Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Johnson Central 68 Woodford Co. 35
Don Carlo Wrote:Even if they did make this statement how would they know if that was truly the case? The call could have been based on there opinion only since they have nobody on the sidelines during the game. Like Diogenes previously stated the freshman kickoff team was in the entire second half on kickoffs,just about everyone on the team got in on D the second half and the backup QB got snaps in the second half too.
You asked what the WSIP guys thought. I think it is significant that they saw the play in live motion, from a good vantage point where they could see the whole field, and they thought JC intentionally let WC score. And obviously Berkheimmer is a qualified observer and is anything but a biased voice against Central.

That is IF Berkheimmer really said that on the air. We're going on the word of somebody else, so I have no idea if he said it or not. Has anyone else, particularly anyone from JC confirmed that Berkheimmer really said it?
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I have watched the play several more times on iHigh, and the camera does show the kicker running off of the field just before the Woodford player runs behind him in front of the JC bench. The kicker looks back over his shoulder as the Woodford player runs down the sideline to the end zone.

Whether it was just a mental mistake on the kicker's part or not, the conclusion that both the WSIP and Woodford County announcers reached was not unreasonable. I know that the Woodford TV crew was very biased but I don't think Spike Burkheimer has any ax to grind with Johnson Central.

Had the kicker been just a few steps slower getting off the field, the returner might have run over him.

I watched the play in person and one the replay and the return happened in front of the Woodford bench not JC's. The kickoff in question takes place around the 3:32 mark on the replay. You can also tell that this is the one by listening to the Woodford broadcasters. I'm going to run this one by everyone,if this was intentional on the JC and kicker's part why would he run to the opposing teams bench? That would be the last place I would want to go. I believe there was two mistakes made by the kicker. One was obvious, he didn't make any attempt as the safety to bring down the returner and that needs corrected fast. I believe his second mistake was not wanting any physical contact which is a no no in football.

Like I said in a previous post the Woodford people were talking about this kickoff and the mod from the other site was talking about a defensive series. It later became known that he was listening to the WSIP broadcast. I feel this was an opinion by one of the broadcasters and not fact. JC played people in the second half that normally wouldn't have played while Woodford was playing a lot of upper classmen because of it being senior night. Look at the kickoff return for example, the kickoff was returned by junior Michael Rusher against JC's freshman kickoff team. You can see why that has a chance to look and be very ugly.
I agree with you Spike has no ax to grind, he's the best in the business in my opinion.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Dropping interceptions would not have given Jude any more carries, so why would anybody have suggested that the drops were intentional? I think that the accusations that were made were aimed at implying that Johnson Central intentionally extended the game to give Jude more carries and a better chance to break the individual rushing record.

The Woodford people were saying that Johnson Central was trying to get the ball back and at the same time keep the game from a running clock. If Johnson Central was doing this why would they tell some not to tackle but yet tell the db's to go for the ball. If that was the JC strategy you would think that they would just tell the db's to let the Jacket offense score,especially since they throw the ball almost every play. If Johnson Central was wanting to keep the score under the 45 point margin and get more yardage I would think that they would let Woodford score and then get more yardage on field position. It's obvious,in my opinion that wasn't their plan because of the way the young db's were going for the pics. They were very pumped to be on the field and for most of them it was the first time seeing any varsity action.
Buc-a-roo Wrote:You asked what the WSIP guys thought. I think it is significant that they saw the play in live motion, from a good vantage point where they could see the whole field, and they thought JC intentionally let WC score. And obviously Berkheimmer is a qualified observer and is anything but a biased voice against Central.

That is IF Berkheimmer really said that on the air. We're going on the word of somebody else, so I have no idea if he said it or not. Has anyone else, particularly anyone from JC confirmed that Berkheimmer really said it?

That doesn't sound like something Spike would do.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I have watched the play several more times on iHigh, and the camera does show the kicker running off of the field just before the Woodford player runs behind him in front of the JC bench. The kicker looks back over his shoulder as the Woodford player runs down the sideline to the end zone.

Whether it was just a mental mistake on the kicker's part or not, the conclusion that both the WSIP and Woodford County announcers reached was not unreasonable. I know that the Woodford TV crew was very biased but I don't think Spike Burkheimer has any ax to grind with Johnson Central.

Had the kicker been just a few steps slower getting off the field, the returner might have run over him.

Gee Hoot, you must certainly have a lot of extra spare time on your hands to keep worring about a play that you have to watch it over and over and over again, just for the sole purpose of saying I'm right. I swear, one would think that you think that your sole existance on this earth is to find somebody, just anybody, to pick an arguement with when you get out of the bed each morning. By all indications, I have no doubt that you would argue with someone that the green grass is purple, until they get tired of listening, and agree with you just to get you to shut up. Are you sure you are even a Johnson Central fan? You certainly appear not to be one and you really look your life is bent on trying to make either Matney or the program look bad. That's about all you have done for the last week now. So what, even if Matney did do all that he is being accused of, and you are right? What do you win Hoot? You get your name up in lights? Your picture in the paper? Perhaps a trophy? Here's one for you now if it would get you to hush for awhile.:1: You feel like you've conquered the world now? You da man!!!

For God's sake man, give it a break!!! :please:

Again Hoot, even if you are right, please tell us all. WHAT DO YOU WIN????

And the most important question of all is, WHY DO YOU EVEN GIVE A RAT'S PA-TOOTY????
Don Carlo Wrote:I watched the play in person and one the replay and the return happened in front of the Woodford bench not JC's. The kickoff in question takes place around the 3:32 mark on the replay. You can also tell that this is the one by listening to the Woodford broadcasters. I'm going to run this one by everyone,if this was intentional on the JC and kicker's part why would he run to the opposing teams bench? That would be the last place I would want to go. I believe there was two mistakes made by the kicker. One was obvious, he didn't make any attempt as the safety to bring down the returner and that needs corrected fast. I believe his second mistake was not wanting any physical contact which is a no no in football.

Like I said in a previous post the Woodford people were talking about this kickoff and the mod from the other site was talking about a defensive series. It later became known that he was listening to the WSIP broadcast. I feel this was an opinion by one of the broadcasters and not fact. JC played people in the second half that normally wouldn't have played while Woodford was playing a lot of upper classmen because of it being senior night. Look at the kickoff return for example, the kickoff was returned by junior Michael Rusher against JC's freshman kickoff team. You can see why that has a chance to look and be very ugly.
I agree with you Spike has no ax to grind, he's the best in the business in my opinion.
You're right about the kicker running off of the Woodford side of the field. He forgot where his bench was and he forgot that he was supposed to be the last line of defense on the return team. Strange play but freshmen make mistakes.
Bob Seger Wrote:I can remember a time when Hatz in the other world was such a quality poster. Who knows whatever happened to that guy. This imposter is for some reason fanatically obsessed about every little thing that Johnson Central does. Oh, for the days when you could read a Hatz post and not roll your eyes. Perhaps it is the same guy, but the years have not been so kind to him and has just made him bitter and senile.

You've got me pegged. :biggrin:
Bob Seger Wrote:You must certainly have a lot of extra spare time on your hands to keep worring about a play that you have to watch it over and over and over again, just for the sole purpose of saying I'm right. I swear, one would think that you think that your soul existance on this earth is to find somebody, just anybody, to pick an arguement with when you get out of the bed each morning, just so you can say I'm right. By all indications, I have no doubt that you would argue with someone that the green grass is purple, until they get tired of listening, and agree with you just to get you to shut up. Are you sure you are a Johnson Central fan? You certainly appear not to be one and you really look your life is bent on trying to make either Matney or the program look bad. That's about all you have done for the last week now. So what, even if Matney did do all that he is being accused of, and you are right? What do you win Hoot? Your name up in lights? Your picture in the paper? Perhaps a trophy? Here's one for you now if it would get you to hush for awhile.:1: Now you feel you've conquered the world now?

For God's sake man, give it a break!!! :please:

Again Hoot, even if you are right, please tell us all. WHAT DO YOU WIN????

And the most important question of all is, WHY DO YOU EVEN GIVE A RAT'S PA-TOOTY????
I'm not the one making all of the personal attacks, Bob. It seems that you are the one who is constantly looking for an argument.

I never accused Matney of doing anything wrong. All I did was point out that both crews that broadcast the game said the same thing about the play in question and if you watch the video, it is unfair to attack somebody for repeating their reports. The moderator on the other site who made the comment is a friend of Matney's from Belfry and he has always been fair when it came to Johnson Central threads.

Come on, man. Disagree without being disagreeable.
Hatz Wrote:You've got me pegged. :biggrin:
Maybe somebody just hates Virginia and Kentuckians who live here. :biggrin:
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Maybe somebody just hates Virginia and Kentuckians who live here. :biggrin:

Or maybe I'm just an old senile coot now whose bitter? :biggrin:

I still like some Bob Seger songs, just don't play "Old Time Rock n Roll" again or I'll puke. :Thumbs:
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I'm not the one making all of the personal attacks, Bob. It seems that you are the one who is constantly looking for an argument.

I never accused Matney of doing anything wrong. All I did was point out that both crews that broadcast the game said the same thing about the play in question and if you watch the video, it is unfair to attack somebody for repeating their reports. The moderator on the other site who made the comment is a friend of Matney's from Belfry and he has always been fair when it came to Johnson Central threads. Come on, man. Disagree without being disagreeable.
But you sure have made it appear that your life's ambition is to down, question, or criticize everything involved with Johnson Central right now though, haven't you?

Kind of appears now, (with Don Carlo's explanation) that he didn't have a clue as to what he was talking about either. Wouldn't you say?
Hatz Wrote:Or maybe I'm just an old senile coot now whose bitter? :biggrin:

I still like some Bob Seger songs, just don't play "Old Time Rock n Roll" again or I'll puke. :Thumbs:

Yeah, I'll be real honest with you, I'm kind of tired of that one too.
Right now I'm working on my "Night Moves". Got some real high hopes on that for tonight. I'll get back with you and let you know how that work's out.TongueirateSho
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Maybe somebody just hates Virginia and Kentuckians who live here. :biggrin:
What I have noticed is that some of them think they know absolutely everything about everything. You ever meet anybody like that? You run into any of those guys around there anywhere?
Bob Seger Wrote:But you sure have made it appear that your life's ambition is to down, question, or criticize everything involved with Johnson Central though, haven't you?
I have been one of the strongest supporters of JC football on both this site and the "other" one for many years. You have no idea what you are talking about in this area, Bob. And as for Matney, I have been fan since I first met him when he was a wrestler at Belfry. Steve Trimble hit two home runs when he fired Bill Musick and then Jim Matney to coach football at Johnson Central. What happened between was just an unfortunate result of some events beyond his control, IMO.

So, Bob, you really do not know much about me or my support of Johnson County schools over the years, and should try to refrain from making unfounded personal attacks on my character.

Bob Seger Wrote:Kind of apepears now, (with Don Carlo's explanation) that he didn't have a clue as to what he was talking about either. Wouldn't you say?
I am not sure what "he" you are talking about, Bob, but I think that it is fair to give the freshman the benefit of doubt.
Bob Seger Wrote:What I have noticed is that some of them think they know absolutely everything about everything. You ever meet any of those guys around there?
Lots of them, but none who could give you a run for your money in that area, Bob. :biggrin:
Diogenes Wrote:Also, since nobody from Highlands has asked yet, yes we did throw and complete passes this game. In fact the first one went for a TD to Parker. So our offense was balanced like you guys want us to be. Smile

In all seriousness, this crap about refusing to tackle gets old. Freshman kickoff team was in the entire second half on kickoffs. Just about everyone on the team got in on D the second half. Backup QB got snaps in the second half too.

As a side note, I believe Matney also had Jesse Watts set the state record for passing yards single game at Sheldon Clark in the early 90's. Has any coach ever had players set state records for passing AND rushing?

As an HHS backer, we look forward to qualifying for the playoffs again and taking on all comers. If I were JC, I wouldn't look past Covington Catholic or Dixie Heights. Both are capable of going to Paintsville and winning.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I have been one of the strongest supporters of JC football on both this site and the "other" one for many years. You have no idea what you are talking about in this area, Bob. And as for Matney, I have been fan since I first met him when he was a wrestler at Belfry. Steve Trimble hit two home runs when he fired Bill Musick and then Jim Matney to coach football at Johnson Central. What happened between was just an unfortunate result of some events beyond his control, IMO.

So, Bob, you really do not know much about me or my support of Johnson County schools over the years, and should try to refrain from making unfounded personal attacks on my character.

I am not sure what "he" you are talking about, Bob, but I think that it is fair to give the freshman the benefit of doubt.
When he fired Bill Musick? He didn't fire Bill Musick. Musick left to ultimately take over the Fairview School System,(his alma mater) first as coach and principal, then as the Super. You sure you know what your talking about here?

Haha.............Well, OK there. Whatever you say.
How about we just say good job J.J. and move on. As long as Central wins there will always be Matney and Eagle bashers out there. Isn't that the way it goes? If you are a winning team or coach then you are always going to be scrutinized for every play you make or don't make. All I can say is good luck next week and hopefully Central will be the district champs.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Lots of them, but none who could give you a run for your money in that area, Bob. :biggrin:

Your right. I'll be humble about it. I never scored a 30 on my ACT. No doubt about that one there.
Bob Seger Wrote:When he fired Bill Musick? He didn't fire Bill Musick. Musick left to ultimately take over the Fairview School System,(his alma mater) first as coach and principal, then as the Super. And that is what happened. Did it not!!!! You sure you know what your talking about here?

Haha.............Well, OK there. Whatever you say.
"Fired" should have been "hired." Yeah, I am sure that I know what I am talking about. Musick went winless his first season and Steve stuck with him. Prior to that, Johnson County played musical chairs with its football coaches. You caught me making a typo, Bob. Congratulations! :1:
Bob Seger Wrote:Yeah, I'll be real honest with you, I'm kind of tired of that one too.
Right now I'm working on my "Night Moves". Got some real high hopes on that for tonight. I'll get back with you and let you know how that work's out.TongueirateSho

Absolutely love some "Night Moves." (then again, it is Saturday night :biggrinSmile

woke last night to the sound of thunder . . .
Hoot Gibson Wrote:"Fired" should have been "hired." Yeah, I am sure that I know what I am talking about. Musick went winless his first season and Steve stuck with him. Prior to that, Johnson County played musical chairs with its football coaches. You caught me making a typo, Bob. Congratulations! :1:
Then say what you mean son!!!:biggrin:
Bob Seger Wrote:Your right. I never scored a 30 on my ACT. No doubt about that one there.
Real classy, "Bob." Any other private information that you want to share about me, Bob? That is strange that somebody would remember a score that I made on a test that I took as a high school junior more than 30 years ago. How long have you had this obsession with me, Bob? Can you see what I am doing right now?
Hatz Wrote:Absolutely love some "Night Moves." (then again, it is Saturday night :biggrinSmile

woke last night to the sound of thunder . . .
A real classic, if I do say so myself.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Real classy, "Bob." Any other private information that you want to share about me, Bob? That is strange that somebody would remember a score that I made on a test that I took as a high school junior more than 30 years ago. How long have you had this obsession with me, Bob? Can you see what I am doing right now?

You mean you got a 30? Just saying I didn't. That's impressive, being a junior even makes it more so.
Bob Seger Wrote:You mean you got a 30? Just saying I didn't. That's impressive, being a junior even makes it more so.
Sure, Bob. Just a lucky guess. I must have made some impression on you.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Sure, Bob. Just a lucky guess. I must have made some impression on you.

Night Hoot. You just keep showin 'em all who's always right. TongueirateSho
Bob Seger Wrote:Night Hoot. You just keep showin 'em all who's always right. TongueirateSho
:Thumbs: Yes I am an original, Bob. Nobody will ever accuse me of plagarism.
MonsterMan Wrote:Guys let get real here. If any coach has a chance for a kid to set a state record he will let him. Once in a life chance. Matney was subbing in the third series with 5 min to play in the first quarter! He let Woodford score 38 points.

There is some past history here and if I am correct we do not play them next year. Nothing wrong with correcting the balance sheet the last game of the series. But again, you sub in the first quarter and let them score 38 points, how is that all that bad?

If JC has there way this wont be the last game of the series I think it is tomorrow they are going to go before the KHSAA to petition them to stay in 5A even though every district game would be alot farther the reason being by staying in 5A they can avoid two teams Highlands and Bell County which would stand between them and a trip to the state finals. they think they stand a better chance playing in 5A.
16BBall Fan Wrote:If JC has there way this wont be the last game of the series I think it is tomorrow they are going to go before the KHSAA to petition them to stay in 5A even though every district game would be alot farther the reason being by staying in 5A they can avoid two teams Highlands and Bell County which would stand between them and a trip to the state finals. they think they stand a better chance playing in 5A.

Bell Co. will be playing in 3A next year.