Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Government Shutdown
Hoot Gibson Wrote:The only thing that we know is that we will both know whether or not a wall has been built in about 2 years. If you are right, Trump will soon throw a Hail Mary pass to the federal courts.

Not a Hail Mary at all but even if it were, it would be more than anyone else has done.
jetpilot Wrote:Not a Hail Mary at all but even if it were, it would be more than anyone else has done.
Hoping that the Supreme Court will intervene in a political battle is an act of desperation.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Hoping that the Supreme Court will intervene in a political battle is an act of desperation.

That's what Bill Kristol would say. Build the wall. MAGA.
jetpilot Wrote:That's what Bill Kristol would say. Build the wall. MAGA.
:biglmao:
Supreme Court Justice to Trump Administration Counsel during oral arguments: If illegal immigration is a national emergency, then why did you wait for more than two years before you took any action? Has illegal immigration become worse since President Trump took office?

Trump Administration Counsel: This was supposed to be simple.

I am not going to censor myself because you think Bill Kristol would agree with me. I really don't care what you, Bill Kristol, or Donald Trump think of my political opinions. They are mine to express or keep to myself as I see fit.
Hoot Gibson Wrote::biglmao:
Supreme Court Justice to Trump Administration Counsel during oral arguments: If illegal immigration is a national emergency, then why did you wait for more than two years before you took any action? Has illegal immigration become worse since President Trump took office?

Trump Administration Counsel: This was supposed to be simple.

I am not going to censor myself because you think Bill Kristol would agree with me. I really don't care what you, Bill Kristol, or Donald Trump think of my political opinions. They are mine to express or keep to myself as I see fit.

That's so weak! You're a what-iffer Hoot! Build the wall. MAGA. Make Kristol and Hoot sad.
jetpilot Wrote:That's so weak! You're a what-iffer Hoot! Build the wall. MAGA. Make Kristol and Hoot sad.
You debate like a liberal, JP. MAGA was a great campaign slogan. So was "We will build a wall and make Mexico pay for it."
Hoot Gibson Wrote:You debate like a liberal, JP. MAGA was a great campaign slogan.

You have talked in circles trying to always end up at Orange Guy Bad, using only your opinions and guesses. Did you think we were debating? You bring facts to a debate, not a bunch of what-ifs, opinions and guesses. Just build the damn wall, whatever it takes. That's what he's doing, while you, Kristol and Dems trash him for it. He's our only damn chance.
jetpilot Wrote:You have talked in circles trying to always end up at Orange Guy Bad, using only your opinions and guesses. Did you think we were debating? You bring facts to a debate, not a bunch of what-ifs, opinions and guesses. Just build the damn wall, whatever it takes. That's what he's doing, while you, Kristol and Dems trash him for it. He's our only damn chance.
You have brought no facts to this discussion. The fact is, Trump failed to get funding for a border wall for two years while his party controlled both houses of Congress. It is also a fact that Trump made multiple empty threats to veto spending bills that contained no funding for a border wall during that same period.

Although it is possible that Democrats will pass a bill containing border wall funding and help improve Trump's re-election prospects for 2020, it is extremely unlikely.

There is a constitutional process that has been in place since 1787, by which spending bills originate and are approved in the House of Representatives and then sent to the Senate for approval, before being sent to the President, who signs them into law.

Getting the Supreme Court to give Trump approval to spend money because Congress has dealt him a political defeat will not be nearly as simple as you seem to think. The burden will be on Trump to convince the court that there is a real national emergency, and by failing to act for more than two years, it doesn't appear that Trump really believed that it was an emergency.

Whatever Trump planned to do to obtain funding for a border wall should have been done in 2017. He blew a golden opportunity to deal with an unpopular, Republican-controlled Congress. I don't think that the Supreme Court will bail him out. Time will tell. They may decide to let voters sort things out in 2020.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:You have brought no facts to this discussion. The fact is, Trump failed to get funding for a border wall for two years while his party controlled both houses of Congress. It is also a fact that Trump made multiple empty threats to veto spending bills that contained no funding for a border wall during that same period.

Although it is possible that Democrats will pass a bill containing border wall funding and help improve Trump's re-election prospects for 2020, it is extremely unlikely.

There is a constitutional process that has been in place since 1787, by which spending bills originate and are approved in the House of Representatives and then sent to the Senate for approval, before being sent to the President, who signs them into law.

Getting the Supreme Court to give Trump approval to spend money because Congress has dealt him a political defeat will not be nearly as simple as you seem to think. The burden will be on Trump to convince the court that there is a real national emergency, and by failing to act for more than two years, it doesn't appear that Trump really believed that it was an emergency.

Whatever Trump planned to do to obtain funding for a border wall should have been done in 2017. He blew a golden opportunity to deal with an unpopular, Republican-controlled Congress. I don't think that the Supreme Court will bail him out. Time will tell. They may decide to let voters sort things out in 2020.

:biglmao: MAGA!
Hoot Gibson Wrote:You have brought no facts to this discussion. The fact is, Trump failed to get funding for a border wall for two years while his party controlled both houses of Congress. It is also a fact that Trump made multiple empty threats to veto spending bills that contained no funding for a border wall during that same period.

Doesn't mean he doesn't believe it now, does it Matlock? And now just happens to be when he's declaring an emergency.

Trump: I'm today, on February 15, 2019 declaring a national emergency.
Reporter: What did you think 6 months ago?
Trump: Is that you Hoot?Confusednicker:
jetpilot Wrote:Doesn't mean he doesn't believe it now, does it Matlock? And now just happens to be when he's declaring an emergency.

Reporters won't be asking the questions that matter. Trump's lawyers will have a hard time convincing the conservative members of the federal court, including the SCOTUS, that the normal constitutional procedures should be cast aside so that Trump can belatedly keep a campaign promise.

By your own admission, you thought that getting border wall funding would be a slam dunk for Trump because Republicans controlled Congress. You were wrong then. Now you say that building a wall by unilaterally declaring a national emergency will be simple. I see a pattern developing here. Confusednicker:
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Reporters won't be asking the questions that matter. Trump's lawyers will have a hard time convincing the conservative members of the federal court, including the SCOTUS, that the normal constitutional procedures should be cast aside so that Trump can belatedly keep a campaign promise.

By your own admission, you thought that getting border wall funding would be a slam dunk for Trump because Republicans controlled Congress. You were wrong then. Now you say that building a wall by unilaterally declaring a national emergency will be simple. I see a pattern developing here. Confusednicker:

I admit I am more shocked every day how many bad Republicans are in Congress and how many Republicans are for open borders. That's why I keep telling you Trump is our only chance. But like Kristol and Dems, you would rather see no wall than Trump get credit.

I type He. Is. Our. Only. Chance.
Your TDS brain converts it to Orange Man Bad.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Reporters won't be asking the questions that matter. Trump's lawyers will have a hard time convincing the conservative members of the federal court, including the SCOTUS, that the normal constitutional procedures should be cast aside so that Trump can belatedly keep a campaign promise.

SCOTUS asking "What were you thinking 6 months ago?" would be exponentially more stupid than a reporter asking it.
jetpilot Wrote:I admit I am more shocked every day how many bad Republicans are in Congress and how many Republicans are for open borders. That's why I keep telling you Trump is our only chance. But like Kristol and Dems, you would rather see no wall than Trump get credit.

I type He. Is. Our. Only. Chance.
Your TDS brain converts to Orange Man Bad.
I don't care who gets credit. I want the wall built and I don't want to see another liberal Democrat in the White House in my lifetime.

You must really follow Bill Kristol closely to know his position on so many issues. I haven't read anything he has written or even seen his face in more than a year. Is he on CNN or MSNBC now?

Not only were you apparently surprised by opposition in Congress to a border wall, I don't think you understand the workings of the Supreme Court any better. The liberals on the court will probably rule against Trump because they are activists.

The "originalists" on the court are always reluctant to substitute their opinions for the written words of the Constitution and established precedent. Thomas, Gorsuch, and the other conservatives are not simply going to take Trump's word that there is a national emergency. That is not how the process works at all.

Trump blew his chance and now he needs a miracle.
jetpilot Wrote:SCOTUS asking "What were you thinking 6 months ago?" would be exponentially more stupid than a reporter asking it.
Have you ever read a transcript of the Supreme Court's oral arguments? They won't ask what anybody was thinking but they will ask what actions had already been taken and why the normal legislative procedure could not used to address the border wall issue. Their questions are usually short and to the point.

A response of "We did not have the votes to defeat a filibuster," will not get the Trump administration very far. That is a pretty lame excuse for a president whose party controlled Congress for two full years.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I don't care who gets credit. I want the wall built and I don't want to see another liberal Democrat in the White House in my lifetime.

You must really follow Bill Kristol closely to know his position on so many issues. I haven't read anything he has written or even seen his face in more than a year. Is he on CNN or MSNBC now?

Not only were you apparently surprised by opposition in Congress to a border wall, I don't think you understand the workings of the Supreme Court any better. The liberals on the court will probably rule against Trump because they are activists.

The "originalists" on the court are always reluctant to substitute their opinions for the written words of the Constitution and established precedent. Thomas, Gorsuch, and the other conservatives are not simply going to take Trump's word that there is a national emergency. That is not how the process works at all.

Trump blew his chance and now he needs a miracle.

Another trip around the world, ending with Orange Man Bad.

They don't even have to take his word for it. Anyone with two eyes and a functioning brain knows there is a crisis of epic proportions on our southern border. Plus there are 28 ONGOING national emergencies as we speak. And our southern border is a bigger emergency than all of them COMBINED. The last three presidents before Trump declared 42 national emergencies.
So it's not a real high bar to clear. But you can always hope.

I do follow Bill Kristol closely. And you talk just like him.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Have you ever read a transcript of the Supreme Court's oral arguments? They won't ask what anybody was thinking but they will ask what actions had already been taken and why the normal legislative procedure could not used to address the border wall issue. Their questions are usually short and to the point.

A response of "We did not have the votes to defeat a filibuster," will not get the Trump administration very far. That is a pretty lame excuse for a president whose party controlled Congress for two full years.

"There is a dire emergency on our southern border and Congress has not passed any laws to address the situation nor allocated the funds necessary to address the situation."
jetpilot Wrote:Another trip around the world, ending with Orange Man Bad.

They don't even have to take his word for it. Anyone with two eyes and a functioning brain knows there is a crisis of epic proportions on our southern border. Plus there are 28 ONGOING national emergencies as we speak. And our southern border is a bigger emergency than all of them COMBINED. The last three presidents before Trump declared 42 national emergencies.
So it's not a real high bar to clear. But you can always hope.

I do follow Bill Kristol closely. And you talk just like him.
You remind me of Eric Boling.
jetpilot Wrote:"There is a dire emergency on our southern border and Congress has not passed any laws to address the situation nor allocated the funds necessary to address the situation."
Trump should have had boots on the ground building the wall in 2017. If he had, maybe we would have been spared another term for Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:You remind me of Eric Boling.

Well I guess that makes us a couple of has-beens.:ChairHit:
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Trump should have had boots on the ground building the wall in 2017. If he had, maybe we would have been spared another term for Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi.

This current bunch of Dems will do more for the Republican party than Ronald Reagan ever did. It's going to be a blast.Confusednicker:
Signing off with the great Dilbert from the other day, aimed at liberals

New hire: I'm very smart, but I don't know how to do anything.
Dilbert: Where did you get your PhD from?
New hire: I never said I had a PhD.
Dilbert: You kind of did.
jetpilot Wrote:Doesn't mean he doesn't believe it now, does it Matlock? And now just happens to be when he's declaring an emergency.

:thatsfunn. :hilarious: Stop it Jet, yer killing me!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheRealThing Wrote::thatsfunn. :hilarious: Stop it Jet, yer killing me!!

I knew you would like that one TRT!
Hoot Gibson Wrote:You are in no position to demand an answer to any question. You never fail to resort to personal attacks when your poor debating skills get you in over your head. Nobody can answer the question of why you believed that Trump would build a border wall and get Mexico to pay for it but you - and you cannot admit that you blindly support Trump on nothing but faith. Hero worship is the path to totalitarianism.

No now see, here’s how this works. You don’t get to sit around and tell me what my position is. And as usual you exaggerated. I made zero demands of you because you have nothing to offer.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheRealThing Wrote:No now see, here’s how this works. You don’t get to sit around and tell me what my position is. And as usual you exaggerated. I made zero demands of you because you have nothing to offer.
Still no answer to a simple question. You're not even making a good showing as jetpilot's sidekick. Back to flight attendant school for you, TRT.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Still no answer to a simple question. You're not even making a good showing as jetpilot's sidekick. Back to flight attendant school for you, TRT.

Why would I want to help you in your quest to find a suitable codependent? This is a political forum not a psychological self-help site. Therefore, "still no answer" to your simple question. Which was BTW, straight off Billy Kristol's talking point sheet. After all, an intellectually genuine world class debater such as yourself, ought not preoccupy himself with the same sort of intellectual dishonesty which so easily slakes the consciences and selfish interests of the give me more crowd.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheRealThing Wrote:Why would I want to help you in your quest to find a suitable codependent? This is a political forum not a psychological self-help site. Therefore, "still no answer" to your simple question. Which was BTW, straight off Billy Kristol's talking point sheet. After all, an intellectually genuine world class debater such as yourself, ought not preoccupy himself with the same sort of intellectual dishonesty which so easily slakes the consciences and selfish interests of the give me more crowd.
It saddens me to see an internet troll with nothing better to do with their time than personally attack other people for expressing their political beliefs. Thankfully, the number of Trump loyalists who are cultist trolls is a small and insignificant minority.
Mollie

Verified account

@MZHemingway
Follow Follow @MZHemingway
More
NYT piece says Congressional GOP actively thwarts POTUS' policy goals but hides their opposition to keep GOP voters from being angry at them. (FWIW: I'm not sure GOP voters are as foolish as GOP leaders think they are.) https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/01/opini...mpism.html …
Mark Meadows

Verified account

@RepMarkMeadows
Feb 1
More
.@realdonaldtrump: holding dozens of meetings to find a border security compromise

"Conference committee:" 1 meeting in 7 days, with 0 additional meetings currently scheduled

And people wonder why POTUS is being forced toward executive action. Why isn't conference working 24/7?