Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was Tubby Forced Out or Did He Have This Move Planned?
I must agree that Tubby is a FIRST CLASS person! I never said he wasn't. I wanted to see him gone because during his tenure UK was on a downward spiral---and the recruiting wasn't going to make it any better. Yeah--his record at UK will be loved if he can replicate it in Minnesota no doubt. Tubby will be loved there---and hope so. But please rememeber the Golden Gophers are not a major bball power!!! I know it and you know it. If Tubby had been at Duke or UNC and had a similar tenure to what he did at UK he would have been gone there too. Yes I am spoiled, yes UK fans in general are spoiled...but my lord we pay our coach big time to PRODUCE!
firetubbyplease! Wrote:I wanted to see him gone because during his tenure UK was on a downward spiral---and the recruiting wasn't going to make it any better.

So Patrick Patterson wouldn't have made the team better? Did anyone else read his reaction to the news or see his interview on WSAZ last night? The kid wanted to play for Tubby at Kentucky. And Patterson may not have been the "lock" that Lucas would've been. I think if anything we would've landed him.
Tubby has had control of the basketball program since his arrival at UK. After a few bad years both on and off the court Barnhart decided to get more involved and Tubby did not like the fact that he did not have complete control of the program.
Come on guys, you heard him on Mike and Mike this morning, he wanted the challenge, he wasnt forced out. lol If it was possible for Big Ten basketball to get more borring, it just did. Hope Minnesota fans can figure out what kidn of offense Tubby runs. I watched his teams for ten years and i sure couldnt. Maybe he will take Bradley with him. Cant wait to see the new Minnesota staff. Tubby, Saul, GG, Finney, and Sutton. So long TEN LOSS TUBBY
Tubby Hater Wrote:Come on guys, you heard him on Mike and Mike this morning, he wanted the challenge, he wasnt forced out. lol If it was possible for Big Ten basketball to get more borring, it just did. Hope Minnesota fans can figure out what kidn of offense Tubby runs. I watched his teams for ten years and i sure couldnt. Maybe he will take Bradley with him. Cant wait to see the new Minnesota staff. Tubby, Saul, GG, Finney, and Sutton. So long TEN LOSS TUBBY
Hello NIT.

Maybe?
Tonight on ESPN radio reported that Tubby's lawyer had been speaking with MINN as early as November.

Today on the Dan and Dan show Tubby said that he could have stayed at UK and he wasnt forced out, he also said uk fans have high expectations just as Minn has. He made a comment that you always have the call in shows and complaints anywhere you coach.
He had some brief comment about adminstatiion and his staff but I cant recall exactly how he worded it but it sounded as they wanted changes made on his staff.
Tulsa
1991-92 17-131992-93 15-141993-94 23-8 (NCAA 16)1994-95 24-8 (NCAA 16)Total 79-43 (64.8%)
Georgia
1995-96 21-10 (NCAA 16)1996-97 24-9 (NCAA 64)Total 45-19 (70.3%)
Kentucky

1997-98 35-4 (NCAA Champ)1998-99 28-9 (NCAA 8)1999-00 23-10 (NCAA 32)2000-01 24-10 (NCAA 16)2001-02 22-10 (NCAA 16)2002-03 32-4 (NCAA 8)2003-04 27-5 (NCAA 32) 2004-05 28-6 (NCAA 8)2005-06 22-13 (NCAA 32)Total (9 years) 241-71 (.772)
Totals

15 years - 365-133 (.733)
Tubby Smith deserved a better ending. Let's start with that. As University of Kentucky's basketball coach, the man won a national championship. He reached the Elite Eight on four occasions, captured five Southeastern Conference titles and averaged more than 26 victories a season for the length of his 10-year stay. Ranked top 5 among active coaches in all-time tournament wins, going into the 2006-2007 season he was ranked 3rd, 3rd out of how many coaches? Every active coach, and well thats quite a bit. Reached 100 wins quicker than any other UK coach in history, excluding Rupp, Tubby did it in 125 games, Rupp did it in 116. Better yet, at a school with a history of being at the painful end of the NCAA paddle, Smith's name never once knew hint of scandal.
In his statement issued last night, Barnhart referred to Smith as "a solid coach." He was much better than solid. But, by fan's standards, Smith wasn't spectacular, which is what the all-time winningest program is believed to deserve. So now the search for spectacular is on. The bar is officially set, and dang have we set it high. At Kentucky, Elite Eights aren't good enough. Conference championships aren't good enough. No. 1 rankings aren't good enough. It's all about titles. It's all about Final Fours. UK fans "have developed the mentality, almost like the Yankees in baseball," ESPN analyst Dick Vitale said Thursday, "that winning 100 games and winning the division is meaningless unless you win the whole championship." and it's true, I personally agree. We have the most all time wins in college basketball. For that matter ,statistically since Tubby became coach of our Wildcats, our record is 6% more ahead of the competition then before the Tubby era. If I recall correctly, there are very few teams that are even close to us or UCLA championship-wise. But apparently remaining the all-time winningest program in college basketball isn't important, I believe fans are consumed in trying to pass UCLA (Who isn't even the slightest bit close to our record, and well thanks to Smith are further away now than ever! This also goes for any other team. On a different note,What's funny is that we are closer to their record, then they are to ours.) But I'd hope that in the all-consuming search for more titles, the Big Blue Nation doesn't lose sight of what it had.
A sterling representative of the university. A revered member of his coaching fraternity. A coach who, despite what you may have heard, actually brought another title banner to Rupp Arena. We lose a man of great integrity, A man who gave everything to his job, and us, The Big Blue Nation, whom I truly am ashamed to be apart of. We aren't, or rather they aren't, passionate about our UK Wildcats, the passion is for championships alone. Fans like those are the reason alot of people look down upon Kentucky. You know what, I rest my case. 263 - 83 Thanks Tubby we're going to miss you.
Both really
FBALL Wrote:Hello NIT.

Maybe?

UK may make the 2008 postseason NIT based on national reputation and the ability to sell tickets.

But not for any reason between the sidelines.

Saleen: You forgot 2006-07 in your W-L stats.
Excellent point!!!!!:notworthy
kentuckyfan1962 Wrote:FACT: A Tubby recruit has never played in the Final Four. He was a good honest man, but for 2 million a year, you have to be a good honest man who can win. No high profile player wanted to come to UK and score 55 points a game. That's the way the game is today. The successful coaches play up tempo. Are we spoiled fans? Yes we are! We also have so much to offer, we shouldn't have to settle for 22-12.
TomSportsHack Wrote:UK may make the 2008 postseason NIT based on national reputation and the ability to sell tickets.

But not for any reason between the sidelines.

Saleen: You forgot 2006-07 in your W-L stats.

So, basically you’re saying Kentucky will be terrible next year regardless of the hire. Some coaches, unlike Tubby are capable or getting players to excel beyond their potential. A coach with the right attitude and the right style of play could possibly put this team back in SEC championship contention next year. IMO, a 3-6 seed in the NCAA tournament isn’t out of the question either. There are some quality players on this current roster that just hasn’t played to their potential under Tubby. If these players don’t transfer out, and a few descent recruits are brought in, a quality coach that is capable of motivating and building team chemistry could have a very successful season next year. I choose to remain optimistic.
Saleen_Insanity Wrote:The Big Blue Nation, whom I truly am ashamed to be apart of. We aren't, or rather they aren't, passionate about our UK Wildcats, the passion is for championships alone. Fans like those are the reason alot of people look down upon Kentucky. You know what, I rest my case. 263 - 83 Thanks Tubby we're going to miss you.
get in that Saleen fill it up with gas and go to Minneapolis if thats how you feel I will even buy the first tank , i will go you one better than that ... keep all your gas reciepts and i will reinburse you
Saleen_Insanity Wrote:Tubby Smith deserved a better ending. Let's start with that. As University of Kentucky's basketball coach, the man won a national championship. He reached the Elite Eight on four occasions, captured five Southeastern Conference titles and averaged more than 26 victories a season for the length of his 10-year stay. Ranked top 5 among active coaches in all-time tournament wins, going into the 2006-2007 season he was ranked 3rd, 3rd out of how many coaches? Every active coach, and well thats quite a bit. Reached 100 wins quicker than any other UK coach in history, excluding Rupp, Tubby did it in 125 games, Rupp did it in 116. Better yet, at a school with a history of being at the painful end of the NCAA paddle, Smith's name never once knew hint of scandal.
In his statement issued last night, Barnhart referred to Smith as "a solid coach." He was much better than solid. But, by fan's standards, Smith wasn't spectacular, which is what the all-time winningest program is believed to deserve. So now the search for spectacular is on. The bar is officially set, and dang have we set it high. At Kentucky, Elite Eights aren't good enough. Conference championships aren't good enough. No. 1 rankings aren't good enough. It's all about titles. It's all about Final Fours. UK fans "have developed the mentality, almost like the Yankees in baseball," ESPN analyst Dick Vitale said Thursday, "that winning 100 games and winning the division is meaningless unless you win the whole championship." and it's true, I personally agree. We have the most all time wins in college basketball. For that matter ,statistically since Tubby became coach of our Wildcats, our record is 6% more ahead of the competition then before the Tubby era. If I recall correctly, there are very few teams that are even close to us or UCLA championship-wise. But apparently remaining the all-time winningest program in college basketball isn't important, I believe fans are consumed in trying to pass UCLA (Who isn't even the slightest bit close to our record, and well thanks to Smith are further away now than ever! This also goes for any other team. On a different note,What's funny is that we are closer to their record, then they are to ours.) But I'd hope that in the all-consuming search for more titles, the Big Blue Nation doesn't lose sight of what it had.
A sterling representative of the university. A revered member of his coaching fraternity. A coach who, despite what you may have heard, actually brought another title banner to Rupp Arena. We lose a man of great integrity, A man who gave everything to his job, and us, The Big Blue Nation, whom I truly am ashamed to be apart of. We aren't, or rather they aren't, passionate about our UK Wildcats, the passion is for championships alone. Fans like those are the reason alot of people look down upon Kentucky. You know what, I rest my case. 263 - 83 Thanks Tubby we're going to miss you.

You make several good points, but I have to ask a question or 2, why did his lawyer begin talks with Minn. in November, and his agent 6 weeks ago, while he was saying that he was going nowhere? He has said several time since his departure that he was already told he would have been retained, so he chose to leave, because the university was going to ask him to make staff changes, which happens at all major schools, why wouldnt Tubby agree to stay, he made committments to his recruits to stay?
Uk took out the buy out clause if Tubby left because of a gentlemens agreement between him a Barnhardt, when Tubby said "I wont leave till the end of my contract when they gave him a 8 year extension. Did Tubby a man of great morals forget his word?

What was his graduation rate?
How many of his recruits transfered? Why?

Don't get me wrong I have met the man and think he is a great guy, but if you allow the pressure, the callers, and the university asking him to make staff changes affect you to the point that you leave to take job at a middle of the conference program. Then maybe he should have left.