, and just depend on the fact that my kids are more talented than the other kids. Which is why Russell wins alot of games, and mainly we play a weak weak weak weak weak schedule and have for quite a few yrs now. you gotta run more than 3 or 4 different plays. There is no weightlifting program, or atleast not a serious one, there's no preseason conditioning, thats why half the teams is always cramping till the end of the season. these are things that are a must these days, you gotta get out of the 5-2 play your corners 10yds off the ball, and have your safties covering the slants and the deep route's ( i for one have neevr bragged on these coaches, Ive felt that they just slip by on so much talent that Russell for some reason has a ton of for a small school.) and look like they dont even know what's going on. Then running pass plays at the end to Drew, who is a terrific ball player and runner, but recieving is not his strong suit, which is not a big deal alot of great backs aren't, but you need to be going to mitchel and bailey more, and not bender and abrams, although bailey did miss that deep ball that would have sealed the game, it still shouldnt have mattered, Russell was easily 4 td's better than SK, they scored 35pts in the first half, and only 2 FG's in the second half. WHY? becuz like in any big game in recent memory where Russell was up Mcglone went into shutdown, up the middle, and not turn the ball over, that may have worked in the 70's when passing games werent as proficient as they are today. Russell should have atleats put 2, more likely 3 td's up in the 2nd half, Mcglone and his staff know alot more about football than myself, but if ur not utilizing that knowledge to its fullest extent, whats it matter? Im sorry the wing T and the 5-2 need to go into the memory book, Russell should be running a 4-3, and when they play teams like SK and mason next week, whos kids are as talented as ours, you gotta make same changed and get outta the same ol crap, im telling ya russell plays a 4-2-5 against SK and its not even a contest. I know that much and Ive never been a head coach anywhere.

I will say this, I somewhat agree with you about the conservative play calling after gaining a big lead but that's the only thing I agree with you here. I'm not saying that the staff does everything perfect but how can you say that Gary Morris is not one of the best coaches in the entire state. The man knows HS football and defenses like no other around. How can you argue with his success? It's not everyday that a team goes to Belfry and shuts them out. Mercer County had not even been slowed down last year and Coach Morris not only slowed them with his gameplan but damn near shut them down completely. If not for a miscommunication from himself to Josh Wills, he would have shut them down completely. One thing that you're not realizing is this..... these coaches spend lots of time with these kids and they know what they are capable of and what they are not capable of. To sit in the stands and say " Hey, this would work. Why isn't he doing this" is just ignorant. Hindsight is always 20/20 but I would take Gary Morris running my defense over anyone around the state. Coach McGlone runs the Wing T better than anyone and it's not only him calling the plays. He has the final word but he also has help from uptop the Hank. I to have questioned a play or two, I'm sure everyone has who watches games but I trust McGlone knows more about the Wing T than I'll ever know. How can you argue with the success? A state title and a runner-up finish........that's pretty good to me. Russell doesn't win because it has more talent than everybody else, Russell wins because they are fundamentally sound and they have a complete program . Russell wins because they eat, sleep, drink football from a very young age and they have a Coach who knows football.

Just remember this............hindsight is always 20/20. McGlone didn't get 300 wins because he always has more talent. And how can you say the game has passed him by when he just won a title in 2005? I just don't get it?
Great post RefDevil.
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:If Mikey Dillon runs a 4.54 forty, my son runs a 4.6 40 and he is 11.

Sorry is there was a mistake in my typing. It was Adam Foster that ran a 4.54 Forty at UK's camp
Ref Devil Wrote:He's definately pulling your leg if he told you that he was clocked at 4.4 or 4.5. I'm sure Ivan would have him in the backfield if he that kind of speed. That would be faster than Josh Gross and Kasey Clark at 4.4. I doubt that very seriously from Foster. He's quick but no where near that quick.

I did make a mistake in that post earlier but you may have missed my corrections. It was a 4.54 Fourty. They did 2 sets for all of the receivers at the camp. (He listed himself as a TE because at 6'1'' 205-215 no college scout there was going to even look at him as an offensive linemen, and since he had played TE his 9th and 10th grade year, he worked out at that position)

Anyway, on the first set, they told the players their times, that is where he got a 4.54. On the second set, they just wrote that time down on their information data cards and didn't tell him, but Adam told me he felt like he did at least the same or maybe a liitle faster.
Ref Devil Wrote:Just remember this............hindsight is always 20/20. McGlone didn't get 300 wins because he always has more talent. And how can you say the game has passed him by when he just won a title in 2005? I just don't get it?

I second the motion. Nice Post Ref Devil. I agree that there is always some calls from up in the stands we wonder why? And your also right about Coach Morris. He is top notch and will get EVERYTHING out of the players he has on defense. Last week's game truly showed what a good team can do against us in pass coverage. So, I am fully expecting that him to have tweaked his defense this week and that Mason will not be as successful as SK on Friday.

Of course, a little rain would help too!!Wink
Russelldad Wrote:I second the motion. Nice Post Ref Devil. I agree that there is always some calls from up in the stands we wonder why? And your also right about Coach Morris. He is top notch and will get EVERYTHING out of the players he has on defense. Last week's game truly showed what a good team can do against us in pass coverage. So, I am fully expecting that him to have tweaked his defense this week and that Mason will not be as successful as SK on Friday.

Of course, a little rain would help too!!Wink

I definately agree with you here. I'm sure Gary will do a bit of tweaking and tickering to his defense. People have to realize that as a HS coach you have to play with what you have whether it be a 5 star athlete or a freshman, you play with what you have. I'm not taken anything or saying anything about the players in the secondary, I'm only stating that some years are better than other at the HS level as far as what kind of personale you have to work with as a coach. I think sometimes fans get spoiled in HS sports, especially from a successful program like Russell, Belfry, Ashland, ect. It's not every year that you have the kind of talent that you want, it's just unrealistic.
no offense to foster, he is fast, but I find it hard to believe 4.54, since I know Ray clark ran a 4.2, and he has to atleast be 3-4 steps faster than foster, I would say more like 4.7-4.8
EkyLb Wrote:Ray clark ran a 4.2

Come on:what: . LOL Yeah, he ran a 4.2 in the 100 yard dash.:runtouchd He was a runnin machine. Like that ole movie with Jan Michael Vincent where some college coach found the worlds fastest man(JMV) living in Africa or some thing and had been raised by Cheetah's.
EkyLb Wrote:no offense to foster, he is fast, but I find it hard to believe 4.54, since I know Ray clark ran a 4.2, and he has to atleast be 3-4 steps faster than foster, I would say more like 4.7-4.8

I can honestly say that I did not see him run the 40 at UK, but I was at the camp looking at some of the other talent and when he saw me, that is what he told me. I then watched him in some of the offensive one-on-one drills (DB vs Receiver) and on two occasions (one on a straight fly and the other on a post) and both times he got a step on the defender. And one of the defenders was a kid from the Lexington area because a lot of the UK coaches knew the kid by name, because they yelled at him for getting beat.

But that was back in the summer, in shorts and on turf, so don't know after 8 grueling games and pads if he is still can go that fast, but based on what I watched, I have to believe him.
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:If Mikey Dillon runs a 4.54 forty, my son runs a 4.6 40 and he is 11.
if mikey runs a 4.5 then i must run a 3.5 hahaha
EkyLb Wrote:no offense to foster, he is fast, but I find it hard to believe 4.54, since I know Ray clark ran a 4.2, and he has to atleast be 3-4 steps faster than foster, I would say more like 4.7-4.8

Wow!! That would make him a world-class sprinter!! I doubt he ran a 4.2 40. That's just a bit exaggerated, just a weeeeeeeeeeeeeee bit.Rolleyes
Call me crazy but I would close this thread considering Russell will be playing Mason Co in less than 24 hours.
Pirate4Life Wrote:Call me crazy but I would close this thread considering Russell will be playing Mason Co in less than 24 hours.
I think your right. Its been going long enough.
FBALL Wrote:I think your right. Its been going long enough.

It has but surprisingly enough it has been kept pretty clean to be open this long.