Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell vs. Lewis
Russelldad Wrote:I never made a comment on this site, but yes, I did comment about seeing and hearing one of our coaches "being loud" on the other bluegrass site. My concern was not so much about the coach just being "loud", but my concern was that the coach was being "loud" while he singled out "one player" in front of fans, family, teammates and opponents. As I stated on the other website, this coach was so loud with his "dressing down" on the Russell player that fans sitting in the opposite end-zone from the "loudness" could hear every word he said. I've seen Coaches McGlone, Morris and Hurley all "get loud" in the Offensive, defensive and Special Team huddles, where they are either correcting a mistake (as a team or player), encouraging them to play harder/smarter(as a team or player), or giving them praise (as a team or player) as they come off the field for a job/play well done. I have NEVER seen any of them pull a player aside and "verbally abuse" ONE player as the one Russell coach did on that night. Having been a youth coach for many years, I have seen too many times coaches that think that "dressing down" a player in front of teammates, fans and family will somehow inspire that person to play better, but in almost every situation the player goes back out and is so focused/embarrased about the "chewing out" that they perform worse.

I believe that building up a child/students self-esteem is ALWAYS going to produce better results from that child/student than tearing it down. And believe it or not, you can do that "and be loud" sometimes as well. You just have to work at it a little.

I'm sure the coach you are refering to knows alot more about football, kids and what it takes to make them play than you do. So unless your gonna apply for a job with Russell as an assistant coach leave the coaching to the coaches and enjoy your seat in the stands.
Sometime an individuals actions call for more severe treatment.
Russell 49
Lewis Co 6
Russelldad Wrote:I never made a comment on this site

Sorry. I read both sites and must have gotten confused. Do you have the same screen name on both? I must have gotten mixed up in that way.

Any way, I wasn't trying to call you out or make you explain any situations. I just remembered in one thread you stated that coaches being loud and addressing a player would scar them forever and in the last one you seem to applaud it.

And by the way, I was at the previous game you were referring to, and the actions of the player that warranted the "loud" comments from the coach were well deserved. The fact that it could be heard by everyone probably saved future retaliatory actions by the other team because the coach took care of the situation first.
DevilsWin Wrote:I'm sure the coach you are refering to knows alot more about football, kids and what it takes to make them play than you do. So unless your gonna apply for a job with Russell as an assistant coach leave the coaching to the coaches and enjoy your seat in the stands.

I'm sorry, but I thought this site was here for us to make comments and observations. "Spongebob" was the one who began the conversation on the "Russell vs Lewis Co" forum asking me if I was the one who made the comment on the "other" bluegrass site about a coach being loud, so he/she initiated the topic, not myself. But since you have decided to make this a personal attack, I will address your comment that you just made to me.

Yes you are absolutely right that the coach in question knows alot more about football than I do, so I would never attempt to apply for a position as an assistant football coach. I have coached youth baseball for over 15 years, and so I'm sure that if I wanted to apply for an assistant's position in that sport I could.

But knowing football, baseball, soccer or any other sport DOES NOT automatically make you AN EXPERT on how to make a player perform or play better. I happen to believe (and I hope you believe as well) that when you give "praise and encouragement" to a player, he/she will in return give you "all they have/or their best". Even asking a player what happened on a play, at bat or shot that caused a mistake to happen is okay if done in such a way as to not "cause embarrasment" to that player. BECAUSE AFTER ALL, I'M SURE THE PLAYER ALREADY FEELS BAD FOR MAKING THE MISTAKE, WE AS COACHES DO NOT NEED TO MAKE IT WORSE

But I have found that the more you encourge / praise your team (no matter the sport) the better the results will be at the end of the game (win or lose).

So to close, I am sorry and apologize if my comments have struck a nerve with you "DEVILSWIN" (which it seems to have), but I will always stand up for the student-athlete in these situations whether I am their coach, the coach their playing against, an educator in the classroom or as a fan watching both teams play.

Those were my intentions in my first comment on the other "bluegrass" site 2 weeks ago. Nothing more, nothing less.

So now, as you said in your opening comments, I have bought my ticket and will take my place in the stands and as a fan cheer on the WHOLE Russell team (The players AND the coaches) to get another important district win and to add number 300 to Coach McGlone's great coaching career.

Go Russell
Russelldad Wrote:I'm sorry, but I thought this site was here for us to make comments and observations. "Spongebob" was the one who began the conversation on the "Russell vs Lewis Co" forum asking me if I was the one who made the comment on the "other" bluegrass site about a coach being loud, so he/she initiated the topic, not myself. But since you have decided to make this a personal attack, I will address your comment that you just made to me.

Yes you are absolutely right that the coach in question knows alot more about football than I do, so I would never attempt to apply for a position as an assistant football coach. I have coached youth baseball for over 15 years, and so I'm sure that if I wanted to apply for an assistant's position in that sport I could.

But knowing football, baseball, soccer or any other sport DOES NOT automatically make you AN EXPERT on how to make a player perform or play better. I happen to believe (and I hope you believe as well) that when you give "praise and encouragement" to a player, he/she will in return give you "all they have/or their best". Even asking a player what happened on a play, at bat or shot that caused a mistake to happen is okay if done in such a way as to not "cause embarrasment" to that player. BECAUSE AFTER ALL, I'M SURE THE PLAYER ALREADY FEELS BAD FOR MAKING THE MISTAKE, WE AS COACHES DO NOT NEED TO MAKE IT WORSE

But I have found that the more you encourge / praise your team (no matter the sport) the better the results will be at the end of the game (win or lose).

So to close, I am sorry and apologize if my comments have struck a nerve with you "DEVILSWIN" (which it seems to have), but I will always stand up for the student-athlete in these situations whether I am their coach, the coach their playing against, an educator in the classroom or as a fan watching both teams play.

Those were my intentions in my first comment on the other "bluegrass" site 2 weeks ago. Nothing more, nothing less.

So now, as you said in your opening comments, I have bought my ticket and will take my place in the stands and as a fan cheer on the WHOLE Russell team (The players AND the coaches) to get another important district win and to add number 300 to Coach McGlone's great coaching career.

Go Russell

Sorry Devildad. I was just pointing out what I thought were contradictory statements. I didn't mean for people to start attacking you.
All I'm saying is that Russells record says all that needs to be said, all you have to do is look at the scoreboard and you can see that Coach McGlone knows how to pick an assistant staff and coach a football team.
My post was not a personal attack. I never accused you of anything or used any derogatory comments concerning you.
You have coached "Youth Baseball" for 15 years. Good job. At that level verbally dressing down a player in front of everyone would be innappropriate.

However, we are talking about Varsity Football. Big difference.
The coach in question has coached Varsity football alot longer than 15 years. Not to mention 2 State Championships. As a player and as a coach. He knows what it takes and how to get it from his kids.

BTW I too have coached Youth sports and I know every kid responds differently to whatever approach a coach might use to get through to the player.
Sponge Bob Wrote:And by the way, I was at the previous game you were referring to, and the actions of the player that warranted the "loud" comments from the coach were well deserved. The fact that it could be heard by everyone probably saved future retaliatory actions by the other team because the coach took care of the situation first.

I was there as well and the actions were warranted. Also the coach wasn't nearly as loud as the Other coach that was comming across the field.
This thread is no longer about the Russell/Lewis Co game.