Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville- 62 Shelby Valley- 51
congrats panthers...you wanted it more...like everyone else said...this loss IMO is good for valley...get em next time wildcats...
Junk Yard Dog Wrote:Maybe this game will be a wake up call for SV

yes i think your right. and valley will quickly recover
Congrats Pikeville
It seems that SV is doing some searching lately because they just dont seem like the Valley of old. They were the team that was different because they truly had a sense of team first and individual second. The loss of Newsome has made a difference in this team. I think they will regroup and finish strong as the season goes on....
valley will win region
Surprise Surprise Surprise!!! All I have read on here is how there was no way that Paintsville could be SV !!!!! Shelby Valley couldn't even make it to them!!!!! Smile
Congrats Pikeville.

Best of luck against Paintsville.
Valley is just struggling, nothing more, nothing less you can say than that! Taking nothing away from the Panthers for sure..BIG UPSET AND ENJOY! Now let's see if this win was for real because Paintsville will be ready!
congrats pikeville. good luck against paintsville. could be anyones ball game depending on which team comes to play. get your heads togethe sv and stick it to the panthers next friday.
powerplay Wrote:valley will win region

IMO it's up in the air. I think they are still one of the favorites.
Congrats to Pikeville, Coach Williams and staff, and the players for this victory. No surprise to me, I felt that SV from the last meeting would be over looking them a little and was anticipating the Tigers tomorrow night. However, the Panthers made the changes needed to hand SV their first loss to an in-district team this season.
Here is my take on the game. Pikeville just wanted it more than Shelby Valley. Shelby Valley may have been looking forward to playing Paintsville on Saturday. But they didnt seem to come out with the tough defense that SV is known for. Pikeville was better prepared for SV than SV was for Pikeville. I think Matt controlled the game for Pikeville. He didnt force shots, spread the court and made SV work more on defense than they are used to. Pikeville never quit attacking the goal. Dev was a factor on the inside for Pikeville. All things considering I think the real turning point in the contest was the "T" in the 4th. Pikeville had a small lead and the 4 free throws and the ball back was a big boost. I feel like Valley was settling for the 3's where Pikeville was driving to the goal.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
First off, congrats to Pikeville on a big win. It sounded like they played with a lot more passion and drive than Shelby Valley, and they deserved to win.

Pikeville was bound to win one of these games, and better now than later I guess. The All A would have been nice but the one in March is what really matters. Much like Elliot County, Shelby Valley probably simply overlooked their opponent in this one and Pikeville knew they could win from the get go. I figured at the half that it was Pikeville's night as they finished on a 9-0 run to cut the lead to one.

This game was even hard to listen to on the radio, I don't want to know how bad it actually looked. No idea why Shelby Valley kept jacking up 3's instead of working it inside and at least trying to get to the FT line. Another thing I thought was strange listening to it was that Shelby Valley played careless and made several lazy passes. Pikeville seemed to get into the lane way too easy in this game. I haven't watched Shelby Valley play this season but I did last year and I'd love to know where that aggressive defense went that tore teams up last season.

Hopefully this loss smacks them in the face and they come out ready to take care of business for the rest of the season. It sounds like they left their game on the bus tonight. Maybe this loss, much like Elliot County's will help them both in the long run.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If anyone on here was in Pikeville's pep section tonight, please send me a pm.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:Here is my take on the game. Pikeville just wanted it more than Shelby Valley. Shelby Valley may have been looking forward to playing Paintsville on Saturday. But they didnt seem to come out with the tough defense that SV is known for. Pikeville was better prepared for SV than SV was for Pikeville. I think Matt controlled the game for Pikeville. He didnt force shots, spread the court and made SV work more on defense than they are used to. Pikeville never quit attacking the goal. Dev was a factor on the inside for Pikeville. All things considering I think the real turning point in the contest was the "T" in the 4th. Pikeville had a small lead and the 4 free throws and the ball back was a big boost. I feel like Valley was settling for the 3's where Pikeville was driving to the goal.

Good post. It sounded like Shelby Valley was scared to take it inside where Adams was lurking tonight, so they thought 3's would work out, but unfortunately that isn't their game and I too wondered why they didn't play the usual tough defense. Pikeville did a great job of getting in the lane and scoring or drawing fouls and Shelby Valley stayed outside most of the game.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Congrats Pikeville!! Good Luck tomorrow night!!!
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:All things considering I think the real turning point in the contest was the "T" in the 4th. Pikeville had a small lead and the 4 free throws and the ball back was a big boost.

I agree, IMO the "T" in the 4th was a huge factor in this game.
No doubt. Take the 4 throws and the basket off, and its a 1 possession game a couple of times there at the end, thus changing the gameplan and playcalling completely. Was this sorta surprising for the kid to react that way? Not asking for anything negative, but was his reaction completely out of the ordinary for him?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The thing with Valley in the games I have seen them play this season which has been this one and Pike Central. When they get down they get lazy, and take stupid shots. It's like they are to worried about losing the game rather then trying to find a way to get back into it. The rush into shooting threes every trip down the floor when they are down. Until they realize the way to come back is work the ball around until you get a good solid open look, then they will not win many ball games against good teams when they get down. I think the difference maker in this game was the play of Adams. As well as the late foul+T on Bryant. IMO it was a clean take away from the way I saw it and the T was just a stupied move on his part.

Did anyone that watched it on TV see the Valley fan trying to get down to court level idk what that was about but I thought for sure something bad was about to happen.
Unofficial stats for the game.

For Valley:

Ashley Hatfield had 13 points and 7 rebounds.
Jonah Justice had 13 points and 3 rebounds.
Elisha Justice had 9 points, 4 rebounds, 6 steals, and 3 assists.
Tyler Newsome had 6 points and 4 rebounds.
Jacob Bryant had 5 points, 7 rebounds, and 6 assists.
Logan Bryant had 5 points and 2 assists.

The Wildcats shot 22-59 (37%) from the field.
They shot 5-25 (20 %) from the 3 point line.
They shot 2-3 (67%) from the free throw line.
They had 28 rebounds, 14 assists, 14 steals, and 12 turnovers.

For Pikeville:

Matt Clevinger had 14 points and 4 rebounds.
Deven Adams had 13 points, 10 rebounds, and 4 blocks.
Honaker, Bell, and Clark all played good games.

The Panthers shot 20-39 (51%) from the field.
They shot 5-12 (41%) from the 3 point line.
They shot 17-24 (70%) from the free throw line.
They had 26 rebounds, 10 assists, 5 steals, and 15 turnovers.

Good game and good luck Panthers.
does any1 know where a video is on this game because id love to see it
Wink GREAT win Panthers!!!! Congrats Coach Williams!
Congrats Pikeville!

Thought it would happen, Valley had to much confidence for this game.
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:Unofficial stats for the game.

For Valley:

The Wildcats shot 22-59 (37%) from the field.
They had 28 rebounds, 14 assists, 14 steals, and 12 turnovers.

For Pikeville:

They had 26 rebounds, 10 assists, 5 steals, and 15 turnovers.

25 attempts from behind the arc is unusual for SV. Also a huge difference in FT attempts. Not knocking the refs, this could be due to SV's inability to get to the basket. Sometimes teams that don't attack the basket don't get very many FT's
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:The Wildcats shot 22-59 (37%) from the field.

Wow. Complete opposites.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PC_You_Know Wrote:I'd like to see the stats and fouls for this game, internet sounded like there were like twice the amount of fouls called on Valley then when they played at Valley.

Congrats Pikeville, go beat Paintsville.

Sour grapes!! :baby: The refs are always bad. Good teams just have to deal with it. For what it is worth, I still think that Valley is better, they just didn't show up tonight. Good thing thing they lost tonight and that they didn't bring that game into the finals against Paintsville.
Will the Pikeville / Paintsville game be televised online tomorrow?
alfus21 Wrote:Wow. Complete opposites.
Especially the 25 threes.
Congrats Panthers!
big win for pikeville