•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 21 - Johnson Central 13
sstack Wrote:After tonights games, I feel very confident in saying Highlands will beat JC by at least 4 TD's. JC's week schedule showed tonight. First tough team they played was tonight. Highlands is playing better each week. I was surprised how easily they put Central away tonight. Central was huge compared to Highlands,and had alot of speed, but coaching was very questionable. JC should put away Holmes fairly easily next week.

Wow you crack me up. Your saying JC has an easy schedule, they have by frar the hardest schedule in eastern ky.:lmao:
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I was not the one that came on here and took "off topic" pot shots at a coach, was I? Lets be fair here both ways.

Congrats to the Pirates. I was at the game as well and didnt see anything at the end. Belfry just outplayed JC and Haywood outcoached Matney. The Pirates are used to big time games like this and JC is still trying to learn how to win them. Belfry will make some serious noise in the playoffs and JC's playoff road could come to an abrupt end if they dont recover from this loss.
I was favoring JC by a touchdown or more and am very suprised with the outcome but I will have to give it up. Belfry will always be king in the mountains and I wish them luck bringing the State title home!! Go Pirates!!
Big_Wiggle33 Wrote:i was at the game and didnt see anything major..,...i know after the game ended belfry players come across the field and both teams were face to face and a coach grabbed a jc player and they left the field but i didnt any contact

Here is what happened. Yes I am a Belfry fan, but this is a bird's eye, objective view. On the last play, as the players were standing around Elkins and whomever else was on the ground, number 55 from JC threw basically a block into a Belfry player. Kinda like the "picking a player off the pile rule"...Hitting someone while they are just standing around and the play is over. Then in the shake hands line, 55, got to scuffling and it was minor. A coach or staff member pulled him back...All in all, no big deal...Matney was not involved or responsible and on the other side, Ivan Lee did no unecessary dancing around. He played hard and he got his troops fired up a couple of times. No where near anything like the cheerleading that the Dials kid did last year at Belfry, and to me that was no big deal either. Sour grapes, should not be directed at Lee. Both teams played hard. Bottom line. Belfry made a statement opening drive. Two good teams traded punches after that and Belfry came out on top. 99 percent class by both teams and for once in a long time, the BHS kids got to show some emotion. Do not fault them for that.
I picked this one. Congrats to Belfry. Maybe JC's big heads will shrink down a little now. G-luck to both in the playoffs.
mjballer23 Wrote:Wow you crack me up. Your saying JC has an easy schedule, they have by frar the hardest schedule in eastern ky.:lmao:

I agree, JC has had a tough schedule regardless of how they looked tonight. JC did not play like they have all season. Belfry is good, but I still think JC is a team to reckon with, JMO.

Hang your heads high, JC. Get ready for playoffs, that's what really matters.
Big_Wiggle33 Wrote:i think this is one of the best games i have ever watched......belfry proved alot to me tonight......Both teams played really good imo......the only 2 things i question is 1. the play that matney chose for the 2 pt conversion......the 2 pt conversion was a good call imo because belfy ran the ball pretty good tonight and central would have to made a stop and then scored anyway so it didnt matter......2. if your phillip haywood and you have johnson central by the throat why not cut the neck.....im talking about scoring to go up 7 and kicking the extra point to go up 8 instead of going for 2 and putting the game out of reach.......great game and good luck to both in the playoffs.......lived up to the hype imo

It is risk/reward. You hardly ever see a coach try to go up nine. Sure if you get it you are up 9, but if not you are only up 7. By kicking the PAT, the worst you can do is a tie and get OT. Obviously it worked out for the Pirates.
Thanks for the info I was just going by what other people were saying about the end of the game and was just wondering what happened. Sounds like a typical rivalry game where emotions run high anyway and being a close game makes it even worse.
DEVIL89 Wrote:Thanks for the info I was just going by what other people were saying about the end of the game and was just wondering what happened. Sounds like a typical rivalry game where emotions run high anyway and being a close game makes it even worse.

It was all emotion. You had just got beat. No one was hurt, that is not saying it was right, its just understandable.
was at the game tonight. it was raining hard the whole night sometimes really hard. belfry basically played thier hearts out tonight and never gave up or anything. this team is for real this year and will win state. go pirates!!!
Yeah I seen the end of the game play, it was a cheap shop no doubt, but it happens. I thought JC played very classy and the fans were also and one incident won't change that view. As for anybody who saying JC was not playing the way normally do, it was simply because they got beat on the line. Belfry is a smart strong physical team and your not going to have the 500 yards rushing against them.
A big difference I noticed was the speed of Belfry on the line of scrimage. JC was huge but Belfry's speed really caused JC some problems.
Good luck Eagle fans in the playoffs, it's a hard road to plow but I wish you guys the best.
And for Matney's 2 point call, it wasn't a difference in the game, he would have still kicked it short because it's Matney. In 98 he beat Belfry with the same type of gutsy call, he was a genius then. That is the way the game goes and you know Matney will take the chances. Sometimes you get them and look smart and other times you don't and the same fans who praise you when you do are there to question when you don't.
The College One Wrote:was at the game tonight. it was raining hard the whole night sometimes really hard. belfry basically played thier hearts out tonight and never gave up or anything. this team is for real this year and will win state. go pirates!!!

I don't know if they will win state, but right now all I care about is this win. Both teams, and I repeat, both teams left it on the field. Two teams go double tight, wishbone,:mad: for pretty much all the second half. Central's kids played just as hard as the Pirates, but Belfry was better. Not by much, but better, and they won a classic. My respect for both teams grew a lot tonight and I hope they both have great playoff runs. I mistakenly put the soapbox in there. Did not mean to, but i'll leave it.
squirrel Wrote:I agree, JC has had a tough schedule regardless of how they looked tonight. JC did not play like they have all season. Belfry is good, but I still think JC is a team to reckon with, JMO.

Hang your heads high, JC. Get ready for playoffs, that's what really matters.

Belfry was the reason JC did not play like they have all season. I expect JC to probably win their first two playoff games if they can regroup after a tough loss and lose something like 35-0 to Highlands.
mjballer23 Wrote:Wow you crack me up. Your saying JC has an easy schedule, they have by frar the hardest schedule in eastern ky.:lmao:

Then I would hate to see the schedules of the other eastern teams! Same thing last year, big record coming into playoffs and weak schedule leads to early exit. Have you compared JC's schedule to others like Highlands or Louisville Central's? Central will be ready for the playoffs!
sstack Wrote:More like 42-0

Hey, sstack, you don't happen to ever go to the Kirk Herbstreit Challenge do you?
Talking about the game is all good, but calling some coaches classless, etc. is unacceptable here at BGR. So please, keep all posts on-topic!
The gap between JC and Belfry has closed tremendously since Matney has taken the JC coaching job, so I hope JC fans do support every move he made tonight.

This is a if both teams play 10 times it goes 5/5 game, they are pretty even.

2 negatives -

JC PLEASE, PLEASE stop playing the music in between downs, I think that is just not classy or professional.

The last one is HUGE....THE DIRTY hit at the end after the game was over on Elkins from the JC player was as blatant as an attempt to hurt someone as I have ever seen watching high school sports, that kids needs off your team JC fans!
NEXT Wrote:The gap between JC and Belfry has closed tremendously since Matney has taken the JC coaching job, so I hope JC fans do support every move he made tonight.

This is a if both teams play 10 times it goes 5/5 game, they are pretty even.

2 negatives -

JC PLEASE, PLEASE stop playing the music in between downs, I think that is just not classy or professional.

The last one is HUGE....THE DIRTY hit at the end after the game was over on Elkins from the JC player was as blatant as an attempt to hurt someone as I have ever seen watching high school sports, that kids needs off your team JC fans!
I will say nothing negative about the folks at JC because we were treated great. That being said, the music between plays was a little much, especially a couple of times when the quarterback was under center and they finally cut it off. To address the late hit. I have seen worse, also I have seen players ejected for that type of hit. If that happens in the middle of the field, at a different time of the game, it should have been at least a personal foul. The overall atmosphere was incredible and i compliment the administration for putting so much thought and effort into making the game what it was, and what JC gets to experience every week.
Way to go Pirates! I have waited for this game all week and I'm a little sad that it is over with.Smile

It was a war just as I has predicted and really the last team with the football one the game. There should be no excuses in this one. Bottom line the better team one tonight, and that was the team in Red and White from a little spot in Pike County called Belfry, and after tonight everyone should remember where that isSmile . The Pirates came out in a huge game, kept their heads on straight, took a few punches on the chin but finally delivered that knock out punch in the end.

Central you have nothing to hang your head about. You have one of the best coaches in Kentucky and all the blame about his play calling in tight games costing Central the game you need to put his shoes on and see how you would act in a situation like that. Granted at home you usually go for the tie and the win on the road but he thought otherwise. Had the Golden Eagles converted that 2 point con. Matney would be a God but he didn't but that doesn't make him any less of a great coach. Tonight Haywood proved why he is one of the best if not top coach in the state of Kentucky.

Belfry came into the game like every other game they have played. They are well coached and well disciplined. They know how to take care of business and that exactly what happend tonight. There was a battle in the trenches that seemed to go back and forth but in the 4th quarter Central was bent over and odviously tired and Belfry just kept pounding away. What a great showing it was by both teams. I look for our Pirates to return to the Pizza box if they continue to play like they can and keep getting better as each week passes.

As for Central you guys have nothing to hang your heads about. Learn from this game and use it to your advantage. I wish you nothing but the best of luck in the playoffs and would love to cheer you on in the State Championship game too if the Pirates make a return visit in a couple weeks.

Again great game. I wish Coach Matney and his Golden Eagles the best of luck in the coming weeks. As for our Pirates continue to get better and enjoy the win but your goal is still a few weeks away. Take every week as the most important game of your life and I have no doubt that you won't be able to make it back to Louisville with a 14-0 record and playing for the 2008 3A state Championship.

Way to go PIRATES!!!!!!:Thumbs:
Well idk why matney makes some of the calls he does.
I think we did get out coach badly. We got beat at our own game guys.
all we heard all week is how belfry can't play with JC... JC is on another level.. JC is the greatest team in the mountains.. no one hits harder than JC... ya ya ya.. another year.. same outcome..
Old School Eagle Wrote:Well idk why matney makes some of the calls he does.

I support the 2 pt conversion. I dont think we could have stopped Belfry with 4 attempts from the 10 yd line if it had went to OT. To much power and speed in those backs. The best team won fair and square, I think Matney was outcoached but many have been outcoached by Haywood along the way. Belfry is a good team, you cant take this win away from them, they earned it.

After the game, I talked to Matney. He said the fake punt was a great call by Haywood. It took them by surprise. It took a lot of Belfry folks by surprise. The Belfry coaches said it had been somewhere around 12 years since they had faked one. The biggest thing I saw with JC, is that some of the play action is almost too obvious. Fakes are only real effective if they are made naturally in the flow of the play. Like a changup in baseball. For example, Dillon used both hands to fake the quick hiiter to the wide receiver before throwing downfield. The fake is so exaggerated that a good defense would never fall for it. On the other hand, the 16 play, 82 yard drive, by JC in the third quarter was a thing of wishbone beauty and Belfry's answer, aided by the fake punt, was a great response.

Ok JC fans, lets say he did get out coached.

Coach Haywood is arguably the best coach in Kentucky, so is that really something to be throwing out about Matney?

JC is competing and beating teams that used to use them as a doormat, be happy where you are at and where you are going.
NEXT Wrote:Ok JC fans, lets say he did get out coached.

Coach Haywood is arguably the best coach in Kentucky, so is that really something to be throwing out about Matney?

JC is competing and beating teams that used to use them as a doormat, be happy where you are at and where you are going.

No doubt. I am an avid Belfry supporter ,and I have never coached football, but we all question even the great ones. I was trying to figure out why Belfry, all of a sudden, was trying to go outside, when the middle and dives had worked all night. Then they got the ball back into Dotson and Lee's hands, and Varney came alive, and all was well.
bucslover68 Wrote:After the game, I talked to Matney. He said the fake punt was a great call by Haywood. It took them by surprise. It took a lot of Belfry folks by surprise. The Belfry coaches said it had been somewhere around 12 years since they had faked one. The biggest thing I saw with JC, is that some of the play action is almost too obvious. Fakes are only real effective if they are made naturally in the flow of the play. Like a changup in baseball. For example, Dillon used both hands to fake the quick hiiter to the wide receiver before throwing downfield. The fake is so exaggerated that a good defense would never fall for it. On the other hand, the 16 play, 82 yard drive, by JC in the third quarter was a thing of wishbone beauty and Belfry's answer, aided by the fake punt, was a great response.

and then coach matney got on 98.9 at the end of the game and said belfry jumped offsides on the fake punt play.. and blamed his kids for going for 2.. said he wasn't for it.. they also said they made mistakes that they don't ever make.. basically saying that had nothing to do with belfry.. that imo is just not classy
I was at this game but 2 plays tipped the game in Belfrys favor.
1) Belfrys successful fake punt on 4th down while trailing 7-6 to keep the drive alive and go ahead 14-7
2) JCs decision to go for 2 when they couldve tied the game up. I was listening to the post game interview with Matney on the radio going home and I couldnt believe what I heard. Matney wouldnt take responsibility for that call. Instead he basically said he didnt want to do it but his players talked him into it. I guarantee if Belfrys fake punt didnt work and JC won Haywood wouldve took responsibilty for it even if his players talked him into it. If I was a JC fan I believe Id be a little upset over that.
lol...i had a feeling belfry was going to come out on top....good job belfry and good luck through playoffs.... from lc
Your not a Johnson Central fan anyways, so why would you care?
Smile
mrfootball03 Wrote:and then coach matney got on 98.9 at the end of the game and said belfry jumped offsides on the fake punt play.. and blamed his kids for going for 2.. said he wasn't for it.. they also said they made mistakes that they don't ever make.. basically saying that had nothing to do with belfry.. that imo is just not classy

I have known Jim a long time and accepting defeat is never easy for him. He is without a doubt, like him or loathe him, the most fierce competitor I have witnessed, either coaching or playing football, and with his wrestling programs. Last year after Belfry won, he spent 95 percent of the YMT interview complaining about how his team picked the worst night to play bad and how they made mistakes they don't normally make and so on. Finally, the last sentence of the interview he says,"Sometimes you just have to say that the other team was better." So it goes. He is definitely one of a kind, and there is nothing wrong with that.
  •  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next