Poll: UK vs Duke, Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Kentucky
53.13%
Duke
34.38%
Dont Care
12.50%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK v.s. Duke 09-10 - Who Would Win?
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Lets see there stats and then ill tell you. they came in until the starters could catch their breath.

It doesn't matter, when each position can play 40 mins/game and you're averaging more than 5 minutes a game, you're playing a role, Liggins played almost a full half per game.
PC_You_Know Wrote:It doesn't matter, when each position can play 40 mins/game and you're averaging more than 5 minutes a game, you're playing a role, Liggins played almost a full half per game.

I did some math from ESPN.com to see how many minutes the freshman played:

5 freshman: Total of 3,879 minutes.
8 veterans: Total of 3,796 minutes.

It looks to me like both freshman and veterans had an equal impact. I know there are fewer freshman than the veterans, but the veterans still had a pretty good impact.

Something to remember, though, is that recruiting is part of coaching. If you remember Coach Tubby Smith (I wish Kentucky didn't fire him Sad ), he was a great coach that was said to maybe even be a future Hall of Famer. However, he was criticized for not being a good recruiter. Therefore, when looking at Coach Calipari, you have to include recruiting along with the fact of whether or not he's a good coach. He might not be the best strategist in the country, but I personally think he's overall a great coach.

vundy33 Wrote:HEY!...when I played UK vs. Duke on NCAA 10 it was always a close game..Just sayin'. lol.

:Thumbs: Both teams were great! If both teams played 10 games against each other, I predict it would be a 5-5 series.
PC_You_Know Wrote:UK was outrebounded by smaller teams all season long. You can't use that in saying UK would win the game against Duke with that.

I also want you to know that Duke will be better in '10-'11 than '09-'10. Duke might repeat.

? kentucky was out rebounded in 7 games.
Georgia twice
SC
Vandy
Florida
Ala.
Miss St.
Benchwarmer Wrote:? kentucky was out rebounded in 7 games.
Georgia twice
SC
Vandy
Florida
Ala.
Miss St.

It sure seemed like more than that.
Benchwarmer Wrote:? kentucky was out rebounded in 7 games.
Georgia twice
SC
Vandy
Florida
Ala.
Miss St.

UK was one of the better physical rebounding teams in the country. Teams HAD to be scrappy and fight for placement and maybe even get lucky if they wanted consistent rebounds against Patterson, Cousins, and Orton. Next year they may not be as physical with big bodies but the athleticism is through the roof and they have potential to do just as much damage. However, like PC said, Duke is the team to beat. But even though they are a little bit better than last years team I do not think that they will repeat.
[SIZE="4"]
[COLOR="Blue"]Shelby Valley High School:
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
MaxPreps National Champions!![/SIZE][/COLOR][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:UK was one of the better physical rebounding teams in the country. Teams HAD to be scrappy and fight for placement and maybe even get lucky if they wanted consistent rebounds against Patterson, Cousins, and Orton. Next year they may not be as physical with big bodies but the athleticism is through the roof and they have potential to do just as much damage. However, like PC said, Duke is the team to beat. But even though they are a little bit better than last years team I do not think that they will repeat.

I think they could, but since they'll be starting a 1 and done freshmen, I will not predict them to repeat, but if there ever was a team to win a title with a one and done starting, it's this year's Duke team.
I hate to agree with PC You Know on this, due to my hatred of Duke, but Duke has a pretty good chance of repeating.
Duke has the horses but a lot of luck has to go into it. Got to think that they probably will not be able to walk all over UNC again this year and with a better NC St team there might be a few more losses than what is expected.
[SIZE="4"]
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Duke has the horses but a lot of luck has to go into it. Got to think that they probably will not be able to walk all over UNC again this year and with a better NC St team there might be a few more losses than what is expected.

Kansas last season was considered the favorite to win the national championship. They had both talent and experience, but it seemed like they needed some luck also.
Deathstar 80 Wrote:Kansas last season was considered the favorite to win the national championship. They had both talent and experience, but it seemed like they needed some luck also.

Exactly. I do not think that the field will be entirely watered down so I think that Duke has their work cut out for them if they repeat. Coach K is a fantastic K as the past 20 years have shown but as in this past tourney with Kansas and Kentucky, one game that is sub-par and you are out. So luck comes into play that your string together 6 straight games that your team is clicking perfectly.
[SIZE="4"]
Deathstar 80 Wrote:Kansas last season was considered the favorite to win the national championship. They had both talent and experience, but it seemed like they needed some luck also.

:Thumbs:
Aslan Wrote:I don't trust Cal in big games. Actually I don't trust Call period. How can ya? He don't have an official final 4 under his belt. He's won nothing. He's always been able to recruit great talent but never win, when it matters.

Does good recruiting count when it is done illegally? lol
zaga_fan Wrote:Does good recruiting count when it is done illegally? lol

Lol, :lmao:wow, I seriously never thought of it that way. Great post!:Thumbs:
zaga_fan Wrote:Does good recruiting count when it is done illegally? lol

IDK if your referring to the UK recruiting but as far as we know, he done nothing illegal thus far.. Way to hate on UK's coach Zagnut! :Thumbs:
Does anyone know when the preseason rankings come out??? I would say that it should be pretty soon.
[SIZE="4"]
Ballers Wrote:IDK if your referring to the UK recruiting but as far as we know, he done nothing illegal thus far.. Way to hate on UK's coach Zagnut! :Thumbs:

He's just been here one year....
Once he gets to a Final Four he will get it vacated like the rest of his Final Four appearances.
zaga_fan Wrote:He's just been here one year....
Once he gets to a Final Four he will get it vacated like the rest of his Final Four appearances.

Welp, looks like his elite 8 and UK's 2000 win are yet to be vacated.:ChairHit:
Ballers Wrote:Welp, looks like his elite 8 and UK's 2000 win are yet to be vacated.:ChairHit:

You just said all that needed to be said.
PC_You_Know Wrote:You just said all that needed to be said.

LOL

He can be in the elite 8 every year for the rest of his life for all I care.
Elite 8's and draft picks don't make great coaches, championships do.

If it turns out someone took money or had a test taken for them last year and UK2K never officially existed....
I will laugh....
and laugh....
and laugh....
zaga_fan Wrote:LOL

He can be in the elite 8 every year for the rest of his life for all I care.
Elite 8's and draft picks don't make great coaches, championships do.

If it turns out someone took money or had a test taken for them last year and UK2K never officially existed....
I will laugh....
and laugh....
and laugh....

Just like I will laugh at the poor excuse of a school called Gonzaga.. Cinderella team of the NCAA tourney. :Thumbs:
Ballers Wrote:Just like I will laugh at the poor excuse of a school called Gonzaga.. Cinderella team of the NCAA tourney. :Thumbs:

One thing you can say about Mark Few is that he recruits with dignity and works with what he has.

He gets more out of his players than anyone in the league.

UK would be lucky to have someone like that as a coach.
Drug problem under Mark Few.
http://www.collegesports.campusgrotto.co...blems.html

What class.http://dailyuw.com/2009/10/28/mark-few-w...s-bigfoot/

If I cant beat them then I will rat on them. Title of mark Few's new book.http://www.gonzagabulletin.com/2.5527/uw...s-1.853952
Kentucky had trouble defending the three point arc all year, and they also turned the ball over much too often. Duke would have won on those two factors IMO. It would be very close, and if they were to play 10 games, I think each team would have won 5. But, Duke won the title and you must give credit to where credit is due. Duke got the job done, UK did not.
itzAmazing Wrote:Kentucky had trouble defending the three point arc all year, and they also turned the ball over much too often. Duke would have won on those two factors IMO. It would be very close, and if they were to play 10 games, I think each team would have won 5. But, Duke won the title and you must give credit to where credit is due. Duke got the job done, UK did not.

Fair enough :Thumbs:
itzAmazing Wrote:Kentucky had trouble defending the three point arc all year, and they also turned the ball over much too often. Duke would have won on those two factors IMO. It would be very close, and if they were to play 10 games, I think each team would have won 5. But, Duke won the title and you must give credit to where credit is due. Duke got the job done, UK did not.

And I will agree to that much anyways.
Benchwarmer Wrote:Drug problem under Mark Few.

If I cant beat them then I will rat on them. Title of mark Few's new book.http://www.gonzagabulletin.com/2.5527/uw...s-1.853952

Few can't help it his kids got busted for being stupid.
After the NCAA suspended them, he sat them for the rest of the year and gave them the opportunity to earn their scholarship back.

The bigfoot's baby crap is a funny joke and I would turn in UW for recruiting too. That's a big rivalry that has pretty much been disbanded because of the trouble it has caused.

If those are the worst things a coach has on his track record he's doing good.
At least the Zags will never have a season vacated.
Benchwarmer Wrote:Drug problem under Mark Few.

:lmao:
honestly like the guy above said Kentucky choked on the chance to win or to play duke in the championship cause they were a young team with no expirience when they played WV, and Speaking as a Duke Fan...Duke wouldve put Kentucky away badly...:devilflam
Ballers Wrote::lmao:

How can you laugh at another program when considering UK basketball's past problems?
PC_You_Know Wrote:How can you laugh at another program when considering UK basketball's past problems?

Because UK is a basketball school and Gonzaga is definitley not.