Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breathitt Co. 14 - Belfry 12
Congrats Breathitt and congrats Belfry on a great season.
smitty Wrote:wow, ridiculous. Shall i remind you that Coach Haywood has brought 2 state championships to Belfry High School (2003,2004), 3 state runner-up (1985, 1986, 2007), the the 2nd most winningest coach in Kentucky High School Football History with 306+ wins, and has led Belfry High School to the winningest program in 3A football.

Besides all of these incredible accolades, Coach Haywood continues to represent Belfry with the utmost of class, an accolade that is far superior than any stats. The bottom line is, he is the reason Belfry Football is what it is today. Coach Haywood is one of the greatest high school football coaches in history!

Your ridiculous comment has no basis or merit. Be thankful for Coach Haywood, he is a far better coach and man than you sir. As a former Pirate Football player I, for one, pray that Coach Haywood continues to coach the juggernaut that is Belfry Football for many more years to come:
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Marvelous Post!

I had posted in another thread about who I thought would win this one... Boy was I wrong!
I admire both coaches and programs.
Congratulations on a Big Time Victory & Good Luck to Breathitt in Louisville.
Congratulations to Belfry on a great season!
Coach Haywood has 319 wins and 111 losses. (In reference to the post about 306+ wins) Just thought he would like to know!

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
Cogratz Breathitt...WOW! I can't believe I just said that...LOL...I will admit, I was wrong. I thought Belfry would take it to Breathitt. They sounded like they came ready to play.

"Channing Fugate should get MR. Football"

What do you think his chances are?

Do they give it to non-Sr's?
Congrats Breathitt!!
Also would like to congratulate Belfry on the season they had.
Both teams has given their schools, parents, coaches and fan base a great season of football to enjoy and to be proud of. There was no losers in this game. Good luck to all the seniors, hope you are as successful in life as you have been in football. Thank you!!!
Congratulationhs Breathitt on another big win! Best of luck to you in the championship...lets bring home two big victories to the mountains!

Go Bobcats!!!
Go Bulldogs!!!
It seemed like Belfry had the ball most of the game....What was the T.O.P in this game? Breathitt really stepped up on defense and controlled the line...
Twitter: @tc_analytics

TheBrahmaBull Wrote:It seemed like Belfry had the ball most of the game....What was the T.O.P in this game? Breathitt really stepped up on defense and controlled the line...

Belfry won every stat line except for the three which mattered most tonight...
Penalties
Turnovers
and above all else... points.

I would guess T.O.P. was 2 to 1 in favor of Belfry.
Coach Haywood should NOT retire because of this. It was ONE loss - it happens. We, as Belfry fans, just have a hard time accepting it because, face it, it doesn't happen very often. Coach Haywood is an awesome coach and making negative remarks about him only makes you look like a sore loser. Be proud of Breathitt...they played a great game. Belfry just couldn't get it together but these boys have had a great season and, even though this hurts right now, they will be ok and get right back into it for another great season next year...that's what they do.

Congrats Breathitt. You were my second choice to win at state. ha. Good luck. Go down there and show them how tough mountain boys are and bring the title back! :Cheerlead
BatCat11 Wrote:How many yards did the Fugate kid have in the second half and for the entire game I know at half time he had like 190 some of something like that.

Like 25.

We contained him in the second half, the problem is that they contained US as well :/
These kind of things happen in football. The underdog wins. Belfry is a great football team. Breathitt was just better last night. It happens. Those that have thrown darts at the Belfry Coach really need to look at their self first. Coach Haywood is a great Coach.

Congratulations to Belfry on a great season.

Congratulations to Breathitt. Now make us all proud.
TeamMom Wrote:Coach Haywood should NOT retire because of this. It was ONE loss - it happens. We, as Belfry fans, just have a hard time accepting it because, face it, it doesn't happen very often. Coach Haywood is an awesome coach and making negative remarks about him only makes you look like a sore loser. Be proud of Breathitt...they played a great game. Belfry just couldn't get it together but these boys have had a great season and, even though this hurts right now, they will be ok and get right back into it for another great season next year...that's what they do.

Congrats Breathitt. You were my second choice to win at state. ha. Good luck. Go down there and show them how tough mountain boys are and bring the title back! :Cheerlead

I think you are right on. Haywood has made this team great. Belfry will be back and as good as every. They just lost to a team that was better last night. It happens.
Alright, for all the people bashing Haywood, if you think you could possibly do better then why haven't you? Look, Haywood made two mistakes tonight. Yes, he should have gone for two, but the last time he had that decision to make in a close game was Ashland in '06... And, in his defense, had we not gotten the 2, the safety wouldn't have put us w/in a field goal of the win.

The second was going after the last punt. If we don't go after that kick, we're down 4 on about the 35. I like our chances of getting a TD better from the 35.

For that matter, if I'm Holcomb, I tell my punter to catch the snap and run around in the end zone to eat time off the clock. So he made a mistake too.

And, as great of a game as Fugate had, he should have SO gone down in the end zone on that interception.
Sarrr Wrote:Alright, for all the people bashing Haywood, if you think you could possibly do better then why haven't you? Look, Haywood made two mistakes tonight. Yes, he should have gone for two, but the last time he had that decision to make in a close game was Ashland in '06... And, in his defense, had we not gotten the 2, the safety wouldn't have put us w/in a field goal of the win.

The second was going after the last punt. If we don't go after that kick, we're down 4 on about the 35. I like our chances of getting a TD better from the 35.

For that matter, if I'm Holcomb, I tell my punter to catch the snap and run around in the end zone to eat time off the clock. So he made a mistake too.

And, as great of a game as Fugate had, he should have SO gone down in the end zone on that interception.
As for my earlier post, I wasn't bashing him into retirement like some are. All i was saying is that the play calling was awful. I just wonder why they run the sweep with the power back and run the dive with the speed back. It just doesn't add up to me. As for Lee, he wasn't a man possesed like earlier in the season, hew as a man scared to death, like in last years champinoship game. He was shut down the whole night. As for Haywood, he is a good coach, just needs to think about a certain few calls before he makes them, that's all. Things happen. Last night was just Breathitt's night. Belfry was outplayed and outcoached. That doesn't happen much at all.:thumpsup:
Congrats to both teams for a great game. I am not a fan of either school but I must say I have never seen a group of supporters show more class in defeat than the Pirates have on here. Most of the time all you hear is bad refs or bad coaching or any other excuse you may think of. But the Pirate faithful have been super to congratulate and commend thier opposition. I say hats off to the Bobcats for a hard fought victory and Hats off to the Pirate nation for showing how to lose with class and dignity. You guys are an example to all of us. Thanks
A little suprised but not shocked here. I thought this would be close.

I have alluded to this since I saw Belfry play Russell. This is not a knock against Belfry in any way either. This years Belfry team is not as good as the past few have been. Russell made them look like world beaters even though I thought the physical talent was comparable. Where Belfry has had a huge advantage on most teams is in mindset and intimadation.

I don't believe that Sheldon Clark ever thought they had a chance against Belfry. I know that some of Russell's players went to Belfry expecting to lose and played like it. Breathitt County came in wanting payback and took the fight to them. The Bobcats were not intimidated and earned a trip to Louisville to play for a state championship. Congratulations to Breathitt County.

Belfry fans. I alluded to this earlier in the week too. Haywood can still coach just like he could last week and the week before. Don't go overboard blaming the coaching staff and calling for changes. I've seen Russell go through it already this year. I'ves seen Raceland fans turn on the coaches already this year. What most fans need to realize is that you can't win them all. That is why we all love sports. The joy of winning and the agony of losing and all of the emotions in between. Belfry was a very good team this year but they were not as talented as the teams of the past few seasons. You are still having a great run of successful football. Enjoy it.

Breathitt County fans. You have some talented players. You will be right back in the hunt next season as well I think. Central is big fast and talented. Bring that attitude to Louisville and play with no fear. Good luck.

By the way. Every year since 2002 Russell Breathitt County or Belfry have represented the East in Louisville.
Sarrr Wrote:Alright, for all the people bashing Haywood, if you think you could possibly do better then why haven't you? Look, Haywood made two mistakes tonight. Yes, he should have gone for two, but the last time he had that decision to make in a close game was Ashland in '06... And, in his defense, had we not gotten the 2, the safety wouldn't have put us w/in a field goal of the win.

First, this is in no way bashing Haywood, just analyzing some plays and the game. There is no reason not to go for two. Down 5, you go for two. That's the coaches rule and we didn't do it. If we do not get it, we are down 5. Contrary to what you say, the safety still would have put us within 3 at 14-11. Kicking the extra point at 14-9 gave us no help or advantage at all. Basically there is no difference, in football, with a 4 or 5 point deficit. On the punt, you always block it if you can. If the ball bounces our way, and stays in the endzone and we recover, then most likely we win the game. A coach would never tell his player to just run around in the endzone, because no advantage is gained. If he would have been tackled he could have fumbled and Belfry recovered or even if Breathitt recovered, then it still would have been a safety. Anyway, IMO the inability of Belfry to hang on to the football and score in the red zone was the real keys to the game.
heck yeah baby.... Breathitt state bound baby... no school for me...
go Breathitt bobcats!!!
After we lost last year at CAM, people around Breathitt was saying that Holcomb should retire. To me that is crazy talk, just like saying Haywood should retire. Just because one of your biggest rivals come into you house and beat you, that doesnt mean anything. All that means is that one team was prepared better than the other. Haywood is a great great coach. Hats off to him and his players for a great season. I would also like to address the people who say Belfry gave this game away. How bout giving Breathitt some respect and say Breathitt took it to Belfry and took the game.
I really didn't like that some of Breathitt's fans ran out on our field. Good game, just like state last year, the better team actually lost. We had the edge in every stat. We dominated them in the 2nd half, we came out asleep in the first, but in the 2nd, we came out and played like Belfry and outscored them
12-0, and we were on the move to make it 19-14 or 15-14... one costly fumble. Good luck against Central, Breathitt. I'lll be cheering for you.
Belfry0304 Wrote:I really didn't like that some of Breathitt's fans ran out on our field. Good game, just like state last year, the better team actually lost. We had the edge in every stat. We dominated them in the 2nd half, we came out asleep in the first, but in the 2nd, we came out and played like Belfry and outscored them
12-0, and we were on the move to make it 19-14 or 15-14... one costly fumble. Good luck against Central, Breathitt. I'lll be cheering for you.

Russell did the same thing against Mason County earlier in the year. Won every stat except the one that counts. It can be tough to take but the team that executes the best usually wins. That is what Breathitt County did.
C.Clair Wrote:Come on give Breathitt some credit!
I just did.Big Grin
FBALL Wrote:Russell did the same thing against Mason County earlier in the year. Won every stat except the one that counts. It can be tough to take but the team that executes the best usually wins. That is what Breathitt County did.

They just got out to a quick lead. Breathitt's a good team, we shouldn't have let that happen. I can't help but believe if we didn't fumble.. we won.
Belfry0304 Wrote:They just got out to a quick lead. Breathitt's a good team, we shouldn't have let that happen. I can't help but believe if we didn't fumble.. we won.
Fumbles and ball security are part of the game. Breathitt just did a better job in that aspect.
FBALL Wrote:Fumbles and ball security are part of the game. Breathitt just did a better job in that aspect.

Agree!

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
I want to say that Belfry, you had one heck of a season. Onw lose is not the end of the world. Keep your heads up. Also, congrads Breathitt and my friend Channing Fugate. He put that team on his back last night and lead them to the state title. bIg plays on off. and def. Belfry did not give this game to Breathitt, Breathitt took it from Belfry. I was listening to it ont the radio and even though Belfrys T.O.P was double then that of Breathitt, Breathitt was in control the entire game. Bring home another state title to eastern kentucky Bobcats, we all believe in you.
Belfry0304 Wrote:They just got out to a quick lead. Breathitt's a good team, we shouldn't have let that happen. I can't help but believe if we didn't fumble.. we won.

Didn't Breathitt get a TD called back? They should have had 21 pts if you look at it like that.
I just couldn't believe that we won.
I was so happy i have lost my voice.
Pirates you all had a great season.
That was a good game to watch.
I'm glad i cheer for the Breathitt County Bobcats Smile
blitz43 Wrote:Didn't Breathitt get a TD called back? They should have had 21 pts if you look at it like that.
But like a Breathitt fan has already said, if fumbles are a part of the game, then so are penalties. If it should have been 21pts then it would have been 21 pts.
Congratulations to Breathitt and good luck in Louisville.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KENTUCKY WILDCATS