Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simon Kenton 42 Russell 41
Well i know how it fells for you guys to lose tonight but i did say SK would win on a last second play.
I also have to complain about some of the play calling when we had the ball with about 6:00 left in the game. It reminded me of last years state game by meaning of someone panicking when there was still plenty of time left.
Well maybe this will be our one lose to wake us up to prove that we are not invinsible.
You do have to remember that this is not a district game, even though the streak is over we still have a BIG, BIG, BIG district game next week. Let this game sink in and then get ready for next week.
Just a few things that worry me are...how is tylers ankle gonna hold up? apparently it was hurting him some during tonight to the point where he came out for a moment. so will that be a factor? also, where in the world is our secondary at? the next two games are gonna be very big for secondary and they better be busting their butts this week at practice but theres always time to improve. and lastly, dear lord can aj hold on to the freaking ball? now daddy can get all mad or whatever but imo he was built up a lot better than he is. im not wanting to be negative but he has got to hold on to the ball if he wants to play qb at Russell
Just remember this was not a district game and I know this hurts right now just let it go and get ready for a BIG, BIG, BIG district game next week.
A great game to watch.

This loss should hurt and hurt badly. I hope the players remember that feeling and build from it.

The positives:

Both teams played with alot of heart and intensity. It was obvious from the start.

Both offenses moved the ball well. Russell ran the ball well though Jones still looked a little gimpy on the ankle.

Both teams played well enough to win and made big plays. It was very entertaining to watch

The negatives:

Russells pass defense. IMO cover two with man underneath would have been better. Too many times the cornors and safety were isolated with no deep help. The young secondary really should have learned a lesson tonight.

Turnovers and silly penalties. Both teams had some turnovers but they were pretty even. The facemask penalty on the final play is something you cannot do. Russell had players in position and Ponzer was not going to score on the final play. He really did make a fabulous catch on that play though and this is just an example of never knowing what is going to happen and playing hard until the final horn.

Coaching:

I hate to say it but I really think Russell got out coached tonight. The onside kick with 11 seconds being the prime example. SK had one long kick return but Dolly has plenty of leg to kick it deep and should have done so. Why give SK the short field with so little time left.

In the end both teams should hold there heads up. They both made plays to win the game and played hard until the end. Simon Kenton gets a BIG win that should only boost their confidence. Russell played a team that could match up better physically with them and also played well enough to win.

Russell will be a factor in 3A. They need to get ready for a very good Mason County team and reamain positive.
Reddevil07 Wrote:Just a few things that worry me are...how is tylers ankle gonna hold up? apparently it was hurting him some during tonight to the point where he came out for a moment. so will that be a factor? also, where in the world is our secondary at? the next two games are gonna be very big for secondary and they better be busting their butts this week at practice but theres always time to improve. and lastly, dear lord can aj hold on to the freaking ball? now daddy can get all mad or whatever but imo he was built up a lot better than he is. im not wanting to be negative but he has got to hold on to the ball if he wants to play qb at Russell
I wouldn't be so hard on the kid. He did make some big plays as well. As for the fumble it sure looked like it was caused by the ground. Still gotta secure the ball but that was not the only fumble of the game.
Wow, I thought Russell would take this one.
DEVIL89 Wrote:I don't want the players on here to think I am talking about them I am talking about some of the coaching staff.
That's the same coaching staff that won the championship 2 years ago and got us back to the dance last year...They are not the ones on the field making or, in most cases tonight, not making plays...Coaches can only direct the players and get them in a position to win the game...They did that tonight...The problem is this IS NOT the same secondary we have had over the last 2-3 years...They are inexperienced and look like it 90% of the time...I would much rather see them be aggressive and make some mistakes rather than playing back on their heels and reacting to everything...The SK QB put the ball in the air for long periods of time and on many occassions the def back did not know where the ball was until it was caught for a TD...That's unacceptable...Hindsight is 20-20 on some of the play calls but play calls were not the difference in this game...The inability to make plays, especially in the secondary, was the difference...I am not bad mouthing anyone and those who know who I am know how loyal I am to the program...This team is talented...Are they good enough to go back to the finals?? We will see but we have to be realistic...Before our championship in 2005 and repeat trip last year, when was the last time we played in the championship game?? 1978...While it should be our goal every year it puts unrealistic pressure on the team to expect them to get there every year...Part of the magic of 2005 was that most felt like that team was not as good as the 02 & 04 teams so they did not play like a team under pressure...They went out each week and played hard and before you knew it, they were playing in the championship game...This team plays like a team feeling the pressure to get back...Success is not fully measured by winning championships...If that were the case there would only be one successful team in each class each year...My suggestion is to go out and listen to your coaches, play hard, and let the rest fall into place...

NO PRESSURE!!!!
For the Russell players. I know you guys get on here and read this stuff so here goes. You went toe to toe with a good 6A school and really should have won the game. Keep your heads up and get ready for Mason County because they will be just as tough. This loss hurts and it should. Learn from it. Silly mistakes can cost you ballgames. This team has enough talent to make a run to Louisville but obviously has a few things to work on. Work hard and do your best. Thats all anyone can ask.
Reddevil07 Wrote:Just a few things that worry me are...how is tylers ankle gonna hold up? apparently it was hurting him some during tonight to the point where he came out for a moment. so will that be a factor? also, where in the world is our secondary at? the next two games are gonna be very big for secondary and they better be busting their butts this week at practice but theres always time to improve. and lastly, dear lord can aj hold on to the freaking ball? now daddy can get all mad or whatever but imo he was built up a lot better than he is. im not wanting to be negative but he has got to hold on to the ball if he wants to play qb at Russell

i agree 100% but to bad it was tyler jones that fumbled...not aj
devil58 Wrote:That's the same coaching staff that won the championship 2 years ago and got us back to the dance last year...They are not the ones on the field making or, in most cases tonight, not making plays...Coaches can only direct the players and get them in a position to win the game...They did that tonight...The problem is this IS NOT the same secondary we have had over the last 2-3 years...They are inexperienced and look like it 90% of the time...I would much rather see them be aggressive and make some mistakes rather than playing back on their heels and reacting to everything...The SK QB put the ball in the air for long periods of time and on many occassions the def back did not know where the ball was until it was caught for a TD...That's unacceptable...Hindsight is 20-20 on some of the play calls but play calls were not the difference in this game...The inability to make plays, especially in the secondary, was the difference...I am not bad mouthing anyone and those who know who I am know how loyal I am to the program...This team is talented...Are they good enough to go back to the finals?? We will see but we have to be realistic...Before our championship in 2005 and repeat trip last year, when was the last time we played in the championship game?? 1978...While it should be our goal every year it puts unrealistic pressure on the team to expect them to get there every year...Part of the magic of 2005 was that most felt like that team was not as good as the 02 & 04 teams so they did not play like a team under pressure...They went out each week and played hard and before you knew it, they were playing in the championship game...This team plays like a team feeling the pressure to get back...Success is not fully measured by winning championships...If that were the case there would only be one successful team in each class each year...My suggestion is to go out and listen to your coaches, play hard, and let the rest fall into place...

NO PRESSURE!!!!
Good post Devil58.
Heartbreaking loss Devils...Keep your heads up and looking forward not down wondering what could/should/would have been.
I am not going to bad mouth any of the kids so I just picked the coaches, yes they played one HECK of a ball game, should they feel bad, NO just of the outcome. As for the coaches I am complaining about the play calling in the 4th quarter with 6 minutes left, why throw the ball? They had plenty of time to drive down the field and have a chance to put the game away with possibly a TD, instead at some of the oddest times some of the play calling just set memories back to last year(championship game).
But like I said earlier this was not a district game it has nothing to do with the playoffs so learn from it and get ready for what sounds like a good Mason Co. team.
devil58 Wrote:That's the same coaching staff that won the championship 2 years ago and got us back to the dance last year...They are not the ones on the field making or, in most cases tonight, not making plays...Coaches can only direct the players and get them in a position to win the game...They did that tonight...The problem is this IS NOT the same secondary we have had over the last 2-3 years...They are inexperienced and look like it 90% of the time...I would much rather see them be aggressive and make some mistakes rather than playing back on their heels and reacting to everything...The SK QB put the ball in the air for long periods of time and on many occassions the def back did not know where the ball was until it was caught for a TD...That's unacceptable...Hindsight is 20-20 on some of the play calls but play calls were not the difference in this game...The inability to make plays, especially in the secondary, was the difference...I am not bad mouthing anyone and those who know who I am know how loyal I am to the program...This team is talented...Are they good enough to go back to the finals?? We will see but we have to be realistic...Before our championship in 2005 and repeat trip last year, when was the last time we played in the championship game?? 1978...While it should be our goal every year it puts unrealistic pressure on the team to expect them to get there every year...Part of the magic of 2005 was that most felt like that team was not as good as the 02 & 04 teams so they did not play like a team under pressure...They went out each week and played hard and before you knew it, they were playing in the championship game...This team plays like a team feeling the pressure to get back...Success is not fully measured by winning championships...If that were the case there would only be one successful team in each class each year...My suggestion is to go out and listen to your coaches, play hard, and let the rest fall into place...

NO PRESSURE!!!!
:Thumbs:
And yes I agree that this secondary is young but they have seen enough passing teams now to say that they are inexperienced.
The face mask was not a phantom call, it happened. The ground did not cause that fumble. A SK player did take his helmet off and throw it after Dolly's FG ( no penalty called). One of the best games i have witnessed. 2 great teams, no one should hang their head. Should had kicked the ball deep with only 11 seconds left.
:Thumbs:
Statmaster Wrote:The face mask was not a phantom call, it happened. The ground did not cause that fumble. A SK player did take his helmet off and throw it after Dolly's FG ( no penalty called). One of the best games i have witnessed. 2 great teams, no one should hang their head. Should had kicked the ball deep with only 11 seconds left.
This was a hard one to lose. Like many have said Russell needs to learn from their mistakes and get ready for Mason Co. Can't dwell on this loss for long or you will be looking at more. As far as the play calling with 6:00 minutes Russell drove it down the field to take the lead with 11 seconds to go. Ivan is as good as they come and anyone that wants to second guess him needs to really think what they are doing. He has lead Russell to the level that they are without alot of support from the school administration over the years. The worst thing that happens to teams after a loss is the should have done this and should have done that from everyone. Enjoy the great game and encourage the players don't bad mouth them. What has made Russell a success over the years besides talent and coaches is the teams is always been about team not I's.
DEVIL89 Wrote:I don't want the players on here to think I am talking about them I am talking about some of the coaching staff.

we as coaches can only tell them what to do and show them we can't not play for them.

Frist off don't be talking bad about the kids on here second off if you would have watched the tape he was down so he didn't fumble the ball, it was a bad call and he is a good football player, so just drop it and let it be,
Rusell was definetly outcoached, when the games are big, Lex. Cath, Breathitt. Last yr at state, Russell will blow it, say what you want but honestly I feel like the staff makes huge mistakes, yes they are a decent coaching staff, but not top 50 in the state. They shut our offense down second half, becuz as Ive seen many times before, the play calling was crap, run the same play over and over, which is why Russell usually loses big close games. Russell should have won this game by 4 td's they were that much better, AS ANY COACH IN AMERICA WITH A BRAIN WHEN YOU ARE PLAYING A PASSING TEAM YOU THROW IN A NICKEL PACKAGE. but noooo our coaches think 4 db's can cover 4 wide recievers, and give them a 10 yd cushion. Ill toss this one up with a few other big time losses russell shoudl have to our coaching staff. Say what you want, Ive been around alot fo really high lvl football and coaches, and honestly after tonite i just feel like its okay to say, that watching Russell is like watching a 1970's JV team. basic simple same ol crap. no adjustments, we do what we do, and if we lose oh well, mcglone got his 300th, he's happy.

NO PRESSURE!!!!

Amen
EkyLb Wrote:Rusell was definetly outcoached, when the games are big, Lex. Cath, Breathitt. Last yr at state, Russell will blow it, say what you want but honestly I feel like the staff makes huge mistakes, yes they are a decent coaching staff, but not top 50 in the state. They shut our offense down second half, becuz as Ive seen many times before, the play calling was crap, run the same play over and over, which is why Russell usually loses big close games. Russell should have won this game by 4 td's they were that much better, AS ANY COACH IN AMERICA WITH A BRAIN WHEN YOU ARE PLAYING A PASSING TEAM YOU THROW IN A NICKEL PACKAGE. but noooo our coaches think 4 db's can cover 4 wide recievers, and give them a 10 yd cushion. Ill toss this one up with a few other big time losses russell shoudl have to our coaching staff. Say what you want, Ive been around alot fo really high lvl football and coaches, and honestly after tonite i just feel like its okay to say, that watching Russell is like watching a 1970's JV team. basic simple same ol crap. no adjustments, we do what we do, and if we lose oh well, mcglone got his 300th, he's happy.

you don't know what you are talking about so go set down, and shut your pie hole, and i don't care if i get kicked off here,
EkyLb Wrote:WHEN YOU ARE PLAYING A PASSING TEAM YOU THROW IN A NICKEL PACKAGE.

Your not the only one with this opinion. It's really a no brainer.
red_devils_rule Wrote:you don't know what you are talking about so go set down, and shut your pie hole, and i don't care if i get kicked off here,
You don't know what he knows. You should care.
HEY GUYS WE LOST !!!!!!!!!!
QUIT BLAMING AND QUIT YOUR WHINING !!!!!!!
SOME OF YOU GUYS THINK THE DAGGONE SEASON IS OVER,,,,,BAD CALL BLAH,,,,,BAD COACHING-BLAH,,,,,,,,,,,BAD DEFENSE- BLAH-BLAH-BLAH.....
SOMEONE WINS SOMEONE LOOSES,, SOMETIMES YOU LEARN MORE FROM THE LOSS..!!!
I AM SAD THAT WE LOST BECAUSE WE PLAYED HARD.. BUT THIS TEAM HAS LEARNED WHAT IT TAKES TO PLAY HARD FROM THE FIRST PLAY AND HOW TO PLAY HARD ALL GAME......
The reason i said phantom call was they never clarified it on the radio.. Thats all.

Now lets get ready for Mason and beat them at their place and show that Russell is the best in 3A.
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
i can go ahead and tell you belfry is the best team in 3a