Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bell County 24 Belfry 22
(11-11-2023, 12:54 AM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:
(11-11-2023, 12:39 AM)Truewords Wrote:
(11-11-2023, 12:21 AM)pirateforlife Wrote:
(11-11-2023, 12:14 AM)Truewords Wrote:
(11-11-2023, 12:02 AM)pirateforlife Wrote:
(11-10-2023, 11:56 PM)Micro-Brew Wrote: How has Belfry’s middle school dominated for like 20 years but their high school continues to have early round playoff exits? I keep seeing pictures of all Belfry’s middle school rings on social media but yet they seem to not even be able to be the best team in the county through high school. Is it coaching or something else? Do they get satisfied with middle school prowess? Are they just older in middle school and it catches up at high school? I’m kinda taking a jab but also asking seriously?
Do what???!!! They’ve won 6 out of the last 10 state championships in 3a. What do you mean? Last 2 seasons have been the only 2 exits before 3rd round since 2010. Please explain. They won a state championship in 2019 and 2021. Last year they were not very good. This year they were good and lost to another good team who id consider was upset by Rockcastle to force Bell vs Belfry round 2. I think tonight we saw what it felt like for Bell fans have to watch Dixon run all over them for 3 years with how Thomas ran. The kid runs hard and is shifty and hard to tackle. I hope Dudley wins him another title.
This years team is no better or worse than last years team. Will be no better or worse next year. A good team they will be but just good. Belfry was blessed with a 5th year Dixon and that is only reason they have last championship. Been to much hype on middle school teams. Many kids don’t play in high school and several of their better kids have left for whatever reason and the WV pipeline is probably closed or will flow south on 119.
I’m not really knowledgeable on the middle school teams so who has been good middle school players there that decided not to play HS? I know a couple left and went to Mingo but who is at Belfry that didn’t play who could have helped the team? And disagree 100% that this year team and last year were equal. Belfry was running clocked in the playoffs and a lot last year but every game they lost was competitive this year.
Last years Ashland team that beat belfry was much better than this years bell county. Several opponents on last year’s schedule were also better. This year they at least attempted to initiate a pass threat. No player in particular am I saying isn’t playing just thru high school years many kids do not play all way thru high school. Look at last years and this years senior class. Small classes both years. Good quality players just not many of them. Belfry does return large numbers next year but everyone they loose this year hurts. Young and Woolum are big time players. Woolum was really only pass receiving threat this year. Lose a couple quality linemen. So next year will be only as good as this year and last year. Still will get beat by Pikeville and couple others. Probably win district again though.

Next year you will see marked improved by the Pirates.  Last years team was ineffective.  This years team, while having some nice talent…simply didn’t have enough up front defensively to make any real type of run at a championship.  Too small, too light and missing quality LB play in the middle.  That should change next year.
Where are these new players coming from? Heywood will always go with 3 yards and cloud of dust approach when back against a wall. No one returns that is athlete that Woolum is. Varney will never be able to see how good he could be because of belfry system. So if you know of where added size upfront is coming from let us know. Biggest lineman they had is Stacey and he is 5th year senior. Queen was best d lineman this season and also a senior. I don’t see what you’re eluding to.
(11-11-2023, 01:08 AM)pirateforlife Wrote: Can someone let me know last time Belfry didn’t make 3rd round in consecutive seasons? I’d love to know what the staff was thinking on that last drive with the calls. Field goal was just as good as a td there.

Dudley out coached them. lol
[-] The following 1 user Likes pjdoug's post:
  • papagrit
Bell did the little things that proved the difference in a game of basically mirror image teams. The drive that died inside the ten was brutal. Belfry got cute and when they had a chance to kick the short field goal they compounded it by being cute again. Bell showed on the last drive that sometimes you have to trust the hand that got you there as Thomas made the plays breaking tackles and willing his team to victory.

The two point conversion may have been a blown call by the officials or it may not be, but it wasn’t what the cost the game.

Belfry really could have used several bodies that were suiting up for other teams tonight. Linebacker play and tackling was bad.

Dre Yoong played his heart out.

Daniel Thomas is a stud! Belfry limited his big play ability and he just grinded all night 5-15 yards at a time.
(11-11-2023, 01:22 AM)EKUAlum05 Wrote: Bell did the little things that proved the difference in a game of basically mirror image teams. The drive that died inside the ten was brutal. Belfry got cute and when they had a chance to kick the short field goal they compounded it by being cute again. Bell showed on the last drive that sometimes you have to trust the hand that got you there as Thomas made the plays breaking tackles and willing his team to victory.

The two point conversion may have been a blown call by the officials or it may not be, but it wasn’t what the cost the game.

Belfry really could have used several bodies that were suiting up for other teams tonight. Linebacker play and tackling was bad.

Dre Yoong played his heart out.

Daniel Thomas is a stud! Belfry limited his big play ability and he just grinded all night 5-15 yards at a time.
Too bad Belfry couldn’t get the refs they had regular season that was at Ashland last week. That 2 point conversion would have been good by 5 yards lol
(11-11-2023, 12:29 AM)Belfry fan 75 Wrote:  No way you can let Woolum carry as few times as he did. Most athletic kid on the field. And how can we just let them run it down our throats and not make changes to defensive line

No slight to anyone but Daniel Thomas was the most athletic kid on that field tonight and it’s not close. He will be Mr. Football and he very well may break the KHSAA single season rushing record next week which has stood for 54yrs. He also has a shot to break the rushing TD records as well. So at least it’s one of the best in state history that ran it down your throat.
[-] The following 1 user Likes fansville's post:
  • Glory_Days
(11-11-2023, 01:48 AM)fansville Wrote:
(11-11-2023, 12:29 AM)Belfry fan 75 Wrote:  No way you can let Woolum carry as few times as he did. Most athletic kid on the field. And how can we just let them run it down our throats and not make changes to defensive line

No slight to anyone but Daniel Thomas was the most athletic kid on that field tonight and it’s not close. He will be Mr. Football and he very well may break the KHSAA single season rushing record next week which has stood for 54yrs. He also has a shot to break the rushing TD records as well. So at least it’s one of the best in state history that ran it down your throat.
Thomas is all that and some extra. But no one got to see what Woolum could do with only roughly 5 touches. Young was playing his guts out tonight but if you could have added some plays to get Woolum in space then you make belfry harder to deal with and possibly convert on some of those big stops deep in Bell territory. Never will know now. Congratulations to Bell County and hope you make it to Kroger.

True, kid was a stud. Bell will fall off after this year, he was all they had, which was enough!
(11-11-2023, 01:55 AM)Belfry_99 Wrote:

True, kid was a stud. Bell will fall off after this year, he was all they had, which was enough!
Agree. He’s their Isaac Dixon. Physical runner who does not want to be tackled
[-] The following 1 user Likes pirateforlife's post:
  • BobcatForever
(11-11-2023, 01:55 AM)Belfry_99 Wrote:

The QB Burnett showed he’s a stud tonight. 3 passes that were absolute beauties. All they needed to do tonight was turn and hand it off to run the clock in the second half but if they ever need to go to a second option they can.

Bell really focused on not giving up contain and letting them get outside which opened it up inside. They decided that letting the pitch beat you for the 4th time in 5 years ain’t happening make the fullback run between the tackles. The fullback was a stud but they slowed him down enough to win. I seen where a bunch of people said they should’ve gave it to woolum but bells defense was not giving up anything to the outside so the QBs read was to give to 5. Great defensive effort by the bobcats, forced two turnover on downs inside the 20.
Was really pulling for Belfry in this one but I knew deep down from experience Thomas is the real deal and a player who refuses to loose. Would have made life much easier in round 3 if Belfry could have pulled out the victory! Oh well it what it is and you have to play the hand dealt congrats Bell!
Thomas broke 3000 yards tonight, he will likely break the state record in yards and tds next week.
(11-11-2023, 01:15 AM)pjdoug Wrote:
(11-11-2023, 01:08 AM)pirateforlife Wrote: Can someone let me know last time Belfry didn’t make 3rd round in consecutive seasons? I’d love to know what the staff was thinking on that last drive with the calls. Field goal was just as good as a td there.

Dudley out coached them. lol
I agree.  The Wizard of the gridiron strikes again.  lol
[-] The following 1 user Likes papagrit's post:
  • pjdoug
(11-11-2023, 02:32 AM)SmashMouth17 Wrote: Was really pulling for Belfry in this one but I knew deep down from experience Thomas is the real deal and a player who refuses to loose. Would have made life much easier in round 3 if Belfry could have pulled out the victory! Oh well it what it is and you have to play the hand dealt congrats Bell!

I'm no longer a fan of yours if you were pulling for West Virginians over Bell County. You're an impostor Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like pjdoug's post:
  • BobcatForever, papagrit
(11-10-2023, 11:56 PM)Micro-Brew Wrote: How has Belfry’s middle school dominated for like 20 years but their high school continues to have early round playoff exits? I keep seeing pictures of all Belfry’s middle school rings on social media but yet they seem to not even be able to be the best team in the county through high school. Is it coaching or something else? Do they get satisfied with middle school prowess? Are they just older in middle school and it catches up at high school? I’m kinda taking a jab but also asking seriously?
Feel like you kinda don't know belfry football 
2016 state title
2019 state title 
2020 state semi finals
2021 state title 

3 state titles in the last 7 years even more I go back more last one in 2021 I am not seeing how they are constantly getting booted early
Does Coach Haywood call the offensive plays?
One thing that I was a little surprised with was the size of the crowd for Belfry. I figured the bleachers would be full for this one but it wasn’t. When my son played and years after he graduated the bleachers were full for games like this. Just don’t have much of them atmospheres anymore. I can remember the 2010 vs Somerset or 2105 vs Corbin or even 2018 vs Boyle. Cam was rocking those nights but last night was not the case.
(11-11-2023, 09:16 AM)Advicegiver74 Wrote:
Feel like you kinda don't know belfry football 
2016 state title
2019 state title 
2020 state semi finals
2021 state title 

3 state titles in the last 7 years even more I go back more  last one in 2021 I am not seeing how they are constantly getting booted early
Belfry has good teams year in and year out just not always State Championship level. They had a run for several years they were 3 deep almost every position. No one had to play both ways. Those days are over. Total numbers in school and on team are down. Kids who are good football players are leaving and that never happened till last 5/6 years. More in last 2 years. WV kids will stay there to play for Jones. Pikeville is currently on a run with top notch facilities and many other things Belfry doesn’t or will not offer. Belfry will continue to have good teams foreseeable future just no State Championship level teams.
(11-11-2023, 10:33 AM)pirateforlife Wrote: One thing that I was a little surprised with was the size of the crowd for Belfry. I figured the bleachers would be full for this one but it wasn’t. When my son played and years after he graduated the bleachers were full for games like this. Just don’t have much of them atmospheres anymore. I can remember the 2010 vs Somerset or 2105 vs Corbin or even 2018 vs Boyle. Cam was rocking those nights but last night was not the case.

I don't remember the exact year that we played at Belfry, but it was magnificent.  I had two babies on HC's team, and Whitey Gibbs' son played directly against my baby.  My baby was 6'4" and 305.  I jaw jacked for an entire week with Belfry fans; especially Whitey.  We were going to fight under the bleachers!!!  SO MUCH trash talking that entire week; I think I may have gotten banned for 3 days.  

But by the time I got to Belfry, I was carrying 3 homemade cakes for tailgating.  I, and all HC fans, had been invited to eat together with Belfry fans.  It was a gorgeous night, too.  I will never ever forget that experience!!!  I made some life long relationships that night!!

AND, you couldn't get another fan in the bleachers with a shoe horn!  On either side!!!  It was loud, obnoxious and furious.  I LOVED IT!!!
[-] The following 4 users Like Granny Bear's post:
  • BobcatForever, Glory_Days, pjdoug, skully03
(11-11-2023, 10:50 AM)Granny Bear Wrote:
(11-11-2023, 10:33 AM)pirateforlife Wrote: One thing that I was a little surprised with was the size of the crowd for Belfry. I figured the bleachers would be full for this one but it wasn’t. When my son played and years after he graduated the bleachers were full for games like this. Just don’t have much of them atmospheres anymore. I can remember the 2010 vs Somerset or 2105 vs Corbin or even 2018 vs Boyle. Cam was rocking those nights but last night was not the case.

I don't remember the exact year that we played at Belfry, but it was magnificent.  I had two babies on HC's team, and Whitey Gibbs' son played directly against my baby.  My baby was 6'4" and 305.  I jaw jacked for an entire week with Belfry fans; especially Whitey.  We were going to fight under the bleachers!!!  SO MUCH trash talking that entire week; I think I may have gotten banned for 3 days.  

But by the time I got to Belfry, I was carrying 3 homemade cakes for tailgating.  I, and all HC fans, had been invited to eat together with Belfry fans.  It was a gorgeous night, too.  I will never ever forget that experience!!!  I made some life long relationships that night!!

AND, you couldn't get another fan in the bleachers with a shoe horn!  On either side!!!  It was loud, obnoxious and furious.  I LOVED IT!!!
They Have Some of the best fans i have seen they are competitive and they Love their Pirates and I am Sure they have some just like everyone that kind of gives the program a bad look but you cant judge the programs on those fans Congratulations Belfry On a Good season and a heck of a game!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes BobcatForever's post:
  • Granny Bear
Congrats Bell anytime you can come to Pond Creek and win a playoff game I don't care who you are, you deserve it!!
[-] The following 2 users Like Hoss Cat's post:
  • BobcatForever, jax
Bobcat fans, maybe a little early but how does life look without Thomas in the future? We know what it was like to lose Dixon. Really hurt but just wondering how you guys expect Bell County football to look once he graduates.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pirateforlife's post:
  • BobcatForever
(11-11-2023, 12:42 AM)ROTC Wrote: Was this Dudley’s first career win over Heywood???

Nah. Dudley had a good run against him in the 90’s.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Franchise's post:
  • BobcatForever
(11-11-2023, 01:00 PM)Franchise Wrote:
(11-11-2023, 12:42 AM)ROTC Wrote: Was this Dudley’s first career win over Heywood???

Nah. Dudley had a good run against him in the 90’s.
I watched WYMT’s postgame interview of Dudley after the win and the interviewer asked his thoughts about Bell’s first win over Belfry and he was quick to let her know it wasn’t the first and that they had a run in the 90’s. Thought it was funny. You can tell the WYMT crew is not from this area.
(11-11-2023, 10:50 AM)Granny Bear Wrote:

I remember traveling the winding road through the mountains and passing coal trucks on the way to watch Whitley County play against Belfry at Vipperman,   then going to Cam Stadium later. I wonder if any pirates would eat with me? or would they put a hit out  on me? lol
(11-11-2023, 12:24 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: Bobcat fans, maybe a little early but how does life look without Thomas in the future? We know what it was like to lose Dixon. Really hurt but just wondering how you guys expect Bell County football to look once he graduates.
You Are Definitely going to miss a player like Thomas got some good young backs but it will take two or 3 of them to come close line will be different you lose all of o line except for 1 or 2 i think other night on d line we started all under classmen
[-] The following 1 user Likes BobcatForever's post:
  • Granny Bear
full crowds and expecting to play on thanksgiving weekend
isnt it crazy how fast things change
(11-11-2023, 05:57 AM)pjdoug Wrote:
(11-11-2023, 02:32 AM)SmashMouth17 Wrote: Was really pulling for Belfry in this one but I knew deep down from experience Thomas is the real deal and a player who refuses to loose. Would have made life much easier in round 3 if Belfry could have pulled out the victory! Oh well it what it is and you have to play the hand dealt congrats Bell!

I'm no longer a fan of yours if you were pulling for West Virginians over Bell County. You're an impostor Big Grin
Lol but dougie! Would you rather your Colonels play East Carter or Lexington Catholic when the latter you have never beat and sit at like 0-5? It was like come on 2 points why not kick a FG
(11-11-2023, 03:00 PM)SmashMouth17 Wrote:

Lol but dougie! Would you rather your Colonels play East Carter or Lexington Catholic when the latter you have never beat and sit at like 0-5? It was like come on 2 points why not kick a FG
I disown you. lol
(11-11-2023, 08:54 PM)pjdoug Wrote:

I disown you. lol
Lol dang I even have to add you that list now soon I won’t have anyone left dougie only you understood my enthusiasm and got my whit and crazy sense of humor now what am I do? I was only looking out for the easiest path to glory I could find lmao now we get stuck with one of if not the hardest an looks like bell screwed me even on the year we beat them lol dang that Dudley! Hahha screw it give me Liberty or give me death haha
(11-11-2023, 09:18 PM)SmashMouth17 Wrote:
(11-11-2023, 08:54 PM)pjdoug Wrote:

I disown you. lol
Lol dang I even have to add you that list now soon I won’t have anyone left dougie only you understood my enthusiasm and got my whit and crazy sense of humor now what am I do? I was only looking out for the easiest path to glory I could find lmao now we get stuck with one of if not the hardest an looks like bell screwed me even on the year we beat them lol dang that Dudley! Hahha screw it give me Liberty or give me death haha

LOL!