Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much difference does the weight room make?
NIECE Wrote:It does not have anything to do with madatory weight lifting. However, it has a lot to do with a good athlete playing in his/her district or driving across county lines or across the city limits to play for a private school.

Not really sure how this pertains to this thread. I agree, but until the KHSAA puts in rules like VA has. It doesn't really matter. If I lived in Raceland or South Shore, and I was a good football player, I would goto Russell. Same goes if I lived out in Ironville or somewhere in BC, I would make the extra trip to Paul G. Blazer. Nothing wrong with that in my book. Now if the coaches are contacting players about coming to the school, then thats definetly not right. However, if a kid and his parents were to decide that its best for them to attend a different school. So be it.
The weightroom is extremely important when it comes to High School football. The first thing it keeps kids from getting hurt, and in order to compete you have to be in the weightroom
I have to say lifting weights every day will make a good player great our team has hit the weights hard this year and those players that were good players the year before have become even better players because of all the hard work in the weight room.And those who werent so good last year that have pushed there selves in the weight room have got better to.
Ok I have listened to all these arguments and I am a coach, so here is my take. Weight lifting is absolutely necessary for a team to be successful, as well as a good speed program and conditioning. I will agree that some kids are great without weight lifting but weight lifting and speed work make the average kid, a good one. I would say Randy Moss would be where he is at today without every lifting a weight but I doubt Brian Urlacher would. At LCC we lift from January to December but we lighten the load during the season. We also place a high importance on speed and conditioning. During a one hour workout about 30 minutes is lifting and 30 is speed work and agilities. I am not saying this is the right way because we do it, we are far from a great team. But once we got everyone to buy into the weight program, we started to win a few games.
HazzBeen Wrote:Ok I have listened to all these arguments and I am a coach, so here is my take. Weight lifting is absolutely necessary for a team to be successful, as well as a good speed program and conditioning. I will agree that some kids are great without weight lifting but weight lifting and speed work make the average kid, a good one. I would say Randy Moss would be where he is at today without every lifting a weight but I doubt Brian Urlacher would. At LCC we lift from January to December but we lighten the load during the season. We also place a high importance on speed and conditioning. During a one hour workout about 30 minutes is lifting and 30 is speed work and agilities. I am not saying this is the right way because we do it, we are far from a great team. But once we got everyone to buy into the weight program, we started to win a few games.

So what kind of different things do you do for speed? I know speed is more of a natural talent, but how can you help those lineman get faster. And what type of things do you run for conditioning such as 20's 40's or distance running?
Pigskinman53 Wrote:So what kind of different things do you do for speed? I know speed is more of a natural talent, but how can you help those lineman get faster. And what type of things do you run for conditioning such as 20's 40's or distance running?

Anything that strengthens your legs will increase your speed. Also, flexibility is huge in adding some speed. Also, it helps prevent injury. Now are you gonna be able to go from a 5.0 40, to a 4.5? No, but you can gain a step or two. Running stairs and sprints are the best things, in my opinion, to do for getting in better football shape and increasing speed and quickness. I wouldn't have my linemen out running 2+ miles a few times a week. I'd have them doing lots of short distance sprints, trying to increase their quickness the best I can.
The weight room is a good excuse to get all these young men together when otherwise they would be eaten doritos ho-hos` and sitting on there can. I know that it was hard for me to gain strength until my early twenties even though i worked hard preseason. Some of the physiques just are late bloomers when it comes to putting on weight. But we are all different like my brother who put on alot of strength and weight. It did help me with speed and leg endurance though. But for sure i would have been somewhere unproductive if i hadnt been in the weight room. Like hanging out with the bad apples and so on.
Turns good players into great players.
I just want to put my two cents in on the weight lifting debate. (1) Weight lifting does help a player get stronger for the season. (2) It also helps with building team togetherness, there is no better way to help a team build convidence with each other in the off season then lifting. But weight lifting alone will not help, you work also on your agilities and quickness. That is what makes a good ballplayer a better player.
As far as Russell is concerned they really do not have a mandatory weight program. YES, they did win the STATE weightlifting title this year because some (if not all of the players) have now bought into the winning tradition that we always talked about and decided to lift weights in the off season and reaped the benefits from it. BUT like I said unless McGlone has had a softened heart, he does not have weightlifting as mandatory.
Pigskinman53 Wrote:So what kind of different things do you do for speed? I know speed is more of a natural talent, but how can you help those lineman get faster. And what type of things do you run for conditioning such as 20's 40's or distance running?

This off season we ran short sprints up hills, a lot of ladder drills, plyometrics and quick shuttles. Quick, short stuff is what you want to improve quickness. We do not do alot of distance running with our players for the simple fact that it works your slow twitch muscle fibers while the plyometrics and short sprints work your fast twitch muscle fibers.
HazzBeen Wrote:Ok I have listened to all these arguments and I am a coach, so here is my take. Weight lifting is absolutely necessary for a team to be successful, as well as a good speed program and conditioning. I will agree that some kids are great without weight lifting but weight lifting and speed work make the average kid, a good one. I would say Randy Moss would be where he is at today without every lifting a weight but I doubt Brian Urlacher would. At LCC we lift from January to December but we lighten the load during the season. We also place a high importance on speed and conditioning. During a one hour workout about 30 minutes is lifting and 30 is speed work and agilities. I am not saying this is the right way because we do it, we are far from a great team. But once we got everyone to buy into the weight program, we started to win a few games.

So, what do you do about football players who also play basketball and/or baseball? Is weightlifting still mandatory? How do you "share" your athletes with other coaches?
mandan Wrote:So, what do you do about football players who also play basketball and/or baseball? Is weightlifting still mandatory? How do you "share" your athletes with other coaches?

I would say everyone agrees that those who are multi-sport athletes are an exception to the mandatory program. Basketball ends in February, Baseball in May. There is still plenty of time for those kids to be part of the weight training program.
The weight room is very important.
Beetle01 Wrote:I would say everyone agrees that those who are multi-sport athletes are an exception to the mandatory program. Basketball ends in February, Baseball in May. There is still plenty of time for those kids to be part of the weight training program.

Oh, I agree. But I know there are schools/coaches out there that insist that kids lift no matter if they play another sport or not. I'm interested on how other schools deal with that situation. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Well said, Coach!