Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Hazard Bulldogs
49.18%
Mayfield Cardinals
50.82%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hazard vs. Mayfield (1A State Finals)
Mayfield showed up big against Beechwood.
but I can't root against the dawgs in this one Wink

Hazard 31
Mayfield 30
Would love to see Hazard spring the upset, but don't see it happening. The two best 1A teams easily, it's just I think Mayfield may be the best team from Class 3A down.

Fun game to watch.

Mayfield 40
Hazard 28
Proud Ram Fan 1168 Wrote:Was all of Hazard's points hard fought? Or was any points given to them!!
I don't think you give points either way. Defense causes offenses to make mistakes. And offense's make the defense make mistakes. But I don't think anything was given to anyone!! If it was a fumble or an int on the 20 or 30 yardline. It was most likely the defense confusing the offense. Or a hit that caused something to happen. Something of that nature. Doubt the QB looked at the defense and said here see if you can catch this one!!

I agree with you 100%. LCA's defense was responsible for those points, by being physical and well coached. All I'm saying is that I don't think LCA would have scored those 16 points on Hazard's defense.
KentuckyFan35 Wrote:I agree with you 100%. LCA's defense was responsible for those points, by being physical and well coached. All I'm saying is that I don't think LCA would have scored those 16 points on Hazard's defense.

LCA i believe had 2 turnovers in the game and hazard only capitilized with 3 points off one of them.
bac2369 Wrote:Hazards offense really wasnt stopped much in the game as they had over 450 yards of offense. Hazard give up big plays basically from what i can remember on special teams and corbin had pretty fair night at the passing game. I think corbin had like 250 yards of offense and corbin took advantage of the short field situations. I think a fumble and a interception also happened and poor officating as well. But Corbin was better than there thumping that NCC give them. NCC is one of those teams that will capitlize on your turnovers.

I hate to get off subject but i want to add that the Hazard and LCA game was probably the best officated game ive seen all year. The reason i brought that up was because i said the officating was poor in the corbin game.
Hazard had 9 penalties to two for LCA in the first half and only one in the second half.Side offical on LCA side threw 6 of those.
Mayfield by 3 td's
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:Two great qb's, who has the edge here?

I would think that Mr G. the QB for Mayfield would and will have the better game because imo he has better players around him!!

That doesn't mean Mayfield will win the game though!:eyeroll:
Go bulldogs !!!
Proud Ram Fan 1168 Wrote:I would think that Mr G. the QB for Mayfield would and will have the better game because imo he has better players around him!!

That doesn't mean Mayfield will win the game though!:eyeroll:
What players are better?
Mayfield by 1 TD
mayfield
jackbenimble Wrote:Hazard had 9 penalties to two for LCA in the first half and only one in the second half.Side offical on LCA side threw 6 of those.

Does it make you feel better, that in the second half when LCA iced the game with a QB sneak that gained 6 yards and a first down with 3 minutes to go, that the ref on Hazard's sideline threw a flag after the play and called a false start and said the play never happened? The ball was on the hash closet to LCA sideline and he called false start on that side of line from all the way across the field. Refs make calls in the game, some good, some bad. They boys played hard for both teams. LCA was a better than the Hazard faithful thought they would be. Lets not use refs as an excuse either way.
jackbenimble Wrote:What players are better?

To tell you the truth jackbenimble I'm like 99.9% of the other posters on here. We only know what we hear on here from you and others. And other sites. You have two teams that are 350+ miles from each other. You can't compare anything. You can't compare speed, strength or anything. Neither team I doubt played the same team this year. So who knows. Maybe it's that the Mayfield posters have made a bigger and more convincing case. Maybe it's because they were #1 all year. I don't know how everyone is taking Mayfield in this one. Me included!
But if you think about it a little. Hazard took LCA to the limit last year. And Mayfield got beat by about 55-0. Somewhere around that score. Now you have Hazard squeezing out a victory over LCA. So what is going to happen in the championship game? Have the teams changed that much from last year? If not Mayfield could be in for a fight like they haven't had in long time. I hope this is a fight for life type game. And that every snap means the game could be lost on that one snap. I want this to be the best game in decades. And I want Hazard to win. EAST wins again!!

At the end of the day all of us from both ends of the state know nothing about this up coming game. It's all boasting!! You hear some say they watched films so they know they can win. The only thing you learn is style, plays, size. We'll know by 12:30pm friday who is the champs.
I will admit this much, I know very little about the Hazard Bulldogs
Proud Ram Fan 1168 Wrote:To tell you the truth jackbenimble I'm like 99.9% of the other posters on here. We only know what we hear on here from you and others. And other sites. You have two teams that are 350+ miles from each other. You can't compare anything. You can't compare speed, strength or anything. Neither team I doubt played the same team this year. So who knows. Maybe it's that the Mayfield posters have made a bigger and more convincing case. Maybe it's because they were #1 all year. I don't know how everyone is taking Mayfield in this one. Me included!
But if you think about it a little. Hazard took LCA to the limit last year. And Mayfield got beat by about 55-0. Somewhere around that score. Now you have Hazard squeezing out a victory over LCA. So what is going to happen in the championship game? Have the teams changed that much from last year? If not Mayfield could be in for a fight like they haven't had in long time. I hope this is a fight for life type game. And that every snap means the game could be lost on that one snap. I want this to be the best game in decades. And I want Hazard to win. EAST wins again!!

At the end of the day all of us from both ends of the state know nothing about this up coming game. It's all boasting!! You hear some say they watched films so they know they can win. The only thing you learn is style, plays, size. We'll know by 12:30pm friday who is the champs.

Good post.
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:I will admit this much, I know very little about the Hazard Bulldogs

I agree i dont know nothing about mayfield except they have speed and it took them 9 weeks to get a player eligible that could be the difference in the out come of this game.
Mayfield fans i know you have wanted to see some video no hazard but i dont believe its going to be possible but look at the 2010 Belfry and Hazard video. You can possibly get an idea of what kind of players hazard has.
Wideleft01 Wrote:Mayfield by at least 5 touchdowns.

No way. Wide left your are in left field lol.
I have seen some highlights of Hazard, thats' all I have seen at this point. To me they look like a sound team, right there with Beechwood. Yes, the cat is out of the bag, we have a kid on the team that has just become eligible, but it wasn't his fault, he has been with Mayfield all year, started school here as a senior. It was his school that gave him such a hard time trying to get his transfers done.

All I know about Hazard is that they have Olinger, The QB Combs and the Blanton (sp?) kid and the other Combs that is the main back, who are the other playmakers on the team? I can name you several on Mayfield's team who have made big plays this year and every one of em are dangerous. If you want me to I can tell you who they are or you can just look at our roster on the khsaa site.
One of the bigger differences in Mayfield this year is the defense, we have played a good passing team in Ballard Memorial, the biggest problem with those guys is that is all they had, was a good passing team, no running game at all and their defense was poor at best. From what I have heard, Hazard has a good ground game and that is what could make a difference in this game. According to the KHSAA site, Hazard had 238 rushing yards and 225 passing yards Friday night, so very balanced from what I am seeing.
QB Jon Combs Senior - Quick and has a very good arm.
HB Zach Blanton Junior - Fast and has a chance to score everytime he touches it
FB Corey Slone Senior - Hard nose runner and tough to bring down
WR Jordan Olinger Soph- Big tall athletic, Good Blocker down field and makes big plays
WR BJ Combs Junior - Hes your guy who makes the tough grabs and is usually there when you need him
WR Austin Johnson Soph- Fast and hard nosed and you best keep ur hands on him or hes gone. He may be the fastest guy on the team. Hazard has brought 4 back on the year and also scored on a 99 yard fumble by oden.

Plz Fill me in on the Mayfield side. Im sure i know the names but interested in hearing.

Those are usually the starters, Hazard has 2 or 3 more guys that you make see and one who didnt play last week during the LCA game and he and austin may be neck and neck for the fastest on the team. James Oden is his name and hes a senior and he mainly plays defense. Another Is Eric Back who is very under rated and can catch the ball with the best of um. He has 4 picks on the year and 1 which was brought back for a touch down.
Hazard 42-38
Ok, here is the run down:

QB Luke Guhy Senior - Pretty much sounds like a mirror of your QB.
HB Shain Ross Junior - Very tough runner and very hard to bring down
RB Jonathan Jackson - Same as Shain except tougher, lol
RB Decole Noonan - Comes in when Jackson is tired, lol, very fast and tough to bring down
WR Devin Jones - Very fast and makes the big plays
WR William Higginson - Fast like Jones except he has a great eye for the field
WR Javarious Richardson - Fastest kid on the team and one of the biggest
WR Kenny Payton - Very fast and hard to tackle

These are the typical starters, we have others that are young but very good athletes. The linebacker corps is anchored by Jonathan Jackson and Shain Ross and Deondre Jackson and I feel its one of the best in 1A if not the best, very tough.
gobigredMHS Wrote:Ok, here is the run down:

QB Luke Guhy Senior - Pretty much sounds like a mirror of your QB.
HB Shain Ross Junior - Very tough runner and very hard to bring down
RB Jonathan Jackson - Same as Shain except tougher, lol
RB Decole Noonan - Comes in when Jackson is tired, lol, very fast and tough to bring down
WR Devin Jones - Very fast and makes the big plays
WR William Higginson - Fast like Jones except he has a great eye for the field
WR Javarious Richardson - Fastest kid on the team and one of the biggest
WR Kenny Payton - Very fast and hard to tackle

These are the typical starters, we have others that are young but very good athletes. The linebacker corps is anchored by Jonathan Jackson and Shain Ross and Deondre Jackson and I feel its one of the best in 1A if not the best, very tough.

Nice run down. Whats the kids name from Arkansas?
bac2369 Wrote:Nice run down. Whats the kids name from Arkansas?

That's Kenny Payton, the last one I mentioned. Sounds like you guys have scouted us pretty good, Wink
gobigredMHS Wrote:That's Kenny Payton, the last one I mentioned. Sounds like you guys have scouted us pretty good, Wink

I have. I dont know about the team. I really have nothing to do with it, Just a fan who had blood play there and just a little ticked off at last year because my own blood didnt finish out his career. He would of made a lot of difference for hazard last year if he played offensive wise and defensive wise. I also have another cousin who should of played this year but hes just plain sorry and wont play. I have been trying to get a feel of what you return next year so see if your going to be as good but in my opinion your losing quite a bit. It looks like the QB will be the issue for you all next year along with Hazards issue.
bac2369 Wrote:I have. I dont know about the team. I really have nothing to do with it, Just a fan who had blood play there and just a little ticked off at last year because my own blood didnt finish out his career. He would of made a lot of difference for hazard last year if he played offensive wise and defensive wise. I also have another cousin who should of played this year but hes just plain sorry and wont play. I have been trying to get a feel of what you return next year so see if your going to be as good but in my opinion your losing quite a bit. It looks like the QB will be the issue for you all next year along with Hazards issue.

Yeah, it remains to be seen at this point, I didn't watch any of the JV play this year but they are saying that Luke's brother is looking really good and he is further along than Luke was at this point in his freshman career. We have talk of a younger kid that will be a freshman next year that could be better, either way, both QB's will be young and I don't expect a ton from em but I could be wrong. It won't take much of a QB with the talent we will return next year to still be a good team, but I don't think we will be as good as this years team for 1 or 2 more years.
gobigredMHS Wrote:Yeah, it remains to be seen at this point, I didn't watch any of the JV play this year but they are saying that Luke's brother is looking really good and he is further along than Luke was at this point in his freshman career. We have talk of a younger kid that will be a freshman next year that could be better, either way, both QB's will be young and I don't expect a ton from em but I could be wrong. It won't take much of a QB with the talent we will return next year to still be a good team, but I don't think we will be as good as this years team for 1 or 2 more years.

I noticed the Guhy last name as a freshmen and saw he was a qb. So i actually put 2 and 2 together there.. I noticed that Jackson and Higginson adn Ross would return for next year. How many lineman will you lose?
bac2369 Wrote:I noticed the Guhy last name as a freshmen and saw he was a qb. So i actually put 2 and 2 together there.. I noticed that Jackson and Higginson adn Ross would return for next year. How many lineman will you lose?

Yeah, that is the biggest thing we are losing and the biggest concern next year, we have some kids coming up but they will all be young, but our line is very senior-laden and it will be the toughest loss next year.
I gotta hand it to you Hazard guys, you seem like a very classy bunch, at least from this website. We have had some rough run-ins from the Beechwood folks, especially on the BGP's site, I had to quit being a member there cause I just simply got tired of it.