Poll: Who wins ?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Breathitt County
34.74%
Belfry
65.26%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry @ Breathitt Co. 11/18/11
Doughboy304 Wrote:To win this game Belfry is gonna have to open up the play book a little more. I have said all year that you have got to throw the ball a little to keep teams honest and loosen up that defense for the run a little more. Belfry has a 6 foot 4 inch tight end that has been thrown the ball 5 or 6 times all year. Utilize the short pass from time to time because everyone on Pond Creek knows the athletes are there to do it. Haywood doesn't have to sling it 30 times a game, but you can't be one dimensional either.

That is why Belfry cannot win if BC can match them up front. It's easy to
say Belfry SHOULD throw to the TE, but they don't Haywood just DOESN'T
throw. And if you don't throw, you can't magically start.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:As I mentioned above, Belfry has struggled mightily in ST as well. Pirates have missed numerous XP's, made questionable decisions in fielding punts that have resulted in poor field position, had personnel issues throughout the season causing either too few or too many players to be on the field, and given up several long returns that had to be saved by Dixon's sure tackling.

As I say this, Belfry has also had some dazzling returns, had a handful of touchbacks on the kickoff, and the actual punting has been pretty consistent and solid. It just seems for every "good" play, there has been a "bad" one to offset it.

IMO, Special Teams could go either way...it also may be an X factor or it could play no role at all.

I don't understand that you have two good defenses, but they both struggle in special teams. They both have a number of athletes and should dominate on kickoff and kickoff return. For the bobcats they get out of their lane on kick off to try to make the play, and missed tackles.
FBALL Wrote:If Belfry can run the ball effectively they win this game. I think you are going to see something similar to the Belfry/Ashland game but Breathitts defense is not as good as Ashlands.

Explain to me how Breathitt's defense isn't as good as Ashland's. Have you personally watched Breathitt play this year?
DSRfan I totally agree that you can't magically start throwing this deep into the playoffs. I have seen some fans saying Willis will have a big game, but i disagree. It won't be because of lack of effort on Willis' part, but because everyone across the State of Kentucky knows that he has been Belfry's bread and butter and Holcolm will definitely take that away. If he is half the Coach I have heard he is, he will be determined to not lose this game because they didn't stop the run. Having said all this, I am defintely a Belfry fan! I just think it's o.k. to throw on first down from time to time, I think it's o.k. to run a screen pass every now and then, I definitely think it's o.k. to use a 6 foot 4 inch tight end for other things besides blocking. I'm no Bear Bryant, but I do know a little about the game. Can Befry win? yes! Is it a tall order for such a one dimensional offense? yes!
i have watched breathitt co. and no way is there def as good as henry clay or ashland. this game will be close because its at there house. but belfry will prove to be the better team. breathitt will not be able to run the football thats a fact.:redboxer:
Doughboy304 Wrote:DSRfan I totally agree that you can't magically start throwing this deep into the playoffs. I have seen some fans saying Willis will have a big game, but i disagree. It won't be because of lack of effort on Willis' part, but because everyone across the State of Kentucky knows that he has been Belfry's bread and butter and Holcolm will definitely take that away. If he is half the Coach I have heard he is, he will be determined to not lose this game because they didn't stop the run. Having said all this, I am defintely a Belfry fan! I just think it's o.k. to throw on first down from time to time, I think it's o.k. to run a screen pass every now and then, I definitely think it's o.k. to use a 6 foot 4 inch tight end for other things besides blocking. I'm no Bear Bryant, but I do know a little about the game. Can Befry win? yes! Is it a tall order for such a one dimensional offense? yes!

As I've stated before, I have huge respect for Haywood. And his record speaks for itself. But I'm also just as convinced that he probably cost
himself a chance to win another title or two,(maybe more) because
he won't adapt. There's something to be said about committing to
a style and executing it to near perfection. But there's also valid
criticism to level for refusing to take advantage of abilities certain
playres have had. And also for sticking with something that in some
years give you no chance to win in the playoffs.

And anyone who's seen the Beflry/BC games over the years knows,
that his system puts his team at a big disadvantage when BC
physically matches them. They only have one facet to prepare for,
and if they get behind they are DONE, because they CANNOT throw.
I agree that there are times you have to coach to fit the abilities of the players and personel that you have. There are also times that you have to let your athletes be athletes and make plays. They have the athletes there to win a couple of State titles, but they have got to loosen the reigns and let the kids play. A Coach cannot "control" every facet and aspect of the game. It has been mentioned that Belfry has made some bad judgments on fielding punts, but you are going to have that from time to time, especially when kids are trying to make plays. Some have been the kids fault and others have been the coaching staff fault, because they wanted them in a specific spot "scoot up closer, move over some, run it to the right," DB's "shuffle, shuffle, slide, turn sideways". It's a joke sometime! Let the kids create and be athletes! You are right about the State titles DSRfan and you are right about "adapting". I just hope the game doesn't pass us by, because we refuse to explore new teritory. "Shuffle shuffle slide" A college will laugh them off the field when they can't backpedal. Sorry DSRfan, I digressed a little and went off on a tangent for second. I can talk about it all day, but on friday at 7:30 we will see how things go. Good luck to both teams and I pray everyone is kept safe during travel and during the game.
So how many career coaching wins do you schmucks have?
First of all I am not a schmuck, I am someone voicing an opinion. To answer the question none, but because someone holds a record of career wins does that mean he or she is the best coach? definitely not. It could mean that they have coached a long time, but let me ask you a question? How much hardware does Belfry showcase from a 3A championship Mr. or Mrs. Boondock Saint? Bet I know the answer NONE!!!!!! and it will stay that way if they don't throw the ball from time to time. Now you have a nice day and God bless....
Would you like to ask Mrs. BoondockSaint about my hardware??:biggrin:
Three things can happen when you throw the ball, two of them are bad.
belfry0304 Wrote:i believe if i read his mom's facebook status right, james may is back this week. Big physical kid adding another dimension to the 8-deep defensive line and 7-deep offensive.
may is back at 100%, maybe not in four quarter game shape, but he is the best trapping and pulling guard bhs has seen in many a year, just that makes bhs running attack more leathal, icant see him playing both sides of the ball just yet but look for him to play a lot of o-line
Belfry0304 Wrote:Three things can happen when you throw the ball, two of them are bad.

I liked Woody Hayes. But that's a bygone era. An updated
version of that for today would be, "ONE thing happens if
you can't throw the ball, you don't win championships". Belfry may beat BC,
though I suspect that BC is the better team and will win.
And BC will have a better chance against Central than
Belfry does. Central will be diffcult for either, but
BC's versatility gives them a better shot.
Belfry 35-27.
Belfry 34

Breathitt 18
Is this game going to be on a internet feed anywhere? I will not be making the trek to Jackson Friday night and would like to listen.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

Axel Foley Wrote:Belfry 35-27.

I see more of a low scoring game. The more points scored, the better chance Breathitt has. Keep it -20 and it will be close.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

Doughboy304 Wrote:How much hardware does Belfry showcase from a 3A championship Mr. or Mrs. Boondock Saint? Bet I know the answer NONE!!!!!! and it will stay that way if they don't throw the ball from time to time. Now you have a nice day and God bless....

The irony of this post is the fact that had Belfry not attempted a pass to end the 1st Half in their first matchup with Central, the Pirates may very well have a 3A Championship. That Pick 6 turned the game upside down and completely shifted momentum. Instead of going into the half down by 3 after having just turned the ball over, instead Central went in up 4 getting the ball to open the 2nd Half.

Belfry has the pieces to have a very, very dangerous passing game. Messer and Dotson both are good playmakers and can get open, the backs, specifically Robinson have good hands..and both Williams and Warren can throw the ball well. The issue with Belfry is you can only have a set number of options on any given play and when the pass is expected (3rd and Long, 2nd and Long) it becomes much easier to defend. The best chances for success are 1st and 2nd Down, but an incompletion suddenly puts you in the long yardage situations that kill the Belfry offense.

Do I get frustrated Belfry doesn't utilize the pass more? Sure. I also understand Haywood's philosophy and the fact that forcing a throw when it is unnecessary goes completely against what Haywood is trying to accomplish.
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:Is this game going to be on a internet feed anywhere? I will not be making the trek to Jackson Friday night and would like to listen.

93.1 WDHR

Belfry's broadcast crew is top notch. Bobby Norman does a good job with play by play and longtime Belfry DC Steve Mickey is the color man.
DSRfan Wrote:I liked Woody Hayes. But that's a bygone era. An updated
version of that for today would be, "ONE thing happens if
you can't throw the ball, you don't win championships". Belfry may beat BC,
though I suspect that BC is the better team and will win.
And BC will have a better chance against Central than
Belfry does. Central will be diffcult for either, but
BC's versatility gives them a better shot.

While I respect your opinion, I must disagree. Belfry's offense allows them to take chunks of yardage and make up for lost speed by making Central guess. Plus keeps the ball out of their hands. Passing the ball is dangerous because they have the speed to get to a ball in the air, causing turnovers, or at the very least incompletions to stop the clock. If you just run the ball for chunks, don't turn it over, you stand a good chance against Central. It's super hard to pass the ball against a speedy team. Besides, it's not that Belfry CAN'T pass the ball, trust me, Henry Clay, Lawrence County, and Johnson Central will all tell you about Howie Dotson, they just haven't really had to. They don't have Aaron Rodgers or Andrew Luck out there, but they can pass the ball good enough to compliment the run.
pirate_time Wrote:"You smoke bc powder too? What is that like some sort of bath salt or meth ingredient"
Nope its bobcat!!!!!!Good luck pirates!!!!There's is alot of bulleting board material a year worth from these bobcat fans..crazy to get more motivation to coach like haywood...better believe he'll have he troops firing on all cylinders!!!!!! spell check got me again.

Lol, you need all the motivation you can get. Here's some more, of the last 13 or so meetings the bobcats have won ten. Luckily for you, you were no longer in our class during the late nineties or that number would have been much worse. And I mean that by saying our class in 2a and our class in football talent. Bottom line, WE OWN YOU!!
EKU I have read many of your post and respect your opinion because as I can tell you come across very honest. I wasn't at that game when Belfry threw the interception, but from my understanding it was a deep ball that was being thrown. For all the things I have posted about Belfry passing, I am not a pass heavy type of person either, but I am speaking of Belfry having some balance. I am more so speaking of the high percentage pass which consist of swing passes, screens, and utilizing tight ends. I am speaking of getting our athletes the ball in space where they can capitalize on their athleticism. Some passes have a higher percentage of completion than others as we all know. Let's think of it as a long hand off because if Johnson, Dotson, or Robinson make one guy miss they could very well take it to the house! Do I understand the philosophy of run first? yes. Haywood has done it for years and teams still can't stop it, but the better the teams get the more we need that balance attack. Of course all of this is purely my opinion and I haven't gotten a win coaching a midget league team (lol), but I've played and been coached by one of the best offensive minds I've seen in the mountains.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:The irony of this post is the fact that had Belfry not attempted a pass to end the 1st Half in their first matchup with Central, the Pirates may very well have a 3A Championship. That Pick 6 turned the game upside down and completely shifted momentum. Instead of going into the half down by 3 after having just turned the ball over, instead Central went in up 4 getting the ball to open the 2nd Half.

Belfry has the pieces to have a very, very dangerous passing game. Messer and Dotson both are good playmakers and can get open, the backs, specifically Robinson have good hands..and both Williams and Warren can throw the ball well. The issue with Belfry is you can only have a set number of options on any given play and when the pass is expected (3rd and Long, 2nd and Long) it becomes much easier to defend. The best chances for success are 1st and 2nd Down, but an incompletion suddenly puts you in the long yardage situations that kill the Belfry offense.

Do I get frustrated Belfry doesn't utilize the pass more? Sure. I also understand Haywood's philosophy and the fact that forcing a throw when it is unnecessary goes completely against what Haywood is trying to accomplish.
Breathitt in a close one... 21-14
hulkamania Wrote:Lol, you need all the motivation you can get. Here's some more, of the last 13 or so meetings the bobcats have won ten. Luckily for you, you were no longer in our class during the late nineties or that number would have been much worse. And I mean that by saying our class in 2a and our class in football talent. Bottom line, WE OWN YOU!!
Can you list those wins/losses ?

All time Belfry is 7-8 against Breathitt.
It was meant to be a deep ball, the issue came in that the QB's arm was hit as he released and it went into the air like a wounded duck.

By all accounts, Haywood was doing exactly what one would want and using Football 101. It is extremely common at every level to take a deep shot following a turnover in the middle of the field. In this case, it was the last play of the Half and the play was designed to be a TD or nothing against one on one coverage.

Central made the play by hitting the QB, by picking the ball, then by returning it 70+ yards.

Asking a team who's entire system is to run the belly with narrow splits and typically 3 guys at the most on pass patterns (two of which will always have to overcome contact at the LOS) simply makes the risk of something bad happening on a pass substantially higher than more traditional pro-style sets.

Does Belfry win another title or two with a more balanced offense? Maybe.... maybe not. In case you haven't noticed it isn't like Belfry is oozing with D-1 talent... in Belfry's legendary tradition you can count on one hand the number of guys who played at D-1 school. Belfry may have won a couple more, but without the veer and the dominant running game in 2003/2004 Belfry may have lost either title as well.

Although this is good discussion, we are getting away from the topic.

Has Breathitt considered bringing in additional seating? In year's past in much less anticipated games the Pirate faithful have far exceeded the visitor section and in turn took seats on the homestands before the Bobcat fans could arrive. There have been some tension in the stands as a result. I expect a massive crowd Friday.
Belfry by two td's!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
hulkamania Wrote:Lol, you need all the motivation you can get. Here's some more, of the last 13 or so meetings the bobcats have won ten. Luckily for you, you were no longer in our class during the late nineties or that number would have been much worse. And I mean that by saying our class in 2a and our class in football talent. Bottom line, WE OWN YOU!!

You sure about that stat?

I even posted the scores form the past decade earlier and every game in that time frame has came down to late in the 4th Quarter save the Belfry domination in the semi's a few years back. Wouldn't consider that to be a sign of anyone owning anyone.
Lol, you need all the motivation you can get. Here's some more, of the last 13 or so meetings the bobcats have won ten. Luckily for you, you were no longer in our class during the late nineties or that number would have been much worse. And I mean that by saying our class in 2a and our class in football talent. Bottom line, WE OWN YOU!!

Ashland had the same thoughts but different year different team....All I've heard on this site is bobcat fans talk how their the best team belfry has play an all this garbage but this belfry team has alot of player who played Lou central last year an IMO breathitt co isn't in the same class as them or Ashland or j.c. belfry isn't going to come to Jackson an lay down and take one like the bobcat fan think... GO BELFRY!!!!!
pirate_time Wrote:Lol, you need all the motivation you can get. Here's some more, of the last 13 or so meetings the bobcats have won ten. Luckily for you, you were no longer in our class during the late nineties or that number would have been much worse. And I mean that by saying our class in 2a and our class in football talent. Bottom line, WE OWN YOU!!

Ashland had the same thoughts but different year different team....All I've heard on this site is bobcat fans talk how their the best team belfry has play an all this garbage but this belfry team has alot of player who played Lou central last year an IMO breathitt co isn't in the same class as them or Ashland or j.c. belfry isn't going to come to Jackson an lay down and take one like the bobcat fan think... GO BELFRY!!!!!

I'm absolutely positive about that stat and yea, when you beat someone like that you OWN THEM!!! Belfry is just mighty lucky they didn't meet the bobcats last year. The only reason they made it ahead of somerset was the fact that the game was at cam and everyone who's been there knows that Belfry is automatically starting out with two touchdowns, maybe not cheating all the time but for some reason they sure get more calls than ANY other home team I have EVER seen. Not only will they lay down and take it from the bobcats, but they'll be looking for early thanksgiving break, because their road ends in jackson. Just be thankful you won't have to waste all that money on gas traveling to bowling green. ENJOY!!!
The Belfry/Breathitt series is one of the more entertaining and competitive series in KY.

Anyone who claims one "owns" the other has not been paying attention.

I'm looking toward Friday with anticipation, no doubt it will be another classic in a series that has very rarely failed to live up to the hype.
  •  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next