Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2015 & 2016 Divisional Breakdowns - all schools
kYMSFA never had a rule against holdback a but the KHSAA was put in charge and they have rule. Below is the rule

Repeating Students

Effective with the 2015-2016 school year, policies regarding the participation of repeating students at the levels of play below high school interscholastic athletics shall be implemented pursuant to 702 KAR 7:065 as follows:

Beginning with the 2015-2016 school year and thereafter, require that no student enrolled initially in grade (5) through grade (8) during the 2015-2016 school year or thereafter who is repeating a grade for any reason be eligible to compete in interscholastic competition involving students enrolled in grades six (6) through eight (8) while repeating a grade;

Age Restrictions

Beginning in 2015-16, the following age limits are in effect:

A student that turns fifteen (15) years of age prior to August 1 of the current school year shall not be eligible for interscholastic athletics in Kentucky in competition against students exclusively enrolled in grades eight (8) and below;
A student that turns fourteen (14) years of age prior to August 1 of the current school year shall not be eligible for interscholastic athletics in Kentucky in competition against students exclusively enrolled in grades seven (7) and below; and
A student that turns thirteen (13) years of age prior to August 1 of the current school year shall not be eligible for interscholastic athletics in Kentucky in competition against students exclusively enrolled in grades six (6) and below;
What if a kid was in 8th grade last year and is in 8th grade again this year. Are they eligible?
UK1 Wrote:What if a kid was in 8th grade last year and is in 8th grade again this year. Are they eligible?
If they are in 8th grade this year, and repeating that grade for any reason, they are not eligible. Actually applies to anyone in 5th thru 8th grades beginning this year and after. So if in 5th grade last year and being held back in 5th grade again this year, not eligible this year. Make sense?
PHSForever Wrote:If they are in 8th grade this year, and repeating that grade for any reason, they are not eligible. Actually applies to anyone in 5th thru 8th grades beginning this year and after. So if in 5th grade last year and being held back in 5th grade again this year, not eligible this year. Make sense?

I've been told this rule will be in effect next season. As kids that had already held back this year before the rule was in effect were granted eligibility this season. Starting next year all players should fall under this rule.
Last year was to get schools in line for the rules this year, so I would go with the assumption that they are ineligible and games that they may have played in could be voided and made forfeits.
Coach_Lockwood Wrote:Last year was to get schools in line for the rules this year, so I would go with the assumption that they are ineligible and games that they may have played in could be voided and made forfeits.

I would hate that for the kids and teams involved, but from everything I've been told the kids were good to play this season.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:I've been told this rule will be in effect next season. As kids that had already held back this year before the rule was in effect were granted eligibility this season. Starting next year all players should fall under this rule.

This. Rules went into effect the first day of school for the 15/16 school year. Anything before that was classified the 14/15 year. All holdbacks PRIOR to the 15/16 school year are eligible this season. Note the terminology in the rule. "Beginning with the 2015-2016 school year" and "enrolled initially." That's per emails with KHSAA & KMSFA officials. Any holdback submitted from the start of this school year will now have to sit out their following year. This current season will be the last eligible season from what I understand.
The following is related SOLELY to interscholastic play for grades 5-8 students in grades 6 through 8 play.

Through the completion of the 2014-2015 school year, policies regarding the participation of repeating students at the levels of play below high school interscholastic athletics (below grade nine(9)) shall be determined by the school council pursuant to KRS 160.345 (2) (i).

Effective with the 2015-2016 school year, policies regarding the participation of repeating students at the levels of play below high school interscholastic athletics shall be implemented pursuant to 702 KAR 7:065 as follows:

Beginning with the 2015-2016 school year and thereafter, require that no student enrolled initially in grade (5) through grade (8) during the 2015-2016 school year or thereafter who is repeating a grade for any reason be eligible to compete in interscholastic competition involving students enrolled in grades six (6) through eight (8) while repeating a grade;
Beginning with the 2015-2016 school year, require that a student who turns:
Fifteen (15) years of age prior to August 1 of the current school year shall not be eligible for interscholastic athletics in Kentucky in competition against students exclusively enrolled in grades eight (8) and below;
Fourteen (14) years of age prior to August 1 of the current school year shall not be eligible for interscholastic athletics in Kentucky in competition against students exclusively enrolled in grades seven (7) and below; and
Thirteen (13) years of age prior to August 1 of the current school year shall not be eligible for interscholastic athletics in Kentucky in competition against students exclusively enrolled in grades six (6) and below;
I know 2-3 kids from somerset are repeating 8th and i was told by a parent that the parents of those kids had in writing from J.Tackett that they were elgible.
blackandgold4life Wrote:I know 2-3 kids from somerset are repeating 8th and i was told by a parent that the parents of those kids had in writing from J.Tackett that they were elgible.

There it is, the golden ticket.
Well, let's hope that's not the case. Im sure those rules were adopted for a reason and targeted for certain areas, to level the playing field for all. No doubt there will be an evaluation and enforcement mechanism in place prior to playoffs. Ought to be a fun tourney!!
Hey Plantmanky can you post all the divisional teams in each division for me thanks I am new on here
Yes I would like to see who is in each division also!
My 2nd post and a try to get a copy of the divisional breakdown. Just three more post to go.
Should be an exciting tournament.
excited for tournament!
Is there a table that lists each school's enrollment? This means nothing without the number of kids.