•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Open Job: Head Coach, Magoffin County
(12-03-2021, 12:02 PM)kai Wrote:
(12-03-2021, 10:47 AM)Redneck Wrote:
(12-02-2021, 05:59 PM)MountainMusic Wrote: I remember watching jarrell and ray play in high school. Jerrell may be solid if he wanted it. At least he has experience. I worry about Ray’s experience. Being at one school with only one coach would seem to limit what he has learned in order to lead a program. What about the coach at Phelps. I head they may not have enough to field a team. I’ve heard he’s a pretty smart coach and has much more experience than either of the other?? Has anyone even heard who has officially applied?
What was Jarrell’s experience before taking over at Betsy Layne?

I got a list of names last week from a source, but I asked the AD who all had applied and he told me that he hadn’t even looked and wasn’t gonna look until the deadline to apply was up.
I call BS on Mr. West statement there.  He knows who has applied just don't want to get caught up in the rumor mill.   As far as Ray goes not sure if he is even be interested, but the Coach he is learning from is one of the best, I would love to see them take a chance on him.  Ray been right in middle of staff that won state championship, he has seen and experienced the work it takes to get a team to that level.  Not many young coaches will have the same experience, same goes for Gamble (However, don't see him ever leaving JC).
Agree about Jordan Ray. He’s gonna be a hell of a head coach one day. Same goes for Blake Gamble. I was just curious about Jarrell’s prior experience to becoming a head coach.
(12-03-2021, 01:26 PM)Redneck Wrote:
(12-03-2021, 12:52 PM)jamesclay Wrote:
(12-02-2021, 05:59 PM)MountainMusic Wrote: I remember watching jarrell and ray play in high school. Jerrell may be solid if he wanted it. At least he has experience. I worry about Ray’s experience. Being at one school with only one coach would seem to limit what he has learned in order to lead a program. What about the coach at Phelps. I head they may not have enough to field a team. I’ve heard he’s a pretty smart coach and has much more experience than either of the other?? Has anyone even heard who has officially applied?

I got a list of names last week from a source, but I asked the AD who all had applied and he told me that he hadn’t even looked and wasn’t gonna look until the deadline to apply was up.

Post the list then.
John Derosett, needs no intro.
Justin Combs, former Magoffin HC
Jason Wages, former player from back in the 90’s, apparently coached middle school somewhere once upon a time. The favorite to get the job from what I’m hearing.
James Lee Montgomery, current Magoffin assistant.
JC middle school coach? Not sure which one. 
Pburg coach? Not sure which one.
Robert Bailey, former Magoffin player, former Magoffin Elem coach and current Magoffin MS coach. 
Seth Howard, former Magoffin player, helped with the elementary one or two years. 
Nick Marcum, former Magoffin assistant. Mason Lovely’s uncle. 
A guy named Shouse???
I would highly doubt Dustin Shouse applying for the coaching job! As for who I think they will hire I have no clue but I’m sure it will be political.
(12-03-2021, 05:42 PM)deedsnotwords Wrote:

Post the list then.
Jason Wages, former player from back in the 90’s, apparently coached middle school somewhere once upon a time. The favorite to get the job from what I’m hearing.
Robert Bailey, former Magoffin player, former Magoffin Elem coach and current Magoffin MS coach. 
Seth Howard, former Magoffin player, helped with the elementary one or two years. 
A guy named Shouse???
I would highly doubt Dustin Shouse applying for the coaching job! As for who I think they will hire I have no clue but I’m sure it will be political.
Who is Dustin Shouse
(12-03-2021, 08:55 PM)Redneck Wrote:
(12-03-2021, 10:47 AM)Redneck Wrote: What was Jarrell’s experience before taking over at Betsy Layne?

Post the list then.
A guy named Shouse???
Who is Dustin Shouse
He coached at Breathitt in the middle school program and went with JP Chapman to Pike Central. Stopped coaching for a while and coached the defense with Combs the last year he was there. He applied for the job last time and didn’t get it.
(12-03-2021, 09:09 PM)deedsnotwords Wrote:
(12-03-2021, 08:55 PM)Redneck Wrote:
(12-03-2021, 12:52 PM)jamesclay Wrote: Post the list then.
A guy named Shouse???
Who is Dustin Shouse
He coached at Breathitt in the middle school program and went with JP Chapman to Pike Central. Stopped coaching for a while and coached the defense with Combs the last year he was there. He applied for the job last time and didn’t get it.
I knew that name sounded familiar
I played with Dustin Shouse at Breathitt(he went by Dustin Ritchie then). He's been a military recruiter last few years. I think he would be a very good coach. He would be excellent in getting kid interested in playing and would be a good motivator. Not sure if he's interested in the job or not but Magoffin could do a heck of a lot worse
Surprised to hear Dustin's name mentioned. He was a good, tough player & I know he coached at breathitt in the past.  I'm sure he'd do a good job & magoffin could def do worse.
I don't know anything about coaches mentioned other than Derossett. Seen plenty of teams he's coached & they've all been competitive and well coached.  I know some stuff went down with him at Pburg & it ended badly, but I don't know any details. 
Jp Chapman &/or Shorty Combs would be home run hires for any program.  But it's fantasy to think either of them would go to magoffin I imagine.  Chapman is busy coaching his grandkids in golf. & Shorty has brought his kids up through system here at breathitt, & is a huge part of program. I just don't see him going anywhere.
There is rumor going around former breathitt player/coach Wade Collins has applied. I've heard from reliable source he & his brother Eric Collins are interested in the job.  Two former great breathitt players & guys. Word is they're trying to get a bunch of breathitt guys to go with them if they got it.
Be hard to equal derossett's resume, but in my opinion the Collins Bros would be a great hire & a big get for a magoffin co program that's had minimal success in its past. Esp if they could bring with them a bunch of breathitt guys with a bunch of rings.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bobcat_Prid3's post:
  • Redneck
Today is the deadline for applications. Hopefully this won’t be too long of a process so the new coach can get a strength & conditioning program implemented. These boys need to be in the weight room.
Great. Maybe the main man will actually look at the applications today then.
(12-05-2021, 09:19 PM)Bobcat_Prid3 Wrote: Surprised to hear Dustin's name mentioned. He was a good, tough player & I know he coached at breathitt in the past.  I'm sure he'd do a good job & magoffin could def do worse.
I don't know anything about coaches mentioned other than Derossett. Seen plenty of teams he's coached & they've all been competitive and well coached.  I know some stuff went down with him at Pburg & it ended badly, but I don't know any details. 
Jp Chapman &/or Shorty Combs would be home run hires for any program.  But it's fantasy to think either of them would go to magoffin I imagine.  Chapman is busy coaching his grandkids in golf. & Shorty has brought his kids up through system here at breathitt, & is a huge part of program. I just don't see him going anywhere.
There is rumor going around former breathitt player/coach Wade Collins has applied. I've heard from reliable source he & his brother Eric Collins are interested in the job.  Two former great breathitt players & guys. Word is they're trying to get a bunch of breathitt guys to go with them if they got it.
Be hard to equal derossett's resume, but in my opinion the Collins Bros would be a great hire & a big get for a magoffin co program that's had minimal success in its past. Esp if they could bring with them a bunch of breathitt guys with a bunch of rings.

JP Chapman while an amazing defensive mind has too much baggage to be  a HC again in my opinion. I would hire him in a second as a DC though.
(12-06-2021, 04:16 PM)wolfcat Wrote:
(12-05-2021, 09:19 PM)Bobcat_Prid3 Wrote: Surprised to hear Dustin's name mentioned. He was a good, tough player & I know he coached at breathitt in the past.  I'm sure he'd do a good job & magoffin could def do worse.

JP Chapman while an amazing defensive mind has too much baggage to be  a HC again in my opinion. I would hire him in a second as a DC though.

Like Ed Orgeron  Smile
The real question is does MC want to win or not. I’m sure they have multiple coaches that can win apply with decent resumes.  MC is in a geographical location about like the Alamo. Everyone wants to count them out yet it’s always intriguing. 
MC is located 15 miles from Paintsville, Prestonsburg and JC. Should be a recruiting hotbed. It’s a lot like Boyle County that’s surrenders by Lincoln And Garrod. Or Belfry and Pikeville and that’s not a knock that’s complete positive based on the programs. 

Feeder program Elementary wise is good they have multiple programs that compete

Middle School well your can see played and athletes there but who do they play. Undefeated year in and year out but who are they beating.  They don’t play Josh don Central, Letcher, Bell, Ashland and Pikeville.  They athletes are there let them challenge themselves. 
High school has no weight program and speed program. They have no many to hire assistant coaches or coaches that know the difference between a odd defense or even. They do good enough to walk through pregame. I’m not saying hire a teacher but they need to hire someone that can spend forty hours a week there including weights.  This takes a full time head coach that is willing to have kids buy into the program. Someone that takes over has a beautiful facility that’s one of the best in the region. That being said my top ten from what I’ve seen and heard!
John Derositt: sorry for the misspelling but the man can coach. I have known him for years I don’t understand what some people don’t like about him but at the same time I never had a kid go through the program. 
Justin Combs: I don’t think he leaves Breathitt to go back.
Dustin Shouse: Probably was the best hire three years ago mostly cause he was a players coach and had a weight program but again couldn’t be there full time. He isn’t into consideration pretty sure he told the admin to go on another vacation.
Wade Collins: coached Breathitt Co. defense 2011-2013 and also middle school programs head coach for a couple years. Players coach has a teaching degree. 
 Montgomery: Very involved in the community has 100% buy in. I don’t think he wants it cause he can’t devote himself to it. 
Nick Marcum: A community pillar that refs and has been a coach again for a high school. 

Long story short this school has a ton of talent all they need is someone to puta little knowledge a heart into it and it will happen.
If you think JOC only knows defense, your opinion on the man is irrelevant and un-informed. As for baggage, I have heard some crazy rumors about the man and his temper. I can neither confirm or refute any of that stuff. But kids that are actually playing for him seem to like or at least respect him at the time.

JPC*

JPC*
(12-06-2021, 11:42 PM)deedsnotwords Wrote: The real question is does MC want to win or not. I’m sure they have multiple coaches that can win apply with decent resumes.  MC is in a geographical location about like the Alamo. Everyone wants to count them out yet it’s always intriguing. 
MC is located 15 miles from Paintsville, Prestonsburg and JC. Should be a recruiting hotbed. It’s a lot like Boyle County that’s surrenders by Lincoln And Garrod. Or Belfry and Pikeville and that’s not a knock that’s complete positive based on the programs. 

Feeder program Elementary wise is good they have multiple programs that compete

Middle School well your can see played and athletes there but who do they play. Undefeated year in and year out but who are they beating.  They don’t play Josh don Central, Letcher, Bell, Ashland and Pikeville.  They athletes are there let them challenge themselves. 
High school has no weight program and speed program. They have no many to hire assistant coaches or coaches that know the difference between a odd defense or even. They do good enough to walk through pregame. I’m not saying hire a teacher but they need to hire someone that can spend forty hours a week there including weights.  This takes a full time head coach that is willing to have kids buy into the program. Someone that takes over has a beautiful facility that’s one of the best in the region. That being said my top ten from what I’ve seen and heard!
John Derositt: sorry for the misspelling but the man can coach. I have known him for years I don’t understand what some people don’t like about him but at the same time I never had a kid go through the program. 
Justin Combs: I don’t think he leaves Breathitt to go back.
Dustin Shouse: Probably was the best hire three years ago mostly cause he was a players coach and had a weight program but again couldn’t be there full time. He isn’t into consideration pretty sure he told the admin to go on another vacation.
Wade Collins: coached Breathitt Co. defense 2011-2013 and also middle school programs head coach for a couple years. Players coach has a teaching degree. 
 Montgomery: Very involved in the community has 100% buy in. I don’t think he wants it cause he can’t devote himself to it. 
Nick Marcum: A community pillar that refs and has been a coach again for a high school. 

Long story short this school has a ton of talent all they need is someone to puta little knowledge a heart into it and it will happen.
You are correct about the feeder programs, except for the Letcher part. Letcher was in their conference for middle school and 5th & 6th. Magoffin won both championships and went I defeated. Letcher was horrible, surprisingly. This coming year, both are joining the KMSFA, so they’ll definitely be playing better competition.
JPC is the only candidate that could challenge Derossett, of those who have been mentioned. Magoffin has already proven they are a clown show by not hiring either of those two yet.
(12-07-2021, 12:12 PM)Real Badman Wrote: JPC is the only candidate that could challenge Derossett, of those who have been mentioned. Magoffin has already proven they are a clown show by not hiring either of those two yet.
In fairness, the posting just closed. However, Im sure the circus will continue. Haha
(12-07-2021, 07:53 AM)ROTC Wrote: If you think JOC only knows defense, your opinion on the man is irrelevant and un-informed.  As for baggage, I have heard some crazy rumors about the man and his temper.  I can neither confirm or refute any of that stuff.  But kids that are actually playing for him seem to like or at least respect him at the time.

JPC*

JPC*
I played under Chapman in middle and high school. Best defensive mind I have ever played under.
I respect the man and he is a great coach.  
I know he is no idiot on offense but he was always more defensive minded and didn't do much with offense at least at Breathitt when he went to Pikeville at least the 1st year he just handed off to his son. 
As for the baggage.
Most of the stuff you heard is true. I was an eyewitness to one incident. 

Some people are just better suited to be a Coordinator than a head coach. We see it in the NFL and college all the time. You can just focus on football and not worry about community or parent issues.
With all that being said I would not let my son play for a team where he was the head coach. I know many in Breathitt Co that have voiced similar sentiments.
(12-07-2021, 12:35 PM)2000PHS Wrote:
(12-07-2021, 12:12 PM)Real Badman Wrote: JPC is the only candidate that could challenge Derossett, of those who have been mentioned. Magoffin has already proven they are a clown show by not hiring either of those two yet.
In fairness, the posting just closed. However, Im sure the circus will continue. Haha
Lord I hope you are wrong lol
The suspense is killing me lol
Bold statement if Magoffin hires derosset they will be competing at high level in 3  years or so, with the talent coming uo and the kids from Eastern Ky that would make the move not to mention kids who wouldn’t normally come out coming out. He’s still a well liked man in these parts believe it or not. He was also a vital assistant coach on a state runner up team this year in WV as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gold River's post:
  • Redneck
(12-07-2021, 11:53 PM)Gold River Wrote: Bold statement if Magoffin hires derosset they will be competing at high level in 3  years or so, with the talent coming uo and the kids from Eastern Ky that would make the move not to mention kids who wouldn’t normally come out coming out. He’s still a well liked man in these parts believe it or not. He was also a vital assistant coach on a state runner up team this year in WV as well.
I can see you think highly of him…I can’t say that I know him personally but there has to be a disconnect from what we hear? I don’t see anyone moving to play for him other than some sons of his former players from the Prestonsburg hay day. If anything recent track record says kids move away from him, former employers don’t like and trust him, and chaos ensues? I want the best for all schools in the mountains but I just don’t get how there’s any other view when looking objectively when all you would have to do is talk to former employers?? I could see JPC being in the mix! Also what about any magoffin alumni is there anyone out there that played there that’s had success anywhere? I could be wrong I just don’t see the Derossett hire happening.
(12-08-2021, 12:19 AM)MountainMusic Wrote:
(12-07-2021, 11:53 PM)Gold River Wrote: Bold statement if Magoffin hires derosset they will be competing at high level in 3  years or so, with the talent coming uo and the kids from Eastern Ky that would make the move not to mention kids who wouldn’t normally come out coming out. He’s still a well liked man in these parts believe it or not. He was also a vital assistant coach on a state runner up team this year in WV as well.
I can see you think highly of him…I can’t say that I know him personally but there has to be a disconnect from what we hear? I don’t see anyone moving to play for him other than some sons of his former players from the Prestonsburg hay day. If anything recent track record says kids move away from him, former employers don’t like and trust him, and chaos ensues? I want the best for all schools in the mountains but I just don’t get how there’s any other view when looking objectively when all you would have to do is talk to former employers?? I could see JPC being in the mix! Also what about any magoffin alumni is there anyone out there that played there that’s had success anywhere? I could be wrong I just don’t see the Derossett hire happening.
We will find out next week more than likely. I was told they wanted to make a hire before Christmas break.
They’ve narrowed the selection down to 6 applicants from the 15 they had apply. Names are being kept on the DL for whatever reason.

C'mon on.  You need to take a few steps back.   You're acting like Magoffin is just a player or two away.   Magoffin needs someone who can build from the youth program up.  They have not been competitive for YEARS.   not gonna change overnight
(12-13-2021, 10:35 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:

C'mon on.  You need to take a few steps back.   You're acting like Magoffin is just a player or two away.   Magoffin needs someone who can build from the youth program up.  They have not been competitive for YEARS.   not gonna change overnight
First off Magoffin had the best athlete in the 15th region on their football team this year and won most games solely on having him. Imagine if they had a extra player or two. Second you obviously have 0 clue about the mindset over there and what you’re talking about in general, kids have never experienced winning over there no matter what you do to build the youth you gotta go show something at the high school level and Magoffin has a great youth program that’s the problem all the kids quit when they get to the high school level cause they know they can’t compete. All good programs around these parts changed by having the right hire.
(12-14-2021, 12:33 AM)Gold River Wrote:

First off Magoffin had the best athlete in the 15th region on their football team this year and won most games solely on having him. Imagine if they had a extra player or two. Second you obviously have 0 clue about the mindset over there and what you’re talking about in general, kids have never experienced winning over there no matter what you do to build the youth you gotta go show something at the high school level and Magoffin has a great youth program that’s the problem all the kids quit when they get to the high school level cause they know they can’t compete. All good programs around these parts changed by having the right hire.
Hahahahaha best athlete? Here go watch this and see if you change your mind.
https://www.hudl.com/profile/6313407/Isaac-Dixon
(12-14-2021, 12:51 AM)pirateforlife Wrote:

Learn the definition of athlete…..what does Dixon do besides football. I’d wager good money that if we done a combine there’s multiple ATHLETES better than him. Jump, run, lift whatever it is. I like Dixon he’s a good kid that deserves all his accolades but I’m tired of hearing about it, he had 5 years and guess what JJ Jude still holds the state rushing record after only playing the normal 4 years. But Like I was saying Aidan Barnet is the best athlete in the 15th region he excels at anything he does and isn’t a one trick pony. I don’t fan boy and carry a round a line link in my back pocket but I’m sure his highlights can be easily found if you wanna check him out.
(12-14-2021, 01:08 AM)Gold River Wrote:

Learn the definition of athlete…..what does Dixon do besides football. I’d wager good money that if we done a combine there’s multiple ATHLETES better than him. Jump, run, lift whatever it is. I like Dixon he’s a good kid that deserves all his accolades but I’m tired of hearing about it, he had 5 years and guess what JJ Jude still holds the state rushing record after only playing the normal 4 years. But Like I was saying Aidan Barnet is the best athlete in the 15th region he excels at anything he does and isn’t a one trick pony. I don’t fan boy and carry a round a line link in my back pocket but I’m sure his highlights can be easily found if you wanna check him out.
Well Dixon did win the 100m in the region so there is something he does besides football. He also played basketball up until last year. You think if Dixon played for Magoffin and Barnett played for Belfry things would have went the same way?
(12-14-2021, 01:21 AM)pirateforlife Wrote:
(12-14-2021, 01:08 AM)Gold River Wrote:
(12-13-2021, 10:35 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote: C'mon on.  You need to take a few steps back.   You're acting like Magoffin is just a player or two away.   Magoffin needs someone who can build from the youth program up.  They have not been competitive for YEARS.   not gonna change overnight
Well Dixon did win the 100m in the region so there is something he does besides football. He also played basketball up until last year. You think if Dixon played for Magoffin and Barnett played for Belfry things would have went the same way?
Not what I said at all, Dixon has a trait that most everyone lacks. That’s Physicality. I was stating in my original post and I’ll stand by it Aidan Barnett is the best straight up just athlete in the 15th region. He actually is the reigning leading scorer in basketball in the region as a freshman. No but Barnett would start at Belfry and be a key player. If Dixon went to Magoffin he wouldn’t have done much more than Barnett though he takes a lot less beatings from his opponents running behind that line at belfry.
(12-13-2021, 05:24 PM)Redneck Wrote: They’ve narrowed the selection down to 6 applicants from the 15 they had apply. Names are being kept on the DL for whatever reason.

So politics can dictate the hire.
  •  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next