Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lawrence County 2017
Dude I have followed Lawrence county football for almost 30 years. I was probably watching the bulldogs before you were born. I have seen a lot of coaches come an go in that time and seen some very good and very bad teams. If you were smart enough to take the pulse of this community and just ask around and listen you would be shocked to learn that an overwhelming majority of people around here agree with me and the rest just don't want to say it out loud. I am very happy with the pick of coach Short and I think he is very capable of getting this team over the hump in the next few years. You seriously need to stop getting your panties in such a bunch........it's just high school football. I think you need something stronger then tylenol.
We should have a decent year. I see 7 to 8 wins
Coach short can coach and inspire young men. If given time you'll see lc back on top of a tradition we all loved
Best of luck to the dawgs!
E's Army Wrote:LC will be better but stuck with Belfry in their district.

I rather like having Belfry in district. In order to win a championship you will have to deal with them anyways so I think having an earlier season game has to be of some help. I really think LC has had a few teams recently that may have gotten to and even won a championship if they were able to get by Belfry. Quite a few games have been lopsided but we have gave them some good games here and there. Has to serve as some motivation to get better and I think the Dawgs can give them a good game this year. Looking forward to getting to see Paintsville this year as well. Been quite a few years since I got to see their varsity team and I think adding them to the schedule and keeping Raceland on schedule will be a huge benefit. LC will be strong in the trenches this year and that is what you have to be to have any hope in hanging in with Belfry.
I believe some people are going to be shocked at the turnaround this season compared to last season. That team last year was better then the outcome showed. It was a perfect storm of situations that kept this team down a little. To start off we had a brand new coach in his first year ever as a head coach, then you add in the fact that he inherited the youngest Bulldog team I've seen in a long long time. We have some excellent athletes and will be strong up front. I think any team on our schedule who overlooks us is going home with a loss.
Friends of Mine tell me Lawrence County should be Back to Form . I remember Facing them in the Play-offs sometime ago not Pretty.
If the Dawgs can stay healthy they will have a good year. Almost all of their starters return and we should have pretty good size and depth. Gonna be hard to take the district from Belfry but I know the kids are looking forward to the challenge.
0ff The Chain Wrote:If the Dawgs can stay healthy they will have a good year. Almost all of their starters return and we should have pretty good size and depth. Gonna be hard to take the district from Belfry but I know the kids are looking forward to the challenge.

Good Luck!
Regular season record of 7-3 will be reasonable this season.
Anyone have any info on numbers and what players might stand out.
In the pound Wrote:Anyone have any info on numbers and what players might stand out.

Don't quote me, but I think it's somewhere around 60 grades 9-12...maybe more....57 or 67 is the number that's coming to mind...one of the two.
Lawrence had 72 there tonight, so I was off with my previous number(s)...with a few others out due to legitimate reasons (injury, etc)
Thanks for the Info! Much appreciated
Largest number of players I have seen at LC. Already seen one on crutches the other day though,sadly. Not saying the field caused that injury but they really need to fix all those dips in both the game and practice fields. Injuries happen but we sure had a ton of knees injuries last few years.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Lawrence had 72 there tonight, so I was off with my previous number(s)...with a few others out due to legitimate reasons (injury, etc)

Thats great news. I'm hoping to get ti see a few games this year. Good luck and GO DAWGS.
0ff The Chain Wrote:Largest number of players I have seen at LC. Already seen one on crutches the other day though,sadly. Not saying the field caused that injury but they really need to fix all those dips in both the game and practice fields. Injuries happen but we sure had a ton of knees injuries last few years.

That is real good numbers for a 3a team. Sounds like coach Short has the kids of this County fired up for football again. If we have a good season those.numbers will only grow. I think the largest roster I ever seen for this team was in like 2000 or 2001 or something like that. We were in the pike county bowl playing Pikeville and Garry McPeak was the coach. I remember the team coming on the field and I got tired of counting at around 85 or so. I think the roster that year had to be close to 100.
Good luck Dogs!! I hope Lawrence Co has the best season ever!!
Getting excited for the season. I think the Dawgs will be a tough out for anyone this year.
Do-double-gg Wrote:That is real good numbers for a 3a team. Sounds like coach Short has the kids of this County fired up for football again. If we have a good season those.numbers will only grow. I think the largest roster I ever seen for this team was in like 2000 or 2001 or something like that. We were in the pike county bowl playing Pikeville and Garry McPeak was the coach. I remember the team coming on the field and I got tired of counting at around 85 or so. I think the roster that year had to be close to 100.

Sounds like they are showing much improvement. Go Dawgs !
We really need to win this 1st game against Raceland. Have gotten off to slow starts early in past seasons and a win @ Raceland would set a good tone for the season. Hard to beat the Rams at home so we have to come out firing on all cylinders and not kill ourselves with penalties. Can't wait for the season to start!
Heard we are supposed to scrimmage Pikeville this Thursday. Anyone know if that game is still happening?
0ff The Chain Wrote:Heard we are supposed to scrimmage Pikeville this Thursday. Anyone know if that game is still happening?
As of now, still on to my knowledge.
0ff The Chain Wrote:We really need to win this 1st game against Raceland. Have gotten off to slow starts early in past seasons and a win @ Raceland would set a good tone for the season. Hard to beat the Rams at home so we have to come out firing on all cylinders and not kill ourselves with penalties. Can't wait for the season to start!

I think the dawgs will beat the rams .
Lc officially has 71 players. Most I've seen since 96- 03. I'm glad the kids are fired up for Lawrence county football again.
Choosing LC in Week 0 pick-ems.

Go Dawgs!!!
Pikeville-Lawrence County scrimmage for today has been moved to Pikeville. Just a heads up to any who plan to attend.
Any news on how the scrimmage went.
12-7 Lawrence in varsity.
Both teams had some good moments and then some sloppy moments. Costly penalties,dropped passes ect, but that is to be expected. Pikeville held up very well for most of the scrimmage but I think fatigue started wearing on them. LC had a lot more players and was rotating several players every other play so that may have been a factor. The secondary for LC needs to get better as far as not letting people get behind them.Pike receivers got open downfield several times but had some drops. Was a fun,hard hitting game to watch.I think both teams should do pretty well this year.