Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Retire Tubby's Jersey?
alfus21 Wrote:I'm sure you heard that. Just like everybody heard Billy Donovan was coming right? Tubby did the right thing in the Alums' mind by going to Minnesota. How could it "upset" them that bad just seeing a banner hanging there? So Scott Strickland's assistant has the final call on who has a banner and who doesn't? I figured it would be up to the A.D, School President, and the Athletics Board myself.
Scott Strickland is the President of the UK Hall of Fame and he makes the final call on who goes into the UK Hall of Fame. YOu must be a member of the Hall before you get your banner hung in Rupp. There are also some alums on the hall of Fame committee and one of those members is Dr Ira Potter and if he has his say so Tubby will never enter the hall period. I do look for him to get into the hall but he has to wait 5 years before being eligable. If the basketball team turns things around in those 5 years and gets back on top where they were before the Tubby era I wouldnt be surprised if he doesnt make the UK Hall of Fame. Also to comment on how the alums feel about Tubby, my grandpa is an alum and beena season ticket holder for over 30 years and by going to the games with him and listening to a lot of the old timers who are alums these guys are sick of Tubby and happy as hell he is gone. So yes it will upset a lot of the alums if his banner gets hung in Rupp. I know you are going to add your opinion and you think you are right about everything but this is what I know and have learned from talking to many people involved in UK sports.
Tubby Hater Wrote:Scott Strickland is the President of the UK Hall of Fame and he makes the final call on who goes into the UK Hall of Fame. YOu must be a member of the Hall before you get your banner hung in Rupp. There are also some alums on the hall of Fame committee and one of those members is Dr Ira Potter and if he has his say so Tubby will never enter the hall period. I do look for him to get into the hall but he has to wait 5 years before being eligable. If the basketball team turns things around in those 5 years and gets back on top where they were before the Tubby era I wouldnt be surprised if he doesnt make the UK Hall of Fame. Also to comment on how the alums feel about Tubby, my grandpa is an alum and beena season ticket holder for over 30 years and by going to the games with him and listening to a lot of the old timers who are alums these guys are sick of Tubby and happy as hell he is gone. So yes it will upset a lot of the alums if his banner gets hung in Rupp. I know you are going to add your opinion and you think you are right about everything but this is what I know and have learned from talking to many people involved in UK sports.

I know quite a few alums myself that hold tickets, and am about to become an old alum myself Smile and I haven't heard much of an outcry against it. Even on TCP everybody that hated Tubby that has any say admits he will and deserves a banner. Simple as that. Maybe you're right, maybe I'm right. I guess we'll see in the end. Not much to argue here any further.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
alfus21 Wrote:I know quite a few alums myself that hold tickets, and am about to become an old alum myself Smile and I haven't heard much of an outcry against it. Even on TCP everybody that hated Tubby that has any say admits he will and deserves a banner. Simple as that. Maybe you're right, maybe I'm right. I guess we'll see in the end. Not much to argue here any further.

How can you say he deserves it? Kentucky was a powerhouse, he won one championship, and that was with Rick's players, and then the team's gone downhill since then. No Final Fours, only two Sweet Sixteen, three Elite Eights. At Kentucky, everyone has come to expect success, and everyone deserves success- everyone deserves more than Tubby's poor coaching and poor recruiting.
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
BFritz Wrote:How can you say he deserves it? Kentucky was a powerhouse, he won one championship, and that was with Rick's players, and then the team's gone downhill since then. No Final Fours, only two Sweet Sixteen, three Elite Eights. At Kentucky, everyone has come to expect success, and everyone deserves success- everyone deserves more than Tubby's poor coaching and poor recruiting.

You just said why he deserved it. He won a national title. I guess you decided to take a break after you said a trained monkey could win with that team yet Rick Pitino didn't win it with them. Why do you "deserve" success? What did you ever do to the program that makes you so worthy and deserving of success? UK Basketball owes you nothing, nor did Tubby Smith. I guess 3 National Titles in the last 50 years will spoil fans though right?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
alfus21 Wrote:You just said why he deserved it. He won a national title. I guess you decided to take a break after you said a trained monkey could win with that team yet Rick Pitino didn't win it with them. Why do you "deserve" success? What did you ever do to the program that makes you so worthy and deserving of success? UK Basketball owes you nothing, nor did Tubby Smith. I guess 3 National Titles in the last 50 years will spoil fans though right?

Pitino coached a different team at a time of other teams were better. Maybe Tubby's team was more mature, or better with the recruits that Pitino brought in. Funny, they owe me nothing, but the reason that success is so sweet is because the public (I'm in there) buys UK's products and supports them, watches the games, etc. College basketball has become more about success for the public more than for the school. If we support UK as hard as we do, then they do owe us the best teams and coaches to get victories.
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
BFritz Wrote:Pitino coached a different team at a time of other teams were better. Maybe Tubby's team was more mature, or better with the recruits that Pitino brought in. Funny, they owe me nothing, but the reason that success is so sweet is because the public (I'm in there) buys UK's products and supports them, watches the games, etc. College basketball has become more about success for the public more than for the school. If we support UK as hard as we do, then they do owe us the best teams and coaches to get victories.

Your first statement doesn't make any sense at all, and your second statement is just fishing for an excuse as to why Tubby won with that team that had lost 3 of its top 4 scorers.

You along with any other Joe Fan may buy gear to a program that doesn't mean they owe you a Championship. It doesn't mean anything. Until you make a contribution that actually leads to UK's success then you are owed nothing in return. You have done nothing to promote or encourage success at the program therefore you are owned nothing in return except being able to watch the game of basketball. A coach that averaged 26 wins and 8 losses a season is not bad at any program including UK which is overhyped in many over the fans' minds. We are on the same tier as other programs including UCLA and UNC. UK is not above the game of college basketball and therefore the fans aren't either.

I can't argue any further about why I think Tubby's jersey will be retired because I've said it enough. Everything is beginning to be moot point now as the same things are being said over and over. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Alfus... 90,000 plus show up at Alabama's spring
game because they believe Saban can get them back
to national prominence/dominance after a few years
of not being there. Your point is that those 90,000
add nothing to the program? deserve nothing in return
for their passion for Alabama football? FACT: Tubby
either lost passion for recruiting or soured on it after
a few bad experiences...either way, he did not recruit
with the intensity and determination now required at
the elite program level.
thecavemaster Wrote:Alfus... 90,000 plus show up at Alabama's spring
game because they believe Saban can get them back
to national prominence/dominance after a few years
of not being there. Your point is that those 90,000
add nothing to the program? deserve nothing in return
for their passion for Alabama football? FACT: Tubby
either lost passion for recruiting or soured on it after
a few bad experiences...either way, he did not recruit
with the intensity and determination now required at
the elite program level.

They do deserve to be competitive but two bad seasons by Kentucky does not mean they weren't competitive in his tenure overall. The fans should be shown a good team but in no way do the fans deserve to be head and shoulders above the rest because of the name Kentucky on the jersey.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
alfus21 Wrote:They do deserve to be competitive but two bad seasons by Kentucky does not mean they weren't competitive in his tenure overall. The fans should be shown a good team but in no way do the fans deserve to be head and shoulders above the rest because of the name Kentucky on the jersey.

It is not a matter of "deserve"...it is
an expectation based upon tradition and
success. Elite program status means
consistently in the top ten, consistently
signing top ten recruits, (things that go
together obviously), consistently a serious
threat to make the Final Four, consistently
a top seed in the SEC tournament. The UK
program was trending away from these kinds
of consistencies. I don't see it as a matter
of entitlement or divine right of kings...it
is the expectation that consistent excellence
brings...and it is a good thing.
I have came to the conclusion that Alfus is actually Saul Smith, just go ahead and change your name to Saul so we can really give you hell about Tubby.

Fact is Tubby was highest paid coach in college basketball (highest salary) for the past 4 years and did nothing to deserve that, and last time I checked the seats at Rupp arent free and that money goes toward the salaries such as Tubby's. So as far as I am concerned, if I go to a game and buy seats and other souveneirs at the game, I am contributing to the program and by god I "DESERVE" a winner. It dont matter if I am a Florida, Tennessee, or LSU fan if I contribute and my money is going toward the athletic program then I "DESERVE" a winner.
Tubby Hater Wrote:I have came to the conclusion that Alfus is actually Saul Smith, just go ahead and change your name to Saul so we can really give you hell about Tubby.

Fact is Tubby was highest paid coach in college basketball (highest salary) for the past 4 years and did nothing to deserve that, and last time I checked the seats at Rupp arent free and that money goes toward the salaries such as Tubby's. So as far as I am concerned, if I go to a game and buy seats and other souveneirs at the game, I am contributing to the program and by god I "DESERVE" a winner. It dont matter if I am a Florida, Tennessee, or LSU fan if I contribute and my money is going toward the athletic program then I "DESERVE" a winner.

I didn't know a 26-8 average wasn't considered winning.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
alfus21 Wrote:I didn't know a 26-8 average wasn't considered winning.
We have had double digit losses past 2 seasons so I dont quite understand what you are saying.
thecavemaster Wrote:It is not a matter of "deserve"...it is
an expectation based upon tradition and
success. Elite program status means
consistently in the top ten, consistently
signing top ten recruits, (things that go
together obviously), consistently a serious
threat to make the Final Four, consistently
a top seed in the SEC tournament. The UK
program was trending away from these kinds
of consistencies. I don't see it as a matter
of entitlement or divine right of kings...it
is the expectation that consistent excellence
brings...and it is a good thing.

Exactly what I've been saying, we support them, spend money on them, make their program have multi-million dollar profits, so it's their job to provide us with what we expect based on the potential we know they have and the quality of the program we know UK's team has. It's not fair to give us a coach who brings a superior program down a few levels.
It should be. He was a good coach he just couldn't recruit. but im saying on down the road it will be.
SportsFan80, that's the last straw. You need to calm yourself down. Sometimes we all get wrapped up in the forums, but we all need to get away and cool our heads at times. I'll go ahead and help you work on that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
alfus21 Wrote:I didn't know a 26-8 average wasn't considered winning.

its all about the tourney there alfus, and tubby didnt win in march. plain and simple, bottom line, tubby didnt win in march. so see ya later buddy.
bizmark Wrote:its all about the tourney there alfus, and tubby didnt win in march. plain and simple, bottom line, tubby didnt win in march. so see ya later buddy.

Went 23-9 in the tournament. I think that's winning.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
An average of 26 wins and 8 losses is misleading. In his early years, his record was good, but lately 12 losses is not good. His recruiting was horrible, his offense was horrible. Any high school coach could run a better offense than one person dribbling and four watching. A good guy, you bet. A top tier coach? No way. His jersey should hang right there with Eddie Sutton's.
kentuckyfan1962 Wrote:An average of 26 wins and 8 losses is misleading. In his early years, his record was good, but lately 12 losses is not good. His recruiting was horrible, his offense was horrible. Any high school coach could run a better offense than one person dribbling and four watching. A good guy, you bet. A top tier coach? No way. His jersey should hang right there with Eddie Sutton's.
Point well taken welcome aboard good to see another member on here that understands the game of basketball
alfus21 Wrote:Went 23-9 in the tournament. I think that's winning.

not enough. we hadnt went to a final fout since 98. if im not mistaken thats kentuckys worst stretch ever. an how many elite eights have we been in since tubbys reign, i think 2.
bizmark Wrote:not enough. we hadnt went to a final fout since 98. if im not mistaken thats kentuckys worst stretch ever. an how many elite eights have we been in since tubbys reign, i think 2.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]