Brennan Case

sure there is more but thats the ones that come to mind for me
You forgot about Tyler Puckett.
Breathitt Bobcat Wrote:Breathitt

Channing Fugate

Danny Back

Justin Haddix

Tim Barnett

John Radar;Shorty Combs;Waylon ;Chapman;Kyle Moore;Courtney Johnson;Jon Chapman;Dennis Cornett; Oh............you said 5.:Thumbs:
What about Billy Niece?
Hard Hitter52 Wrote:I agree with a couple of these but i think it is

Keatron Mays
Bj Bryant
Nick Compton
Joe Osborne
Wes Hall/Brandon Little either one could do in the 5 spot imo

You have just been hit by the Hard Hitter52!!!!

i like this list.
no I didnt, forget about Tyler Puckett. He could have been good but as far as the best 5 I dont think so. With an injury his senior year I dont think you would put him in the top 20 from 93 to present. I really dont much before than.
IRISH4 Wrote:Daniel Pugh was the QB a few years ago and he currently has the record for TDs in a career (running and passing), but Mike Minix had the record and all his were rushing. However, he could be in the mix...his money sport was baseball and is currently playing at Morehead.

Coach Lemaster was a tremendous 3sport athlete, but I think he didn't come out until he was a Sophomore (correct me if I'm wrong). He was a great player as well...he lead Paintsville to the '78 championship game against Ft. Campbell and they lost 15-13 on something controversial. He very well may be one of the best if not THE best QB to grace the halls of Paintsville. However, Lemaster went on to Clemson and played baseball and particiapted in the College World Series...a lot of people said that he would've been drafted out of HS as a catcher and still would have been until he broke his arm in a pick-up basketball game.
I liked your list.
But IMO, Chas Harmon was the best QB we ever had at PHS. Mike Minix is by far the best RB ever, Mayes was the best overall player IMO followed by Couch. I think Brown was the best lineman we had but might replace ward with Walter J Brugh...He was a finalist for the Heisman at DB while at The Citadel.
Jarons Wrote:You can add Robbie Logan and J.B. Newman as well

Yes you have to include Robby Logan in the mix. Newman was a great player as well. Denton and Carver were special as well. and from a leadership stand point, and in a clutch situation. Tyler Boyles was special to. There have been several raceland players to grace that field with a presence that was remarkable. Scott Speaks was incredible at his LB position. He holds the record for career tackles and tackles in a season. He played at Louisville.
The Guru Wrote:I liked your list.
But IMO, Chas Harmon was the best QB we ever had at PHS. Mike Minix is by far the best RB ever, Mayes was the best overall player IMO followed by Couch. I think Brown was the best lineman we had but might replace ward with Walter J Brugh...He was a finalist for the Heisman at DB while at The Citadel.

Chas was a great QB, he had a heck of an arm, accurate and was very mobile. I've talked to many people and I never knew that about Brugh. That is a phenominal feat for any player and especially one that comes from a small school such as Paintsville.
blitz43 Wrote:What about Billy Niece?

Maybe in the top 500
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Brian Mckenzie has to be in there somewhere,, I think he went to play NFL at Atlanta???? I could be dreaming but I thougth he did.

Now who are the best players never make it to college??? Lets just overlooked.

I played with Bryan. He did go to Georgetown and then got drafted. Never made the team though. He was a good player in highschool but not one of the best.
IRISH4 Wrote:Chas was a great QB, he had a heck of an arm, accurate and was very mobile. I've talked to many people and I never knew that about Brugh. That is a phenominal feat for any player and especially one that comes from a small school such as Paintsville.
A few years back, when th DB from Michigan was a finalist for the Heisman, ESPN had a trivia question and it was, "Who was the last Def. back to be a finalist for the Heisman?" I bout dropped a load when they said, Walter J. Brugh from The Citadel I think like 1947.
The Guru Wrote:A few years back, when th DB from Michigan was a finalist for the Heisman, ESPN had a trivia question and it was, "Who was the last Def. back to be a finalist for the Heisman?" I bout dropped a load when they said, Walter J. Brugh from The Citadel I think like 1947.

LOL...that was the year when Charles Woodson won I'm pretty sure.
JackFrost Wrote:Brennan Case was good but I don't think hes in the top 5 to ever come out of Betsy Layne. IMO

Tyler Puckett IMO was the best qb ever at the school. Stuck in a running offense but still was offered a chance to play at Eastern. Kid had a cannon.
The Guru Wrote:I liked your list.
No he wasn't. I checked on the Heisman website of all past winners and canidates. I'm pretty sure I would've heard that before.
If you look at Tylers stats, there not that good. He had a cannon but watched him play his junior year and wasnt impressed. Sorry Booya. Adam Collins could have went to Marshall and played so easy about colleges. As for Brennan Case. He just finished his career with two school records. Brennan has the chance to go play college at numerous naia schools.

Actually the more I thought about it I would say this.
1 Bubba Combs
2 Craig Hamilton
3 Rocky Hamilton
4 Billy Mitchell
5 Brad Brooks
6 Shawn Hamilton
7 Brennan Case

This is still not counting a heck of a lot of players like
Jason Hamilton, Jackie Bush, etc........
Breathitt County top 5 defensive linemen

Ricky Brewer
Brad Allen
Casey Allen
Shorty Combs(also a linebacker at times)
Bill Campbell
betsylaynealum Wrote:If you look at Tylers stats, there not that good. He had a cannon but watched him play his junior year and wasnt impressed. Sorry Booya. Adam Collins could have went to Marshall and played so easy about colleges. As for Brennan Case. He just finished his career with two school records. Brennan has the chance to go play college at numerous naia schools.

Actually the more I thought about it I would say this.
1 Bubba Combs
2 Craig Hamilton
3 Rocky Hamilton
4 Billy Mitchell
5 Brad Brooks
6 Shawn Hamilton
7 Brennan Case

This is still not counting a heck of a lot of players like
Jason Hamilton, Jackie Bush, etc........

Yeah his stats weren't that good cause he played in a running offense for three years. We are taking about the top, meaning talent wise. He passed on a lot of other high schools in the state to play at BL and I think that kind of commitment is comendable. As far as talent is concerned the kid could throw any college style pass and was a good team player and one of the few that really cared about winning on the team. He also had a spot on UK's Hal Mumme team, but didn't walk on there. He had a scholarship offer from EKU, but didn't take it because he lacked enough credits. The kid was defenately better than any other qb. 6-3 215 could throw the ball around 60 yards and ran a 4.8 40. That's pretty good for a pocket qb. Randall Hager didn't use him the way he needed and they never had a go to receiver. If you were to add up potential yardage from dropped passes in the hands of the receivers his numbers would have been much better. I know that some people didn't like that he was cocky, but he had a reason to be. Turned down Lex Cath, Paintsville, Pike Central, and a school in Alabama to play for the Bobcats. To me that says a lot about his character and commitment.
Breathitt All Time Top Players
1. Waylan Chapmen
2. Kyle Moore
3. Channing Fugate
4. Justin Haddix
5. Jon Chapmen
BLA you talk the talk, what were you water boy at BL or something. Yes he could have played in college but circumstances discourage him. Don't talk trash about people on here just cause you can hind behind a user name. Read the PM I sent you. As for coaching at BL maybe someday but now he's under Mike Whitaker at Powell County where he is learning the spread offense and actually trying to be ready for all aspects of the head coaching career. You know so they don't run the ball in a two reciever wishbone and leave the end unblocked because they don't understand blocking rules and assignments. Oh wait that was BL this year when they were gashed by PC's varsity in the 1st half and JV in the 2nd.
Eric Collins was by far the Best Lineman to come through Breathitt.
the only think I dont like about this thread is the fact that we dont talk about the lineman. Usually the backs, quarterbacks, and etc....
Paintsville players that aren't mentioned:
Bobby Mullins (UK)
Jim Wheeler (he coached there forever, I was always told he was a stand-out football player as well)
Jim Brugh (Vanderbilt)
JackFrost Wrote:What about Keatron Mays? He had the state record for most rushing yards in a game. Also I think hes tied along with a few others for longest TD in a game.

No He Did Not Jack Frost He Had The School Record And I would have to put adam tackett in tht list
King Leonidas Wrote:Eric Collins was by far the Best Lineman to come through Breathitt.

No...............he was good but not close to the best.Maybe top 50.
Warren Central
Damon Hood
Andre Metcalfe
Chad Alexander
Leroy Wilson
Lonell Dewalt
I agree on the Pikeville list, but sure would like to add
Bobby Deramus, Chris McNamee, Jeff Roop, Robbie Wright, and Robbie Simpson; but the top five is what the thread said.
Pupaw Wrote:Paintsville players that aren't mentioned:
Bobby Mullins (UK)
Jim Wheeler (he coached there forever, I was always told he was a stand-out football player as well)
Jim Brugh (Vanderbilt)

Bobby was a tremendous player from the stories I've heard and film I've seen from his older sister. Below is something I found on Jim Wheeler...

1938 -
[Image: http://www.johnsoncountykyhistory.com/pi...eelsml.jpg]Paintsville High School football star James Hassell "Blackie" Wheeler was named Outstanding High School Football Player in Kentucky by Louisville Courier Journal.
Big Five-0- Wrote:I agree on the Pikeville list, but sure would like to add
Bobby Deramus, Chris McNamee, Jeff Roop, Robbie Wright, and Robbie Simpson; but the top five is what the thread said.
You couldnt go wrong with either one of our lists.
Breathitt Bobcat Wrote:Maybe in the top 500

I played some pickup football with him here in Stanton. Someone said that Coach Holcomb said he was one of the best and also hardest hitters to come out of Breathitt. Said there was a big write-up in the paper back in the day. I think he graduated in 91'. Just going by what some of the guys told me. I don't even know him cept' through playin pickup ball with him.
Bid Daddy there was a kid nick named Big "a" was that Adam Tackett, he was great.
Breathitt Bobcat Wrote:Breathitt

Channing Fugate

Danny Back

Justin Haddix

Tim Barnett

John Radar;Shorty Combs;Waylon ;Chapman;Kyle Moore;Courtney Johnson;Jon Chapman;Dennis Cornett; Oh............you said 5.:Thumbs:

I'm glad you named Tim Barnett, He was the best receiver to wear the blue and white I.M.O.
Breathitt top 5
1- Danny Back
2- Justin Haddix
3- Jon Chapman
4-Waylon Chapman
5- Shorty Combs