•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayfield 2010 vs. Pikeville 1987
Killer in the Sun Wrote:Keep your 2 cents Mr. Potato Head...You don't know just like everyone else.

87 Pikeville would pour the coal to the redbirds. Pikeville would win easily in a mismatch Confusednicker:
Opinions are like "pjdoug" everyone has one.
I think Pikeville was highly rated in one or several of those late 80's years, no idea if #1 in the state but I think I recall them being very very high. Of course so was the 10 Mayfield team, maybe #8th or #10. Really different era's and styles.
A better question might be how the 78 Mayfield team, which was voted team of the decade in the 70's, and 87 Pikeville would stack up since the play style was the same. I recall that Cards team being highly ranked state wide and the best Mayfield team if all time in my opinion.
mysonis55 Wrote:I guess we can all think that our best was better than anyone else's best. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but, an opinion does not make it fact.

That's your opinion. Confusednicker:
Everyone has one.
My opinion doesn't matter. :poker face:
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:I think Pikeville was highly rated in one or several of those late 80's years, no idea if #1 in the state but I think I recall them being very very high. Of course so was the 10 Mayfield team, maybe #8th or #10. Really different era's and styles.
A better question might be how the 78 Mayfield team, which was voted team of the decade in the 70's, and 87 Pikeville would stack up since the play style was the same. I recall that Cards team being highly ranked state wide and the best Mayfield team if all time in my opinion.

Ah Pikeville would have beat them too. Pikeville could have probably beat the 78 and 10 Mayfield team on the same day.
Westside Wrote:Ah Pikeville would have beat them too. Pikeville could have probably beat the 78 and 10 Mayfield team on the same day.

Honestly, I hate to say it and bust your bubble but that Mayfield team would have run away with the win. It would have been the Pike version of Custer's Last Stand. It just us what it is and Pike had a fine team back in the 80's but we are talking different league all together on this one. They were :1: and for good reason. Their signature win was over the East St. Louis Flyers, the #1 ranked team in the largest class. Truly in a different zip code from Pike
The 87 pikeville team shouldnt even be allowed to be mentioned in the same month as the 78 mayfield team. The cards could beat a team like cornbread batter. Heck it was so bad that you could take it out on your income taxes.
78 was the team of the decade. Ranked #1 in all classes. They still talk about that team here.
mysonis55 Wrote:78 was the team of the decade. Ranked #1 in all classes. They still talk about that team here.

Same thing in Pikeville. 87 team was the team of the decade for Panther fans.:1:
The 87 Pikeville team and the 10 Mayfield teams were both extraordinary teams. Both had great skill players all over the field, both were great on D, both dominated there classes on those given years, both scored about 50 points a game and both could beat you thru the air or beat you up on the ground. Saying one is clearly better than the other, simply doesn't give the other there just due. Would definitely be a great game to watch, but, as good & dominant as they both were, I doubt it would be a blowout either way.
Big Five-0- Wrote:Same thing in Pikeville. 87 team was the team of the decade for Panther fans.:1:

Not what he was talking about, the Courier Journal declared that 78 team the team of the decade. I have no idea how they reached that verdict. The coach was also named coach of the decade by them
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:Not what he was talking about, the Courier Journal declared that 78 team the team of the decade. I have no idea how they reached that verdict. The coach was also named coach of the decade by them

I dont think pikeville fans get that there is a difference in 1 school having there best team in a decade, as compared to the team of the decade for the entire state.
To bad y'all cant play in the State Championship this year. Confusednicker:
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:Not what he was talking about, the Courier Journal declared that 78 team the team of the decade. I have no idea how they reached that verdict. The coach was also named coach of the decade by them

Just making a point about both teams having something in common where fans of both teams can be proud of. I do know that sports editor Mike Fields of the Lexington Herald Leader had Pikeville at no.1 in all classes that year. Hc Hillard Howard was voted coach of the year at season's end. I was around at that time to watch every game and was, and still very proud of them.
Big five o you should be very proud of them they were a great team, i know it wasnt you that started this thread, but instead of someone being just proud of there team they decided to start a thread and stated right off the bat saying "how bad would pikeville have beat mayfield'' lousy way to represent your school and bash anothers.
64SUR Wrote:To bad y'all cant play in the State Championship this year. Confusednicker:

Confusednicker:
killbilly usmc Wrote:I dont think pikeville fans get that there is a difference in 1 school having there best team in a decade, as compared to the team of the decade for the entire state.

It's the opposite. You guys don't get it. No one at any time has said Mayfield had the best team in all classes any year, much less a decade. And it's their.
Whatever, this is crazy. There is absolutely impossible for any if us to know for sure which one of these teams were the best. They each were the best in their class that year, let it go at that and be proud.
killbilly usmc Wrote:The 87 pikeville team shouldnt even be allowed to be mentioned in the same month as the 78 mayfield team. The cards could beat a team like cornbread batter. Heck it was so bad that you could take it out on your income taxes.

Lol! I'm sure they would have.
jetpilot Wrote:It's the opposite. You guys don't get it. No one at any time has said Mayfield had the best team in all classes any year, much less a decade. And it's their.

Well I think I did post the page with the Lit Rankings from 1978 on them.

http://www.kyhssports.freewebspace.com/fb1978state.pdf

To be fair in research, here is the page with the '87 Lit rankings on them. Just scroll through it.

http://www.kyhssports.freewebspace.com/1987_state.pdf

:Thumbs:
Well pilot, hows that crow taste?
Oh My :dontthink

87 Mayfield was rated higher that year than 87 Pikeville

78 Mayfield was ranked #1 in state regardless of class

I think this tells us all what we need to know

1. 87 Mayfield would beat 87 Pikeville
2. 10 Mayfield would beat 87 Pikeville
3. 78 Mayfield would beat 87 Pikeville
I wish I could find a picture of a crow, big crow. I would send it to Jet Pilot and EKU. They could use it as their avatar.
Lets be fair about this, and give jetpilot a chance to show us a newspaper clipping to prove pikeville was nationally ranked.
Where or where could jetpilot be???? It seems he and and EKU have vanished. Is it something we said? Or is it the egg on his face that is preventing him from being able to see the screen well enough to type a response?
Where oh where could jet pilot be??? Defeather yourself, was the egg off your face, come out from under that rock and get on here and admit you were wrong.
Its been almost 2 days since Hatz bursted the east bubble. Still no resposes. No counters. No proof of the national ranking or higher lit rating. Where or where could they be?
mysonis55 Wrote:Where or where could jetpilot be???? It seems he and and EKU have vanished. Is it something we said? Or is it the egg on his face that is preventing him from being able to see the screen well enough to type a response?

I am just enjoying watching everyone get their jimmies rustled from a far HAHA Still here...just spectating and appreciating.
  •  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next