Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Breathitt County
52.33%
Russell
47.67%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
12-0 Breathitt County @ 11-1 Russell
Pepper Wrote:If the Devils load up the box then the Bobcats will burn them with there screens, draws, and shovel passes.

Russell doesn't load the box, usually don't need too, the pass is the gonna be the main concern for the Devils. If Russell has to load the box, then its gonna be a long night for the Russell faithful. I dont see that happening though, we have been real tough against the run all year, dont see that changing, Breathitt is good, but if they are good enough to run all over Russell, well then they will walk to a state title.
My fear is that the achilles heel of this team may really get exploited by Breathitt...We definitely will not be able to play from behind in this one...Our secondary will really have to step up and I just don't know if they can for a whole game where they will be constantly pressured?? I'll be there to support as usual but this one really makes me nervous...Breathitt will definitely be the favorite...Appears they will be the best we have played to this point...If the pass defense plays the way they have at times this year I am afraid we could lose big...I am in no way being negtive...I am just making honest comments based on what I have witnessed this year...Anyone who gets on here being cocky this week about Breathitt will just be showing their lack of knowledge and could look foolish on Friday...This Russell team can win this game...I have yet to see a game in the last few years where I felt they couldn't win...But, this reminds me a little of how I felt in '04 when we played the last game in Vipperman Stadium for a chance at the Championship game...I knew that team could beat Belfry but I also felt that it was going to take an almost perfect game to do so...

Lets have a good week of preparation!!
I cannot believe how quiet our crowds have been the last few games. We need to get those kids fired up for these games. They really respond to us! We have seen time after time that the first quarter is always a "nail biter". Until they are backed into a corner then they come out and find a way to play smash mouth ball. I agree with you 100 % devil58. We don't have this problem when we play the locals. I m just worried that the crowd tells them they don't have a chance when we don't support them like we do when Ashland or Boyd comes to town. I see a lot of young talent on this years team. I guess its old news to the Independent when Russell goes back to the playoffs every year. What kid doesn't like seeing their picture in the paper.
This game could go either way, but I am going with Russell.
IMO, should be the game of the week in the state.
Breathitt County by a TD.
Good Luck Russell !!!

I agree, prolly the best game in the State !
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
devil58 Wrote:My fear is that the achilles heel of this team may really get exploited by Breathitt...We definitely will not be able to play from behind in this one...Our secondary will really have to step up and I just don't know if they can for a whole game where they will be constantly pressured?? I'll be there to support as usual but this one really makes me nervous...Breathitt will definitely be the favorite...Appears they will be the best we have played to this point...If the pass defense plays the way they have at times this year I am afraid we could lose big...I am in no way being negtive...I am just making honest comments based on what I have witnessed this year...Anyone who gets on here being cocky this week about Breathitt will just be showing their lack of knowledge and could look foolish on Friday...This Russell team can win this game...I have yet to see a game in the last few years where I felt they couldn't win...But, this reminds me a little of how I felt in '04 when we played the last game in Vipperman Stadium for a chance at the Championship game...I knew that team could beat Belfry but I also felt that it was going to take an almost perfect game to do so...

Lets have a good week of preparation!!
You know what. Call me a fool but I actually feel pretty confident about this game. I do agree that this game reminds me of the Russell/Belfry game in 04. But for different reasons. In that game Belfry had played some tough games and been tested throughout the season. Russell was breezing through that 04 season. They were never really challenged util the semifinals against the Pirates.

The roles seem to be reversed in this one. Russell has played a VERY GOOD Mason Co team twice along with Raceland and Simon Kenton late in the year. They have seen spread teams and they have seen power teams.

Breathitt really hasn't been challenged since LCA and before that by Prestonsburg and Boyd County early in the season.

I'm not being cocky on this one but I do like Russell's chances.
russell-21
breathitt-16
Breathitt has played:
3-4A schools
5-3A schools
2-2A schools
1-1A school

Russell has played:
1-6A school
1-5A school
3-4A schools
5-3A schools
1-1A school

Russells only loss was by 1-point to a 6A school................................
I would have to agree with FBALL, I think we can beat them and the way our kids are focused right now. I say Russell 28...........Breathitt 21.
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
We can beat this team I just wonder if they are going to show any EMOTION for this game, it just seems like they are playing with no emotion at times, don't get me wrong they do go out and play to get the job done, it just that they don't do it with any emotions what-so-ever.
I would like to see the crowd get into it a little more also, I believe if the crowd gets into a little more then maybe the players will to.
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Breathitt has played:
3-4A schools
5-3A schools
2-2A schools
1-1A school

Russell has played:
1-6A school
1-5A school
3-4A schools
5-3A schools
1-1A school

Russells only loss was by 1-point to a 6A school................................
I would have to agree with FBALL, I think we can beat them and the way our kids are focused right now. I say Russell 28...........Breathitt 21.

I agree. I think Russell has had a harder schedule that Breathitt.
DEVIL89 Wrote:We can beat this team I just wonder if they are going to show any EMOTION for this game, it just seems like they are playing with no emotion at times, don't get me wrong they do go out and play to get the job done, it just that they don't do it with any emotions what-so-ever.

I tend to agree with you somewhat, but I have noticed a pick up here in the last 4 games. Adam Foster seems to the emotional ring-leader on the team this year. When he gets fired up, it can be contagious. Tyler Jones has also been there as well. The rest seem to play off of those 2.

This is not to say there are not others (in the huddle or on the sidelines doing the same thing but quieter and less vocal). These are just the two IMO who I see from the stands each week.

As for the crowd, I thought last night was the most vocal the crowd had been from the beginning of the game all year except for maybe the Ashland game. But the crowd was still down (estimate was only around 2500) We need to fill the home side from the bottom up next week and start an hr from the game when the team comes out for warmups blowing our horns and ringing our bells.
I picked Breathitt to win this one, but it wouldn't suprise me to see Russell to win at their home.
FBALL Wrote:You know what. Call me a fool but I actually feel pretty confident about this game. I do agree that this game reminds me of the Russell/Belfry game in 04. But for different reasons. In that game Belfry had played some tough games and been tested throughout the season. Russell was breezing through that 04 season. They were never really challenged util the semifinals against the Pirates.

The roles seem to be reversed in this one. Russell has played a VERY GOOD Mason Co team twice along with Raceland and Simon Kenton late in the year. They have seen spread teams and they have seen power teams.

Breathitt really hasn't been challenged since LCA and before that by Prestonsburg and Boyd County early in the season.

Yeah, this one is going to be a tough one. For both teams. However, its all in the attitude. Who wants it more! Brethitt brings a passing game, and Russell has gotten better to the Passsing defense. But we all know that Russell gets sucked into the middle and plays a little too deep on the zone coverage. The slant kills us. But however adapting to those plays is Russell's greatest strength. I just hope our adapting isn't too late in the GAME!!
jgrubby Wrote:Yeah, this one is going to be a tough one. For both teams. However, its all in the attitude. Who wants it more! Brethitt brings a passing game, and Russell has gotten better to the Passsing defense. But we all know that Russell gets sucked into the middle and plays a little too deep on the zone coverage. The slant kills us. But however adapting to those plays is Russell's greatest strength. I just hope our adapting isn't too late in the GAME!!
Keeping it all in front of you will be the key to this game IMO. Make Breathitt work on offense with long drives. That increases the chance of mistake in a complex offense. Don't give up the quick scores. I would play concervative on defense and wear them down.

Russell will sustain drives with their running game. If they can keep up those long drives and make Breathitt use up some clock instead of the quick strike Russell wins this game.
My one question:
Dose Breathitt have any kind of running game?
If not, then i can see the Devils running the good ole Ocath Defense.
woods3030 Wrote:My one question:

Yes Breathitt runs the ball. They usually run the ball out of shotgun, but sometimes they will get into an I-formation. But if they do run it, it will more than likely be an option. But they are 60/40 pass.
woods3030 Wrote:My one question:
Running game is similar to what we saw at Raceland. They are a much, much better passing team though. Losts of screens and and quick hitters and then deep.
blackcat_student Wrote:Yes Breathitt runs the ball. They usually run the ball out of shotgun, but sometimes they will get into an I-formation. But if they do run it, it will more than likely be an option. But they are 60/40 pass.
I believe Breathitt beat Prestonsburg 12-7 earlier in the year. How was Prestonsburg successful at slowing down the Breathitt County offense?
FBALL Wrote:You know what. Call me a fool but I actually feel pretty confident about this game. I do agree that this game reminds me of the Russell/Belfry game in 04. But for different reasons. In that game Belfry had played some tough games and been tested throughout the season. Russell was breezing through that 04 season. They were never really challenged util the semifinals against the Pirates.

I'm not saying that we cannot beat these guys, I know we can...It's just that I have that nervous feeling about this game and I haven't had it in awhile...This year's team concerns me against a passing team like Breathitt because I believe their passing attack is probably a little better than Mason's and Mason moved the ball through the air pretty well all night...

I'll get a better idea of what to expect after I see Tracy on Tuesday...We'll compare them to O-Cath...Right Tracy!!
FBALL Wrote:I believe Breathitt beat Prestonsburg 12-7 earlier in the year. How was Prestonsburg successful at slowing down the Breathitt County offense?

The defensive formation we ran was the 4-3 and we played man to man coverage on there offense. The only thing that hurt us was the screens, and shovel passes, plus there line blew us of the ball almost everytime, and we relied on our linebackers and safeties to make tackles. But the thing that kept us in that game was that they couldn't hold onto the ball. We probably stripped it from them around three times and picked off Fugate once or twice, but there defense was just to quick and had more size and they had more players to rotate in and out, and we had most of our guys playing both sides of the ball. Thats what really killed us.

The Bobcats are very physical and they will hit you, they can also get to the ball quick. They are well coached and there staff knows what it takes to win games. If Russell calls the right plays then they should be able to make this a real good game, but if Russell doesn't make the right calls then that could really cost them come crunch time. There offensive line is big, and they know how to pass block, so it will be hard to get to Colby Fugate. I know most people are worried about there pass but they can run the ball just as good as anyone else Russell has faced.

Good Luck Devils!
blackcat_student Wrote:The defensive formation we ran was the 4-3 and we played man to man coverage on there offense. The only thing that hurt us was the screens, and shovel passes, plus there line blew us of the ball almost everytime, and we relied on our linebackers and safeties to make tackles. But the thing that kept us in that game was that they couldn't hold onto the ball. We probably stripped it from them around three times and picked off Fugate once or twice, but there defense was just to quick and had more size and they had more players to rotate in and out, and we had most of our guys playing both sides of the ball. Thats what really killed us.

The Bobcats are very physical and they will hit you, they can also get to the ball quick. They are well coached and there staff knows what it takes to win games. If Russell calls the right plays then they should be able to make this a real good game, but if Russell doesn't make the right calls then that could really cost them come crunch time. There offensive line is big, and they know how to pass block, so it will be hard to get to Colby Fugate. I know most people are worried about there pass but they can run the ball just as good as anyone else Russell has faced.

Good Luck Devils!
Thanks.

This should be a great game. Turnovers will probably be the difference. I doubt Russell goes man to man with their coverage.
Breathitt by 3
I highly doubt Russell will go with a man to man look, they just dont have the horses back there.
bobcats by 3
Hopefully Russell will have their pass defense locked up by Friday, I know that Breathitt is supposed to be much better in the passing department, but I don't think you could except much more of a better game than Mason had Friday, their QB was on the money with every pass, and the Receivers didn't drop any passes, and ran near perfect routes, so if Breathitt is way better, well then I hope UK is recruiting these kids because they will be All Americans, but short of them being All Americans at the next level, I look for Russell to control the clock, and keep this a relatively low scoring affair. Hopefully Russell will goto the air some to keep Breathitt honest.
This will be a **** of a game. Breathitt 21 Russell 24. Russell by a field goal.
Breathitt usually plays better on the road, they focus and I think that will help.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

Breathitt 30
Russell 20

I really think that the winner loses to Belfry, but at least one team gets to play another week.
Twitter: @tc_analytics