Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sheldon Clark 63 - Phelps 60 (15th All-A championship)
SC will play at 5 o'clock Wednesday against the winner of Region 2 which I believe is a very good 12- 3 Caldwell County team. No matter the Lady Cards has done all of Martin County proud and I';m sure they will do well in Richmond.:Thumbs:
People quite whinning....Cards won ....But as for the transfers at Phelps.....I say again.....ARE WE THE ONLY ONE'S THAT HAVE TRANSFER'S....NOPE......SO GET OVER THAT TO......Phelps had a 15 point led and lost ........As far as the 1 A or 3 A take that up with KHSAA.....OK PEOPLE.....GOOD GAME......
It was a good game and Phelps Played well and had the better team for the first 3 quarters of the game. Then they lost focus and got Ratliff hurt and Riley Fouled out. That hurt Phelps. Booth went on a tear and beat Phelps by herself really. So good game that was enjoyed by all who watched it. Phelps simply lost focus and had 2 starters on the bench in the big minutes of the game. The walk by Phelps at the end cost them the game. Congrats SC make the 15th Proud.
thetribe Wrote:I am very much looking forward to seeing what Carla Booth can do as a senior. A LOT of young talent in the 15th this year.
what grade is she in this year?
Pruitt fouled out, along w/ Riley. && KK was hurt.
but congrats lady cards, u girls played a great game, especially carla booth.
I'm sure in the next couple of years, u guys will have an amazing team.
first of all great game !! hats off to both teams for a great show on the floor..
congrats to sheldon clark..well played.the Lady Hornets just lost focus in the 4th..but nothing to be ashamed of girls you did well..played your hearts out for sure. i will say ALL Lady hornets played their best..
carla booth is an awesome player SC had a talented team for sure..

these teams show to play regardless right? and imo it gives a little more incentive and motivation for the teams to play harder
transfers?? well it's old news ppl let these girls play and the adults on here should just remain silence....exspecially if you are involved with a team such as maybe an assistant coach??
shame on you hootie.....!lol
great job SC ..
lady hornets...keep your heads up ..refocus and come back strong ...
#1catfan Wrote:Big Congratulations to SCHS Lady Cards!!!

I was extremely disappointed in Phelps behavior during the awards ceremony. Some girls did not even go get their medals, and others dropped them on the floor. Sportsmanship... they sure didn't have much. Runner-up is nothing to be ashamed of.

really....... i didn't see any of this ... LOL
PHS#1 Wrote:It was a good game and Phelps Played well and had the better team for the first 3 quarters of the game. Then they lost focus and got Ratliff hurt and Riley Fouled out. That hurt Phelps. Booth went on a tear and beat Phelps by herself really. So good game that was enjoyed by all who watched it. Phelps simply lost focus and had 2 starters on the bench in the big minutes of the game. The walk by Phelps at the end cost them the game. Congrats SC make the 15th Proud.

wow! really? why one walk?
it was a number of mistakes made late in the game
PLEASE..... DO NOT SINGLE OUT ONE MISTAKE!!
PHS#1 Wrote:It was a good game and Phelps Played well and had the better team for the first 3 quarters of the game. Then they lost focus and got Ratliff hurt and Riley Fouled out. That hurt Phelps. Booth went on a tear and beat Phelps by herself really. So good game that was enjoyed by all who watched it. Phelps simply lost focus and had 2 starters on the bench in the big minutes of the game. The walk by Phelps at the end cost them the game. Congrats SC make the 15th Proud.

That is the most ridicuous statement I have ever read on here. One turnover does not cost the game. Phelps was one point behind at that point, no guarantee they would have scored on that posession. The difference in the game is that Booth had 9 the first half against the zone and 27 the second half against the man to man. The difference in the game was the man on the SC bench making more adjustments during the course of the game.
sue_katt Wrote:really....... i didn't see any of this ... LOL
I was actually standing by the SC bench and when Phelps was walking out, I heard one girl yell to someone to shut up. I don't know if it was directed at the bench or the crowd, but it doesn't mean the whole team was that way. I'm just saying.
chrissy23 Wrote:what grade is she in this year?
She's a sophmore.
And as far as the All A goes, it was established as a tournament for smaller schools. Somewhere along the way, it has changed into a tournament to make money. It is not an All A tourney, they should change the name of it. Personally, if I were a legitimate single A school, I wouldn't play in it. If I am going to play against larger schools, I would just wait and play them in the post season. Three of the four schools that played last night are not single A schools. Nothing against SC, to see the young players not fold under pressure was impressive. But they do need to change the name or the format. JMO
Shady Grady Wrote:And as far as the All A goes, it was established as a tournament for smaller schools. Somewhere along the way, it has changed into a tournament to make money. It is not an All A tourney, they should change the name of it. Personally, if I were a legitimate single A school, I wouldn't play in it. If I am going to play against larger schools, I would just wait and play them in the post season. Three of the four schools that played last night are not single A schools. Nothing against SC, to see the young players not fold under pressure was impressive. But they do need to change the name or the format. JMO

consolidation is what killed the back bone of the ALL A
Shady Grady Wrote:And as far as the All A goes, it was established as a tournament for smaller schools. Somewhere along the way, it has changed into a tournament to make money. It is not an All A tourney, they should change the name of it. Personally, if I were a legitimate single A school, I wouldn't play in it. If I am going to play against larger schools, I would just wait and play them in the post season. Three of the four schools that played last night are not single A schools. Nothing against SC, to see the young players not fold under pressure was impressive. But they do need to change the name or the format. JMO

I agree with ya on this one.... All "A" should be just that... All "A"..... IMHO, to be a TRUE single A school, Phelps held their own and played with the best of them. Considering they are the ONLY school left within the county not consolidated with another school, they put forth excellent showings in basketball. If they want a "money maker" tourney, they should change the name to include all the teams that are allowed in it. Exactly who were the true "A" teams in the tourney? Phelps, Betsy Layne, Paintsville, and who else???

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
Pikeville, Allen Central, South Floyd, Piarist are all class A!
phs1986 Wrote:I agree with ya on this one.... All "A" should be just that... All "A"..... IMHO, to be a TRUE single A school, Phelps held their own and played with the best of them. Considering they are the ONLY school left within the county not consolidated with another school, they put forth excellent showings in basketball. If they want a "money maker" tourney, they should change the name to include all the teams that are allowed in it. Exactly who were the true "A" teams in the tourney? Phelps, Betsy Layne, Paintsville, and who else???

Ive went back to 1997-98 and the teams that year were as follows,

Paintsville, Pikeville, Elkhorn City, South Floyd, Feds Creek, and Phelps
PHS95 Wrote:Pikeville, Allen Central, South Floyd, Piarist are all class A!

Thanks! Did all of these teams play in the All "A"? I know Pikeville and Allen Central did but what about South Floyd and Piarist?

15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Ive went back to 1997-98 and the teams that year were as follows,

Paintsville, Pikeville, Elkhorn City, South Floyd, Feds Creek, and Phelps

Elkhorn City and Feds Creek are now combined IE: East Ridge....

6 teams.... My goodness... how far we have come!!.....lol

When the all A started when I was in school, there were more than 6.... 1990 was the first year of the fifteenth region All A tourneys and I am pretty sure Mullins, Johns Creek, Feds Creek, Millard, Elkhorn City, Phelps, Pikeville, and Paintsville were there at least.... consolidation of schools killed the class A pack in this region!
cards_athlete Wrote:I was actually standing by the SC bench and when Phelps was walking out, I heard one girl yell to someone to shut up. I don't know if it was directed at the bench or the crowd, but it doesn't mean the whole team was that way. I'm just saying.

Thats whats wrong now...You have people with smart mouths that need to be quite.....NO NO NO you have people that have to run their mouths and start trouble....I didn't see any wrong doing with the Phelps gurls...They were just down on theirselves for losing the game.....Any player would be hurt that didn't win....The Phelps team just lost focus and lost..
phs1986 Wrote:As far as it being ridiculous, take it up with KHSAA..... THEY are the ones who post the classifications on the website.... As far as the new "transfers" go, 2 of them were at Phelps LAST YEAR and the other transferred this year. That has nothing to do with them being Lady Hornets NOW or with the outcome of this game. Yes, Phelps played some outstanding ball the first half. But, I will keep quite a few choice comments to myself as I have edited and deleted posts that I wish I could post on here now. Kay Kay had a great game and IMHO, the ref's pulled another one of those let them keep playing while you have an injured player on the court. She was hurt....plain and simple. Rissa held her composure very well tonight.... She is a joy to watch and has excelled this year. I'm sorry but I will post more later on as the more I post right now, the more I want to say..... Confusedhh:

The officials couldn't stop play because Phelps didn't have possession and until the ball goes out of bounds, changes hands after a made basket or a foul is called - officials cannot stop play. That's the rule if I'm not mistaken and I understand why many fans don't get it or agree with it. However, there are instantances where a player "acts" hurt to try and stop a play or take a break. THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN last night Kayla, however it does happen from time to time in games whether people want to admit to it or not.

As for a 3A school winning the All "A". Simply put, this isn't a state sanctioned event and the All "A" committee as the right to invite any team to play under certain criteria that they create. I personally think it's bull. But, unless you want a class system in basketball as in football, fans have to stop bellyaching about it.

I don't want a class system in basketball and class had nothing to do in last night's victory for Sheldon Clark.
phs1986 Wrote:Exactly who were the true "A" teams in the tourney? Phelps, Betsy Layne, Paintsville, and who else???

Allen Central, Betsy Layne, Paintsville, Pikeville, Phelps, Piarist & South Floyd are true single A schools according to football classification. All of those schools with the exception of Betsy Layne has participated in the All "A" year-after-year.

Previously before consolidation: Johns Creek, Mullins, McDowell, Wheelwright, Millard, Feds Creek and Elkhorn City were participants in the tournament.
jammin' jamey Wrote:The officials couldn't stop play because Phelps didn't have possession and until the ball goes out of bounds, changes hands after a made basket or a foul is called - officials cannot stop play. That's the rule if I'm not mistaken and I understand why many fans don't get it or agree with it. However, there are instantances where a player "acts" hurt to try and stop a play or take a break. THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN last night Kayla, however it does happen from time to time in games whether people want to admit to it or not.

As for a 3A school winning the All "A". Simply put, this isn't a state sanctioned event and the All "A" committee as the right to invite any team to play under certain criteria that they create. I personally think it's bull. But, unless you want a class system in basketball as in football, fans have to stop bellyaching about it.

I don't want a class system in basketball and class had nothing to do in last night's victory for Sheldon Clark.

Not really bellyaching about it but I personally think that IF whomever sanctions this tournament wants to continue to receive support from the fanbase of certain schools, they need to rethink who, how, and why they put certain schools in this tournament. Take it back to the "old school" days. In my opinion, having Phelps, Betsy Layne, Piarist, Pikeville, Painstville, Allen Central and South Floyd play in this tourney would have been a good. Hold a separate tournament for Sheldon Clark, Prestonsbug, Valley, Belfry, East Ridge, Pike Central. I thought this tournament was held so that the "lower enrollment" schools could play in a tournament and be able to gain recognition other than the district and region play that is traditional. I guess making money is more important than the kids themselves??

As far as "accidental" accidents..... I agree 100% with you BUT Referee's need to be trained to the fact that when you let them play "football" on the basketball court, they ARE going to have injuries. IMHO, this game got way to physical at times and it was about to get out of hand several times. The girls themselves gained composure and kept the game going. Ihave calmed down quite a bit to what I was last night.... I could have posted a story on here but decided to keep my true opinion about a few things to myself..... NOT posted on a public forum... HAHA....

phs1986 Wrote:I personally think that IF whomever sanctions this tournament wants to continue to receive support from the fanbase of certain schools, they need to rethink who, how, and why they put certain schools in this tournament.

That's the whole point. With consolidation, attendance of the tournament has dropped and they revisited the situation and decided to expand the field. Whether we like it or not, it takes money to hold these events and from a business standpoint, you have to find ways for the tournament to make money and be successful. Having an expanded fanbase from Shelby Valley, Prestonsburg and Sheldon Clark makes this successful.

It's romantic to keep the tournament at a true single A field, but not profitable, especially for the girls side. I dare say that last night was the largest attendance ever for a Girls 15th Region All "A".

Besides, if Paintsville had been playing Phelps in the title game, this discussion wouldn't be happening.
I may be wrong but I think they picked the schools with the lowvb a
They pick the schools with the lowest enrollment over the whole state. Some schools do not make the cut. I know East Ridge is said to be real close. I think it is like 125 schools.
jammin' jamey Wrote:That's the whole point. With consolidation, attendance of the tournament has dropped and they revisited the situation and decided to expand the field. Whether we like it or not, it takes money to hold these events and from a business standpoint, you have to find ways for the tournament to make money and be successful. Having an expanded fanbase from Shelby Valley, Prestonsburg and Sheldon Clark makes this successful.

It's romantic to keep the tournament at a true single A field, but not profitable, especially for the girls side. I dare say that last night was the largest attendance ever for a Girls 15th Region All "A".

Besides, if Paintsville had been playing Phelps in the title game, this discussion wouldn't be happening.

I understand completely what your saying..... AND... your are very much correct about the other situtation... LOL.......

Thanks Jammin's Jamey for yor post saying nothing would be said if Phelps had been playing Painstville in the finals. Regardless of class it was a great game between two good teams . The Class A numbers are alot different from the KHSAA so people need to realize that. SC is AAA in football which makes no sense but that is how it goes. The economy in Martin County has been hit hard the last few years with alot of jobs being lost due to several coal mines closing and that has effected the schools district enrollement numbers year to year and having spoken with people in the central office the county has lost anywhere from 20 to 50 kids a year for the past few years because have had to leave to find work. The same could be said about Prestonsburg and Shelby Valley since they play 2A in football and A in basketball. It was great tournament to attend and Kevin Garris and his people did a great job in serving as hosts but before jumping on Sheldon Clark about playing Class A come visit the county and see for yourself but lets not lose focus here it was a great championship game and would make a worthy regional championshop game come March.Cool
Shouldn't we be congratulating Sheldon Clark on a great win instead of downing them because they supposedly "shouldn't of even been in the tournament"? From what I understand, SC is a lower enrollment school. I know Phelps fans are a tid bit peeved, but you lost. No reason to bring up this All "A" and classes crap. It's just like if a small team plays a huge school from Lexington during the season. They shouldn't bring stuff up like "well, they're in this class and we're not". It's about the team who has the most heart, with the most determination, who plays night in and night out no matter if you have 100 students in your school or a 1000.
SC played with heart. Do you think the Phelps girls out on the court were worrying about how many students SC has in their school? No. They were there to win a game. And if they were thinking about the student number, then they didn't deserve to win anyways.
My hat goes off the Phelps. They played a great game.
But Sheldon Clark does not need to be put down because of what class they're supposedly in. They won. They came back from what, 15 down? That took heart. They didn't give up. It was a fantastic game to watch.
Now come on people, why don't we start congratulating SC? The Lady Cards are on their way back to the top with Darrin Rice. They haven't been there in a long time.
Girls I hope you represent this region well at State! Don't worry about the haters. Martin County and I'm sure many people around us are already very proud of you!
cards_athlete Wrote:Shouldn't we be congratulating Sheldon Clark on a great win instead of downing them because they supposedly "shouldn't of even been in the tournament"? From what I understand, SC is a lower enrollment school. I know Phelps fans are a tid bit peeved, but you lost. No reason to bring up this All "A" and classes crap. It's just like if a small team plays a huge school from Lexington during the season. They shouldn't bring stuff up like "well, they're in this class and we're not". It's about the team who has the most heart, with the most determination, who plays night in and night out no matter if you have 100 students in your school or a 1000.
SC played with heart. Do you think the Phelps girls out on the court were worrying about how many students SC has in their school? No. They were there to win a game. And if they were thinking about the student number, then they didn't deserve to win anyways.
My hat goes off the Phelps. They played a great game.
But Sheldon Clark does not need to be put down because of what class they're supposedly in. They won. They came back from what, 15 down? That took heart. They didn't give up. It was a fantastic game to watch.
Now come on people, why don't we start congratulating SC? The Lady Cards are on their way back to the top with Darrin Rice. They haven't been there in a long time.
Girls I hope you represent this region well at State! Don't worry about the haters. Martin County and I'm sure many people around us are already very proud of you!

I don't think anyone is hating on SC, at least I'm not. They played a great game, and Coach Rice is a very good coach, and in my opinion, the deciding factor in the game. I think the point most people are making is the fact that it is hard for small schools to win a district and region and that is why the All A was started. Over the years, they have changed the guidelines to allow some larger schools play. SC may have lost a lot of students, but they are still much larger than Phelps, Pikeville, Allen Central and the other schools who are truly single A. Now that they have allowed the larger schools to participate, it is now just as hard for a true single A school to win the All A as it is to win the KHSAA region tournament. I know that the All A is not a KHSAA sanctioned event, but they should use KHSAA enrollment to figure out who should participate. Now everyone would agree that larger schools have an advantage over smaller schools. If I were a small school, I just wouldn't play in the All A, because it counts towards the amount of games they can play, and for the most part, the larger schools are going to blow out the smaller schools anyways. But as far as SC goes, I think Coach Rice has brought those kids along quite nicely and will be a tough team to play for a few years. And the young kids were quite impressive keeping their composure. Good game Lady Cards. I felt that at the start of the fourth quarter they were going to pull it out and they did. Good luck at the state All A.