•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newport Central Catholic @ Shelby Valley 11/28 2A Semi Finals
IMO.At this point in the playoffs they are no bad team . One team may be better than the other. One team may have played a weaker schedule than the other but The teams that are left playing in the state semi finals have won there region. They are there because the blood ,swet and tears they have endured throughout the year. NCC may have played a tougher schedule than Valley but that don't change the fact that Shelby Valley is here for a reason. They won the games they had to win . I don't know enough about NCC to get on here and talk down about there team but I do know this Shelby Valley team . If you think you are in for a cake walk your badly mistaken . They are no quit in these kids . They will keep pounding the football on the offfence and will bust you in the mouth every play on deffence. I think this will be a lot better football game than most think . My Wildcats have been the underdog all year and we welcome being the underdog again .
This game is only about SV and LCC! When it comes to playoff time throw everything out the window. Its all about who plays ball each Fri night. I have no clue who will win but i will be in the stands praying for a clean game and my SV wildcats to win!! Good luck boys! You can do this!
You men really act childish by letting your control a good conversation! Be nice its about the kids having a good time and making memories. :Cheerlead
sstack Wrote:I would not label their schedule as "tough". Two good 1A teams that if you are a good 2A team then you should beat them. The only other decent team is a down Danville team. And of course SV.
The only close thing to compare NCC/SV would be a common opponent of NKY/EKY teams in LCA. Walton Verona beat LCA by 13 and SV beat them by 11. Walton was beaten twice in close games by Newport and Newport got hammered by NCC. Comparisons between teams does not always prove anything, but I do think it shows SV is not head and shoulders better than NCC and if anything NCC might be favored.

At least you not making the "running clock" claim. Are you not originally from the NKY area ?!?

Confusednicker:
I'm going to wait until later in the week to give my breakdown of the game, but everyone is kidding themselves if they think there will be a running clock, not going to happen for either team.
Last time I know that they played Pikeville they won. Have no idea who they have played down there since then. I am not prejudiced at all. I just get sick of people claiming that NKY doesn't respect the mountain teams and then in the same breath throw out country boy can survive crap. NewCath will respect SV, they will go down there to dominate. I would have to believe that SV is going in w the same mentality.
Good points in this thread. Getting ur head beat in by good teams shows how bad u are, beating bad teams by 10 shows the same thing. However, the bad teams ncc played, they beat pretty easily. NCC wins 35-7.
Shelby Valley has made a run that their school, community, and most importantly players should be very very proud of. But I believe that their ride ends here, I know Newsome has a significant injury to his leg and it's going to limit or maybe even stop him from playing in this game.

I'm going with NCC by 12
oneijoe Wrote:At least you not making the "running clock" claim. Are you not originally from the NKY area ?!?

Confusednicker:

Still in NKY. Never made running clock claim, do not think this NCC team is all that good and do not know enough about SV to make that claim. I simply pointing out schedules each has played, neither has show from games played that either should whip the other. Would not be surprised if NCC won big, but that is just going by past success against that region.
Spud6 Wrote:Shelby Valley has made a run that their school, community, and most importantly players should be very very proud of. But I believe that their ride ends here, I know Newsome has a significant injury to his leg and it's going to limit or maybe even stop him from playing in this game.

I'm going with NCC by 12

Who is Newsome, sorry not familiar enough with SV?
Football fan 0 Wrote:IMO.At this point in the playoffs they are no bad team . One team may be better than the other. One team may have played a weaker schedule than the other but The teams that are left playing in the state semi finals have won there region. They are there because the blood ,swet and tears they have endured throughout the year. NCC may have played a tougher schedule than Valley but that don't change the fact that Shelby Valley is here for a reason. They won the games they had to win . I don't know enough about NCC to get on here and talk down about there team but I do know this Shelby Valley team . If you think you are in for a cake walk your badly mistaken . They are no quit in these kids . They will keep pounding the football on the offfence and will bust you in the mouth every play on deffence. I think this will be a lot better football game than most think . My Wildcats have been the underdog all year and we welcome being the underdog again .

Here we go again, everytime someone plays a team in EKY they bring this up. Does the rest of the state play touch football?
Ncc 42
sv 13
NewCath lost at Paintsville in 1998, which was as far back as I cared to look. Since then, the losses have come to teams like Beechwood, Ft. Campbell, and Danville, usually late in the playoffs or in the finals. I don't see this NewCath team coming out on top in December, but I do see them in Bowling Green again. Shelby Valley brings to mind a lot of what I remember hearing from teams in Harlan County, Whitley County, and Sheldon Clark when Highlands came to town in the past few years. Lots of big talk up front, then "Man, I think we're in trouble" when they see the speed and precision up close and personal. (This was a direct quote from the guy standing behind me at Whitley in 2008 after watching Austin Collinsworth take a kickoff back for a TD.) This ain't your typical NewCath team, but I suspect they've got enough in the tank for a 12-20 point win.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Cannon Still Roars.....
sstack Wrote:Who is Newsome, sorry not familiar enough with SV?

Shelby valleys all-state OLB. He's a player. Could probably start for any defense in 2A and almost went to belfry to play a couple years ago. He's the real deal.
Took a tough shot Friday night and is hurt but I've heard from several people that he will be suiting up and playing but I'm not sure.
Hopefully valley pulls this one out. NCC is definitely going to be tough one though.
Good luck to both teams and for no injuries
Real Badman Wrote:I'm not sensitive to any stereotype. As far as the "kicking your ass" comment, 1) I'm not a Shelby Valley supporter in anyway shape or form. 2) I believe the last time Newport Central Catholic traveled down to Pike County, they came back with a loss. Confidence is a fun thing, but however, prejudiced as you are, I'm sure you'll enjoy the lovely scenery in beautiful Pike County, Kentucky. Make sure to buy a knickknack while you're here.
I think the semi state trophy will be a great knickknack to bring back to NKY.
sstack Wrote:Still in NKY. Never made running clock claim, do not think this NCC team is all that good and do not know enough about SV to make that claim. I simply pointing out schedules each has played, neither has show from games played that either should whip the other. Would not be surprised if NCC won big, but that is just going by past success against that region.

Which is why I pointed out you didn't. As a matter of fact, I think you've expressed yourself very reasonably (unlike the original NKY poster who made the running clock call right after the thread's start).

:Thumbs:
sstack Wrote:Who is Newsome, sorry not familiar enough with SV?

His name is Andrew Newsome#85 TE/LB.

He is an intricate part of this time whether it be blocking or letting their QB literally just throw it up for grabs and letting Newsome go get it across the middle.
30 going on 40 Wrote:Last time I know that they played Pikeville they won. Have no idea who they have played down there since then. I am not prejudiced at all. I just get sick of people claiming that NKY doesn't respect the mountain teams and then in the same breath throw out country boy can survive crap. NewCath will respect SV, they will go down there to dominate. I would have to believe that SV is going in w the same mentality.

Country boys can survive. We can skin a buck and run a trout line.
After watching some NCC game footage here is my opinion.
*NCC is quick and has a great O-line
*Key players - #23 Nate Enslen - Great hands and speed, made some great catches against Newport.
#3 Jacob Smith - Playmaker is what comes to mind, Great speed and versatility. Can cut on a dime and make something out of busted play.
*NCC D-line looks to be average, maybe slightly above average (reminds me of Somersets strong athletic line) tho I did spot some weakness on the defense. With that being said, here are the things SV needs to do if they want a chance at going to state.
Sv - Needs to limit fumbles (NCC will capitalize)
Get the ball to the outside (seems to be the weakness in their D) I see Kasey Tackett having a BIG game if he can continue getting to the outside.
Tho SV doesn't throw the ball much Short routes like screens 5-n-outs or quick slants will get them easy 5 yards as it seems NCC Db's like a 8-10 yard cushion, that will keep NCC on thier toes and out of the box for Sv's run game to take over
Containing #3, if he gets to the outside he's as good as gone also #23 needs to be played tightly due to his great hands and speed.
Hit low and wrap up, NCC is fast and can break arm tackles easily.

I love my Wildcats but if SV cant do this I see NCC big, but if they come to play, this will be another GREAT game to watch

I think SV will come to play, they have nothing to lose and everything to gain
SV-20
NCC-18
I'm a little puzzled by that fact that ALOT of people on here said they thought prestonsburg would be playing for a state title this year, they would've had to play NCC to get there. But after valley beats prestonsburg, people now think valley has no chance? Shelby Valley is a good football team. Prestonsburg is a good football team. I honesty think Prestonsburg would beat NCC also. I'm not saying NCC isn't a great opponent because I believe they are. I just think Shelby Valley will be a little too much this year. There will be no running clock in this one. On either side.
30 going on 40 Wrote:Last time I know that they played Pikeville they won. Have no idea who they have played down there since then. I am not prejudiced at all. I just get sick of people claiming that NKY doesn't respect the mountain teams and then in the same breath throw out country boy can survive crap. NewCath will respect SV, they will go down there to dominate. I would have to believe that SV is going in w the same mentality.

The last time Newport Central Catholic played a game in Pike County, they lost to the Belfry Pirates., and besides, IMO that is one of the weaker Pikeville teams I've saw in my years of being around Football in 2005. Besides nobody said anything about Pikeville. Chief, you're pretty prejudice. You claimed without any knowledge that I was indeed a Shelby Valley fan. From your rhetoric you also went on to assume I am some poor hillbilly without any teeth who must live in a trailer up a street with a dirt road. Two false statements in which you "pre judged" me. That is the definition of prejudice. I'm pretty knowledgeable about NKY football. As you can see I clearly picked Newport Central Catholic to win the game. I still believe they will, but by a smaller score than predicted.
Real Badman Wrote:The last time Newport Central Catholic played a game in Pike County, they lost to the Belfry Pirates.

When was this?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Can you dig it? Wrote:When was this?

Pike County Bowl 2006
sstack Wrote:I am not a NCC fan by a long shot, and I agree they did not win any games against good, higher rated teams with Newport being their best wins. However, playing those games means they are not going into this game against any better competition than they have already seen and will be prepared. Keep trying to spin the Somerset team anyway you want to but the fact is "this year" they are bad. I do not care if games were close or not they are bad. With the watered down playoffs, there are a lot of bad teams ranked in the top 15; LCA being ranked does not make them good. Those teams in your way of thinking might be good in their area, but in talking about the entire state and playing for state championship, they are bad this year. I not going to say NCC comes down there and destroys SV, because I do not believe they are very good this year. They have improved from start of year, but a lot of that is the teams they have been playing.
Fact is NCC played tougher schedule but did not win any of those tough games; will this make them better prepared? SV played a weak schedule and won the games; will this have them prepared for later rounds of playoffs when they start to see better quality teams they have not seen all year?

I suppose you and I have a different concept of what constitutes a "bad" team. It seems that in your opinion, if a team is not contending for the state title, then they are a "bad" team. I disagree. You can be a "good" team and still not be good enough to win the state championship. That is what I was saying about teams like LCA and Prestonsburg. One has been in the top 15, and the other in the top 10 in their class all year. In my book, that makes them a "good" team, if not necessarily an "elite" team. I would consider another 2A team beating LCA a solid win, and beating Prestonsburg is a good win. If you feel differently then that's your prerogative.

The funny thing is that you said yourself that NewCath is not very good this year. I disagree completely, I think they are a VERY GOOD team. That is why they are playing in the state semifinal, and have an excellent chance to play for a state title. In my book, that makes them "very good".

And I agree about the schedules. NCC clearly played a tougher schedule than SV. Does that mean anything for this Friday? I don't know the answer to that.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
sstack Wrote:I would not label their schedule as "tough". Two good 1A teams that if you are a good 2A team then you should beat them. The only other decent team is a down Danville team. And of course SV.
The only close thing to compare NCC/SV would be a common opponent of NKY/EKY teams in LCA. Walton Verona beat LCA by 13 and SV beat them by 11. Walton was beaten twice in close games by Newport and Newport got hammered by NCC. Comparisons between teams does not always prove anything, but I do think it shows SV is not head and shoulders better than NCC and if anything NCC might be favored.

I would definitely label Somerset's schedule as "tough". Pulaski Co and Southwestern, two teams that have been rated in the top 5 in class 5A most of the season is not tough enough for you? Add another 5A school in Letcher Central, a team which ended up winning their district and was ranked in the top 15 in their class. Then a 3A team in Pike Central, another top 10 ranked 2A team in Glasgow, and a top 10 ranked 1A team in Hazard. On top of that a district schedule with Danville, LCA, and Middlesboro. I don't see a single bad team on their schedule.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
sstack Wrote:Here we go again, everytime someone plays a team in EKY they bring this up. Does the rest of the state play touch football?

This has nothing to do with north,south,east or west football . I'm just stating the facts . Shelby Valley is a hard nosed punch you in the face Run it down your throat football team . This has nothing to do were there located . Man you need to go have your mommy wipe your A$@ and quit being so judge mental about everything that you don't agree with you think what you want and I'll do the same . As far as the game goes . Will see Friday night who's right .
Football fan 0 Wrote:This has nothing to do with north,south,east or west football . I'm just stating the facts . Shelby Valley is a hard nosed punch you in the face Run it down your throat football team . This has nothing to do were there located . Man you need to go have your mommy wipe your A$@ and quit being so judge mental about everything that you don't agree with you think what you want and I'll do the same . As far as the game goes . Will see Friday night who's right .

To my knowledge this has actually happened once, and that was Rockcastle over Highlands in 2002 by a 45-6 score. That was smashmouth, run it down your throat football, and Boyle shut them down the following week. It can happen, but the shelf life on it is like a mayo based potato salad sitting in the sun on a hot day. When it goes bad, it goes bad fast, and then the only hope is the bucket brigade.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Do you seriously think Somerset was your typical, sad-sack winless team? They are a traditional power who just last season took NewCath to double overtime in the state semi's. This season, they played a tough schedule with a young team and lost some very close games.

I would wager that most folks from around the state were picking Somerset to win that first-round game against Valley.

We're not talking about last year, we're talking about this year. Somerset was down this year and SV's 20-10 win over them, is not impressive, by any means.
Onespiritedfan Wrote:We're not talking about last year, we're talking about this year. Somerset was down this year and SV's 20-10 win over them, is not impressive, by any means.

Valley's win over prestonsburg Friday night was a better win than any win that NCC has this year. Yea they played a tough schedule. But in those games that were against these good teams, they didn't even compete in? They were beaten pretty easily in several of them as cowbell showed earlier. Name a better win NCC had against a team better than Prestonsburg.
Is NCC the big bad wolf?? Are they the freakin Monstars? I think SV runs about 30 mins of clock and beat NCC 30-21.
  •  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next