Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kentucky 2019 Mr. Football Candidates
FoSho Wrote:Reese Smith has been All-State on both sides of the ball...and stats, check them.

Mayer had 98 tackles 4 forced fumbles playing middle linebacker playing defense.
UK1fan Wrote:Mayer had 98 tackles 4 forced fumbles playing middle linebacker playing defense.

Nice. Has he been selected Allstate on both sides of the ball?

Compare offensive stats.
FoSho Wrote:Nice. Has he been selected Allstate on both sides of the ball?

Compare offensive stats.

Playing devils advocate here. They both averaged 22 yards per reception last season(Mayer had like 22.37 and smith had like 22.13). Smith gets more targets per game, but I feel like Mayer is equally as important to his team. Add into the equation that the weakest teams on Cov Cath’s schedule are a little better than the weakest teams on Boyle County’s and the argument could be made that they’re pretty even offensively. Smith gets plenty of press and he deserves it, but the AP can bend stats to support whatever they decide.
Single Wing 77 Wrote:Playing devils advocate here. They both averaged 22 yards per reception last season(Mayer had like 22.37 and smith had like 22.13). Smith gets more targets per game, but I feel like Mayer is equally as important to his team. Add into the equation that the weakest teams on Cov Cath’s schedule are a little better than the weakest teams on Boyle County’s and the argument could be made that they’re pretty even offensively. Smith gets plenty of press and he deserves it, but the AP can bend stats to support whatever they decide.

I'll add that one is a TE and the other is more of an ATH. Not exactly a lateral comparison if you want to compare offensive stats.

Again, I'm of the opinion that Smith should be the obvious choice for Mr. Football. He's put up bigger numbers for a longer time. I'm just not convinced that he's the better player.
Our staff goes out of their way to not run the score up otherwise the passing duo of Lanter / Smith would have ridiculous stats. Having a tougher schedule HELPS stat numbers because you stay in the game longer. This also helps Beau Allen in this discussion...when your team isn't very good you play much longer and are asked to do more for a longer period of time per game.

A healthy Smith dominates every game he plays in. Hell he had four TDs and an INT at Belfry with a broken hand/displaced knuckle. He had 12 TD catches with a cast on his hand. Lol
FoSho Wrote:I got an idea.

Let's compare career stats and accomplishments at seasons end.

Again, good luck to both of them and may they both have a great and injury free season!

FoSho Wrote:Reese Smith is the best player in KY but unless you have seen him play (even since he was in third grade), I don't expect for you to "get it".

They're both fantastic players.

They ARE both fantastic players.

Michael Mayer 2017:
14 receptions for 232 yards and 3 TDs.
Averaged 16.57 yards per reception.
Averaged 1 TD for every 4.66 receptions.
Tackles: 79
Sacks: Not recorded.
Forced Fumbles: 2
Interceptions: 0

Reese Smith 2017:
50 receptions for 1037 yards and 14 TDs.
Averaged 20.74 yards per reception.
Averaged 1 TD for every 3.57 receptions.
Tackles: 40
Forced Fumbles: 0
Interceptions: 9

Michael Mayer 2018:
46 receptions for 1029 yards and 12 TDs.
Averaged 22.37 yards per reception.
Averaged 1 TD for every 3.83 receptions.
Tackles: 98
Sacks: 3
Forced Fumbles: 4
Interceptions: 1

Reese Smith 2018:
53 receptions for 1173 yards and 20 TDs.
Averaged 22.13 yards per reception.
Averaged 1 TD for every 2.65 receptions.
Tackles: 55
Sacks: 0
Interceptions:

Michael Mayer was just the MVP of the biggest high school combine in the nation. Lots of folks are rating him as the #1 high school tight end in the class of 2020 in the nation.

BGR is central-and-eastern-Kentucky-centric, so of course Reese Smith gets talked up a lot, as he should. Michael Mayer, along with most of the NKY programs and players, gets virtually no attention on here. Unfortunately, the same goes for much of the AP voting in the state - especially since there is only 1 eligible AP voter from anywhere within 60 miles of NKY. Besides the NKY beat reporter for the Cincinnati Enquirer, the next closest AP voter to Covington Catholic/Michael Mayer is Evan Dennison at the Ledger Independent in Maysville, and then the next two nearest AP voters are Jason Frakes from the Louisville Courier-Journal and Jared Peck rom the Herald-Leader. I fully expect the voting to be much more in favor of the likes of Reese Smith, Beau Allen, and Vito Tisdale simply because AP voters will not have seen Michael Mayer actually play in person. They're going to just go by their same old, "Yeah, he may be good, but you just had to be there to see how so-and-so did against blah-blah-blah...he may not of had any big stats, but you just have to see him in person to see how electric he is."

If you compare the strength of schedule for the schools those four standouts attend - Bowling Green, Boyle County, Covington Catholic, and Lexington Catholic - I don't think there's much arguing that over the last two years, there just isn't the argument to be made for Boyle & LexCath's schedules being as tough as Bowling Green & CovCath's schedules (although I fully expect folks on here to try to do so, all the same).

Michael Mayer has done all of what he has against a stiffer schedule than Boyle County's. CovCath hasn't had teams like John Hardin, Waggener, North Harin, Franklin County, Mercer County, Garrard County, or Western Hills. Granted, they have had Dixie Heights and Cooper in there both years, but CovCath put together major out-of-state schedules in 2017 and 2018. Plus Michael has been competing for receptions with a stacked receiving corps both years that included a D1-FBS receiver in Jack Coldiron.
TheOracle Wrote:They ARE both fantastic players.

Michael Mayer 2017:
14 receptions for 232 yards and 3 TDs.
Averaged 16.57 yards per reception.
Averaged 1 TD for every 4.66 receptions.
Tackles: 79
Forced Fumbles: 2
Interceptions: 0

Reese Smith 2017:
50 receptions for 1037 yards and 14 TDs.
Averaged 20.74 yards per reception.
Averaged 1 TD for every 3.57 receptions.
Tackles: 40
Interceptions: 9

Michael Mayer 2018:
46 receptions for 1029 yards and 12 TDs.
Averaged 22.37 yards per reception.
Averaged 1 TD for every 3.83 receptions.
Tackles: 98
Sacks: 3
Forced Fumbles: 4
Interceptions: 1

Reese Smith 2018:
53 receptions for 1173 yards and 20 TDs.
Averaged 22.13 yards per reception.
Averaged 1 TD for every 2.65 receptions.
Tackles: 55
Sacks: 0
Interceptions:

Michael Mayer was just the MVP of the biggest high school combine in the nation. Lots of folks are rating him as the #1 high school tight end in the class of 2020 in the nation.

BGR is central-and-eastern-Kentucky-centric, so of course Reese Smith gets talked up a lot, as he should. Michael Mayer, along with most of the NKY programs and players, gets virtually no attention on here. Unfortunately, the same goes for much of the AP voting in the state - especially since there is only 1 eligible AP voter from anywhere within 60 miles of NKY. Besides the NKY beat reporter for the Cincinnati Enquirer, the next closest AP voter to Covington Catholic/Michael Mayer is Evan Dennison at the Ledger Independent in Maysville, and then the next two nearest AP voters are Jason Frakes from the Louisville Courier-Journal and Jared Peck rom the Herald-Leader. I fully expect the voting to be much more in favor of the likes of Reese Smith, Beau Allen, and Vito Tisdale simply because AP voters will not have seen Michael Mayer actually play in person. They're going to just go by their same old, "Yeah, he may be good, but you just had to be there to see how so-and-so did against blah-blah-blah...he may not of had any big stats, but you just have to see him in person to see how electric he is."

If you compare the strength of schedule for the schools those four standouts attend - Bowling Green, Boyle County, Covington Catholic, and Lexington Catholic - I don't think there's much arguing that over the last two years, there just isn't the argument to be made for Boyle & LexCath's schedules being as tough as Bowling Green & CovCath's schedules (although I fully expect folks on here to try to do so, all the same).

Michael Mayer has done all of what he has against a stiffer schedule than Boyle County's. CovCath hasn't had teams like John Hardin, Waggener, North Harin, Franklin County, Mercer County, Garrard County, or Western Hills. Granted, they have had Dixie Heights and Cooper in there both years, but CovCath put together major out-of-state schedules in 2017 and 2018. Plus Michael has been competing for receptions with a stacked receiving corps both years that included a D1-FBS receiver in Jack Coldiron.

Once again Reese has done his playing mostly half a game. Plus plays on a team that isn't as "stacked" with help (therefore making him do more work). All you did is prove to me even more that Reese has had the better career and deserves the award more, which is why I asked someone to post it.

How many total TD passes hs CovCath had the past two years, Boyle has had 68, Reese has half.

Career stats give Smith the advantage and that's pretty clear. Thank you for posting all that info.
Also remember Reese played in 2-3 fewer games in BOTH 2017 & 2018 because of injury.

Oh and he started both ways as a freshman too.
Cry me a river about the AP voting. Boyle had ZERO PLAYERS on the AP Team INCLUDING NO REESE SMITH.

So there's that.
FoSho Wrote:Also remember Reese played in 2-3 fewer games in BOTH 2017 & 2018 because of injury.

Oh and he started both ways as a freshman too.

Dont forget any ties go to the kid on the team with the best kicker.......
plantmanky Wrote:Dont forget any ties go to the kid on the team with the best kicker.......

?!?!

I mean we got a great kicker, but........
FoSho Wrote:Once again Reese has done his playing mostly half a game. Plus plays on a team that isn't as "stacked" with help (therefore making him do more work). All you did is prove to me even more that Reese has had the better career and deserves the award more, which is why I asked someone to post it.

How many total TD passes hs CovCath had the past two years, Boyle has had 68, Reese has half.

Career stats give Smith the advantage and that's pretty clear. Thank you for posting all that info.

Mayer had a first year Sophomore qb throwing to him last year.
UK1fan Wrote:Mayer had a first year Sophomore qb throwing to him last year.

So did Reese in 2017. So what? Michael had his brother AJ. ?!?!
FoSho Wrote:I don't see how anyone could be more deserving than Boyle County's Reese Smith.

He's been All-State all three years and has been so on offense (WR) and defense (S). Boyle County's alltime leading receiver and maybe even all time in INT.

And he still has a season left.

That's extremely impressive
reese smith should be a lock
At the end of the year I think the coaches Mr. Football is up for grabs but I THINK that the AP Mr. Football was wrapped up when Beau Allen committed to UK. So I think it will be a split decision and not a clean sweep like last year.
blackandgold4life Wrote:At the end of the year I think the coaches Mr. Football is up for grabs but I THINK that the AP Mr. Football was wrapped up when Beau Allen committed to UK. So I think it will be a split decision and not a clean sweep like last year.

I don't believe that. I have faith that politics won't win out.
Reese Smith is one of the best in the state. Mayer is one of the best in the country let that sink in for a minute.
UK1fan Wrote:Reese Smith is one of the best in the state. Mayer is one of the best in the country let that sink in for a minute.

This award is for KY Mr Football.

Reese Smith has been a better football player than Michael Mayer and stats and accomplishments back that up. Let that sink in for a minute.

Good news for all these kids is there is one season left to stake your claim. But let there be no misunderstanding...I know that state title #9 is the focal point for Reese and his teammates.
FoSho Wrote:This award is for KY Mr Football.

Reese Smith has been a better football player than Michael Mayer and stats and accomplishments back that up. Let that sink in for a minute.

Huh?

Michael Mayer was one of the best players as a sophomore on probably the best team in the state in 2017 and was the best player on a team that was the state runner up in 2018.

Reese Smith is an outstanding player in his own right, but the overall competition level Boyle has played against compared to Cov Cath really isn't close. That may contribute to the stat disparity that you seem to be emphasizing.

2 years ago Rondale Moore was the best player in the state and it wasn't close. He lost out to a very good player....but you'll never hear that kids name again. Rondale Moore is being talked about as a Heisman candidate as a sophomore at Purdue.

Stuff like that continues to enhance the perception of the stupidity of high school football in Kentucky.
Thunder Lips Wrote:Huh?

Michael Mayer was one of the best players as a sophomore on probably the best team in the state in 2017 and was the best player on a team that was the state runner up in 2018.

Reese Smith is an outstanding player in his own right, but the overall competition level Boyle has played against compared to Cov Cath really isn't close. That may contribute to the stat disparity that you seem to be emphasizing.

2 years ago Rondale Moore was the best player in the state and it wasn't close. He lost out to a very good player....but you'll never hear that kids name again. Rondale Moore is being talked about as a Heisman candidate as a sophomore at Purdue.

Stuff like that continues to enhance the perception of the stupidity of high school football in Kentucky.

What does Rondale Moores not being KY Mr Football and his college accomplish have to do with Mayer? 😂

I rest my case on this subject.
This maybe a dumb question, but is the award based on an athlete's complete career or just their senior season?
Rip/Spin Wrote:This maybe a dumb question, but is the award based on an athlete's complete career or just their senior season?

Not sure there are official parameters but I've always been told it's a career thing.
Rip/Spin Wrote:This maybe a dumb question, but is the award based on an athlete's complete career or just their senior season?

It's supposed to be career, but there have been instances where a player has an unbelievable senior season and wins the award primarily based on that one season, such as with Corey Robinson at Lone Oak in 2007.

To be fair though, in that one season he accumulated a career's worth of stats.
RoShamBo Wrote:It's supposed to be career, but there have been instances where a player has an unbelievable senior season and wins the award primarily based on that one season, such as with Corey Robinson at Lone Oak in 2007.

To be fair though, in that one season he accumulated a career's worth of stats.

90 TD passes or something ridiculous like that?!?! Lol
FoSho Wrote:90 TD passes or something ridiculous like that?!?! Lol

91 TD passes, also a national record, by a lot. For perspective, it is 29 TDs more than the person in 2nd on the list for the state of Kentucky, and 14 TDs more than the person in 2nd nationally.
RoShamBo Wrote:91 TD passes, also a national record, by a lot. For perspective, it is 29 TDs more than the person in 2nd on the list for the state of Kentucky, and 14 TDs more than the person in 2nd nationally.

I guess "running the score up" wasn't a concern. Lol
Responses to my post came in as fully expected.
TheOracle Wrote:Responses to my post came in as fully expected.

Your post was very informative, all of your research is very much appreciated. 😎
Tyson Thomas BCHS