Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knox central
Until Knox built the new high school they had no feeder program.
Knox has had one of the best youth programs for years, they do a great job. Middle School has a good program. This can be a great job.
WhyLie Wrote:Knox has had one of the best youth programs for years, they do a great job. Middle School has a good program. This can be a great job.

I think it could be a "good" job not great. There are no "great" jobs in eastern ken lucky thats just a fact. So in saying that i think the job could attract a "good" coach. I don't think Elam is the answer but then again football decisions in this area never cease to amaze me.
redrocket Wrote:I think it could be a "good" job not great. There are no "great" jobs in eastern ken lucky thats just a fact. So in saying that i think the job could attract a "good" coach. I don't think Elam is the answer but then again football decisions in this area never cease to amaze me.

Not many worth packing up families and moving for across the state. There is usually little to no financial incentive; especially if you are already a head coach...and, if there is a big jump in pay...it's likely that the cost of living there is also much higher (ie: Jefferson County, Fayette County. Even places like Bardstown IND which is one of the better paying districts in the entire state, but they also have extremely high property taxes & real estate is a little pricey as well). On the other hand, you have areas like Bowling Green/Warren County that might be THE best area in the state to live (BG is BOOMING, legit college town, shopping and restaurants galore all with a "town" feel and not a city + being less than an hour from Nashville and under two from Louisville), but Warren County Schools (coaching in particular) pay isn't anywhere that you think it would be...run of the mill truth be told. (Bowling Green IND Schools are better paying, though, I think).

I heard a state championship winning coach with over 30 years in this state once say that about 10% (20 or so) of the jobs in this state are great jobs. Another 10% (another 20 or so) are at the absolute bottom of the barrel; always have been and almost always will be (due to program and/or location, support, etc). So, about 80% of the jobs out there across the state are the same in the grand scheme of things......they all usually have the same ceiling (1A, 6A, doesn't matter) more years than not.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Not many worth packing up families and moving for across the state. There is usually little to no financial incentive; especially if you are already a head coach...and, if there is a big jump in pay...it's likely that the cost of living there is also much higher (ie: Jefferson County, Fayette County. Even places like Bardstown IND which is one of the better paying districts in the entire state, but they also have extremely high property taxes & real estate is a little pricey as well). On the other hand, you have areas like Bowling Green/Warren County that might be THE best area in the state to live (BG is BOOMING, legit college town, shopping and restaurants galore all with a "town" feel and not a city + being less than an hour from Nashville and under two from Louisville), but Warren County Schools (coaching in particular) pay isn't anywhere that you think it would be...run of the mill truth be told. (Bowling Green IND Schools are better paying, though, I think).

I heard a state championship winning coach with over 30 years in this state once say that about 10% (20 or so) of the jobs in this state are great jobs. Another 10% (another 20 or so) are at the absolute bottom of the barrel; always have been and almost always will be (due to program and/or location, support, etc). So, about 80% of the jobs out there across the state are the same in the grand scheme of things......they all usually have the same ceiling (1A, 6A, doesn't matter) more years than not.

I would agree with that. And i don't mean only great school can get great coaches. There are some really really good coaches at decent high schools. I was just saying i don't think Knox is going to attract and already established "great coach" but could end up getting a really good coach that could maybe build. That was the problem i had with our hire at bell. It seemed we had opportunities to hire some good up and coming coaches and we were just arrogant enough to think we were more attractive than we were and you see where that got us. We will be looking again really soon IMO. Hopefully Knox can hire someone who wants the job for the right reasons and someone who has the intention and capabilities to build for the future. Thats where we messed up.
Just curious, what is the knock on Elam? Why is he not considered a decent coach or not the answer for Knox in your opinions? I've seen it stated on here several times that he isn't and just wondering what is with the perception, seems like he has won his fair share of games at Pineville over the years.
I'd like to See Mike Holcomb put in.You never Know he might . He Woud do Great! JB Donhue would To.
DarthVader Wrote:Just curious, what is the knock on Elam? Why is he not considered a decent coach or not the answer for Knox in your opinions? I've seen it stated on here several times that he isn't and just wondering what is with the perception, seems like he has won his fair share of games at Pineville over the years.

Because the people that are posting want the job. The are a couple guys that want to knock Elam, so they will have a better chance at it. Fact!!!!
TheBoz Wrote:Because the people that are posting want the job. The are a couple guys that want to knock Elam, so they will have a better chance at it. Fact!!!!

well i was one of the people who don't think Elam would be a good fit. Its not a personal knock on him that just my opinion. I don't think i'm qualified for the job and i cant teach in the school but sure if they want me to take ill give it a shot might as well make a little extra money :hilarious:....But again i don't know why some people knock him it could very well be that Boz. But for me that was just my opinion. Fact!!!!
Best of Luck to Knox and whoever the coach may be. Just hope you all can handle the situation better than we did!
I think Coach Bart Elam would do a great job! Best of luck wherever Coach Elam lands!
redrocket Wrote:I would agree with that. And i don't mean only great school can get great coaches. There are some really really good coaches at decent high schools. I was just saying i don't think Knox is going to attract and already established "great coach" but could end up getting a really good coach that could maybe build. That was the problem i had with our hire at bell. It seemed we had opportunities to hire some good up and coming coaches and we were just arrogant enough to think we were more attractive than we were and you see where that got us. We will be looking again really soon IMO. Hopefully Knox can hire someone who wants the job for the right reasons and someone who has the intention and capabilities to build for the future. Thats where we messed up.

You're good! I knew what you meant:Thumbs: . We're on the same page for sure.

You said it. So many of these places; from the administration to the fans just don't really see it due to having blinders on. They don't understand things I mentioned in the post (they weren't my thoughts. I'm just regurgitating what people who have had very successful trips around the block for a lot of years have said).

There are 12-13 jobs open right now (which is about par for the course over the last several years +/- a few), and none of them are jobs that I think will snag proven/experienced head coaches (UNLESS there is some kind of hidden connection. Coach is from there, wife is, other family ties, etc). They are, however, jobs that will get either 1st time head coaches and/or former head coaches looking for a fresh-new start..maybe their first (even second stops) weren't so good....which is OK.

That's why it's so comical to me to see people on here dig on those interested in MOST ALL of these who may or may not have the success that THEY think is needed for THEIR program.

It's also a reason why I've pointed out in past threads the current coaches in our state that are some of the best in the business who had far less than stellar first stops in this head coaching thing.
Elam can coach. If he were at Knox with the average year in and out talent they have, which is very good by the way, he will win.
Not that it matters but in my opinion Knox would soon be a tough out if Elam were running the show. Will bring excellent assistants as well.
I'm sure Elam would be a good coach for Knox, I know nothing about him, other than he has done a fair job at Pineville. Seems that coaches at Knox last 4 - 6 years, even the good ones...some shorter spans, none longer. So, to me, hard to understand why a coach would move from a job that he can probably stay at as long as he wants to a job that admin and parents could run him off in 3 or 4 years if he doesn't play their kid or run the right offense for a certain kid. Nevermind the wins and losses.

Russell was as good of a coach as any east Kentucky school could hope for. I don't know the relationship between him and the admin, but I wish them luck finding someone equal or better. Make the wrong hire and you could go back to the '80s.
Anybody been told or heard anything official
redrocket Wrote:Best of Luck to Knox and whoever the coach may be. Just hope you all can handle the situation better than we did!

They will if their fans and excoaches don't get on here and blast everyone like some of you did.
The more this goes the more it's looking like Bell Co all over again. Getting close to 2 months and still no name.
C-mon KC get it together.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Living The Dream!!
Anybody been told or heard anything official
Christmas Break is just that...Christmas Break. More times than not with jobs that come open before then/now; nothing is hardly ever done. It's not just in Knox's case, but anywhere.

There are 13-14 jobs that came open before the break this year, and only ONE made a hire (Carroll County, and it was already an unofficially-official done deal).
Bart elam is a joke. He lost to McCreary central this year 59-36 and went 6-6 with a team that was supposed to be much better knox central will be average at best with that guy just Truth.
Then they will be better than this past year, right.
The job was posted 12-2,will be taken down 1-2, they hope to have a coach by 1-9. The rumors on the street are, that a member of Elams staff is telling everyone that will listen that it's a done deal. The next rumor is all of the present staff is trying to get Fred Hoskins the job. And they are hinting they may not help anyone else.
so inside info wondor who it between elam and Hoskins and who else wondor how many has applied and wants the Job. have they been any big name coaches apply for the job knox central fans?
insideinfo Wrote:The job was posted 12-2,will be taken down 1-2, they hope to have a coach by 1-9. The rumors on the street are, that a member of Elams staff is telling everyone that will listen that it's a done deal. The next rumor is all of the present staff is trying to get Fred Hoskins the job. And they are hinting they may not help anyone else.

They all better be very careful, some are not tenured and some are hanging on by a thread anyway. New coach may have room for several, when all said and done. Assistants will NOT change the hiring process.
My only hope is they will leave politics out of it. Just hire the best person no matter who it is, or where he is from. If you do this then, you want have to worry about it.
insideinfo Wrote:The job was posted 12-2,will be taken down 1-2, they hope to have a coach by 1-9. The rumors on the street are, that a member of Elams staff is telling everyone that will listen that it's a done deal. The next rumor is all of the present staff is trying to get Fred Hoskins the job. And they are hinting they may not help anyone else.

I'm curious insideinfo, who is this member from Elam's staff that is telling everyone this??
insideinfo Wrote:My only hope is they will leave politics out of it. Just hire the best person no matter who it is, or where he is from. If you do this then, you want have to worry about it.

Who's best , fans or the administration? They are different most of the time.
Interviews are not till after school gets back in session.
PRIDE101 Wrote:Who's best , fans or the administration? They are different most of the time.

A few years back we had a former state champion coach apply for a job, and a coach that had Zero experience apply for the same job. Well some how we decided the one with Zero experience was the best hire. 3 years latter, and 3coaches latter our girls basketball program is in worse shape than it was when this all started if that's possible. If they will just use a little common sense. The right person will separate themselves from the rest.
Sounds like you guys have it figured out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!