Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Russell
15.00%
Ashland
85.00%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell @ Ashland 9/12
Jeepman Wrote:No not at all. I have lived here only 15 years. I had no idea that this type of behavior existed. I guess if another team is doing something wrong and violates the rules of the game and Ashland has knowledge of it they should turn then in. What I don't understand is why a storied program like Ashland would not just stay out of it. I guess I would say that it is honorable that the other teams in the are take the high road.

Ashland did, in fact, turn in Fairview to KHSAA just as they repeatedly turned in Rose Hill and other area schools to KHSAA. You say you don't understand why Ashland (you also call them a "storied program" but fail to add that Ashlanders make up all the stories) wouldn't just stay out of the "politics".

The answer to that is easy. Ashland, for many years, was king of the area because it was so much larger than all the other area schools. Even in those days, there were "matriculations" of athletes from area schools (Holy Family is an excellent example of this) to play at Ashland. However, the other schools, even little old Rose Hill in the Mayo days and even thereafter, caught Ashland and even passed Ashland for a time. Now, Ashland is merely another area schools seeking to compete. It is hard for the king to realize that his crown is now made of maroon construction paper and duct tape. Ashland, when honest, knows that it scares no one anymore- not even its neighbors.

For example, after Clark County left the 16th Region and no longer ruled the region, Ashland became the annual favorite to go to the state tournament. Ashland hasn't been to the state tournament in 12 years and the outlook is bleak for the coming season.

Did and does Ashland turn in its rivals with each opportunity? Absolutely. Do I know it for a fact? Absolutely, as do most others who are students of history. I am now located "up north" and my loyalties are with schools in this area as well as all private schools. Nonetheless, I spent a number of my early years in the Ashland area and I am well educated in the past and present of the continuing drama that is Ashland vs. Everyone Else.

Again, I do not mean to offend Ashlanders. I just want to add a little realism to the fantasy.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:I'm sure it is one with an impecable moral record.

There are none in your area. But, some tend to shy from the straight and narrow more than do others. But, don't ever doubt that they all shy when opportunity presents itself.
Mr. E. Mann Wrote:Academics...is over rated at Russell. Academic team is staged. Been to several academic dramas...amazing how Russell knows all the answers way before the question is even half way finished. State needs to look into that. Like I stated in an earlier post...Ashland and Russell are married cousins.

This is a stupid statement and downright offensive. These kids work as hard as the football team, and are now "taking their talents" to Vanderbilt, Cornell, Rice, UK (full academic ride), and Centre, Brown to name a few. Don't trust a red devil on how good the academics are, trust the ACT scores and the kentucky ranking system. Ashland very loooowwww, Russell, very High.
On the same token, FTH has long passed everyone in football, but don't dismiss Ashland in basketball, soccer, baseball, softball. They do better than everyone else in the area. But, to hear them say it, it does get old.
Did and does Ashland turn in its rivals with each opportunity? Absolutely. Do I know it for a fact? Absolutely, as do most others who are students of history. I am now located "up north" and my loyalties are with schools in this area as well as all private schools. Nonetheless, I spent a number of my early years in the Ashland area and I am well educated in the past and present of the continuing drama that is Ashland vs. Everyone Else.

Again, I do not mean to offend Ashlanders. I just want to add a little realism to the fantasy.[/QUOTE]

So where is your proof. You claim that you speak facts. If Ashland turned Fairview and other schools in for wrong doing, then surely a man of your stature wouldn't make such accusations without proof.
Knowing that you spent years in the Ashland area makes your dislike for the area make little more sense. Either you wanted to be a tomcat and just wasn't good enough or you where on the receiving end of a drumming by Ashland. Bout time to get past it don't ya think.
Now back to the game.
Ashland 42
Russell21
Ashland has too many players who can make a small gain turn into a huge gain. Russell has been a great program for a lot of years, but this is not the year for them to beat Ashland.

Tomcats-44
Red Devils-18
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:Oh you just opened a whole can of worms.

Sorry about opening a can of worms. Well back to the game for me. I'm looking forward to seeing the new stadium. I know Russell really likes playing there and I'm hoping for that upset of the year with or without Russell's best player.
If Ashland decides to get the ball to Baker then they will crush Russell, if not then it might be a close game (close being 10 pointer).

By the way, Little Patchy Boy, you can private message me all you want. I will never open anymore of your filth. Nice to be cussed over and over. I will continue to inform my facebook friends and Bluegrass Rivals of how you love to bash kids. Little man you have some real issues in life. One thing to bash a coach, program or parent but kids...seriously, real issues. Don't lie and say you haven't, anyone can go back through your post as Patch or Cat Scratch Fever. My best guess is that you didn't realize you were logged on as Cat Scratch Fever when you sent me that PM. Thanks for the confirmation. Come to Westwood sometime. I'm sure they would love to see the scum that has bashed their players over the last 4-5 years.

TJ would love to win this game but he is more concerned with the over all big picture of building Russell back to being a power house. In a few short years Russell will steam roll about everyone they play.

BITW
Baker is only really a threat once he has gotten past the linebackers. After that there isn't much catching him. He's not a tackle breaker but he will spin to the left, juke to the right. Russell's linemen will have to step up this week in order to shut the running lanes down. Korzep may be out. Still undetermined. They may keep him rested up till a district game.
tomcat4life Wrote:Did and does Ashland turn in its rivals with each opportunity? Absolutely. Do I know it for a fact? Absolutely, as do most others who are students of history. I am now located "up north" and my loyalties are with schools in this area as well as all private schools. Nonetheless, I spent a number of my early years in the Ashland area and I am well educated in the past and present of the continuing drama that is Ashland vs. Everyone Else.

Again, I do not mean to offend Ashlanders. I just want to add a little realism to the fantasy.

So where is your proof. You claim that you speak facts. If Ashland turned Fairview and other schools in for wrong doing, then surely a man of your stature wouldn't make such accusations without proof.
Knowing that you spent years in the Ashland area makes your dislike for the area make little more sense. Either you wanted to be a tomcat and just wasn't good enough or you where on the receiving end of a drumming by Ashland. Bout time to get past it don't ya think.
Now back to the game.
Ashland 42
Russell21[/QUOTE]

You are wearing your maroon glasses again, tomcat4life. I regret many things I have done or failed to do in life. Wanting to be a "tomcat" is certainly not one of them.

If you need for me to provide proof for you, it tells me that you are not informed as to the "politics" of athletics in your area. Knowledgeable people know Ashland is the usual whiner in regard to contacting KHSAA with its "grievances". On occasion, it is Russell but usually your boys. I have, in the past, had access to a lot of the documentation because of my profession. Believe me, I know. You, on the other hand, would not have access to that information. Since I won't disclose what I see as confidential information, you will just have to either believe me or not believe me. That is your choice and, as a maroon "tomcat", I feel sure that you will choose the latter. Of course, there are a goodly number of individuals in your area who know the facts. Find one who can be trusted (you might want to make sure he/she isn't wearing a maroon shirt if you want the truth) and find out for yourself.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:So where is your proof. You claim that you speak facts. If Ashland turned Fairview and other schools in for wrong doing, then surely a man of your stature wouldn't make such accusations without proof.
Now back to the game.
Ashland 42
Russell21

You are wearing your maroon glasses again, tomcat4life. I regret many things I have done or failed to do in life. Wanting to be a "tomcat" is certainly not one of them.

If you need for me to provide proof for you, it tells me that you are not informed as to the "politics" of athletics in your area. Knowledgeable people know Ashland is the usual whiner in regard to contacting KHSAA with its "grievances". On occasion, it is Russell but usually your boys. I have, in the past, had access to a lot of the documentation because of my profession. Believe me, I know. You, on the other hand, would not have access to that information. Since I won't disclose what I see as confidential information, you will just have to either believe me or not believe me. That is your choice and, as a maroon "tomcat", I feel sure that you will choose the latter. Of course, there are a goodly number of individuals in your area who know the facts. Find one who can be trusted (you might want to make sure he/she isn't wearing a maroon shirt if you want the truth) and find out for yourself.[/QUOTE]what you say is mostly true would like to point out though the rose hill situation was a decision of Ashland and Boyd county combined noone ever mentions Boyd refused to play them as well. Also the fairview situation wasn't over the Huntington kids it was an Ashland student who was academically ineligible at Ashland so he transfered to Fairview. Would you want to follow the rules and let another school poach your athletes because of it? So the rose hill situation I kind of agree with you even though the state did find evidence of wrong doing and took the mayo years away. But I don't know why Boyd doesn't get the same scrutiny I guess because they mostly are not competitive. And the fairview situation I agree with the reporting to some extent in the issue in the complaint about playing an academic ineligible student. Also Ashland has lost some kids over the years as well Dikembe Dixon of Scott county comes to mind.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:You are wearing your maroon glasses again, tomcat4life. I regret many things I have done or failed to do in life. Wanting to be a "tomcat" is certainly not one of them.

If you need for me to provide proof for you, it tells me that you are not informed as to the "politics" of athletics in your area. Knowledgeable people know Ashland is the usual whiner in regard to contacting KHSAA with its "grievances". On occasion, it is Russell but usually your boys. I have, in the past, had access to a lot of the documentation because of my profession. Believe me, I know. You, on the other hand, would not have access to that information. Since I won't disclose what I see as confidential information, you will just have to either believe me or not believe me. That is your choice and, as a maroon "tomcat", I feel sure that you will choose the latter. Of course, there are a goodly number of individuals in your area who know the facts. Find one who can be trusted (you might want to make sure he/she isn't wearing a maroon shirt if you want the truth) and find out for yourself.
what you say is mostly true would like to point out though the rose hill situation was a decision of Ashland and Boyd county combined noone ever mentions Boyd refused to play them as well. Also the fairview situation wasn't over the Huntington kids it was an Ashland student who was academically ineligible at Ashland so he transfered to Fairview. Would you want to follow the rules and let another school poach your athletes because of it? So the rose hill situation I kind of agree with you even though the state did find evidence of wrong doing and took the mayo years away. But I don't know why Boyd doesn't get the same scrutiny I guess because they mostly are not competitive. And the fairview situation I agree with the reporting to some extent in the issue in the complaint about playing an academic ineligible student. Also Ashland has lost some kids over the years as well Dikembe Dixon of Scott county comes to mind.[/QUOTE]

I am quite familiar with the "paperwork" involved in both of the Rose Hill investigations. I probably am a bit more informed on those facts than I am the Fairview exploits but that is likely because it involved an eighth grader who was already a nationally known sports figure. That made it interesting.

The facts show that, in what I will call the "Mayo Days", Boyd County was pretty much a gopher for Ashland. Ashland wouldn't play Rose Hill and Boyd County, as usual, followed Ashland's lead. Boyd County always followed Ashland's lead. Actually, Rowan County refused to play Rose Hill although that decision did not effect your district.

I know from a first hand source in the KHSAA hierarchy that Ashland completely "carried the ball" in making accusations on a "weekly basis" concerning Rose Hill. You can believe me or not. That is your choice. Nonetheless, it is true.

Later, with Rose Hill's latest fiasco, Ashland orchestrated the KHSAA investigation into the issues at hand at Rose Hill. The documents indicated that a man with ties to Rose Hill Church gathered and provided the information to indict Rose Hill. However, the evidence also "strongly suggested" that Ashland and its athletic department were major accomplices and actually coordinated the man's efforts.

As for the "Mayo Years", the KHSAA never "took" those years away. I believe the fault found with Rose Hill at that time dealt with the transfer of the Gillum boys from Greenup County. Mayo was not involved although, since most knowledgeable observers agree that he was the finest basketball talent to ever play for a 16th Region team, Ashland was hell bent on getting him sanctioned. It never happened.

As for the present, as all schools recruit students who have no real ties to the school or its programs, you will see a lot of jumping around. Ashland is seeing more and more of it since they are "garnering" more and more "transfers" and since they are no longer a premium program.

As I said earlier, at relevant times, I had a lot of opportunity to see the applicable documents.
Title of this thread indicates it is about the Russell/Ashland football game. Not what I saw or what I heard or who I am when it comes to basketball. Odds are Mr Vonner doesnt live in Northern Ky or hail from Highlands but is just a playful agitater. Even if my hunch is incorrect, why you Ashland fans give him the time of day baffles me.
washed up Wrote:Title of this thread indicates it is about the Russell/Ashland football game. Not what I saw or what I heard or who I am when it comes to basketball. Odds are Mr Vonner doesnt live in Northern Ky or hail from Highlands but is just a playful agitater. Even if my hunch is incorrect, why you Ashland fans give him the time of day baffles me.

Now, washed up, old Harry Rex merely seeks to set the record straight. A little truth is enlightening. I don't ask questions or seek to "agitate". My task is to clear up misstatements, misconceptions, and horse manure. Surely, you prefer the true facts to the spin. But, you are correct on one count. I do not "hail" from Fort Thomas. As I posted earlier, I spent a number of early years in Boyd County before originally relocating to the Bluegrass area. The KHSAA offices were nearby.

Ashland will beat Russell quite easily on Friday night.
Hoping my Devils can pull it off this year! But not convienced they can.
4real Wrote:Hoping my Devils can pull it off this year! But not convienced they can.
Usually the team that is suppose to win and win big struggles to put the other away. Would love for Ashland to crush the devils but don't see it happening. Russell will play as hard or harder in this game then probably any other all season. These games are rarely blowouts and look for this to be close too. To much pride in Russell to let Ashland walk all over them.
I dont think Russell can keep this one inside a 2 score defeat. I will say however, that if you look at what Maynard did at Raceland, he didnt do it over night. Same will be said about Russell. It will take a few years, but TJ will have things back to the way they were in a short period of time. Btw idk when they changed it, but the Russell decal on their helmet is different than i remember. Very classy, imo. Progressive w/o being over the top. If not for missing all of Raceland's games so far, id attend the Kittens/Evils battle. Good luck to both.
Prince, Baker and Long are about as quick as any trio around here and too fast for Russell this Friday. Ashland should take this one about 35-20.
Harry Rex Vonner,
The Ashlandites do not want to hear the truth involving their manipulating administration. Every thing that you have posted has been right on the money. Just go back and read how they defend their actions, quite obvious and comical. Simply put, their posts prove our points.
UK Fan 1988 Wrote:Prince, Baker and Long are about as quick as any trio around here and too fast for Russell this Friday. Ashland should take this one about 35-20.

This may be true but if they aren't used correctly none if it matters :HitWall:
Mr. E. Mann Wrote:Harry Rex Vonner,
The Ashlandites do not want to hear the truth involving their manipulating administration. Every thing that you have posted has been right on the money. Just go back and read how they defend their actions, quite obvious and comical. Simply put, their posts prove our points.

Indeed they do, Mr. E. Mann. They offer no defense or rebuttal because they have none. Some are ignorant of the facts and have bought into the fantasy of Ashland's athletic program being one of integrity and grand accomplishment. Others know the facts but want to spin their tepid defense to preserve the dubious "legend".

You know the facts. I know the facts. We would both gladly move on from the farce but we are always reading all this Ashland fiction and we feel a need for someone to offer the truth.

I still believe that Ashland will easily beat Russell. The game is at Putnam Stadium and that counts for two touchdowns right there. If Bobby Kouns is one of the officials, you can add two more touchdowns to Ashland's advantage.
Harry, Harry, Harry,

All schools have overzealous fans. If you have had a change of residence as you suggest, surely you know this. To constantly make the choice to read the posts of some overzealous Ashland fans and feel the need to be a vigilant bearer of truth however is probably not the actual reason for your posts. I would guess that you have a personal inner dislike for the school and the way for you to feed that monster is to poke at the animals in the cage. You make your statements (however true they may be) in attempt to justify the imbalance that you feel. Life is just too short to harbor these ills, just let it go, move on, because in reality Ashland is no threat to you or yours. I hope you can find some peace.

W.U.
Just another condescending statement by a true elitist Ashlandite. However, it did give me a chuckle. Poke the animals in the cage...classic!
washed up Wrote:Harry, Harry, Harry,

All schools have overzealous fans. If you have had a change of residence as you suggest, surely you know this. To constantly make the choice to read the posts of some overzealous Ashland fans and feel the need to be a vigilant bearer of truth however is probably not the actual reason for your posts. I would guess that you have a personal inner dislike for the school and the way for you to feed that monster is to poke at the animals in the cage. You make your statements (however true they may be) in attempt to justify the imbalance that you feel. Life is just too short to harbor these ills, just let it go, move on, because in reality Ashland is no threat to you or yours. I hope you can find some peace.

W.U.

Thank you for your kind, if a bit condescending, advice, washed up. I appreciate that you admit that I have been a "vigilant bearer of the truth". Since I assume you are a fervent wearer of the maroon and still recognize the truth when it is presented, I will consider my task completed.

And, you are correct. Scott County fans, among others, are a real pain in the butt. Your boys are still at the top of the list but you have competition.
Didnt grow up in Ashland, but my children were/are Tomcats. I am pretty much a realist about things. Would not consider myself zealous. I know where the heavyweigts in our class reside. I also know we were as good as Highlands for a half a couple years ago. We just dont have the total numbers or the right number of mentally tough kids to compete for 4 quarters. I know this and I dont care to state it. Doesnt make me any less of a fan of my son and his teammates. One other question for Harry, I would guess, because my spidy senses are tingling, that you actually had a child enrolled in the Ashland school system at one time, maybe even Paul G Blazer High School? If I am wrong, it must be my defibrilator.
washed up Wrote:Didnt grow up in Ashland, but my children were/are Tomcats. I am pretty much a realist about things. Would not consider myself zealous. I know where the heavyweigts in our class reside. I also know we were as good as Highlands for a half a couple years ago. We just dont have the total numbers or the right number of mentally tough kids to compete for 4 quarters. I know this and I dont care to state it. Doesnt make me any less of a fan of my son and his teammates. One other question for Harry, I would guess, because my spidy senses are tingling, that you actually had a child enrolled in the Ashland school system at one time, maybe even Paul G Blazer High School? If I am wrong, it must be my defibrilator.

Your comparison of Ashland and FTH is good. And, I obviously commend you for your support of your son and his teammates. It would be unfortunate for you to do otherwise. Your honesty is exemplary. Since you didn't grow up in Ashland, you are probably not versed in the history- real or imagined. You should be thankful for that.

And, to answer your question, I have not had a child enrolled in the Ashland system. However, I hope your defibrilator is working well.
Here's my take on the matter. Ashland does do a lot of reporting on other schools. Usually if someone gets a new player Ashland will be the first school to look into it. But in Ashlands defense most all the reporting they have done have been justified. If Ashland has done any phone calling to the KHSAA of a violation it's probably legit. Only the guilty get upset if they are reported.
DevilWatcher Wrote:Here's my take on the matter. Ashland does do a lot of reporting on other schools. Usually if someone gets a new player Ashland will be the first school to look into it. But in Ashlands defense most all the reporting they have done have been justified. If Ashland has done any phone calling to the KHSAA of a violation it's probably legit. Only the guilty get upset if they are reported.
problem being the system has its favorites in Frankfort Ashland Russell Belfry Raceland the state turns and eye to around here a little more so than others as far as transfers are concerned. I root for my alma matter every Friday but the previous statement is pretty much true.
Ashland
As Coach Lefty Driesel once stated, "The NCAA was so upset with the tactics of Kentucky that it put Cleveland State on three year's probation."

That tends to be the way that the KHSAA works in the 16th Region.
Ashland should win