Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13th Region Baseball in 2014
LongDong Wrote:I don't understand how you guys count middlesboro out, they lost one player off of an 11 loss team, and also gained Frazier back and also got a transfer from bell county to fill some holes in the outfield. Along with Foister coming back out, should be a hard team to handle

HDE Wrote:We can analyze it position by position, but it's pretty simple - can Middlesboro do a better job hitting against Connor Leisge than they showed last year. I could tell the game was over last year in the district finals after a couple of batters went down against Leisge.

You said it was simple.
Read it a little more slowly next time.
I said "Can Middlesboro do a better job hitting against Conner Leisge..."
You think Middlesboro can win if they are no-hit through six innings?
If Middlesboro can hit Leisge, they have a great shot at winning. If not, the odds aren't good.

To dismiss Leisge's performance last year as irrelevant seems pretty disrespectful to one of the region's best pitchers. Do you figure it was luck?
I guess that is why text and typing can lead one to misunderstand what one is saying. Let me say this, Leisge is a great pitcher and we look forward to seeing him and the new season. A season in which I am sure will be a lot of suprises.
Both had better worry about Knox when region rolls around. Last year very young. Looking for big things from the Panthers.
I agree. The panthers have a great group of young arms which could be the best pitching staff in the region. This is a team that could make a huge run this season. They should be a very scary team to play the next few years.
South laurel Jr Daniel Neal has committed to the University of Tennessee as a two way player.
I'd be surprised if Knox can match the pitching staffs at North, South and HCHS this year. I know Knox has some great young talent (especially in middle school), but I don't think the maturity level is there yet to compare to pitchers like Hurley and Leisge etc....
southcardsfan Wrote:South laurel Jr Daniel Neal has committed to the University of Tennessee as a two way player.
Congrats to Daniel, he is a heck of a player and seems to be a real nice kid too! I believe he has the ability to play and play well for the Vols...
HDE Wrote:I'd be surprised if Knox can match the pitching staffs at North, South and HCHS this year. I know Knox has some great young talent (especially in middle school), but I don't think the maturity level is there yet to compare to pitchers like Hurley and Leisge etc....

I look for big things, we have more than one. HDE, Leisge can not pitch against everyone. Knox will not ever see Leisge. ...so who is next?
Congrats to Daniel, great baseball player. Wish him well.
PRIDE101 Wrote:I look for big things, we have more than one. HDE, Leisge can not pitch against everyone. Knox will not ever see Leisge. ...so who is next?
If my memory is correct, Scotty Bailey pitched a no-hitter in a 5-0 win over Knox last year. He is back along with Tyler Cornett another Senior who has pitched several good games for HC over the past 2 years, Anthony Jenkins another very capable senior that pitched several innings last year, Sawyer Fields - a Junior that pitched jv the last couple years has an excellent curve ball. Along with HC's 4 Seniors and 1 Junior they have 2 nice up and coming lefties - Sophomore Gage Burkhart and Freshman - Jared Sizemore, Sizemore came into the season last year with a severely sprained ankle and didnt really start pitching varsity until late in the year, but looked good in his last couple outings. HC will have a lot of solid arms to choose from, should be a fun season. I will say that I did really like what I saw of the Knox Central team last year (solid fundamentally) and I believe they will be a very solid team this year.
Keep over looking teams HDE and the mighty will fall. You seem to forget, KC beat HC as well last season. In the 5-0 Shutout, KC hammered some balls that the OF of HC made unreal plays to save not only the shutout, but the no-hitter. Dont be soo offended if someone talks about how a team may have as good as staff as HC is supposed to have. You are right Granny, they are young, but they are and will be a tough out for the next 3-5 years in this region. KC played the defending Champs last year in a tight game until the 5th when they committed a couple of errors(youth) and North scored 3 or 4 and opened the game. KC will be competitive, I am sure of that. Some ppl want to dismiss them and that mistake may cost a team dearly come region time. South beat KC in the bottom of the 7th at South 1-0, Corbin had to score 2 runs in the bottom of the 7th at Corbin to beat KC 3-2. So to smirk and say they are young and not mature enough to challenge will be the undoing of more than one team.

4 of KC pitchers pitch in Cincy and Danville for 2 very good travel programs during the summer, so I think they just might be ready come Spring 2014. Just my 2c worth.
From what I saw on the Little League levels, I expect Knox to win a regional championship or two in the next few years. I was also impressed with how Knox battled last year.
My point was that South and North have experienced, big-game tested staffs. Harlan County will have four seniors who have pitched in quite a few big games. Cornett has won games in the district tournament the past two or three years and pitched real well at North late last year. Bailey has had several strong performances against good competition.
I didn't dismiss Knox or smirk. I just said I'd rate them below those three staffs at this point.
Why would you say Knox will never see Leisge? That sounds like you are writing them off as a team that wouldn't face an ace in a big tournament game.
I am not writing Knox off. Just that the HC staff will save Leisge and overlook Knox. IMO
To be honest I don't think Knox cares who is pitching against them or who they play. Knox is full of scrappers who play with a ton of heart. They are a team who play together and don't care if one of them stands out. That's why I think they will be a tough team to play anywhere because they will fight to win at all costs. In my opinion most of the other teams in this region rely too much on their stand out players.
Hitters_Count Wrote:Keep over looking teams HDE and the mighty will fall. You seem to forget, KC beat HC as well last season. In the 5-0 Shutout, KC hammered some balls that the OF of HC made unreal plays to save not only the shutout, but the no-hitter. Dont be soo offended if someone talks about how a team may have as good as staff as HC is supposed to have.

Read this and see who sounds soooooo offended, just because someone said your pitching staff is behind three others, in their opinion.
You guys are taking turns telling each other how great you are and you get offended if someone points out the top three teams in the region last year have experienced pitching coming back.
No one said anything bad about KC, just that they are still young but they are a team on the rise.
While we are on the topic of signees, Zach Hurley of North has verbally committed to Western Kentucky. Pretty sure he will be used strictly as a pitcher. Like Neal from South, he's a quality kid, both of them could have solid college careers. HDE, I've got to think Leisge will have the opportunity to play on as well. Any word on where he might land?
You are right HDE, I should have never questioned you. KC is but a mere flea compared to others in the 13th region. I will move along and not bring up anymore nonsense about them possibly competing with the big 3.
:igiveup:
Hurley is going to Western as a 2 way player.
That's great, my mistake on saying pitching only. He is a tremendous defensive outfielder. Reasonably good hitter, that might be something of an issue in college, but in anything using arm strength or foot speed he will be a-okay.
I don't know how they got part of the big 3, last year is the first year in school history they had ever won a region game. A short history grant you.
I really enjoyed playing Knox last year and watching the young team play and compete and they play hard no matter up or down. I believe within the top six or 7 teams in the region any team can beat anybody if they are not facing their ace. HC should be an older team this year and make some noise as Knox they are young and they will make some noise and depending on the draw could make it to the finals IMO. The Knox team was fun to watch and easy to root for when not playing HC. Hope the young kids don't lose that spunk that makes them fun to watch.
My preseason rankings
1. North
2. South
3. HC
4. Knox
5. Midd
6. Clay
7. Corbin
PRIDE101 Wrote:I don't know how they got part of the big 3, last year is the first year in school history they had ever won a region game. A short history grant you.

I think a Knox fan called them that.
I don't know what that has to with it though. How many games/years do you have to win to qualify?
HCHS has one of the top two pitchers in the region and three other seniors with success since middle school.
I'm sure if the new school had opened when Cumberland was dominating they would have had the No. 1 staff on Day 1.
Can't wait for the season. Middlesboro and Knox kids played on a travel team together and I heard the Middlesboro kids outplayed the Knox kids. Just talk but who knows
That's hilarious and pathetic to say at the same time.
Looks like the 13th might be entertaining this spring, thats if spring ever comes,to they make Snow Cleats, LOL. Good luck to all the teams I'm going to try and see some of the better teams.
Who on Knox is better than anyone of Middlesboro starters
I could name multiple. And if I recall correctly Knox and middlesboro split last year.
As far as the debate between Knox Central and Middlesboro, why does it even exist? As far as I know, coaches from both teams are good friends and many of the players from both teams played together on a summer ball team. Neither team comes in as the favorite but both could be labeled contenders.

Knox returns a lot of young kids and Middlesboro returns everyone but Hale. I'm sure Knox has had kids grow and develop and probably has some newcomers. Middlesboro's kids have gotten bigger and stronger as well and will have two varsity starters that weren't even on the team last year (Jonathon Partin and Cole Frazier).

There is no reason to debate the two teams. They are pretty even and both should be pulling for each other.

All of that said, I think there are two teams that are head and shoulders above the rest, South Laurel and North Laurel. Both have deep pitching staffs and several high profile performers.

After these two, MHS, KC, HC, CC make up the next tier. HC faithful love to throw Leisge's name out there and rightfully so, he is a solid pitcher. MHS fans will counter with Crawford, who is a seasoned senior this year with two career wins against HC already under his belt.

The next tier in my mind would be Corbin and Whitley.

After them, there are no true contenders. That being said, while Jackson County might be terrible, no one will enjoy facing them when Fox is on the mound.
Is Frazier practicing with the baseball team? Or working out, I know practice starts next week.