Poll: Who wins
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Breathitt County
35.00%
Belfry
65.00%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breathitt Co @ Belfry 11/16/12
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Alright..I am sure I will run my mouth some more by the end of the week...but I do want to make my first points after a weekend of anticipation:

Much has been made of Breathitt's Strength of Schedule, and I want to expound on that a bit.

First and foremost, when people criticize Breathitt as having "played noone" or "not being tested like Belfry", I think there is a little bit of inaccuracy in this statement that needs to be addressed before I go deeper.

Breathitt has been challenged. In fact, Breathitt may very well be in the select company of teams who have not only played, but defeated, two teams who are favored to be playing at Bowling Green for their respective state titles (Somerset and Hazard), on top of that, both wins came on the road.

I feel confident saying Breathitt has 2 good wins all on the road. I think those 2 games alone are enough to quantify the Bobcats as being legit and worthy of being respected. Hell, Belfry only has a good win to speak of, and that was against a team who is sitting at home after getting shelled in Round 2...whereas their 2 losses came to teams who met similar fates.

My issue with the Breathitt schedule and where I think Belfry has a significant advantage is not about "who" but instead about "when". When Breathitt played Somerset the Bobcats were the consensus favorite based off the fact of returning talent, addition of pieces by transfers, and a general matchup edge against a Somerset offense that was struggling not to trip over itself. The Bobcats though had not played a team with a pulse to that point, and it seemed it took them a Half to acclimate to the speed of the game, higher skill level of their opponent, and the physicality of the game. By no means was Breathitt in awe..as they moved the ball well and came up with the stops when they needed them, but mental errors, turnovers, dropped passes, and missed tackles that were "out of character" reared their head and made the game much closer.

Belfry had similar "WTF" moments against Henry Clay, Ashland, and to a lesser extent Johnson Central. The key though is 2/3 of those three teams came at the back end of the schedule whereas Breathitt's heart of their schedule came in the middle of the season on 9-21. Their last 6 games have been against weak teams, whereas leading up to that Somerset game they had played 4 straight weak teams. Consequently, the two best teams Belfry has played came two and 5 months after Breathitt's game against Hazard.

Does this ensure Belfry is going to shock and awe a wide eyed Breathitt team? Not at all.Frankly speaking it may not mean anything at all.

What I can't help but come back to though was last year's game at Jackson, when an undefeated Breathitt tem playing essentially the exact same schedule, with essentially the exact same results, lost a game by what nearly every Breathitt fan chalks up to "their own doing". A Breathitt team who made uncharacteristic turnovers, missed defensive assignments, special teams gaffes, missed opportunities, and unseen fatigue at the end of the game. Even in this very thread Breathitt fans insist they were the better team, they just beat themselves. I think they may have a point to some extent, and I also think that thanks to their schedule over the last two months of the season they are prone to do it again as they have re-acclimate.

Great post, took the words right out of my mouth. About as accurate and unbiased post as it gets, kudos.
PaytoPlay Wrote:Some Belfry fans seem convinced Henry Clay was some great team.

Belfry better come to play on defense or Breathitt will have success in the passing game. Hopefully Belfry can stop the run well enough with the front 7 to keep both safeties deep. Definately need one deep safety. When Belfry put it's corners on an island against Ashland, it resulted in 2 bombs which connected. Two scores might win this game

I think if the current Breathitt played the current Henry Clay team the Bobcats would win somewhere in the realm of 54-38. HC would not be able to stop Breathitt offensively and the Blue Devils would put up huge offensive numbers on Breathitt due to their athleticism/play makers. Breathitt's defensive scheme would allow them to get a couple stops, but also make them prone to very large chunks at a time.
PaytoPlay Wrote:Some Belfry fans seem convinced Henry Clay was some great team.

Belfry better come to play on defense or Breathitt will have success in the passing game. Hopefully Belfry can stop the run well enough with the front 7 to keep both safeties deep. Definately need one deep safety. When Belfry put it's corners on an island against Ashland, it resulted in 2 bombs which connected. Two scores might win this game
Was coming to post the same thing lol.

Henry Clay may be athletic, but in relative terms of being a football team, they are not that great.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I think if the current Breathitt played the current Henry Clay team the Bobcats would win somewhere in the realm of 54-38. HC would not be able to stop Breathitt offensively and the Blue Devils would put up huge offensive numbers on Breathitt due to their athleticism/play makers. Breathitt's defensive scheme would allow them to get a couple stops, but also make them prone to very large chunks at a time.

.IMO Breathitt cannot beat Ashland nor JC....Belfry is 3 or 4 scores better than Somerset and Hazard.....If Belfry plays like they did against HC they lose....if they play like they have been then we win by 2 or 3 touchdowns.....i bet if we play HC right now the score is flip flopped....another piece missing from that game is #44 Madison Ghromley....the kid is a leader and a hell of a run stopper....
padd4pirate Wrote:Breathitt is NO Henry clay...not even close!!!

"Not even close" is an overstatement. I'm not sure you realize how bad Henry clay was this year. Outside of Belfry their victories came against opponents with a combined record of 14-44 including losses to a very bad Ryle team, and Dunbar team that hadn't won a city game since Bush was in office.

You guys (Belfry Fans) can stand on that Soapbox and preach about how great your team is, and how bad they are going beat everybody they face; but to be honest you've been proven beatable. Its up to someone to Breathitt or Bourbon/Mason to figure out what the formula is and execute, but please don't act like you're putting the The Crimson Tide on the field.
HSFOOTBALL Wrote:"Not even close" is an overstatement. I'm not sure you realize how bad Henry clay was this year. Outside of Belfry their victories came against opponents with a combined record of 14-44 including losses to a very bad Ryle team, and Dunbar team that hadn't won a city game since Bush was in office.

You guys (Belfry Fans) can stand on that Soapbox and preach about how great your team is, and how bad they are going beat everybody they face; but to be honest you've been proven beatable. Its up to someone to Breathitt or Bourbon/Mason to figure out what the formula is and execute, but please don't act like you're putting the The Crimson Tide on the field.

IMO, Breathitt and Bourbon either one could beat Belfry on any given night, and if it happened it wouldn't suprprise me. Bourbon is flying under the radar but after watching a couple of their games it is clear to me no team in Class 1A,2A, or 3A on the Eastern Semi-State has talent at the sill position like the Colonels. Bourbon certainly has their flaws, but that is a very, very dangerous team right there.

Mason County... is the odd man out in the East. I would be shocked if they stayed within 2 TD's of Bourbon.
Does anyone know if there is any chance that WYMT will stream this game? Also does Belfry have a radio stream online? I know WJSN in Jackson does not have a stream.

I couldn't agree with you more. Breathitt is on another level.
Cat Daddy Wrote:I couldn't agree with you more. Breathitt is on another level.

Breathitt is WAY better, however Henry Clay has a ton of athletes. That's the difference
pdunn92074 Wrote:Does anyone know if there is any chance that WYMT will stream this game? Also does Belfry have a radio stream online? I know WJSN in Jackson does not have a stream.

http://www.wdhr.com

Bobby Norman and long time Belfry DC Steve Mickey do a great job and at least make the effort to not sound like your typical homer radio crew. I think you will enjoy them.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:IMO, Breathitt and Bourbon either one could beat Belfry on any given night, and if it happened it wouldn't suprprise me. Bourbon is flying under the radar but after watching a couple of their games it is clear to me no team in Class 1A,2A, or 3A on the Eastern Semi-State has talent at the sill position like the Colonels. Bourbon certainly has their flaws, but that is a very, very dangerous team right there.

Mason County... is the odd man out in the East. I would be shocked if they stayed within 2 TD's of Bourbon.

A little off topic but Somerset and Bourbon county tied in their scrimmage at the beginning of the year. It was played as if it were a game. Which is before Somerset got their kinks worked out on offense. A little tad bit of info.
This game goes either way for me. The little things have plagued Breathitt all year, but have yet mattered due to the competition they have faced. Late hits, false starts and off sides have been the main ones. One huge thing that has bothered us all year is our special teams, we have been horrible on our kickoff coverage and on our extra points. Two very key things that can change the outcome of the game. We have been able to get away with these things in part, due to the level of competition we have played. A team can not make these types of mistakes and expect to win against Belfry. I'm still not sure as to who I will take in this game, but I will weigh in more on that throughout the week.
TheGuyYouLoveToHate Wrote:This game goes either way for me. The little things have plagued Breathitt all year, but have yet mattered due to the competition they have faced. Late hits, false starts and off sides have been the main ones. One huge thing that has bothered us all year is our special teams, we have been horrible on our kickoff coverage and on our extra points. Two very key things that can change the outcome of the game. We have been able to get away with these things in part, due to the level of competition we have played. A team can not make these types of mistakes and expect to win against Belfry. I'm still not sure as to who I will take in this game, but I will weigh in more on that throughout the week.

Ironically Belfry has had similar problems, but for the Pirates it has seemingly been more about consistency moreso then frequency.

Belfry is guaranteed to miss at least one XP per game it seems. FB Trinity Carr was the primary place kicker for Belfry, but following a crucial miss against Ashland his Freshman younger brother has taken the duties over and actually did quite well. He still hits his quota of a miss per game, but the majority of those have been the result of bad snaps or ball placement.

The Pirates have only allowed one Special Teams TD (Henry Clay), but their kickoff coverage has been feast or famine. The directional kicking and short kickoffs have at times resulted in a positive gain for Belfry, but they also have shown a tendency to give up those returns across midfield. Wellman has been a pleasant surprise at Punter and has improved, but he has had to punt maybe 10 times all year.

In the return game once again it is hot or cold. Belfry has returned a handful of punts as both Taylor and Robinson are very good in the open field and setting up blocks. Belfry has also muffed their fair share including a huge one against Ashland. They have also had a couple long returns brought back on penalties.

Belfry and penalties have been rough at times. Not so much the late hits and offsides, but they have absolutely shot themselves in the foot with costly false starts and holding calls throughout the season that have killed drives at crucial times, in particular against Ashland and Henry Clay.

My personal belief is the majority of those procedure penalties can be associated with Belfry's biggest obstacle this year, injuries. This will literally be the first time all season the Pirates have all hands on deck on both sides of the ball. Offensively the last two weeks were the first time all season Belfry had a healthy backfield, QB, and line at the same time. As a result, during the regular season timing was off resulting in pre-snap penalties or busted plays. I won't say this is all a bad thing, as it has allowed SOPH Keaton Taylor to become a bonafide threat at about 3 different positions and in a weird way those additional 3rd and 12's and 3rd and 7's have helped give Belfry more passing reps then usual.

I could see either team hurting themselves in Special Teams.
Losing Bloomberg hurts a lot. This takes away one of our two deep threats. I understand the suspension for fighting but when you see a teammate being assaulted with a helmet by three opposing players, as a player what are you supposed to do. Especially when the opposing coaching staff does nothing to stop their players who were involved. To me this gives John Paul and his coaching staff a black eye.
Pirate1991#8 Wrote:so your saying Trent is a better player than Fugate,Shouse, Cox, ETC.....

There will be a lot of talent on both teams but Trent in my opinion will be the most talented player on the field. Next year Warren will be the most talented player on the field but this year it's Trent.
Cat Daddy Wrote:Losing Bloomberg hurts a lot. This takes away one of our two deep threats. I understand the suspension for fighting but when you see a teammate being assaulted with a helmet by three opposing players, as a player what are you supposed to do. Especially when the opposing coaching staff does nothing to stop their players who were involved. To me this gives John Paul and his coaching staff a black eye.

What's the word on Cox? I hope everything was simply superficial bumps and bruises and he wasn't actually injured through the whole brawl.

I am correct in assuming this is the same Cox that played WR for Breathitt last year and not the kid who transferred from Powell County correct? If I recall he had an INT against Belfry and was their leading receiver that game. Smaller kid, but tough as nails.
Belfry wins 36 - 20. Best team Breathitt seen all year and over at Belfry, The breathitt fans better take a lot of rolaids. And it may not be this close.
Cat Daddy Wrote:Losing Bloomberg hurts a lot. This takes away one of our two deep threats. I understand the suspension for fighting but when you see a teammate being assaulted with a helmet by three opposing players, as a player what are you supposed to do. Especially when the opposing coaching staff does nothing to stop their players who were involved. To me this gives John Paul and his coaching staff a black eye.

So they have two black eyes....lol
Twitter: @tc_analytics

Are there any injuries on the Belfry side?
Twitter: @tc_analytics

As far as I know, only ILB Payton Mullins was injured this past Friday. It is my understanding he is expected back next week. #17 - a 4 year starter in the middle.
ballboy Wrote:Belfry wins 36 - 20. Best team Breathitt seen all year and over at Belfry, The breathitt fans better take a lot of rolaids. And it may not be this close.

Likewise Breathitt is the best team Belfry has seen this year.
Most likely this one is going to come down to what it usually
does with the 2, does Breathitt make mistakes and turn
the ball over. Breathitt takes care of the ball, belfry
just can't match them score for score. Bobcats make
to's, it lets Belfry work from ahead and kill clock.

Thank goodenss for that. and too bad for Belfry that they're not.
bhsuknow92 Wrote:trent trent trent hes a great quaarterback dont get me wrong but i think hes gunna be the second best qb playin at cam stadium friday night!

Only if someone brings in a ringer from somewhere, cause that QB ain't
on Belfry's roster. Not saying it will mean the game, or even come
down to being tested, but in the last 20+ years, I don't think
you point to a Belfry QB who could pass effectively when it
was necessary. Dang few could pass effectively at all. That's
not a criticism of the players, simply the result of how they
played within Haywood's system. It's difficult to do anything
when the money's on the line if you never do it when the
money's on the line.

Buffalo Bildos Wrote:A little off topic but Somerset and Bourbon county tied in their scrimmage at the beginning of the year. It was played as if it were a game. Which is before Somerset got their kinks worked out on offense. A little tad bit of info.

2 things ...

1. Bourbon put in an entirely new offense this year with a new head coach so I think maybe they had some kinks to work out as well.

2. Bourbon's varsity won the first 3 quarters 7-0, and Somerset's JV/Freshmen won the 4th 22-7
Observing Wrote:Only if someone brings in a ringer from somewhere, cause that QB ain't
money's on the line.

You're football IQ is lacking. We've had plenty that could flat out throw a football and only a couple that made you cringe when throwing. As a matter of fact, we've had more than a handful that could have put up big numbers in Breathitt's system.

Sani Warren
Tyler Williams
Andrew Elkins
Paul Howard
Casey LeQuire
Jonathan Wright
Observing Wrote:Only if someone brings in a ringer from somewhere, cause that QB ain't
money's on the line.

I am not saying Warren flings it around like Kyle Moore or for that matter Richard Trent...but I have a feeling you are about to be surprised when you see this kid play. I try to check my bias at the door as much as possible, but if you put Warren into a pass oriented offense he is putting up huge numbers. He was the MVP of the WKU QB Camp this Summer and brings a skill set to the option QB position Belfry hasn't had in a long time.

Ultimately I hope Belfry never has to put it up a single time.... but I think I speak on behalf of Belfry fans every where when I say that Warren has the utmost of our confidence in throwing the football.
The greatest thing about this entire post is that Belfry fans think WHEN they beat Breathitt, they just Waltz right into Bowling Green.
I agree with EKU. I haven't seen any Mountain teams outside of Bell Co. Play this year, but if Henry Clay (who I have watched) and their athleticism gave Belfry that much trouble, Bourbon County (who is much more athletic IMO) will give them fits.
HSFOOTBALL Wrote:The greatest thing about this entire post is that Belfry fans think WHEN they beat Breathitt, they just Waltz right into Bowling Green.
I agree with EKU. I haven't seen any Mountain teams outside of Bell Co. Play this year, but if Henry Clay (who I have watched) and their athleticism gave Belfry that much trouble, Bourbon County (who is much more athletic IMO) will give them fits.

Bourbon County has one bonafide athlete. Henry Clay had at least 4 guys who can outrun everyone on Breathitt's and Belfry's team.
HSFOOTBALL Wrote:The greatest thing about this entire post is that Belfry fans think WHEN they beat Breathitt, they just Waltz right into Bowling Green.

I will warn you before making a broad assumption this Belfry team appears to be a far cry from the one who couldn't make a tackle to save their life in Week 2.. and from what I have seen from Bourbon I wouldn't go as far as to say "much more athletic" at all. In fact I think Bell is better than Hopkins and Jackson is better than the Johnson kid.

With that said, Bourbon has a significantly better QB (their QB is very underrated IMO) and the Hilander kid is a helluva football player and better than any WR on HC's roster. Their line isn't enough to brag about, but I think they are a better unit than HC. Their offense plays with a lot more cohesion as well. Bourbon's defense is not on the same level or as impressive as some of the 3A teams left, but they are serviceable and certainly better than Henry Clay.

I know one thing, if Bourbon wins as expected..either of these teams better get their head on straight in a hurry. Judging off what I have seen I think all in all Breathitt or Belfry should have the edge over Bourbon with all things considered equal (especially at the LOS), but Bourbon is the type of team that if you let down your guard you look up and you are trailing by 3 TD's and don't even know how it happened. An emotional hangover from this game or a false sense of confidence and I will assure you Bourbon will make a statement.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I will warn you before making a broad assumption this Belfry team appears to be a far cry from the one who couldn't make a tackle to save their life in Week 2.. and from what I have seen from Bourbon I wouldn't go as far as to say "much more athletic" at all. In fact I think Bell is better than Hopkins and Jackson is better than the Johnson kid.

With that said, Bourbon has a significantly better QB (their QB is very underrated IMO) and the Hilander kid is a helluva football player and better than any WR on HC's roster. Their line isn't enough to brag about, but I think they are a better unit than HC. Their offense plays with a lot more cohesion as well. Bourbon's defense is not on the same level or as impressive as some of the 3A teams left, but they are serviceable and certainly better than Henry Clay.

I know one thing, if Bourbon wins as expected..either of these teams better get their head on straight in a hurry. Judging off what I have seen I think all in all Breathitt or Belfry should have the edge over Bourbon with all things considered equal (especially at the LOS), but Bourbon is the type of team that if you let down your guard you look up and you are trailing by 3 TD's and don't even know how it happened. An emotional hangover from this game or a false sense of confidence and I will assure you Bourbon will make a statement.

That's laughable.

The rest I totally agree with, but if you think Elijah Bell is better than Kentayvus Hopkins, you haven't seen enough film.

Davion Jackson is a running back for Henry Clay, Snoop Johnson is a wide receiver at Bourbon County, the only way you can compare the 2 is athletically and IMO Johnson is heads and shoulders more athletic.

I'm not making assumptions, I would agree that the winner of Belfry/Breathitt should be favored in the the semi's no matter who they play, but to think this is the only game that matters is a mistake.
  •  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next