Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Johnson Central going nowhere fast!
Eagle Eye Wrote:I can't believe that you actually are agreeing with me but thanks (LOL)Smile
That's what i get for just reading the post and not seeing who the author was!!! LOL
I don’t know anything of the condition of the Eagle program, or whether or not Coach Stranes doesn’t let influential outsiders (parents etc…) influence his coaching decisions. I do know that I’ve known a couple of coaches that make the team rules, stand by them and make their own decisions for the best of the team and to teach players responsibility and the fact there are consequences’ for their actions. They catch all kinds of flack for it, are ridiculed and outsiders try to start movements to have them removed in favor of someone that can be controlled the way they (the outsiders) want. I for one have the upmost respect for these coaches. I know of one time in the Dist Tourney Championship when a player (whom was one of better players on the team) had somewhat of a hot head. He was told not to start anything or retaliate if an opposing player attempted to get something started. He did not start it, but for an instant wanted to retaliate; he was pulled from the game (he’s team was leading) and the team lost the Championship, but the coach team and school gained the respect of nearly everyone.
Thunderchild, you could not have said it better! And by the way, we did pull out a sloppy district rode win last night at Sheldon Clark.
Eagle Eye Wrote:I am not making excuses for this team all mighty knowledgable Nike Man. This team (if you call it that) has underachieved. I think that Jesse Meek was not shown the door but he left on his own. I know that he begged to come back but Starns would not budge. I would like you to explain where Starns has not made adjustments. He likes to press but knew he could not beat Paintsville running up and down the court. So what did he do? Slowed it down? I think that is what you call an adjustment all mighty one. I like Jesse and I like Coach Starns but I love this school and I will call it as I see it. You have your opinion and I will have mine. The bottom line is if we could back our coach (attention players and parents) we would have a decent team. Les Trimble was a great coach and person too but he let the players and parents run that team. That was some teams that underachieved if you really know what that word means.:Thumbs:
Glad to see you open your eyes a little Eagle EYE!!
Eagle Eye Wrote:I am not making excuses for this team all mighty knowledgable Nike Man. This team (if you call it that) has underachieved. I think that Jesse Meek was not shown the door but he left on his own. I know that he begged to come back but Starns would not budge. I would like you to explain where Starns has not made adjustments. He likes to press but knew he could not beat Paintsville running up and down the court. So what did he do? Slowed it down? I think that is what you call an adjustment all mighty one. I like Jesse and I like Coach Starns but I love this school and I will call it as I see it. You have your opinion and I will have mine. The bottom line is if we could back our coach (attention players and parents) we would have a decent team. Les Trimble was a great coach and person too but he let the players and parents run that team. That was some teams that underachieved if you really know what that word means.:Thumbs:
I can be all mighty knowledgable if you want me to. Be glad to fill that void in your life. :Thumbs:
It's just like any other school, when you're winning it's goin good, when you're not it's a train wreck. From a parent's point of view(and mine have played before), you either let the coach be the coach (that includes parents, players, and school personal) or you put in a puppet who will dance for you, until everyone gets on the same side of the fence you're gonna have trouble, and all that happens in the end is kids get hurt and parents get angry.
Bottom line, keep the politics out of the gym, keep the parents yaps shut and let Starns do what he was hired to do, bring this group together as a team and let them play team ball IMO.
Nike Man Wrote:I can be all mighty knowledgable if you want me to. Be glad to fill that void in your life. :Thumbs:

Unlike you I am full up of knowledge on my school!! I usually don't go around trashing other programs like you do!!:Thumbs:
Lefty Wrote:It's just like any other school, when you're winning it's goin good, when you're not it's a train wreck. From a parent's point of view(and mine have played before), you either let the coach be the coach (that includes parents, players, and school personal) or you put in a puppet who will dance for you, until everyone gets on the same side of the fence you're gonna have trouble, and all that happens in the end is kids get hurt and parents get angry.
Bottom line, keep the politics out of the gym, keep the parents yaps shut and let Starns do what he was hired to do, bring this group together as a team and let them play team ball IMO.

Well said!!!:Thumbs:
Perfect post Lefty!
I agree 100% with you Lefty.Let Starns and the rest of the coaching staff do their job!!! :thumpsup:
cardsfan Wrote:I agree 100% with you Lefty.Let Starns and the rest of the coaching staff do their job!!! :thumpsup:

Someone on here earlier stated that Starnes will not let the other coaches do their job. During their game Tuesday night, some fellow Eagle posters said that the assistant coaches asked Starnes to take out McCarty but totally ignored him. Maybe when the coaches get on track first, then the players get in sync, maybe we can right the ship and make a good run towards the end of the year.
An assistant coach's job is just that to assist, they make recommendations, observations, and have assigned duties, the Head Coach has the option after listening to make the call, one way or another that is why he is a head coach. If assistant coaches are talking, saying I would do this or would have done that, then they should be replaced or relieved of their duties. A coaching staff is there to support the coach and the team. Im not saying that an assitant said anything, but BIGBLACK you said you had read it several post that assistants had asked that a player be taken out. So where did they get the information from an assistant or a player who wanted in.

All coaches tend to be viewed as great when they are winning, everyone is happy, but when you drop games the rumbling starts JCHS is no different than most other schools.
You hang a banner for them as coach of the year, the next year you just want ot hang him.
JMO
Doc Holliday Wrote:Im not saying that an assitant said anything, but BIGBLACK you said you had read it several post that assistants had asked that a player be taken out. So where did they get the information from an assistant or a player who wanted in.

I got my information from posters on here. Who knows, it could have been a player on here that posted it, all I was repeating like I said in my last post was that it was stated on here. If you are so curious to find out which member said it I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find it.
I decided to make it easy on you, from the Johnson Central/Paintsville thread, the last page towards the top. Eaglehoops made the following comment "Just judging Starns' body language I think he tells him to take it to the rim more and not settle for the 3, which he likes to do. Thats just what I am seeing watching Starns. Also, I have heard myself from the pep section the Asst. Coaches telling Starns to take him out of the game that he just won't listen but he never takes there advice. I thought they were there to help."
They are there to help but not make final the final call.

As far as who said it I could care less, my point is a simple one, assistants offer opinions, it's the Head mans job to decide to go with them or not. You say you heard an assitant say "take him out" then simply say it.I only asked if an assistant was talking to parents and boosters, if they are then the program has a real problem.

You made it a point that maybe the coaches need to get on track then the players could get in sync.

I have watched several programs struggle due to incidents just as you described, seen many middle school coaches make comments about how they would do this or that if they were coach. When you have those things happen it acts as a cancer, and often ends with someone getting removed.
Doc Holliday Wrote:You say you heard an assitant say "take him out" then simply say it.I only asked if an assistant was talking to parents and boosters, if they are then the program has a real problem.

You made it a point that maybe the coaches need to get on track then the players could get in sync.

I have watched several programs struggle due to incidents just as you described, seen many middle school coaches make comments about how they would do this or that if they were coach. When you have those things happen it acts as a cancer, and often ends with someone getting removed.

I agree totally with what you have said. But I never said I heard an assistant say "take him out", if I did in fact hear it I would have stated it. I'm going on what eaglehoops said, he was there, I was not.
Starns is the head coach and should make the calls. If the Asst. Coach is not there to serve, he should go. A classy Asst. Coach will voice his opinion in practice, and only offer advice when asked in a game. IMO, we have to many Assts. and one in particular should still be on the radio.

Get off Starns back and let him do his job!
They went nowhere last year fast too....then they went to Rupp fast!!! Starnes has forgot more basketball than anyone on here knows!!!
Here are some facts for you...
1. Starns is the head honcho.
2. Starns has a ship load of talent on this years team.
3. JCHS Admin. will show him the door, like he did Jessie, if he has too many bad years like this one.

Come on, If his team is loosing, it is placed on HIS shoulders. Talent is there, but not being utilized. When that happens, to all you Eagle fans hold on to your panties........ITS THE COACHES LACKING!! and when that happens at JCHS, YOU GET REPLACED... thats what they are known for. (History proves itself)

Someone should of let Starns in on that unspoken policy before he hung up his video camera and relocated here..
Untill JC learns that it is the Head Coaches Job to run the Basketball Team, this is the way it will always be. You have to let the man do his job like it or not and no matter who he plays. I know there are a few more programs but these were just the first 3 that popped into my head. Look at Clay Co., Allen Central and Paintsville. They leave their Coaches alone and let them run the show for many years. But, no matter what they stick with them, Thick and Thin, Win or Loose. Teams will go through some tough times and so will Coaches. Coach will make some poor choices at times and he will make some Great choices at times. But, it is just a whole lot harder to make the Great Choices with the pressure that is placed upon your shoulders, when you are continuously hearing whispers in your ear from people besides the Assitant Coaches. Coach Starnes is a Good Coach. He was left alone last year and look what he accomplished. He also has some Very Good YOUNG talent on that bench. JC will be fine in the near future. IF Coach is left alone. Just wait and see.
wetones45 Wrote:The Johnson Central Golden Eagles have lost 8 in a row and alot of people are disappointed including myself. They are 4-9 and was expected to be on top of the region again. Alot of people say that Coach Starns is running the boys off, since he didnt let Jesse Meek come back they havent been able to win for the exeption of SC and East Carter. Meek was the most exiting player to watch on the Squad and layed in all out on the floor, so on the behalf of Johnson Countians, STUPID MOVE STARNS. There are a number of kids no-longer playing
Justin Blanton, Tommy Taylor, Zac Sargent, Coty Conley and the list goes on.
Please Starns get Meeks back and continue the winning ways,
Was Meeks the TEAM
JC needs to get Ian Welch the ball more, Crum needs to drive the lane more often, they need to start helpin Welch out on the boards, the kid can't do it himself. Starnes needs to sit McCarty's rear on the bench until he decides he wants to be a team player, he can still get 20 points a game without shootin the ball 30 times. McCarty needs to learn how to play basketball on the defensive side of the court and quit worryin how many points he's gonna get. Whitaker needs to get a few more shots, he can shoot if you give him a chance (I'm suprised his daddy hasn't took care of that yet). As for Meeks, he was a hot head and Starnes made the right choice in suspendin him. Murray has showed that he can do some damage on the offensive side of the ball when he gets a chance, but McCarty would rather make a name for himself. There are alot of things wrong at JC and it all starts with Starnes and McCarty.
Redneck Wrote:JC needs to get Ian Welch the ball more, Crum needs to drive the lane more often, they need to start helpin Welch out on the boards, the kid can't do it himself. Starnes needs to sit McCarty's rear on the bench until he decides he wants to be a team player, he can still get 20 points a game without shootin the ball 30 times. McCarty needs to learn how to play basketball on the defensive side of the court and quit worryin how many points he's gonna get. Whitaker needs to get a few more shots, he can shoot if you give him a chance (I'm suprised his daddy hasn't took care of that yet). As for Meeks, he was a hot head and Starnes made the right choice in suspendin him. Murray has showed that he can do some damage on the offensive side of the ball when he gets a chance, but McCarty would rather make a name for himself. There are alot of things wrong at JC and it all starts with Starnes and McCarty.

Great post Redneck, shooting your wrist off in an attempt to lead the team in scoring every game is selfish. Sure if you can put up 30pts a game, why not? Colleges like kids that can get their teammates into the game, help them become better in the process you'll make you're team better. No defense, but the Welch kid is an excellent post player...Crum, like everyone has stated, needs to drive to set himself up and draw double-teams in order to leave a man with the open shot. Simple fundamentals would help this team tremendously.
Red Neck I agree with you on your post. JC would be a great team if they played like a team.

Most of the problems you mention were inherited by Starnes. He is dealing with them so lets give him time. The JC program was not in good shape when he got here and he did something most JC coaches have not done, and that is win the Region. The team this year is talented, but young. He had problems when he came in, and had to take on some Asst. Coaches that were here, but over all, I think he is making progress.
JC Cheer Fan Wrote:Red Neck I agree with you on your post. JC would be a great team if they played like a team.

I'm just waitin for brokencard and cardsfan to start *****in and start that crap about me bein "jealous" of McCarty Rolleyes . I know there are ALOT of JC fans who agree with me cause I have talked to a bunch in person.
Ok, Redneck what would you do besides cut McCarty's shots back and what players would you use to achieve more victories? I can't wait for your response!! :lmao:
cardsfan Wrote:Ok, Redneck what would you do besides cut McCarty's shots back and what players would you use to achieve more victories? I can't wait for your response!! :lmao:

Doesn't matter if you cut shots back, not play him, or forfeit every game...this team has too many issues to win anything.
cardsfan Wrote:Ok, Redneck what would you do besides cut McCarty's shots back and what players would you use to achieve more victories? I can't wait for your response!! :lmao:

Once again you have failed to read the ENTIRE post or you just didn't understand it. Cuttin McCarty's shots wasn't the ONLY thing I said was it, NO it wasn't. Get Ian Welch the ball more, Crum needs to drive the lane more often, Whitaker and Murray need to get more shots. There are alot of things that need to be done.