Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(#5) Kentucky 68 - (#10) North Carolina 66
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:Duke fans think UK would finish 3rd in the acc I got a good laugh out of that over on rivals

?????
Stardust Wrote:?????
dukes Rivals site
Great day to be a wildcat!!! Grats to the team for beating one heck of a UNC squad. Even after a big lead UNC battled and made a great game of it. UK has a great "will to win" as Coach Cal says. Go Cats bring the same intensity in the first half and beat UConn!!
John Wall is the man!! Go Big Blue!!!!!
stevenson showed he can played but he is too skinny. one thing that i liked was seeing the excitement in all of our ball players. none of our guys got pushed around today all of them played like they deserved to be there. and the wall dunk, the reverse lay up and the oop all was wonderful. GO BIG BLUE!!!!
how about our defense in the paint,,,,some big time blocks around the rim against a big athletic n c team. wall stays in,cousins keeps his head on {and hits 50% free throws} and this thing aint close,. go blue!!!!!!!!
like to add ref's left them boys play all game...good reffed game
IMO one of the biggest plays of the game was when Orton denied Henson's slam. That led to a fast break for us and took away UNC's momentum.
Love to see them run the fast breaks. Great game to watch. waaaaay better on defense and they shot the 3 well as a team. Patterson looked great running the floor and dunking.
good win for the wildcats 8-0
Duke could not stay in front of Kentucky either and they have zero on the inside so I don't want to hear about Duke. UK played well, not perfect. The 28-2 run in the first half was a thing of beauty. Cousins has to realize that he is of no use on the bench. If he focuses his negativity into positive play then we will be fine. Wall is the man. If he does not go out, then the game never gets as close as it did. We saw what a difference there was in UK and UNC when Wall was healthy. The fact that UK held on when there guards were less than 100% was a big deal. Poor Larry Drew looked more like Nancy Drew trying to get in front of Wall. After 5 straight defeats, any win feels good against UNC.
Kentucky is the only team in college to have a women's and men's basketball team undefeated.
AWESOME!!!!! JOHN WALL to the RESCUE!!!

At first i thought we were going to completely blow them out considering the 19 point half time lead we had and the way everybody was just clicking and then when it came to the second half i was a little worried to say the least! But, luckily John Wall came back out and saved us!!

Here's a good article i found about the game:

No. 5 Kentucky 68, No. 10 North Carolina 66
By WILL GRAVES, AP

LEXINGTON, Ky. (AP) — John Wall wasn't going to let anything stop him from playing North Carolina, not even the superstar point guard's biggest fear: needles.

The Kentucky freshman bounced back from a bout with dehydration and a queasy encounter with an IV drip to finish with 16 points - including the clinching free throws with 4.3 seconds left - to lift the No. 5 Wildcats to a 68-66 victory over the 10th-ranked Tar Heels on Saturday.

Wall dominated at times while helping the Wildcats (8-0) build a 19-point first-half lead,then spent 20 anxious minutes in the training room after cramping up. It took a couple of bottles of Gatorade and a bit of teeth grinding by Wall to get back on the floor.

``I hate needles, I was back there having a fit,'' Wall said.

So were his teammates, who almost let a big lead against the defending national champions get away in front of the largest crowd in Rupp Arena history.

Kentucky inched closer to becoming the first program to reach 2,000 victories thanks to some clutch free throw shooting by Wall and fellow freshman Eric Bledsoe. The duo combined to make 5 of 6 in the final 30 seconds after the Tar Heels pulled within 63-61.

``You guys are going to say I'm crazy, but I'm happy with the way it played out,'' said coach John Calipari. ``We let the other team come at us. We gave up way too many (3s) but I'm proud of my guys. We did what we needed to do. We had just enough.''

The win pushed Kentucky's victory total to 1,996, just head of North Carolina's 1,991. Not that the Wildcats were concerned with history.

For a team whose motto is ``envy our past, fear our future,'' the first signature win of Calipari's tenure proved his rebuilding job is well ahead of schedule.

``I hope it just gives people some respect for us that we're a pretty good team,'' Wall said. ``We did what we were supposed to, come out with a win against a great team.''

Consider North Carolina coach Roy Williams convinced, particularly after the Wildcats took control with an explosive 28-2 run in the first half.

``You've got to give them congratulations, they really kicked our butts,'' Williams said. ``They just ran us out of the gym.''

The Wildcats snapped a five-game losing streak to the Tar Heels. Forward Patrick Patterson provided some of the grit, finishing with 19 points and seven rebounds to help Kentucky off to its best start since 1992-93, when the Wildcats won their first 11 games.

``The definition of this team is that we are tough down the stretch,'' Patterson said. ``I still feel we have a long way to go.''

So do the Tar Heels.

Deon Thompson led North Carolina with 14 points and Will Graves added 13.

``We're North Carolina and we can talk all we want about what we're going to do, but when we're out there on the court we have to take care of business,'' said point guard Larry Drew.

The Tar Heels couldn't quite do it, something Williams attributed to his team's inability to stay composed during Kentucky's decisive run.

``We both showed our inexperience,'' Williams said. ``We showed it in the first half and I think they showed it a little bit in the second half.''

After Thompson's jumper from the corner pulled North Carolina within 63-61, Bledsoe shook off several late-game miscues to knock down a pair of free throws. After Graves missed a 3-pointer and the rebound bounced out off bounds, Bledsoe made one of two to make it 66-61.

``I was kind of worked up too much early in the game, but as the game wore on I let the game come to me,'' Bledsoe said.

A tip-in by Thompson pulled Carolina to 66-63, but Wall finished his breakout performance by calmly sinking two free throws with 4.3 seconds left. Graves hit a meaningless 3-pointer at the buzzer, and by then the Wildcats bench had poured onto the floor to celebrate.

Calipari said before the game he was anxious to see how his team responded when it got ``punched in the mouth,'' and still refused to say college basketball's winningest program is back.

``We had 21 turnovers, a couple of times we had guys not knowing what they were supposed to do,'' Calipari said. ``Our execution really stinks right now.''

Maybe, but Kentucky had an answer when things got tight: Give the ball to Wall. He dazzled the NBA scouts in attendance with the kind of playmaking ability that will likely make him a lottery pick next spring if he chooses to leave. Wall finished with seven assists, five rebounds and a handful of spectacular plays.

``We talked about slowing him down,'' Williams said. ``Boy, we didn't do that.''

The win provided redemption of sorts for Wall, a native of Raleigh, N.C., who grew up wanting to play for the Tar Heels. Though North Carolina pursued him throughout high school, the Tar Heels never offered him a scholarship.

It's something Wall said he's over, but Bledsoe knew better after listening to his roommate.

``That's all he talked about when we'd go back to the room,'' Bledsoe said of the days leading up to the game. ``John wanted this game real bad.''
What everybody needs to slow down and think about is, most of this team is 8 games into their college careers. Last season these were high school kids, now theyre beating North Carolina on national television. They will gel. Theyll have ups and downs. Theyll make you scream "That was awesome!", then turn around and make you scratch your heads. The only gripe I have thus far, is that they need to slow down and get into a good rhythm (sp?) rather than trying to make highlight reel plays every play. I thought Wall looked fantastic in the first half, but I thought he played out of control at times too. I liked how they didnt buckle when Carolina got too close, and hit some big shots in an otherwise forgettable second half. All in all, beating North Carolina by any score whether it be 68-66 or 12-10, is fine by me Smile Way to go Cats!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
John Wall is the real deal!! i had to say that..but Cousins was a disappointment..If this team come march plays like they did majority of the first half...they will go to the final four..but they showed in the 2nd half they were freshmen...Congrats Cats
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I think if Wall stays in and if UK would have went down low to Patterson, UK wins by 15+. But I didn't think the game was ever in doubt in the 2nd half. Great game Cats!

I completely agree. No matter how much Carolina cut into the lead it n

ever seemed as though the game was going to get away from the Cats
theVILLE Wrote:John Wall is the real deal!! i had to say that..but Cousins was a disappointment..If this team come march plays like they did majority of the first half...they will go to the final four..but they showed in the 2nd half they were freshmen...Congrats Cats

If john wall never left the game we win big,.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:If john wall never left the game we win big,.

So you all lose one key player and loose a 22 point lead in 4 minutes??
theVILLE Wrote:So you all lose one key player and loose a 22 point lead in 4 minutes??

No.. it was a combination of Wall leaving right as UNC made their patented run, UK having major foul trouble in the paint and at the PG position, and UK going cold from three point land.
theVILLE Wrote:John Wall is the real deal!! i had to say that..but Cousins was a disappointment..If this team come march plays like they did majority of the first half...they will go to the final four..but they showed in the 2nd half they were freshmen...Congrats Cats

And Ville, with you being a Louisville fan, you know disappointment better than all of us
EKUAlum05 Wrote:No.. it was a combination of Wall leaving right as UNC made their patented run, UK having major foul trouble in the paint and at the PG position, and UK going cold from three point land.

Are you kidding me? You are going to try to explain logic to my Louisville friend....:Clap:
Stardust Wrote:And Ville, with you being a Louisville fan, you know disappointment better than all of us
:Clap: Get em Dusty!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Well the card fans have to talk about UK since they have nothing to talk about until the trial begins. That is the only thing that a cardinal might win this year.
Mark 11:23 "For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this MOUNTAIN, `Be removed and be cast into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will come to pass, he will have whatever he says. NKJ
Stardust Wrote:And Ville, with you being a Louisville fan, you know disappointment better than all of us

???ive not been disapointed with my cards the last 5 oe 6 years
Thats the difference you would settle for the last 5 or 6 years.
Mark 11:23 "For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this MOUNTAIN, `Be removed and be cast into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will come to pass, he will have whatever he says. NKJ
EKUAlum05 Wrote:No.. it was a combination of Wall leaving right as UNC made their patented run, UK having major foul trouble in the paint and at the PG position, and UK going cold from three point land.

Ok VILLE had 3 key players out, Foul trouble and went ice cold from 3 point land, and Charollete was on fire from 3..you guys no how it feels to have 3 rained on you from a smaller school!!back to back game the Rupp record was broke!
Stevenson has long been my favorite player at kentucky. I hope this game will get him more minutes. he deserves it he works hard and is a beast on defense. Harris plays with fire and hustles every play this is gonne be a great year.
theVILLE Wrote:So you all lose one key player and loose a 22 point lead in 4 minutes??

The lead was 15 when he left. And yes losing your best player and playmaker killed us. Had he not come back and gave are teammates some confidence say we lose.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:The lead was 15 when he left. And yes losing your best player and playmaker killed us. Had he not come back and gave are teammates some confidence say we lose.

With Cousins on the bench and Bledsoe hurt, I agree with you
OK people get the numbers right. There was never a lead of 21 or 22 as I have read on here. 30-11 was the largest in the first half and the largest it got in the second half was 45-28. Folks the overall lead only shrank a few points when Wall was out. Look at the box score. What was lost was momentum and it took the 'Cats a few possessions to adjust without their floor leader. Wall would have played all 40 IMO if he hadn't got the cramps. He went out and the lead was 15 and when he came back the lead was 12. That was from 18:46 to 11:44. The only other time he came out was for 11 seconds from 8:56 to 8:45. When Wall was out for the long stretch the lead went from 15 to 7(the closest) back to 12. When it was down to seven, UK got back to back buckets to get it back to 11. You could tell Wall was nowhere 100% when he came back in, but he still had enough to lead the cats to victory. As far as Louisville, they get torched on their home floor. Yes they were without some players and so on but who cares. They got blasted. If Wall plays all 40 minutes, IMO, the lead never goes below 10,, and that would have been about the final margin.