•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Powell County Pirates 2008
blitz43 Wrote:I agree with you coacher. I think weightlifting is very, very important. A good coach will have, for the most part, the fundamentals down, by the first game. Therefore, the strongest will rise to the top. Coach Dubya will have the Pirates in a whole lot better position to win this year.

How long have you coached? Just because you can read a recipe, doesn't mean you can cook, no matter how good the ingredients.
blitz43 Wrote:Whe all thing are equal..The strongest will win....A quote I picked up from Coach Dubya.....true, very true

When all are equal the best coached will win. Equal meaning strength, speed, etc. Who has worked hardest, put in the most time preparing correctly. Mike Tyson was a very strong and fast man, probably more than any heavy weight in his time. Once he stopped doing what he did best, he started losing to more weak, less speed people. It has been proven throughout history. You have to prepare. If I can bench 500lbs. what good is it if I can't block or tackle due to lack of preparation. Think about it.
F.N.L. Wrote:When all are equal the best coached will win. Equal meaning strength, speed, etc. Who has worked hardest, put in the most time preparing correctly. Mike Tyson was a very strong and fast man, probably more than any heavy weight in his time. Once he stopped doing what he did best, he started losing to more weak, less speed people. It has been proven throughout history. You have to prepare. If I can bench 500lbs. what good is it if I can't block or tackle due to lack of preparation. Think about it.

So, a team full of kids that can't even lift their own weight, can beat a bunch of kids that are a lot stronger. If you are diciplined enough to be in the weight room, you will already be doing the little thing correct. We were really weak last year but should have won at least 2 more games. The 2 close games we lost were mostly to do with strength. If we would have been stronger, I think we would have won those games.
F.N.L. Wrote:How long have you coached? Just because you can read a recipe, doesn't mean you can cook, no matter how good the ingredients.

Big Grin
You all keep saying that the best coached team will win....Our coach WILL have these boys prepared and ready. That being said, strength will be the deciding factor. We have decent speed, we're blocking better, we tackle ok, Looks like we just need to get stronger. Also, #'s wouldn't hurt either. The more kids that come out, the more athletes you got to chose from.
I am stating my opinion. I enjoy reading everyone elses. It is fun to see how everybody approaches different things. In the future FNL, don't question my coaching. Don't make this personal.
blitz43 Wrote:Big Grin
You all keep saying that the best coached team will win....Our coach WILL have these boys prepared and ready. That being said, strength will be the deciding factor. We have decent speed, we're blocking better, we tackle ok, Looks like we just need to get stronger. Also, #'s wouldn't hurt either. The more kids that come out, the more athletes you got to chose from.
I am stating my opinion. I enjoy reading everyone elses. It is fun to see how everybody approaches different things. In the future FNL, don't question my coaching. Don't make this personal.

Don't take it personal! Just want to know how long or if you are a player a downtown QB. In the future don't be so quick to jump to conclusions.
blitz43 Wrote:So, a team full of kids that can't even lift their own weight, can beat a bunch of kids that are a lot stronger. If you are diciplined enough to be in the weight room, you will already be doing the little thing correct. We were really weak last year but should have won at least 2 more games. The 2 close games we lost were mostly to do with strength. If we would have been stronger, I think we would have won those games.

Been waiting on a reply like this. One game you lost (Berea) had nothing to do with strenght. Two equal teams, except several costly mistakes on offense early in the second half. The team looked like they did not know what they were doing. Which makes coaches look like they haven't got their team ready. You could have been real, real stong and it would not have mattered, the mistakes would have been made. Look at the big picture.
blitz43 Wrote:So, a team full of kids that can't even lift their own weight, can beat a bunch of kids that are a lot stronger. If you are diciplined enough to be in the weight room, you will already be doing the little thing correct. We were really weak last year but should have won at least 2 more games. The 2 close games we lost were mostly to do with strength. If we would have been stronger, I think we would have won those games.

Yes they can! It has been proven time and time again. There are examples throughout this thread. Being defensive or carrying a chip is not helping your cause. I know several coaches who win with less talent by simply out coaching other coaches. You don't have to like it or believe it, but I guarantee it will continue to be proven in the future. Do you think strength has anything to do with fundamentals, not turning the ball over, tackling, blocking. It might help, but it is not the ultimate answer. Look at some of these schools that are absolutely loaded with all you speak of. They continue to loose to the same old coaches who have been in the game for over 20 years. Football is 90% mental and 10% physical.....I would rather be better at the 90% part myself.
I have seen the error of my ways, "all-knowing posters". You all are 100% right. I don't know what I was thinking. Please search and find forgiveness in your hearts. I know I can change. I will never go against anything you all say... I am so sorry....Peace.....................LOL
blitz43 Wrote:I have seen the error of my ways, "all-knowing posters". You all are 100% right. I don't know what I was thinking. Please search and find forgiveness in your hearts. I know I can change. I will never go against anything you all say... I am so sorry....Peace.....................LOL
Smile
Mike Whitaker can coach. Support him and give him time and he will improve football in Powell County.
I agree state champs....mike whitaker is one of the top high school football coaches in the state...give him time and will turn that powell co program into a winning progam
bobcatfan22 Wrote:I agree state champs....mike whitaker is one of the top high school football coaches in the state...give him time and will turn that powell co program into a winning progam

Mike Whitaker will do good at Powell County. He knows how to coach, and he knows how to win.
blitz43 Wrote:I have seen the error of my ways, "all-knowing posters". You all are 100% right. I don't know what I was thinking. Please search and find forgiveness in your hearts. I know I can change. I will never go against anything you all say... I am so sorry....Peace.....................LOL

I truly hope you are not a coach and rather a fan. Remarks like the one's made is an embarrassment to your program and coach if you are associated with the team. If you are a coach it shows lack of respect for your team and coach and if you are the head coach, then you don't need to be in the game. You are playing into the hands of all people and letting them control you. Coaches should not allow players, coaches, or anyone involved with the program on this site. It stirs you up, and once something is in your head, they have won half the battle. Great coaches do not read the paper or internet to get their kicks, they get it on the field. The one's who do this (get on the net or praise themselves in the newspaper) however seem to want glory for whatever reason. Talk is cheap and easy to do, but when it comes down to it, you have to get the job done. Think about it before you reply, I expect some type of sarcasim, but that is just an escape.
State Champs Wrote:Mike Whitaker can coach. Support him and give him time and he will improve football in Powell County.

He has proven he can be succesfull where the programs have had a past, this can't be taken away from him. I feel he is facing a battle which he has never been in before, maybe not, just my opinion. I think people will give it a chance, they need to if they want the sport. If they don't get it done with him, I don't think you will see a coach with his credientials beating down the doors to be the next one there. Good Luck too him, as he tries to build a program.
Journeyman Wrote:I truly hope you are not a coach and rather a fan. Remarks like the one's made is an embarrassment to your program and coach if you are associated with the team. If you are a coach it shows lack of respect for your team and coach and if you are the head coach, then you don't need to be in the game. You are playing into the hands of all people and letting them control you. Coaches should not allow players, coaches, or anyone involved with the program on this site. It stirs you up, and once something is in your head, they have won half the battle. Great coaches do not read the paper or internet to get their kicks, they get it on the field. The one's who do this (get on the net or praise themselves in the newspaper) however seem to want glory for whatever reason. Talk is cheap and easy to do, but when it comes down to it, you have to get the job done. Think about it before you reply, I expect some type of sarcasim, but that is just an escape.

Journeyman, I get on this site because it's a blast. All you know-it-alls on here coaching from your computers like your Bear Bryant or something. Take it to the field and see how successful you are then. Do you really think that posting on this site will have anything to do with the outcome of Powell Co. football games. That's insane. There's probably only a couple dozen people from Powell that get on this site anyway and most of them just read it for fun. Your the one taking it too serious. Relax and have a little fun. Get your panties out of a wad....Your friend, Blitz43Wink
Did Powell's defensive cordinator go back to Estill? just asking
blitz43 Wrote:Journeyman, I get on this site because it's a blast. All you know-it-alls on here coaching from your computers like your Bear Bryant or something. Take it to the field and see how successful you are then. Do you really think that posting on this site will have anything to do with the outcome of Powell Co. football games. That's insane. There's probably only a couple dozen people from Powell that get on this site anyway and most of them just read it for fun. Your the one taking it too serious. Relax and have a little fun. Get your panties out of a wad....Your friend, Blitz43Wink

This type of response was expected. I have taken it to the field, if you must know and been more than successful. However that is not the point. You should relax yourself and be realistic. You mentioned yourself in one of your post, don't make this personal.
MR.PERFECT Wrote:Did Powell's defensive cordinator go back to Estill? just asking

No. I don't think he will coach at Estill unless there is a change in coaching.
blitz43 Wrote:Journeyman, I get on this site because it's a blast. All you know-it-alls on here coaching from your computers like your Bear Bryant or something. Take it to the field and see how successful you are then. Do you really think that posting on this site will have anything to do with the outcome of Powell Co. football games. That's insane. There's probably only a couple dozen people from Powell that get on this site anyway and most of them just read it for fun. Your the one taking it too serious. Relax and have a little fun. Get your panties out of a wad....Your friend, Blitz43Wink

Let it go man. And if you think there is only a couple of people from Powell that get on this site, you are mistaken. This is the best place for people to bash someone, behind the mask. :igiveup:
Powell Co. is going to see improvements this year, no doubt. I wish everyone would just get behind the team instead of bashing the program and the coaches. There has to be a start somewhere so give it time and let's encourage these kids to improve. We all know that this sport can improve the kids entire lives, as well. But, we, the adults need to encourage them (as a team). The boys are working hard to improve strength and they will soon be working hard to improve with fundamentals. The coaching staff is also just as qualified (if not moreso) than any other coaching staff in the area. No point in the bickering...you nonbelievers can just apologize later when you see the changes yourself! Wink
F.N.L. Wrote:When all are equal the best coached will win. Equal meaning strength, speed, etc. Who has worked hardest, put in the most time preparing correctly. Mike Tyson was a very strong and fast man, probably more than any heavy weight in his time. Once he stopped doing what he did best, he started losing to more weak, less speed people. It has been proven throughout history. You have to prepare. If I can bench 500lbs. what good is it if I can't block or tackle due to lack of preparation. Think about it.

You have a good point, FNL, but why are you so sure that Powell won't be prepared? Besides, if you can bench 500 lbs, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to block or tackle. I think it would be kinda tough to stand up if Mike Tyson was hitting you with all he had (in his stronger days, I mean). I agree they need to know technique and that is very important, but without a doubt, these boys' biggest problem last year was the fact that none of them were strong enough to hold their own. That's gonna change this year :howdy:
go pirates! and your cool journeyman.
TeamMom Wrote:You have a good point, FNL, but why are you so sure that Powell won't be prepared? Besides, if you can bench 500 lbs, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to block or tackle. I think it would be kinda tough to stand up if Mike Tyson was hitting you with all he had (in his stronger days, I mean). I agree they need to know technique and that is very important, but without a doubt, these boys' biggest problem last year was the fact that none of them were strong enough to hold their own. That's gonna change this year :howdy:

Did not say they wouldn't be prepared! Simply stated, strength is not the miracle cure. You have a quality head coach but he needs more support to build a program now more than ever. If he can get people on the same page, you all have a chance to be pretty tough. I can promise you, no one in Powell Co. knows more X,s and O's than your head coach.
blitz43 Wrote:go pirates! and your cool journeyman.

Dude, LET IT GO!
F.N.L. Wrote:Dude, LET IT GO!
Let what go? This is the best message board in the country....BTW, your not as cool.TongueirateSho ....Go Pirates!
blitz43 Wrote:Let what go? This is the best message board in the country....BTW, your not as cool.TongueirateSho ....Go Pirates!

This made me laugh out loud. Blitz, I say this with love and respect to a fellow pirate...you're a dork! I like it :rockon:
F.N.L. Wrote:No. I don't think he will coach at Estill unless there is a change in coaching.
No need for a coaching change at Estill. They had a solid year.
Powell will get better every year. Estill struggled a few years ago now they're having 9-3 seasons. It will take some time but Powell will get there. SUPPORT is better than ever so no need to talk about NO SUPPORT. The admin. will and does support coach Whitaker. The only thing Powell needs is time. Rich Brooks didn't improve Kentucky in 1 season but in time he did. Estill got better in time and so will Powell. The head coach at Estill does a great job.
Coach Whitaker in given time will make Powell competetive with whoever they play.
It takes time to get stronger and faster and learn a new system. In time Powell will improve greatly.
MR.PERFECT Wrote:No need for a coaching change at Estill. They had a solid year.
Powell will get better every year. Estill struggled a few years ago now they're having 9-3 seasons. It will take some time but Powell will get there. SUPPORT is better than ever so no need to talk about NO SUPPORT. The admin. will and does support coach Whitaker. The only thing Powell needs is time. Rich Brooks didn't improve Kentucky in 1 season but in time he did. Estill got better in time and so will Powell. The head coach at Estill does a great job.

Did you happen to see the schedule played at Estill. They did not beat one quality team, nor a team with a winning record. They were beaten by single A Pineville, and man handled by a very average Breathitt team. They give up 23 pts per game with a veteran team. According to KHSAA Powell give up 28 pts per game. Estill does not play good defense because they don't practice it. You are right about the coaching change, they don't need one if they can keep sceduling teams who do not have a good program or are weak, etc. Bottom line, you are never going to get out of the district doing this..... That is not successful. By the way Estill got better scheduling teams who were not very good, Bourbon longest losing streak in the state, Phelps, Magoffin who got beat by Morgan, Knott Co. Central, Berea, Pinville who was a sure win, but didn't happen because lack of defense, and the district is extremely weak. Estill is as strong and fast as Breathitt, but do not compare on the field. Please do not insult the program at Estill which at one time did not run from anyone and scheduled the the best they could and were successful. You will win also at Powell if you can find weak enough teams. People in Estill who know football and the past of the program are not happy, it is embarrassing to play this type of schedule. I will now lay aside my dagger and get back to work. One more thing before I go, look at Breathitt's schedule, only weak teams they play are in the district. Beat LCA who one the state, beat Prestonsburg. They can't find an easy schedule because people don't want to play them. Guess what they are successful, same coach for years doing the same things he has always done. You don't accomplish this by playing weak teams and not playing defense. Please don't insult Estill County by saying they are successful.
blitz43 Wrote:Let what go? This is the best message board in the country....BTW, your not as cool.TongueirateSho ....Go Pirates!

I really want to be cool, I'm .......not sorry, so I am not cool. The vast majority of the people on here are Eastern KY., says a lot about our time spent. I do enjoy seeing you get stirred up as well as other people. It is a fun site to read. I come in Peace (Buzz Lightyear) take care and make the other teams walk the plank!
  •  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next