Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tebow Bill: Should HS home schoolers be allowed to play Public School sports?
15th region slamdunk Wrote:I agree with every1's post on this thread. There will be pro
s and cons to this.. Like I said, there needs to be a system put in place for this, but who knows, only time will tell. Do you all think it will get passed?

Yeah, there is no bad post here. I honestly do think it will get past. As i read some of the bill, and what they mentioned about it.. I see them having nothing wrong with it. Heres the thing. Just make sure that these kids are having the same education as public schools. The same curriculum(spellcheck). This couldnt be too hard. Its not like theres going to be this much controversy over it.. I think this would bring out some really good athletes. We would just need to monitor there days at home, and make sure there doing the required work.
BobcatFan4Life Wrote:Yeah, there is no bad post here. I honestly do think it will get past. As i read some of the bill, and what they mentioned about it.. I see them having nothing wrong with it. Heres the thing. Just make sure that these kids are having the same education as public schools. The same curriculum(spellcheck). This couldnt be too hard. Its not like theres going to be this much controversy over it.. I think this would bring out some really good athletes. We would just need to monitor there days at home, and make sure there doing the required work.

Does anyone know how long it will take this bill to pass or get declined?
The problem with this will be the Kentucky Department of Education. They have no system of accountabilty for homeschool programs. Basically- you walk in to your board of education and complete a document stating you intend to home school your child and with draw them from school. There is no system to follow up from that point. Until the KDE steps up and gets their own act in gear- I don't see this being possible. I'm sure there are families who homeschool their children and do a very fine job- u I know for a fact there are those who "homeschool" their children to keep them out of trouble.
gotcha2 Wrote:The problem with this will be the Kentucky Department of Education. They have no system of accountabilty for homeschool programs. Basically- you walk in to your board of education and complete a document stating you intend to home school your child and with draw them from school. There is no system to follow up from that point. Until the KDE steps up and gets their own act in gear- I don't see this being possible. I'm sure there are families who homeschool their children and do a very fine job- u I know for a fact there are those who "homeschool" their children to keep them out of trouble.

Good point, very true.
Benchwarmer Wrote:I had a buddy in high school (soph year) and he only came to school about 2 to 3 times a week. He would stay up most nights playing games on the computer. He ended up in getting in trouble (court) for missing so many days of school. His mother could care less if he went to school. Guess what. He was home schooled after his soph. year. So these are the kids that should play along the side of kids that go to school everyday?

I doubt someone like this would have the motivation and moxy to play organized sports, so you probably wouldn't have to worry about that too much.
blitzingback Wrote:I doubt someone like this would have the motivation and moxy to play organized sports, so you probably wouldn't have to worry about that too much.

I agree with that. Big Grin I think this will work out fine if they do pass the bill. I guess we'll just have to see tho.
15th region slamdunk Wrote:I agree with that. Big Grin I think this will work out fine if they do pass the bill. I guess we'll just have to see tho.

I feel good about it.. I think it gets passed. Hopefully it will!
As it's been said on here before, this would be easy to govern. Treat it just like a kid entering high school. Wherever they start their freshman, or first year, they must stay at that school for the duration, or sit out the required year that transfers have to. This would be great for the kids that don't get to socialize because parents want to homeschool their kids. A lot of times homeschoolers know the people in direct contact with them and not a whole lot of peers. I think that this would be great. Will it get abused? Sure. But don't the rules get abused in the public schools right now also? I say give these kids a chance to be part of something.
blitzingback Wrote:As it's been said on here before, this would be easy to govern. Treat it just like a kid entering high school. Wherever they start their freshman, or first year, they must stay at that school for the duration, or sit out the required year that transfers have to. This would be great for the kids that don't get to socialize because parents want to homeschool their kids. A lot of times homeschoolers know the people in direct contact with them and not a whole lot of peers. I think that this would be great. Will it get abused? Sure. But don't the rules get abused in the public schools right now also? I say give these kids a chance to be part of something.

Awesome post :Thumbs:
Is there any websites you can visit to keep up with this bill, like to see how its doing in the process of getting passed? Or does any1 know when we can find out if it passed or failed.
I think the home school student should be able to play but only for the school in their district.

The grade thing worries me so maybe some kind of test could be put in pace and they, the home school student would have to score a certain number on it to show they are up to par as far as the school work goes.
NEWARKCATHOLICFAN Wrote:I think the home school student should be able to play but only for the school in their district.

The grade thing worries me so maybe some kind of test could be put in pace and they, the home school student would have to score a certain number on it to show they are up to par as far as the school work goes.

My guess is thats what they would do. I was reading about this for another state, and someone put they had to take a yearly test and stuff to see if they are up to par with other students there age.
NEWARKCATHOLICFAN Wrote:I think the home school student should be able to play but only for the school in their district.

We took our oldest son out of public schools because they wanted to promote him two grade levels higher. My wife and I didn't feel it was in his best interest, socially, to do this. We all know many older kids often give younger/smarter kids a hard time. For that reason, we decided to home school him. His academic progress over the last year and half of being home schooled is remarkable. He will be 8 years old next month, and is on 4th grade level in all subjects except math, math he is on a 6th grade level.

Our youngest son is not as intellectually gifted as our older son, but he is on par with other public school Kindergartners. We home school him for an entirely different reason. He has severe food allergies, along with an esophagus disorder, and we can't risk him eating something that could make him extremely sick, or worsen his disorder. For example, he is allergic to all corn products, chicken, dairy, wheat, barely, peas, fish, etc. It's tough to find food products served in a public school system that doesn't contain one of those ingredients.

Also, I agree with you that kids should be able to play sports in their local school district. We home school both of our boys, they are 7 and 4, and I think they should be allowed to play sports in our local district. Currently, they both are young, and can play the city league sports (little league, peewee, junior pro, etc.) However, they can't play at a public school. There are no city league tackle football teams here in my area, just flag, and my oldest wants to play tackle football. He could play grade school starting next year. Why should Kentucky kids, that excel academically, be penalized for being home schooled? I could understand if their grades are not on par with Kentucky Board of Education academic requirements. However, my oldest son has already proven that his academic progression exceeds what is required by the school district to qualify for playing sports at a public school.

Anyway, I have heard, don't know if there is any truth to it, that they could play for sports at a private/independent school such as Pikeville Independent. Does anyone know the policies concerning home schooled children playing for a private school in the same district?
torQQue Wrote:We took our oldest son out of public schools because they wanted to promote him two grade levels higher. My wife and I didn't feel it was in his best interest, socially, to do this. We all know many older kids often give younger/smarter kids a hard time. For that reason, we decided to home school him. His academic progress over the last year and half of being home schooled is remarkable. He will be 8 years old next month, and is on 4th grade level in all subjects except math, math he is on a 6th grade level.

Our youngest son is not as intellectually gifted as our older son, but he is on par with other public school Kindergartners. We home school him for an entirely different reason. He has severe food allergies, along with an esophagus disorder, and we can't risk him eating something that could make him extremely sick, or worsen his disorder. For example, he is allergic to all corn products, chicken, dairy, wheat, barely, peas, fish, etc. It's tough to find food products served in a public school system that doesn't contain one of those ingredients.

Also, I agree with you that kids should be able to play sports in their local school district. We home school both of our boys, they are 7 and 4, and I think they should be allowed to play sports in our local district. Currently, they both are young, and can play the city league sports (little league, peewee, junior pro, etc.) However, they can't play at a public school. There are no city league tackle football teams here in my area, just flag, and my oldest wants to play tackle football. He could play grade school starting next year. Why should Kentucky kids, that excel academically, be penalized for being home schooled? I could understand if their grades are not on par with Kentucky Board of Education academic requirements. However, my oldest son has already proven that his academic progression exceeds what is required by the school district to qualify for playing sports at a public school.

Anyway, I have heard, don't know if there is any truth to it, that they could play for sports at a private/independent school such as Pikeville Independent. Does anyone know the policies concerning home schooled children playing for a private school in the same district?

That's a very good question. I've always wondered that myself. Policies may be different in some areas though.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:That's a very good question. I've always wondered that myself. Policies may be different in some areas though.

As far as I know, it doesnt matter if your homeschooled in grade school and want to play sports, because I know a kid who is, and he plays for Wesley Christian School in basketball. But in high school, any school that is in the KHSAA, a homeschooler is prohibited.
15th region slamdunk Wrote:As far as I know, it doesnt matter if your homeschooled in grade school and want to play sports, because I know a kid who is, and he plays for Wesley Christian School in basketball. But in high school, any school that is in the KHSAA, a homeschooler is prohibited.

That's good news, if in fact that is the case. My son's could play during grade school, and hopefully by the time they reach High School, the KHSAA's policies concerning home schooled athletes will be changed.
torQQue Wrote:That's good news, if in fact that is the case. My son's could play during grade school, and hopefully by the time they reach High School, the KHSAA's policies concerning home schooled athletes will be changed.

I hope they change the rule before next season so I can play my senior year! lol. Played all through grade school and some my freshman year, but decided to get homeschooled after that. Come on Pass the bill! :Thumbs:
I'm against it.
If the parents are paying property taxes then their child should be able play as long as hes making the grades at home just like any other student/athlete.
Unfortuantely the schools around here are so political that any kid who is homeschooled would not get a fair shake due to political pressure on the coaches IMO.
Benchwarmer Wrote:I'm against it.

Would you mind sharing some of reason(s) you are against it?
No! If they are in need of home schooling then they have bigger problems to worry about that taking part in athletics with public school systems.
Wildcat Blue Wrote:No! If they are in need of home schooling then they have bigger problems to worry about that taking part in athletics with public school systems.

What? You make it sound like "EVERY" homeschool student has some kind of sickness, or couldnt stay out of trouble, so they decided to get homeschooled. IF the ones who want to play, are doing good in there homeschool, and are up to speed with other kids there age, why not let them play some kind of sport, for a school in there district? There parents are paying taxes so other children besides there own can play sports.
Wildcat Blue Wrote:No! If they are in need of home schooling then they have bigger problems to worry about that taking part in athletics with public school systems.

Obviously, you are stereotyping homeschooled children when you say they have "problems." Could you please back that statement up with some peer reviewed research and facts? What exactly was the "bigger problems" Tim Tebow had/has? Your argument is weak, and you seem like the one with the problems? I guess you must of been homeschooled too.

You present no facts, no research to back up your ridiculous claims. I find it offensive to my two sons that you just assume homeschooled kids have problems.

Did you read my post about why my children are homeschooled? The "problem" my oldest son has is that he is intellectually and academically gifted. At 7 soon to be 8, he has the academic equivalence of a typical 6th grader. The public schools thought he should be promoted a minimum of two grade levels because that's the only way they could stimulate him academically. The problem with that is, he is not mature enough socially to be thrown in with 5th or 6th graders. I don't want to risk his self esteem and confidence simply because he academically gifted. His mom and I can challenge and meet his academic requirements here at home without running the risk of socially damaging him. He may be smarter than most kids his age, but he is still just 7 years old, that enjoys interacting/playing with children his age. He has participated in city league sports since he has been 3 yeas old. He has many friends in his age group that he interacts/plays with. He has no problems whatsover. A very typical 7 year old, other than be gifted academically.

My youngest son is homeschooled, not because he is academically gifted, but because he has severe food allergies and an esophagus disorder. We are not going to run the risk that he is given a food at school that could make extremely sick and/or worsen his condition. However, because he is sick and requires special attention doesn't mean he is handicapped. He should be able to participate in sports if he meets the KHSAA academic guidelines for sports participation. Why penalize the homeschooled children if they are on par academically with the public schooled children?

Also, why do you assume homeschooling is bad? Do you assume that all parents are not qualified to teach their children? My wife and I both are 4.0 Masters degree graduates. I have earned ABD status toward my doctorate, and have taught as an adjunct at the college level. I think we are more than qualified enough to teach our children. Our kids get more one on one time that they would ever get in a school system. The average teacher to student ratio for a primary education teacher in Kentucky is 17:1 for public schools, 6:1 for private schools, and 1:1 or 1:2 for homeschooled, depending whether or not both parents participate. I rest easier at night, knowing my kids are receiving quality "one on one" academic instruction and guidance.

I don't anticipate you replying back to this post because obviously you have a "personal agenda," without any facts to back up your ridiculous claim concerning homeschooled children.
What a ridiculous post!!!

Do you realize that many, possibly even most, home schooled children's parents CHOOSE to home school rather that subject their children to the mediocrity of a public school education?
I found this article about it, it has a video and everything, it interviews parents and coaches. They also said it could be " a long time before this bill gets passed (if it gets passed) and maybe even longer for it to take effect" http://tristatehomepage.com/content/fulltext/?cid=50981
torQQue Wrote:Would you mind sharing some of reason(s) you are against it?

Why am I against it? If the schools system is not good enough for certain children then why should it be good enough for them to be active in those school systems sports program? I asked this same question earlier and know one answered. Most of us know that so many kids are being home schooled by parents that can't even function on their own. I'm not trying tick anyone of here.
FOX SPORTS Wrote:What a ridiculous post!!!

Do you realize that many, possibly even most, home schooled children's parents CHOOSE to home school rather that subject their children to the mediocrity of a public school education?

Do what? What a ridiculous post!
Do you realize that some hard working teachers spend their life trying to help and teach children?

Very naive and narrow minded of you to think this way. I know several families that have home schooled their children and a lot of thought went into each case. Iwould hate for people to think of home schooled kids as having some big problem.
Benchwarmer Wrote:Do what? What a ridiculous post!
Do you realize that some hard working teachers spend their life trying to help and teach children?
I do realize that.
We have a few GREAT, hard working teachers.

Do you realize that some hard working PARENTS spend their life trying to help and teach their children? And give them the individual advanced education that a public school cannot?

I am sorry, many school districts simply are average and are too concerned about test scores. Plus they spend more time trying to bring up the score of the struggling student rather than give the gifted or even above average student the individual attention they need and deserve also to prepare them for a secondary education.

I have spoken with college professors from KY, WV, and VA.
They all speak of eastern KY kids, as a whole, being unprepared for a college curriculum.
Some students with excellent grades in high school even end up in remedial college classes to "catch up" before entering traditional college classes.
I don't think they should.

If you're talking about the students who were forced to home school because of a serious illness, etc., then they physically couldn't play in the first place.

If you're talking about an adult choosing to send their child to home school, then they should still be refused for eligibility for the reason that some of those parents might use the advantage of making their children eligible for sports. It's unfair for other students who are in home school and put education above athletics as they should, but it must be done for the best of the home-schooled students as a whole.