•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Whitaker out at Powell Co.
Any names?
P.C.Defense Wrote:I want what's best for the program. Mike Whitaker was a "lottery" pick coach for Powell county. Hard to replace a Mike Whitaker and what he brought to the table. I've heard Mike Jones name mentioned for the job. He's a very good coach as well and did a tremendous job at Estill. He would be a GREAT hire.
I've heard Brandon Brewer's name mentioned. Brandon is a very good coach.
I've ran up many 300$ phone bills talking football with Brandon. The guy was an all-american in college. He was probably the best football player to ever come out of Powell county. Brandon DOES know the game very well and would be a good hire. Coach Puckett wants the job and after working with the guy for 2 years I will say I support him. You gotta be loyal to the guys you work with.

NOT TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:dontthink
KYcoalminer Wrote:Did he play for a state title? Or did he coach for a state title? Was he a head coach or assistant? If he was an assistant,then that really doesnt mean anything.

He was the head coach of a state finalist football team last season. A couple of years ago he coached a team that holds a state record. I'll know more tomorrow but as of now out of respect for him, no names.
:popcorn:
Trenches07 Wrote:NOT TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:dontthink

He was all-mid south conference, that was my mistake.:Thumbs:
I know Brandon Brewer well and he is one of the best football coaches I know at teaching fundamental techniques. As a matter of fact I even got a drill from Brandon that I used daily.
P.C.Defense Wrote:I've worked with Tyler the past couple of years and I have to put in a good word for the guy. I'm loyal to the people I work with and will try to help them out if I can at all.:Thumbs:

It's one thing to be "loyal" to your friends, but the main idea here is to hire someone who is qualified and capable of coaching a winning team. I don't think Puckett is at that level yet (no disrespect toward him at all) and loyalty doesn't count here.
I worked with Tyler and I'm going to put in a good word for the guy. He worked hard and did a good job. So many want to always look for the negatives. I want what's best for the players and program. Tyler is part of the program and I only have positive things to say about him.
OldHasBeenOfEstill Wrote:It's one thing to be "loyal" to your friends, but the main idea here is to hire someone who is qualified and capable of coaching a winning team. I don't think Puckett is at that level yet (no disrespect toward him at all) and loyalty doesn't count here.

If you are a coach and on a coaching staff if your not loyal to the team and the coaches you work for and work with then you don't need to coach. There's alot of names floating around that would be Great hires and I have said that.
I worked with Tyler, he worked hard and I'm gonna say something positive about the guy.
P.C.Defense Wrote:If you are a coach and on a coaching staff if your not loyal to the team and the coaches you work for and work with then you don't need to coach. There's alot of names floating around that would be Great hires and I have said that.
I worked with Tyler, he worked hard and I'm gonna say something positive about the guy.
I just hope whoever gets the job, still lets me carry the water bottles and throw the footballs back to the refs...lol
TongueirateSho
What kind of offense does the coach run? I dont think many players would want much change. I know for i fact that i love Whitakers offenese. It was the best there is, a great mixture and hard to defend.

Whitaker is a great man and a great coach. The Letcher county boys will have alot of fun and win a lot of game under him. It will be a hard hit on Powell but we can pull through it and win at least 5 or 6 games next year.
The best line coach you could get lives in Powell county and dont even coach. He would really help out your o and d lines alot. The new coach needs to get him on board he is the best line coach they could get and he lives right here in the county and that is Joe Rose.
PC#18 Wrote:What kind of offense does the coach run? I dont think many players would want much change. I know for i fact that i love Whitakers offenese. It was the best there is, a great mixture and hard to defend.

Whitaker is a great man and a great coach. The Letcher county boys will have alot of fun and win a lot of game under him. It will be a hard hit on Powell but we can pull through it and win at least 5 or 6 games next year.

IF and I do say IF they hire who I suspect, You will not have to worry about catching the ball because you will not be passing. " IF "
:flush:
:lmao: :moon:
MR.PERFECT Wrote:The best line coach you could get lives in Powell county and dont even coach. He would really help out your o and d lines alot. The new coach needs to get him on board he is the best line coach they could get and he lives right here in the county and that is Joe Rose.
blitz43 Wrote:I just hope whoever gets the job, still lets me carry the water bottles and throw the footballs back to the refs...lol
TongueirateSho

Good managers are hard to come by Blitz. I'm sure you will be safe. :biggrin:
The new coach may bring in an entire NEW staff. I'm sure that will be his decision. Could be alot of new faces on the Powell side lines this season.
MR.PERFECT Wrote:The best line coach you could get lives in Powell county and dont even coach. He would really help out your o and d lines alot. The new coach needs to get him on board he is the best line coach they could get and he lives right here in the county and that is Joe Rose.

You wouldnt give youself any praise would you. If your not braggin on your son its yourself.:lmao: . Im sorry maybe i should do this:worthy:
F.N.L. Wrote:The new coach may bring in an entire NEW staff. I'm sure that will be his decision. Could be alot of new faces on the Powell side lines this season.
This is true. Whatever is best for Powell Co. Football. If so, I sure enjoyed it!
We will just have to sit back and wait....:popcorn:
F.N.L. Wrote:The new coach may bring in an entire NEW staff. I'm sure that will be his decision. Could be alot of new faces on the Powell side lines this season.

This is tue. If the coach I spoke of that played for a state title last year does by chance take the job, I am safe and I worked for him before. I'm not going to count any chickens before they hatch and that may not happen. I'd say if Mike Jones does apply and gets it he probably has his staff already in mind. He's a good coach and did a heck of a job at Estill. Your right , We may all be history(lol).:yikes:
I'd say you are H-I-S-T-O-R-Y for sure blitz43(lol) (kiddin)
P.C.Defense Wrote:I'd say you are H-I-S-T-O-R-Y for sure blitz43(lol) (kiddin)
That was pretty good P.C. Defense. I am not even sure I could have spelled "History" without looking at your post...LOL:lmao:
In all seriousness, if he wants me, I will stay but if he has better coaches, I will step down with pride, knowing I was apart of Powell Co. history.TongueirateSho
I sure hate to see coach Whitaker go because he sure had us going in the right direction. Hope we make a good decision and get the right coach that will continue what Whitaker started, our kids sure deserve it.
Rumor has it Preston is interested in the Powell job and has contacted them.
F.N.L. Wrote:Rumor has it Preston is interested in the Powell job and has contacted them.

From who I have talked to, there have been about 5, possibly 6 that are in contention. With the people they have talked to, we have a great shot at some really good coaches. I just wish we didn't have to wait aprox. 26 more days. I think it has to be posted for 30 days. Monday was day # 1.
TongueirateSho
blitz43 Wrote:From who I have talked to, there have been about 5, possibly 6 that are in contention. With the people they have talked to, we have a great shot at some really good coaches. I just wish we didn't have to wait aprox. 26 more days. I think it has to be posted for 30 days. Monday was day # 1.
TongueirateSho
Yeah but out of the 6 only 2 of them have been head coaches and have experience at running a football team. Jones or Peterson from Bullitt and it needs to be 1 of them to keep things headed in the right direction.
This is to the hiring board. Do not set the team back by hiring some head coach that has no experience or has not ran an o or d before. Be fair to the kids and I know 1 of these guys mentioned they cant stand. Just be fair to the kids.
All i know is that when whitaker was the coach about 30 players weight lifted everyday. Now there is an estimated 5-10 that go everyday now. Its quite possible that Ryan Frailey and John Flinchim arn't playing this year!
According to the KDE website, a coaching position doesnt have to be posted 30 days......Only a teaching position. Which means you could hire a coach in 1 day.....and then give him the teaching position when the posting requirement is up. There are also ways to get around it. Super can request a waiver for posting the teaching position for 30 days.
theonetheonly10 Wrote:All i know is that when whitaker was the coach about 30 players weight lifted everyday. Now there is an estimated 5-10 that go everyday now. Its quite possible that Ryan Frailey and John Flinchim arn't playing this year!

They need to play. :Thumbs:
It's all so sad. I hate to see Coach Whitaker leave, but it seems like people are forgetting the fact that Powell Co. is also losing a great Assistant Principal with Mrs. Whitaker. I think she has done a great job with the kids, too. I wish them all the best (and hope they change their minds Wink. :please:
I heard form a reliable source that Whitaker himself was pretty much in charge of finding a replacement. Can anyone else confirm or deny this? If it is true, that really shows how much the administration in Powell County is interested in football.
  •  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next