Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tubby is out at the University of Kentucky..
Fox Sports (the sports site, not the member) is reporting that Tubby was asked to fire his staff or leave. He always said he would never throw his staff under the bus and it looks like he is a man of his word if this is true. Speaks volumes about what kind of man he is.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Here is the ESPN.com link to the story.
[URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2808406"]
>>>LINK<<<[/URL]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
calQlate Wrote:I wish tubby the best. I'm sure he will live alot longer coaching at Minnesota. The demands won't be nearly as high. I'm sad to see the 'man' tubby leave Kentucky because he was all about class. But from a coaching standpoint and program standpoint Kentucky is ready for someone new.
thats right about the demands. if he just makes the tourney now it is awesome.
I would have broke under the pressure long ago. He is a classy man for sticking up for his staff. They call him 10 lose Tubby. Well, next year they may be praying for only 10 lose's. Next year I'm going to set back a watch the Tubby haters second guess themselves.
Benchwarmer Wrote:That just ticks me off. You are rigth some people got their wish. Go Gophers.

i guess some of us are UK fans, some of us are tubby fans. you just go and cheer for minnesota all you want. its kinda sad that you like the guy so much that even when hes gone you turn into a minnesota fan.
bizmark Wrote:i guess some of us are UK fans, some of us are tubby fans. you just go and cheer for minnesota all you want. its kinda sad that you like the guy so much that even when hes gone you turn into a minnesota fan.

I'm Uk all the way. I just wish Tubby luck and his future team if he is at Minn. Next time look before you leap.
he'll lead Minnesota around the top of the Big 10 year in and out..they'll challenge for championships, no question. His style at UK, no matter how many wins he racked up, wasnt accepted. If he goes 22-12 and gets invited to the tourney up there every year, theyll give him the keys to the state. I was critical of Tubbys style, and his recruiting also, but Im a fan of UK. I dont care one bit to say that Minnesota just stole a damn good coach. And an even better man. Tubby was told to fire his assistants or leave. He left. That gives me chills. THAT, my friends, is what character is about. To me, thats better than any win he ever got at UK.
Amun-Ra Wrote:thats right about the demands. if he just makes the tourney now it is awesome.
Well the Bashers got there wish. Now your gonna regret it, IMO. Tubby was a good coach, and since Rick Pitino spoiled all the UK fans with a back to back NCAA Tournament apperence and know people think we should win the title and be #1 in the polls every season. But they don't relize theres three hundred other teams out there and about fifty of them are always challenging for the NCAA Championship.
alfus21 Wrote:Fox Sports (the sports site, not the member) is reporting that Tubby was asked to fire his staff or leave. He always said he would never throw his staff under the bus and it looks like he is a man of his word if this is true. Speaks volumes about what kind of man he is.

Just like we speculated earlier in the thread...

BTW, the Herald-Leader has changed their headline now to Tubby leaves For Minnesota.
I'm not a Tubby hater by any means! Tubby is a great guy. And I do credit him with the #7. But his biggest weakness has been recruiting the calibre of players that a KY program needs and he has not done so. That is why that we haven't been winning. When teams like KY or NC can't get it done, then the guy at the top usually pays the price, whether deserved or not. I wish Tubby the best, he always ran a classy program at UK, but I think UK needs to go in a different direction than it has been over the past several years. And even with a good coach, it may take a few seasons to get back on track, then maybe not. So lets just hope that they hire a high calibre coach (ie. Donovan, Pitino) instead of one of the numerous coaches out there that is worse than Tubby.
Super_de Wrote:wow, suprising. I cant blame tubby for leaving, for all the crap he has been through from the fans of kentucky. Good luck tubby at Minnesota and hope you win a championship with em now .
I hope he does, and i hope he beats UK when he does.
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/6598836

The Fox link that Alfus mentioned...Tubby FORCED out...
bizmark this is not BGR bashing thread, so stop.
bizmark Wrote:you all are the ones hopin that minnesota beats UK. that is pretty emberassing man. i dont see how its bashing by sayin that its stupid to be more loyal to a coach then your team. thats just goofy. why would you hope to see Uk locse? thats so dumb to say

I have never once said I hoped UK would loose. Cheer up man.
I've never been a "Tubby Hater," but I have had some issues with how he recruits. But you can't argue against the fact that he knows the game of basketball, and he knows how to coach. He is a defensive genius. Kentucky has had a great defensive resume under Smith, and I don't look for that to change, even in the Big 10. I would like to thank Tubby for his dedication to this program and the manner in which he dealt with his criticism (yes, I've criticized him too). He is as classy as an act as you'll see in college basketball. I wish him all of the luck in the world in Minnesota. The Gophers certainly got one of the best.
I'm sure the players are hurt by this. They all seemed to like Tubby, I'm not sure of that, but it seemed that way. Fire your coaches or you're gone, and Tub leaves. What a guy! Sticks to his word and puts other people in front of him. This man has class, character, and is truly a great guy. I wish Tubby all the luck, he really deserves it.

As for UK, I see the chances of Lucas and Patterson coming to Kentucky getting smaller. Hopefully, Morris stays and we can get a great coach to live up to the expectations here in KY. Even though, that's like searching for a needle in a haystack. It's a new beginning, and things will change. Hoefully for the better.
StrikeoutKing Wrote:I've never been a "Tubby Hater," but I have had some issues with how he recruits. But you can't argue against the fact that he knows the game of basketball, and he knows how to coach. He is a defensive genius. Kentucky has had a great defensive resume under Smith, and I don't look for that to change, even in the Big 10. I would like to thank Tubby for his dedication to this program and the manner in which he dealt with his criticism (yes, I've criticized him too). He is as classy as an act as you'll see in college basketball. I wish him all of the luck in the world in Minnesota. The Gophers certainly got one of the best.

You said it...

Remember these words: Class, Character & Standards.

Tubby conducted himself with those qualities. How many NCAA investigations has Kentucky endured the last 10 years? How many times has Kentucky blown out an opponent by 60 plus points or downgraded an opponent?

Tubby was the coach that welcomed back prodical son Randolph Morris despite his attempt to go to the NBA and stuck by him when Morris' decision fell through.

Tubby was the coach that wouldn't ax his assistant coaches last year or this year just to save his own job.

Class, Character & Standards. I hope the next coach can live up to those expectations and take the program further in terms of winning than Tubby did.
A changing of the guard was long overdue. I wish Tubby the best.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
alfus21 Wrote:Also, I want to say that this 100% imo knocks us out of consideration for Patterson and Lucas.

I'm not so sure. I would say Patterson might wait to see who the new coach is going to be. Also....just for the sake of conversation, what if the new coach is Billy Donovan? He was considering Florida.
I've heard that NAACP, Al Sharpton, and Jesse Jackson are all going to be at Mitch's door tomorrow morning.
GRIZZ Wrote:I've heard that NAACP, Al Sharpton, and Jesse Jackson are all going to be at Mitch's door tomorrow morning.
This is just plain silly.
Kentucky couldnt possibly find a better MAN!!
Old school Dawg Wrote:Kentucky couldnt possibly find a better MAN!!

but they sure can find a better COACH!!
DevilsWin Wrote:This is just plain silly.
this had nothing to do with race.
i hope tubby the best.
I was just joking about it, 9/10 of the time a black male gets fired from a head coaching position or doesn't get an interview the three names I threw out are the first to accuse race as the reason. It had nothing to do with race, Tubby just could not get the job done to Kentucky standards. I for one feel sorry that all this has taken place, and wish him the best.
I pulled for him and was a big fan until towards the end of last season. This season just put me overboard. He does seem to be a good man but then again I've never met him. I think he's a good coach but he is unable to get the players that a high caliber program needs or at least he can't seem to keep them or get the most out of them. As fas as next year goes I wouldn't care if we lost every game as long as we actually had a team again like the unforgettables that would leave it all on the court and for once give 110% again.

110% = 0-30 or the crap that we've been seeing I'll take the 0-30 at least it will be fun to watch.
YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! THANK YOU GOD!!!!! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! The Tubby Smiff era is OVER at Kentucky. YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!:letsparty :letsparty :letsparty :letsparty
Grassy Knoll Sniper Wrote:YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! THANK YOU GOD!!!!! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! The Tubby Smiff era is OVER at Kentucky. YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!:letsparty :letsparty :letsparty :letsparty
yay lets celebrate maybe loosing 2 recruits and setting the program back
GRIZZ Wrote:I've heard that NAACP, Al Sharpton, and Jesse Jackson are all going to be at Mitch's door tomorrow morning.

Applying for the coaching job?