Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley vs. University of Kentucky
thetribe Wrote:Same concept. This is exactly what I am talking about. Surely it is copyright infringement. Pepsi couldn't have the same logo as Coke, how can any teams do that? Surely UK could not trademark their flag thing and cheers but that is a judgement call. Any logo is a legal call.

I forgot to add... Grambling State has the same G.. just in a different color..
FOX SPORTS Wrote:I have not heard anything about UK/SV copyright issues but I did hear that Florida State University and the Atlanta Braves had sent a memo to East Ridge to stop using the "Tomahawk Chop" with the drum beat at their school events charging trademark infringement.

not really.....just kidding
just adding to the silliness of this thread

I'm going to go along with Fox here. This has got to be one of the silliest threads I've seen on here in a while.

It was mentioned that SV has UK's mascot and colors. Well, so what? As another poster explained, the combination was chosen because it took the colors from Virgie and the mascot from Dorton. And yes, the reason that combo was chosen instead of "red and white Eagles" was partially because everyone around here loves UK so much.

But there are other examples of this too. South Floyd is the black and silver Raiders (Oakland of the NFL). Sheldon Clark is the red and white Cardinals (U. of Louisville). So why was Shelby Valley singled out here? Hmmm...

And as for spelling out W-I-L-D-C-A-T-S during cheers, again, what are they supposed to do, spell out T-I-G-E-R-S? I just don't see how that is any kind of infringement. I bet that all other schools in the country that have "Wildcats" as their mascot spell it the same way.

Finally, yes the band does use part of the UK fight song. They have also used part of the Notre Dame song. But so do a good majority of the schools in this area. Most area schools don't have the money to hire someone to write their own fight song, so they use a well-known college fight song. And I wonder what college around here has a fight song that just might get everyone in the stands fired up? Here's a hint, it starts with U and ends with K.

The only thing that used to be a copyright infringment was the logo. That has since been changed, with the school now using a curious combination of what appears to be Villanova's logo for basketball and Kansas State's for football. So hopefully no one from either Philadelphia or Manhattan, Kansas, makes a trip to Robinson Creek anytime soon... :biggrin:
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
FOX SPORTS Wrote:[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-11.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-12.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-13.jpg[/IMG][attachment=o1478]
WOW! Not to add to the silliness, but that is a pretty blatant copy there, looks like you would want to come up with an original logo to me.
I have a question then since "The Tribe" started this topic: Is doing the Tomahawk chant (which is closely related to the Atlanta Braves) any different? Who really cares about the routines cheerleaders go through? They work just as hard as the basketball teams do.

In the past, Shelby Valley's logo was identical to UK's logo (only replace UK with SV). This was changed when UK asked us to change it, and there was a friendly competition at SV to create the new logo. Mr. Zachary Potter was the winner and it was he who drew and painted the large logo that appears in SV's lunchroom.
Wow, this has to be the silliest thread I've seen on here that wasn't from a new member.
I hear we are going to get a clock tower for the school, start calling the gym "Rupp Arena", and the football field "Commonwealth Stadium", too.Does Billy Clyde Booher sound better than Jason??
Haha Get A Life..
The way UK is playing Shelby Valley ought to sue UK for infringement.
Looks like they(SV) has just borrowed different things from different schools. No biggie. It looks like a UK wildcat but similar V but a different font than Nova's. I actually think they took the best from each, added a little of their own touch and made a nice logo. So, no about the logo, and as far as cheers go, well that is just a lack of creativity on their own part. I doubt if UK has coppyrighted the cheers, but if they have and the cheer is identical then maybe.
IMO, this thread is just an immature attempt to find something to gripe about regarding the Wildcats. The Tribe obviously already knew there were infringement issues a decade ago at Valley and wanted to point that out to everyone for some reason. Go dig up some more dirt.
It was an honest question. I'm not old enough to remember all of Valley's issues when the school opened but have been out of high school long enough for it not to be a shot at them. It has nothing to do with an ER/SV rivalry, I assure you. The Villanova logo is also really similar. If the thread was started by someone that had never been around East Ridge in their life then it wouldn't have received the reaction that it has from some of you. Obviously people notice this stuff but when a student from the University of Kentucky sees it and is saying that it is weird to have so many things just like them, I figured that I would be the one to ask. I didn't know if the changing the old logo was a rumor or not. Figured someone here could give a mature answer.

This is terrible. I thought we lived in the State of Kentucky. I know when I was growing up it was every kid's dream to play for the University of Kentucky, and we play the State Tournament there, so what is wrong with a Kentucky High School modeling after the University that Kentucky High Schools sports is modeled around anyway? To be honest the Univesity of Kentucky should appreciate they other schools and kids look up to them.
I have to admit I got more fun out of this than anything else all week!!

Next week it will be the toilet paper is too thin and too far awaaay!! in

the Shelby Valley restrooms.
When I was in high school, it seemed like UK threatened a lawsuit over the logo. So, they had a contest for the students to design a new logo. The guy who won painted it on the wall in the cafeteria.

But anyway, I dont know if the whole legal action from above is true. But the logo did change that year.

And, the reason I think there is no way UK can threaten legal action over cheers is because it is a high school team, and not professionals, and also because they dont have their cheers/flags/etc. trademarked. That would just be silly.
thetribe Wrote:I have been out of school for years. I wasn't asking to cause an argument amongst Shelby Valley fans. I know that many schools will have things in common, with other high school or colleges. There is simply not enough color combinations or ways to put names/numbers on things for some not to match up, I just think that Valley imitates everything that UK does. It was an honest question of legality really.

I think that UK needs to imitate what SV is doing and start winning:flame:
Commanche Wrote:Dont know about the flag and so forth, but Billy G. might overlook it if he could have Elisha.

Actually if the UK Cats keep playing the way they do, SV might want to sue them for digracing the flag.

that is a true statement
I feel that whoever started this thread just lost all respect on this site. That is the dumbest them I have ever read. I first thought who in the world would think SV could play with UK, but when I read it I realized it was even worse.
thetribe Wrote:I am seriously just curious, I hadn't noticed just how similar they were until this year. A friend of mine from UK attended some Valley games with me and actually mentioned this without being prompted at all. I have no reason to be jealous, I attended three schools that never copied blatantly obvious stuff from other schools. I just think it's odd to see an in state high school to copy an in state college. I know that some schools with have the same school colors, mascots, or cheers but everything doesn't have to look the same. It doesn't hurt anything. My question was basically is it copyright infringement? Was there a copyright infringement issue before?
East Ridge? If the warchant isn't straight from Tally, I don't know what is.
The only way some legal action can be taken is if UK has it trademarked. The logo was probably copyrighted and that is why they had to change it.
this isn't even the logo anymore. And another thing it's sad if you sit and compare valley's cheers to UK's. Haha get a life and quit hate'n!!
More Cowbell Wrote:I'm going to go along with Fox here. This has got to be one of the silliest threads I've seen on here in a while.

It was mentioned that SV has UK's mascot and colors. Well, so what? As another poster explained, the combination was chosen because it took the colors from Virgie and the mascot from Dorton. And yes, the reason that combo was chosen instead of "red and white Eagles" was partially because everyone around here loves UK so much.

But there are other examples of this too. South Floyd is the black and silver Raiders (Oakland of the NFL). Sheldon Clark is the red and white Cardinals (U. of Louisville). So why was Shelby Valley singled out here? Hmmm...

And as for spelling out W-I-L-D-C-A-T-S during cheers, again, what are they supposed to do, spell out T-I-G-E-R-S? I just don't see how that is any kind of infringement. I bet that all other schools in the country that have "Wildcats" as their mascot spell it the same way.

Finally, yes the band does use part of the UK fight song. They have also used part of the Notre Dame song. But so do a good majority of the schools in this area. Most area schools don't have the money to hire someone to write their own fight song, so they use a well-known college fight song. And I wonder what college around here has a fight song that just might get everyone in the stands fired up? Here's a hint, it starts with U and ends with K.

The only thing that used to be a copyright infringment was the logo. That has since been changed, with the school now using a curious combination of what appears to be Villanova's logo for basketball and Kansas State's for football. So hopefully no one from either Philadelphia or Manhattan, Kansas, makes a trip to Robinson Creek anytime soon... :biggrin:

Also to add to this is that South Floyd also uses the 49ers SF logo....haha
What's next? UK's fight song. I know of a few high schools that would be disapponted if they had to stop playing it as their fight song.

Right now Shelby Valley is more exciting to watch than UK, and have a better point guard.

Winning and representing the University of Kentucky as one of the premier basketball programs in the nation is what Mitch and the gang need to be worrying about. Not logos.
UK actually did threaten to sue Valley a couple of years back,because they apparently had the same "Wildcat" tearing through.
To all you Valley fans, when your on the top people take shots at you. Just take them as compliments. I love the UK Wildcats and I'm not really a fan of Valley but I really couldn't careless about your flags or chants. It's all about the game!!!!
King_23 Wrote:To all you Valley fans, when your on the top people take shots at you. Just take them as compliments. I love the UK Wildcats and I'm not really a fan of Valley but I really couldn't careless about your flags or chants. It's all about the game!!!!

:Clap: :Clap: :Clap:
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Oh please!!! where is the admin when a thread needs to be closed? I vote this one of the most...oh what is the word...thread ever. Please close.
UK Wildcat Wrote:Oh please!!! where is the admin when a thread needs to be closed? I vote this one of the most...oh what is the word...thread ever. Please close.

Isn't thetribe an Administrator?
I was asking a serious question. If you all want to blow it out of proportion, do so. If another staff member deems it inappropriate then it can be moved or closed. However, I'm not breaking any rules. It's not a jab at Shelby Valley fans, you need to calm down. If you can't answer the question appropriate then don't. Mama always said if you couldn't say something nice, don't say anything at all...

How else are we supposed to reply?
No it isn't and when we do you continue to mention SV's "BLATANT" rip off of the Kentucky. We even mention other teams and finally you said thats what I mean.
The thread was even Titled Shelby Valley Vs. University of Kentucky, if it wasn't a shot at us why wouldn't it be titled "Are high schools ripping off colleges?"
The UK Logo is trademarked and copyrighted. You can't change that fact. But as for school fight songs, you can't copyright those. If it is your band playing the song, all power to them, they can play. People all over Youtube make covers of songs. Do record companies sue them for playing that song? How about cheers? Same thing applies. As long as it is not UK's cheerleaders out there cheering, then allow them to use all the cheers they want.

Although I don't agree with Sheldon Clark using the UK fight song and C-A-R-D Cards Cards Cards. (C-A-T-S Cats Cats Cats). Sound familiar. Or Lawrence County calling themselves the DAWGS (Welcome to Georgia everyone!).