Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Channing Fugate
we will see its just a matter of time
To be considered at any major D1 school you have to have the natural tools, size, strenght and speed and Fugate has them or Tennessee would have not signed him. If he works hard he will do fine. What Breathitt has done this year or how he has done playing other teams means nothing, he has the tools.
I think Fugate will have an instant impact on the UT team and see some playing time. I heard he's graduating from BHS and going to UT in Jan to take classes and start off-season workouts with the team. He could easily start at strong safety next year too. He is that good. The difference between Channing and most other top high school players is that he has incredible size, strength and athleticism. He is also very intelligent. The guy scored a 23 composite on the ACT the first time around. The hybrid fullback position that Lane Kiffin intends to use him in at UT will be very good for Channing.

With a break or two and a little bit of luck we could see this guy playing NFL football in a few years at either fullback, outside linebacker, or strong safety. Shaun Alexander was NFL MVP and no doubt the best player and running back to ever come out of the mountains, but do you realize that when Alexander got 3000 yards in a season he had over 400 carries? That is around 7.5 yards per carry. Channing got 3052 yards in just 279 carries. That is almost 11 yards per carry. He also went over 100 tds for his career. The state record is 119. He ran for almost 7000 yards in his career at Breathitt. The state record is around 8000 yards.

This guy is the real deal. Good luck at UT and in the rest of your life Channing. :Thumbs:
Flashman Wrote:I think Fugate will have an instant impact on the UT team and see some playing time. I heard he's graduating from BHS and going to UT in Jan to take classes and start off-season workouts with the team. He could easily start at strong safety next year too. He is that good. The difference between Channing and most other top high school players is that he has incredible size, strength and athleticism. He is also very intelligent. The guy scored a 23 composite on the ACT the first time around. The hybrid fullback position that Lane Kiffin intends to use him in at UT will be very good for Channing.

With a break or two and a little bit of luck we could see this guy playing NFL football in a few years at either fullback, outside linebacker, or strong safety. Shaun Alexander was NFL MVP and no doubt the best player and running back to ever come out of the mountains, but do you realize that when Alexander got 3000 yards in a season he had over 400 carries? That is around 7.5 yards per carry. Channing got 3052 yards in just 279 carries. That is almost 11 yards per carry. He also went over 100 tds for his career. The state record is 119. He ran for almost 7000 yards in his career at Breathitt. The state record is around 8000 yards.

This guy is the real deal. Good luck at UT and in the rest of your life Channing. :Thumbs:
Since when has Boone County ever been in the mountains? Kind of killed your whole post with that one.
Great HS career for this young man. Good luck at UT. I hope he fits into the Kiffin style.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Since when has Boone County ever been in the mountains? Kind of killed your whole post with that one.

There are a couple of hills up here in NKY, maybe not the Mountains......:biggrin:
Flashman Wrote:I think Fugate will have an instant impact on the UT team and see some playing time. I heard he's graduating from BHS and going to UT in Jan to take classes and start off-season workouts with the team. He could easily start at strong safety next year too. He is that good. The difference between Channing and most other top high school players is that he has incredible size, strength and athleticism. He is also very intelligent. The guy scored a 23 composite on the ACT the first time around. The hybrid fullback position that Lane Kiffin intends to use him in at UT will be very good for Channing.

I wish Fugate the best of luck. I think he needs to get in better shape and hit the weights. However he will discover that he really isn't that big in college. It will take alot of hard work and he won't be able to rely on natural ability. However i think with alot of work he will have a good career in college. Maybe not a freshman starter but he will still be playing college ball. I hate to break it to you though but a 23 on the ACT is average. The average ACT score for an incoming freshman at UT is 24. 25 at UK.
http://www.ophs.opusd.k12.ca.us/average_...scores.htm
Stardust Wrote:There are a couple of hills up here in NKY, maybe not the Mountains......:biggrin:

Wise guy!!!:zzz:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Since when has Boone County ever been in the mountains? Kind of killed your whole post with that one.

I should have said out of the state of Kentucky, but I do not see how that was supposed to have killed my whole post when my post was based on facts. You must have some kind of complex to go out of your way to attack other people's posts the way you do. If you do not like my posts then do not read them.:flame:
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Wise guy!!!:zzz:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Hey, we have had people get nose bleeds going up these steep 200 feet grades......:biggrin:
Matman Wrote:I wish Fugate the best of luck. I think he needs to get in better shape and hit the weights. However he will discover that he really isn't that big in college. It will take alot of hard work and he won't be able to rely on natural ability. However i think with alot of work he will have a good career in college. Maybe not a freshman starter but he will still be playing college ball. I hate to break it to you though but a 23 on the ACT is average. The average ACT score for an incoming freshman at UT is 24. 25 at UK.
http://www.ophs.opusd.k12.ca.us/average_...scores.htm

I guess everyone can't be as strong, athletic, and as smart as you are Matman. You are the complete package. I can bet you a 23 is above average with most student athletes at either Tennessee or Kentucky. Channing is one of the best high school football players to come out of the mountains and anyone from the mountains should want a mountain kid to do good on the next level.
Cat Daddy Wrote:I guess everyone can't be as strong, athletic, and as smart as you are Matman. You are the complete package. I can bet you a 23 is above average with most student athletes at either Tennessee or Kentucky. Channing is one of the best high school football players to come out of the mountains and anyone from the mountains should want a mountain kid to do good on the next level.

So how can you take my post and get this out of it. All I added was stats to it. Its rediculous that people live in a dream world. They have Fugate believing he can easily go to UT and start as a freshman. He scores average scores on the ACT and hes a genious. Look i hope he makes it but i'm not going to sugar coat it and say its going to be easy. Hes going to have to work hard. Hes going to have to study hard. He doesn't have so much natural ability that its going to be easy.
i think the big horse will be a big scratch at tennessee don't see him lasting not too impressive of a senior year if you ask me
the 1 the only Wrote:i think the big horse will be a big scratch at tennessee don't see him lasting not too impressive of a senior year if you ask me
I am sure you could do better with the whole defense keying on you?
Twitter: @tc_analytics

I'm going to clarify myself a little bit. I think Fugate is an extremely talented athelete. I don't think anyone has questioned that. They have questioned his work ethic and thats what worries me. I see fans that keep telling him hes the best and he will start easily for a SEC team. This worries me. If he shows up thinking its going to be easy for him to start for a SEC school than hes going to be in for a rude awakening. Hes going to show up and find out hes not any bigger, stronger or faster than most of the kids on the team. However if he shows up knowing hes going to have to put in the work he will be fine. Hes going to have work hard in the weight room and on the feild. He will have work hard in the class room and attend the tutoring. College is hard enough without playing football. But if he shows up knowing hes going to have to improve he will do fine. He does not have any natural ability thats going to make it easy.
the 1 the only Wrote:i think the big horse will be a big scratch at tennessee don't see him lasting not too impressive of a senior year if you ask me

Where did you play your college ball?...That's what I thought.:please:
Matman Wrote:I'm going to clarify myself a little bit. I think Fugate is an extremely talented athelete. I don't think anyone has questioned that. They have questioned his work ethic and thats what worries me. I see fans that keep telling him hes the best and he will start easily for a SEC team. This worries me. If he shows up thinking its going to be easy for him to start for a SEC school than hes going to be in for a rude awakening. Hes going to show up and find out hes not any bigger, stronger or faster than most of the kids on the team. However if he shows up knowing hes going to have to put in the work he will be fine. Hes going to have work hard in the weight room and on the feild. He will have work hard in the class room and attend the tutoring. College is hard enough without playing football. But if he shows up knowing hes going to have to improve he will do fine. He does not have any natural ability thats going to make it easy.

Who has questioned his work ethic? His coach...Holcomb...has always said he is a very hard worker. I believe he actually says that no one has ever worked any harder. Second, from what I understand Fugate already bench presses over 400 and can squat over 600. Last, you say he has no athletic ability or talent...are you kidding? This guy is extremely gifted. At the D1 level he will have to work hard just like every other successful athlete, but to say he has no talent is just ignorant.
Flashman Wrote:Who has questioned his work ethic? His coach...Holcomb...has always said he is a very hard worker. I believe he actually says that no one has ever worked any harder. Second, from what I understand Fugate already bench presses over 400 and can squat over 600. Last, you say he has no athletic ability or talent...are you kidding? This guy is extremely gifted. At the D1 level he will have to work hard just like every other successful athlete, but to say he has no talent is just ignorant.

Maybe you just can not read. I said he doesn't have a natural ability that is going to make it easy. He has ability just not so much to make playing in the SEC easy.
Channing will do fine as a FB as they UT told him he would be. He would also do well at LB IMO if they wanted to use him there.

He would be a great back to bring in during 3rd and long situations along with Kiffin's philosophy of throwing a lot of passes to the fullback. I think he could compete for the starting position immediately. I am not racist by any means in saying this, but there are some people that just automatically assume that just because a player is black that they are automatically more athletic. That's just simply not true and guys like Channing prove that. Rex Chapman that played basketball for UK and the NBA would have been another good example. The truth is that the black athletes will have to work their butts off to keep a guy like Channing from taking their starting position. I'm only a fan, but obviously experts in the field of football such as Lane Kiffin and the UT staff understand this too.
tn might try to use him next wk, they might need him,lol, go cats
I think UT may move him to TE. I think he would be better at that position than RB or LB. He has about the same size and speed of Heath Miller and he played QB in high school before they moved him to TE at UVA.
big orange T Wrote:I think UT may move him to TE. I think he would be better at that position than RB or LB. He has about the same size and speed of Heath Miller and he played QB in high school before they moved him to TE at UVA.
He will not be a RB IMO.

cuppett777 Wrote:tn might try to use him next wk, they might need him,lol, go cats
From what I have heard he will be enrolling in the Spring semester. I heard he has already got the credits needed and will graduate in December, is that possible? He is a very smart kid.

TheBrahmaBull Wrote:From what I have heard he will be enrolling in the Spring semester. I heard he has already got the credits needed and will graduate in December, is that possible? He is a very smart kid.

Sure its possible. Instead of taking a study hall class every year or PE class every year he has simply taken an extra class. Holcomb and his family have done a terrific job of preparing him for the next level.

I think he stays at FB. I believe Kiffin meant what he said when he told Channing he would use him as a hybrid fullback that catches a lot of passes. I think he would be great for that position.
He is a team player and will do anything or play anywhere the coach wants him to play.He is the best ever to come out of these parts until someone else proves otherwise PERIOD.Keep your eye on us cause we have another one that will be getting alot of attention in the next 3 years in Trent.
BOBCAT Wrote:He is a team player and will do anything or play anywhere the coach wants him to play.He is the best ever to come out of these parts until someone else proves otherwise PERIOD.Keep your eye on us cause we have another one that will be getting alot of attention in the next 3 years in Trent.

:Thumbs:
Channing sure has had a great career. I sure will miss watching him play. I used to enjoy watching his Robinson grade school basketball team with him leading the way. I have driven to Jackson numerous times just to watch him play football and basketball. Hes a Great kid and I hope nothing but the best for him in College. Make us proud at UT.
Good luck young man.