•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby valley new coach?
NoJoke Wrote:We all know its Frankie Smith, once his needs have been met, that is. Frankie is leaving Sheldon Clark because he can get more money here. What happens when he gets here and someone else offers him more money elsewhere. These suitcase coaches only take jobs where there is talent or they can put together talent so they can take credit for wins. Frankie will bring a player or two to an already talented valley team and probably win next season. A good year for valley fans. But what about the program in general. For that winning season he will get offers at the next school ready to upgrade and say goodbye. It really bothers me that with all of the basketball tradition we have here in the valley that first, we have to look outside of our community, second, we have to meet their demands, and lastly, we don't even consider people who would stay with our boys win or lose and regardless of compensation.

Greg Newsome literally dropped the ball on this past season. He can blame Doe Doe or the kids attitudes, but the bottom line he had talent. He just didn't know how to effectively use it, or motivate it. Anyone can win with these boys next year if they are willing to put in the work with them. And there is someone I know that is willing to do just that. He has had success at the middle school level and he done everything he could to keep them alive this season. Yeah maybe he did say somethings to some people but it was because he wanted these kids to win, not because he wanted to disloyal to coach Newsome.

So be careful parents because most of our team is made up of freshman and sophomores and three coaches and three years will destroy this program. And if you want to know if you want to find out if Frankie Smith who was only at Mingo for a day and SC for a season is a suitcase coach or not, see if he will sign a 3 year contract. If he does he has my blessing.

Here we go. Just like I predicted in an earlier thread. Doe Doe mad because he was told he can't get job and he ruined the season and made Coach Newsome retire earlier than he wanted. Now the bashing starts to come before anyone is even hired. If you want a head job, then apply and move to get one like most other coaches have to do. You are saying get someone that is local (Doe Doe) because out of towners can't be successful or will leave. Then the next sentence say local boy Greg Newsome was to blame for being unsuccessful. Quit bashing other coaches and go get your own job if anyone is willing to hire u.

Programs that want to be successful don't play politics and hire their buddies, the local boys. Programs that are successful go get the best coach available whether that be in the state or nation and they hire them!
HollaBack Wrote:Here we go. Just like I predicted in an earlier thread. Doe Doe mad because he was told he can't get job and he ruined the season and made Coach Newsome retire earlier than he wanted. Now the bashing starts to come before anyone is even hired. If you want a head job, then apply and move to get one like most other coaches have to do. You are saying get someone that is local (Doe Doe) because out of towners can't be successful or will leave. Then the next sentence say local boy Greg Newsome was to blame for being unsuccessful. Quit bashing other coaches and go get your own job if anyone is willing to hire u.

Programs that want to be successful don't play politics and hire their buddies, the local boys. Programs that are successful go get the best coach available whether that be in the state or nation and they hire them!

Only thing that worries me, say they due hire Coach Smith and after one year he leaves. We are back to the same position, no coach and great young talent. :thanks:
shelbyvalley02 Wrote:Only thing that worries me, say they due hire Coach Smith and after one year he leaves. We are back to the same position, no coach and great young talent. :thanks:

That is the way Ky is setup. One year contracts. What if you hire local boy and he continues to ruin program. Then he is fired and your right back in same scenario next year. This is why you go get the best available!
JUST HEARD FROM A GREAT SOURCE FRANKIE SMITH IS STAYING AT SHELDON CLARK......:Thumbs:
bball nut Wrote:JUST HEARD FROM A GREAT SOURCE FRANKIE SMITH IS STAYING AT SHELDON CLARK......:Thumbs:

Wow , I guess they didn't want to pay him 80,000 a year to just coach . lol . Now who is going to coach them
Coach Smith is not JUST A COACH, he teaches full time and is also taking classes to obtain his Masters Degree....besides that I am sure he would love to have a multiyear contract just like he did in his college career, unfortunately HS is year to year... SC didnt come thru with all their promises so why wouldnt he consider going elsewhere.....either way, KY is too much of a good ole boy system period, I could even see him leaving the state! He has a college degree, he doesn't HAVE to coach to make a living you know!
So the job will be Mark Hatchers?
The saga continues.:yawn:
Lord I hope not!! That's all we need is another old time religion basketball coach. We need to go young and play the updated version of basketball,not the slow down version.We've had that for the past few years under coach Newsome! The right coach will be picked, just a matter of time. Like I've always said , the boys on the ball team will be the first to know.
If Smith refuses to take the job then someone that hasn't been mentioned in this thread will get it....perhaps from Northern/Central KY
Disco Stu Wrote:If Smith refuses to take the job then someone that hasn't been mentioned in this thread will get it....perhaps from Northern/Central KY

That has been a rumor, somebody may want to comeback to East Ky
This is a make or break hire for the program. I hope whoever it is they will come in and work, not just during season but yr around. SV program is taking steps back and continues to do so.
hootie Wrote:This is a make or break hire for the program. I hope whoever it is they will come in and work, not just during season but yr around. SV program is taking steps back and continues to do so.

100% correct Hootie, These Boys need someone to lead them, they should already be working, and most High School teams are already playing. Time will tell, but the Shelby Valley program need someone who will standby these kids on and off the court
Can anyone tell me anything about Jim Hicks? Heard he is the leading coach.
hootie Wrote:This is a make or break hire for the program. I hope whoever it is they will come in and work, not just during season but yr around. SV program is taking steps back and continues to do so.

Explain. :biggrin:
That was not a shot at anyone that is there or has been there. The kids are not working like they should be and did in the past.
hootie Wrote:Can anyone tell me anything about Jim Hicks? Heard he is the leading coach.

Jim Hicks

Coach @ Grant Co
Record last year 24-6 lost 1st round 8th region tourney
11-12 15-16 record
10-11 9-20 record
Don’t know much about him though.
hootie Wrote:That was not a shot at anyone that is there or has been there. The kids are not working like they should be and did in the past.

Looked like a shot to me and probably many others. Either way, this is a lose-lose hire for Shelby Valley because all the Rowe sympathizers are going to be out in full force bashing whoever is hired.

I would venture to say that SV Basketball wasn't the only program there that took a big step back with a new hire. :Thumbs:
shelbyvalley02 Wrote:Jim Hicks

Coach @ Grant Co
Record last year 24-6 lost 1st round 8th region tourney
11-12 15-16 record
10-11 9-20 record
Don’t know much about him though.

assistant positions at Campbellsville University, Scott County High School, and head coach positions at Owsley, Greenup, and Bath Counties
Disco Stu Wrote:Looked like a shot to me and probably many others. Either way, this is a lose-lose hire for Shelby Valley because all the Rowe sympathizers are going to be out in full force bashing whoever is hired.

I would venture to say that SV Basketball wasn't the only program there that took a big step back with a new hire. :Thumbs:

Hootie is try to say that these kids should be working now regardless who is coaching . If you don't work in the gym you cant get better:rockon:
shelbyvalley02 Wrote:Hootie is try to say that these kids should be working now regardless who is coaching . If you don't work in the gym you cant get better:rockon:

Sounds like to me a lack of effort from the players. If that is the case it doesnt matter who comes in. Just like anything in life you get out of it what you put into it. If the kids are not willing to put forth the effort then it wouldnt matter if John Wooden was coaching.
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:Sounds like to me a lack of effort from the players. If that is the case it doesnt matter who comes in. Just like anything in life you get out of it what you put into it. If the kids are not willing to put forth the effort then it wouldnt matter if John Wooden was coaching.

Very true they must work together as a TEAM , Good things will happen if they due
What about Hatcher from Logan because I have heard his name mentioned
I also agree with you. They must work together as a team.Work together and good things will happen.That was to hard do last year,cause they never got to stay in the game long enough to do anything together.They never got to get into the flow of the game, they knew the first mistake they would make they were coming out.You can't play basketball like that.Coach Newsome had those boys scared to do anything.So,I do not blame the boys, I blame the coaches. Who ever the new coach is, these boys will do great playing for.It don't worry me at all, cause all of us that really,really know these boys., knows how hard they work.
Hearing from multiple sources that Jim Hicks is the leading candidate now. This keeps changing. Can someone tell us for sure please???
That's What She Said Wrote:Hearing from multiple sources that Jim Hicks is the leading candidate now. This keeps changing. Can someone tell us for sure please???

I guess they will keep on going down there list until they find someone. Might be someone Different next week. ........ and the Saga @ Shelby Valley continues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's about to go down!!!! Ahhhh I love it!!!
oliver67 Wrote:It's about to go down!!!! Ahhhh I love it!!!

So we finally have a answer ? hmmm
Thought coach Smith would take the job at Shelby valley.
basketball101 Wrote:Thought coach Smith would take the job at Shelby valley.

I think he was asking for to much, but who knowns ... Hicks is the front runner, but wasnt he fired from Greenup Co a few years ago.......
Everyone gets fired at Greenup!!!
  •  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next