•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Middlesboro 2017
NextGeneration Wrote:Both examples coaches left and went through another school. Time for this one to do the same and best of luck and hope he wins big. Again, you don't have a clue to this situation or been to a game or watched anything related. For every example you give I can give 10 of first job head coaches that never make it as head coach. Every situation is different. So, if you are saying let this go it will get better, I can not agree in this case. To much politics. Lost the kids and community.

I've not once claimed to know this situation.

For sure, and a lot of those cases are due to them never wanting to get back in it and/or moving into administration. Which....still is happening today. This coaching market in our state has been FLOODED that last 6-7 seasons, and it's not really been anything new.....but, if you look around....coaches AREN'T playing leap frog much (if any) these days; not current head coaches anyway...and, if they are...they aren't actually uprooting their families to do it (not enough in it to merit a move financially; especially if married and a family).
Then why are you giving advice as to what we should do or how we should feel about this situation?
NextGeneration Wrote:Both examples coaches left and went to another school. Time for this one to do the same and best of luck and hope he wins big. Again, you don't have a clue to this situation or been to a game or watched anything related. For every example you give I can give 10 of first job head coaches that never make it as head coach. Every situation is different. So, if you are saying let this go it will get better, I can not agree in this case. To much politics. Lost the kids and community.

Absolutely they are.

But who would have ever guessed that two guys that failed at their first stops (at very historically average programs at best mind you) would be two of the best coaches our state has ever seen, and leading the programs that they lead?
NextGeneration Wrote:Then why are you giving advice as to what we should do or how we should feel about this situation?

Have I given advice? Have I said fire or keep him?

Hell, if anything, I'm trying to give you all glimmer of hope that IF he coaches this year that MAYBE things turn around.

Annddddd....I've done that by giving examples of others out there have have stumbled mightily at different points in their career.

Pardon me for looking at things glass half full....I know that anonymously scrutinizing coaches (and programs) is a favorite past time of this board and thousands of others out there....I just choose to be different (if I don't know & I mean DON'T KNOW what's really going on).

Go Jackets. Good luck to you all (whatever that direction is).
That is the problem, there is no water in the glass here. We NEED a CHANGE. Top down.
NextGeneration Wrote:That is the problem, there is no water in the glass here. We NEED a CHANGE. Top down.

Let me ask you this...honest question & I mean nothing by it other than what it is b/c I love the mountains. Matter of fact; I spent some time a couple summers in Middlesboro & at Norris Lake in particular.

BUT, a lot of what took Bell County so long to find a coach last year had to do with it's location. There aren't many, if any coaches out there (and, ESPECIALLY their wives) who look on the map of KY and say "Yes. Let's move there. I want to be over an hour from the nearest Mall, Interstate and restaurants not named Applebee's."

So, before getting rid of somebody who is a Middleboro Yellow Jacket to his core. Somebody who has a vested/rooted interest in the program. Somebody who wants and does want his family to live there.......who are going to get that's without question...BETTER?

Maybe there is a grand slam out there; I don't know...but, those are REAL questions that admin, fans and parents need to ask themselves before desperately looking for a change.
Don't make a change because no coaches will take it? Really?
NextGeneration Wrote:Don't make a change because no coaches will take it? Really?

Where in what I wrote did you see that? I was saying that before you make a change, you better have a good idea that someone better will take the job. Sure there are coaches out there that would want it and take it, but will they match your expectations?

I said as fans, parents and community that those are REAL factors that you all have in trying to entice a proven head coach to come. Again, I'm a huge fan of EKY....I'm in Central Kentucky and LOVE the mountains....but, those are legit factors you are going to have to deal with.

It's like the McCracken County job that's open right now. 6A school in Paducah with unreal facilities and some good pay. However, what they THINK they are going to get and what they are ACTUALLY going to get will be two different things IMO (and, I've said that from the jump). They are going after big time names (as they should), but what they fail to realize is that the people they are going after are already winning 8-11 games a year (one of McCracken's sales) + a legit chance to win a title every year (many have, do currently or have gotten there).

I had a grandfather that used to tell me when I was in college that I had "Champagne taste with beer money" (and, he was right lol). IMVO there are plenty of programs out there where the fans/parents have just this. In terms of McCraken..they have the actual money, but in terms of overall potential it's not.
It is simple we do not expect champagne, we are looking for the beer, what we have Is soured milk. Ever tasted it? Leaves a bad taste in your mouth for a while and your stomach may turn as well. Need a CHANGE. We want to be competitive within our class. We know we are in tough district. We can't compete in a weak class A district now. That is proven with our schedule.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Let me ask you this...honest question & I mean nothing by it other than what it is b/c I love the mountains. Matter of fact; I spent some time a couple summers in Middlesboro & at Norris Lake in particular.

BUT, a lot of what took Bell County so long to find a coach last year had to do with it's location. There aren't many, if any coaches out there (and, ESPECIALLY their wives) who look on the map of KY and say "Yes. Let's move there. I want to be over an hour from the nearest Mall, Interstate and restaurants not named Applebee's."

So, before getting rid of somebody who is a Middleboro Yellow Jacket to his core. Somebody who has a vested/rooted interest in the program. Somebody who wants and does want his family to live there.......who are going to get that's without question...BETTER?

Maybe there is a grand slam out there; I don't know...but, those are REAL questions that admin, fans and parents need to ask themselves before desperately looking for a change.

Bell County's problem has nothing to do with location and everything to do with administration and hiring practices.
I don't say this to be rude,however when people post things that they really don't know a lot about and compare it to other situations is really useless.
NextGeneration Wrote:Bell County's problem has nothing to do with location and everything to do with administration and hiring practices.

It did. You're right. But, it had a lot to do with location as well. There were several that turned it down, and it had to do with $$$ + Location (from their better halves). But, with that said....as I mentioned in an earlier post....guys picking up and moving their families for this gig has always been rare, and it's becoming even more so as the years go on.
You can go back and forth all day, but at the end of the day Martin can not fire Massengill. 1st Daddy knows way to much for that to happen and now Massengill has a relative on the school board and Martin will lose his job if he does. She would be the deciding vote. So Middlesboro is stuck with both super and coach and that is why it will get worse. The only light was put out when Board chair spoke in favor of Martin just a while longer.
Seems that most of you in Middlesboro would rather talk about a superindent all day on a sports message board rather then to discuss actual sports. Just label this thread, Middlesboro Administration 2017 and go ahead and move it on over to Topix.

I'll be back when the discussion actually turns to sports again.
Obviously you haven't been here long enough to understand that the super is the football and Massengill is his mouthpiece. What offense are they going to and why? Those that know , understand. You will learn quickly
Well madness and Next Generation... Let me help you out its official Martin just got a 2 year extension was in The Daily News I read it online....so do us all a favor and check back in 2 years.... GO Jackets
Bell County and Pineville are celebrating.
Trashtalker Wrote:Well madness and Next Generation... Let me help you out its official Martin just got a 2 year extension was in The Daily News I read it online....so do us all a favor and check back in 2 years.... GO Jackets

Do you not realize what this means for our schools and sports programs? It is like you are celebrating the demise of the system. Check back with me in 2 years and you will see what you signed up for. I feel for the kids.
With that news we can see now what 2017 will bring. Nothing new. If that is the schedule I see 2 wins next season. I don't think that is the schedule, can't see them playing South Laurel. Wins will be Pineville and either Harlan or Claiborne. Sad really, such a tradition rich program.
Madness Wrote:Bell County and Pineville are celebrating.

Bell County for sure, as players will be moving to Log Mountain. Have heard of a few already getting paperwork lined out.
NextGeneration Wrote:It is simple we do not expect champagne, we are looking for the beer, what we have Is soured milk. Ever tasted it? Leaves a bad taste in your mouth for a while and your stomach may turn as well. Need a CHANGE. We want to be competitive within our class. We know we are in tough district. We can't compete in a weak class A district now. That is proven with our schedule.

Next...I've enjoyed this by the way.

But, I thought I'd just add one more for the glimmer of hope for you Jacket fans in the 'Boro.

Mark Clark who just took the McCracken County job today ONLY won 7 games in his first three years at HOPKINSVILLE (aka-More athletes than you can shake a stick at on a yearly basis). Three full seasons later?

Well...you get my point. :Thumbs:
No my point was maybe you 2 will quit bashing the program since there won't be "any change" and cheer for someone else... Since your son is gone and you'll be back coaching on the Mt
You are a riot, my son is gone and if I did coach ,it would not be any where in this state.

Flying duck give me an example of a coach that didn't go somewhere else and bounced back at the school where they started. Just curious.
One of mine is gone, the youngest will not play here. And many more ,from what I gather. That is what happens with, "No Change". Your right we will be cheering for the old man on the hill. If they will let me coach, I am in.
NextGeneration Wrote:You are a riot, my son is gone and if I did coach ,it would not be any where in this state.

Flying duck give me an example of a coach that didn't go somewhere else and bounced back at the school where they started. Just curious.

Clark is one at Hopkinsville....7 wins in his first three years. That was his first head coaching job.....AND I REPEAT....more talent than you can shake a stick at, but talent alone isn't always the answer as I'm sure you know well.

Duffy had his two years at Henderson after being there a few years already, and they bounced back just fine (Duffy didn't START at Henderson, but he bounced back WHILE at Henderson).

Bowlin at East Jessamine had been at East Jessamine some 6-7 years already when they hit their three year skid from 2012-2014 where they just won 7 games; as I mentioned earlier....they were their 4A district champs this year (same as Duffy. Mike started at Grant County, and those three years weren't pretty).

These examples and the others I've given are all ones I have personal ties to in some form or fashion (either I know the men personally, assistant coaches who were there and/or family there). So...I'm sure there are more

Most aren't able to, but mainly b/c/ they aren't allowed to.
John Hines only won 10 in his first three years at Pulaski County. Not just that, but then had another period in 2005 & 2006 where they just won four games.
So Pulaski was Coach Hines 1 head coaching job?
I understand what you are saying and every situation is different. Many here just don't think it will change with this coach and super. We will see. JMO and others obviously we need a change.
Middlesboro now has couple of asst. football jobs posted. Who's leaving?
I wondered the same thing 64 black
They didn't have a full staff last year so I'd say that's where that's comming from!!!
  •  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next