Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raceland 36 West Carter 25
Time to prove everyone wrong ... Target on your back Rams
No panic snappy coo coo. Kids just didn't do their best tonight.
My view watching the game thanks to RedDevil , was that Raceland was in far more superior shape conditioning wise no doubt and absolutely wore out WC with stretch plays and made WC move laterally from the line. WC is big up front and their LB's looked good but lacked a burst to the ball. I said in the update thread they gave Paintsville all they could handle last year and we had more speed and bodies but watching this impressed me from both sides. If WC can get in shape which I'm sure they will and Raceland keeps using those studs up front it will be a tough win for anyone that plays them.
We out gained West 413 to 164. I guess it is possible to dominate a game and still look bad doing it.
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:We out gained West 413 to 164. I guess it is possible to dominate a game and still look bad doing it.

Yes.... I saw Williamsburg last year dominate a game like this. And some on here was saying raceland almost won. I understand the feeling you want have Williamsburg around this year to kicked around. Our time has come and gone untill about 3yrs. :Cheerlead GO Raceland you guys looked small to me last year.
64SUR Wrote:Yes.... I saw Williamsburg last year dominate a game like this. And some on here was saying raceland almost won. I understand the feeling you want have Williamsburg around this year to kicked around. Our time has come and gone untill about 3yrs. :Cheerlead GO Raceland you guys looked small to me last year.

What players you bringing in 3 years from now?
You must be waiting until there seniors and ready before accepting them now Confusednicker:
All in all, a pretty underwhelming opener for Raceland, but they did enough to win. 1-0 is better than 0-1.

Kick coverage should be a point of emphasis this week for the Rams. The second KO return for a TD was by a lineman for crying out loud. Granted, a pretty fast lineman, but a lineman none the less.

West Carter's going to have a good season. After tonight, I think they're the clear #2 in their district. I'm sure they're not interested in moral victories, but tonight's effort was a good building block moving forward.
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:We out gained West 413 to 164. I guess it is possible to dominate a game and still look bad doing it.

RunItUpTheGut Wrote:What players you bringing in 3 years from now?
You must be waiting until there seniors and ready before accepting them now Confusednicker:

Gut Williamsburg still should win district just think we will not make it that far in the playoff. FINAL four is tough in any class are you night stalking me. Confusednicker:
No reason to panic. it's the FIRST GAME. Granted there's work that needs to be done, but the score is not indicative of how this game went. First I'll say this...West Carter is a much improved team and they'll win some games this year. However, Raceland's defense fell victim to several big plays tonight. West had 83 yards rushing in the first half on (2) big runs (23 & 64 yards). They finished with 105 rushing yards but were held to 22 yards on 11 carries in the second half. They had 63 passing yards, but 56 of them came on one play in the first half. 168 total yards for the game, so other than big plays the defense wasn't as bad as the score indicates.
Secondly, the offense racked up 412 total yards (330 rushing on 52 carries, and 82 through the air). The special teams are a concern right now but I'm sure the coaching staff will get it fixed. Way too early to panic guys.
The passion of the Ram fans is hard to challenge on these message boards, but I still say Raceland will miss Messer more than they think. It sounds good to say they'll replace him by committee, but reality is you don't replace an athlete like that with numerous not as good athletes. This year's Raceland team is still good and they are likely good enough to make it to the state title game, but they aren't and don't even have the potential to be the best Ram team ever as some had said in the preseason.
matching opponents at this point on the part of the rams is irrelevant. bath would beat west carter. hands down. the lackluster performance of south greenup tonight leaves district 6 wide open...say what ya want best district in state with no favorite:lmao:
scrappy coco Wrote:matching opponents at this point on the part of the rams is irrelevant. bath would beat west carter. hands down. the lackluster performance of south greenup tonight leaves district 6 wide open...say what ya want best district in state with no favorite:lmao:

West's speed would kill Bath, and they were more physical up front. I saw the Bath-Fairview game Friday.
scrappy coco Wrote:matching opponents at this point on the part of the rams is irrelevant. bath would beat west carter. hands down. the lackluster performance of south greenup tonight leaves district 6 wide open...say what ya want best district in state with no favorite:lmao:

Do you know you're even in this world? West (Former Western -West Huntington), aka Deadwood will not win a District game o, be very lucky to get by 1st round of playoffs.

Deadwood's record will be excellent if they even go 5 wins and 6 losses.
Keep hearing about our depth up front. Don't seem like we utilized any of it last night.
Sounds like the only place Raceland didn't dominate was the scoreboard. Didn't have Messer to run people down. He will be sorely missed.
Ram1998 Wrote:Keep hearing about our depth up front. Don't seem like we utilized any of it last night.

I agree. We didnt see that depth last night. Imo, Jared Manis looked better than Reece Hall last night. Reece suprised me at Lewis Co, buf West's line is far superior to Lewis Co's and Jared's quickness was more effecient than Reece's size. I went back and watched the game again, all across the board, this game seemed to have been approached as a glorified scrimmage or preseason contest, we were just SO flat and sluggish. Didnt show much of the playbook, goofball mistakes by senior leaders, lack of entusiasm, and just kind of went through the motions the 2nd quarter. We gave up 4 big plays and won, HAVE to fix that problem if we want to get where we all expected us to be.

We did however, seem to be conditioned well.
I feel like coaches has to do a better job giving hall and Wallace a breather on d. If it's only a play or 2. Put a couple fresh legs in to keep pounding on the O line then get them back in the game.
Will admit, I kinda thought Raceland would run away with this one
I noticed Isaac Wallace played some OL last night. Was that part of the plan or was the tackle he replaced gassed/ineffective. I remember someone saying that Isaac was going to focus mainly on defense this year.

Overall I thought Raceland's OL and DL played well. If not for two breakdowns on KO coverage, this game wouldn't have been close. Raceland just has a few kinks to iron out and they'll be fine. They might fall a bit in the BGR 1A poll, but I wouldn't sweat that too much.
If not for a couple of blown coverages by West this game could have gone the other way. Especially the long gain at the end of the half. If west converts their extra points this is a one play game.
And if Raceland hadnt fumbled inside the redzoneon thei first drive, botched the kill on the punt return, and not had 2 complete breakdowns on kick return coverage, its a running clock. West Carter is a good team, Raceland is a good team, bith have a ways to go though.
Raceland is 1-0 and that's better than 0-1 take my word. :popcorn:
Never said neither was a bad team. If Raceland takes a knee with 55 seconds left they have 29. And west has 19. If West doesn't give up the long pass before half they lead at halftime. That was the play on my mind that swung the balance of the game. You can regard West and the game how you wish. I see Raceland as the better team but not nearly the gap in level of play that most thought.
washed up Wrote:Never said neither was a bad team. If Raceland takes a knee with 55 seconds left they have 29. And west has 19. If West doesn't give up the long pass before half they lead at halftime. That was the play on my mind that swung the balance of the game. You can regard West and the game how you wish. I see Raceland as the better team but not nearly the gap in level of play that most thought.

I have to give credit to West for having something to do with that as well. We looked flat and uninspired the entire game. That has to change as much as the kick coverage, if not more. We just looked like we didnt care. That concerns me more than anything.
I think West is better than most have given them credit for, they have several good athletes.

It's gonna take time for the offense to shake itself out and find it's identity post Messer.

The defense played well, minus the big plays in the first half.

There was probably a combination of overlooking West and looking forward to Ashland that played into this game as well.

All in all, the Rams will be fine come district.
This game was a lot closer than I anticipated.
District for Raceland will be tougher than you think. Daniel and Phelps are better than Brown and Brown.
washed up Wrote:District for Raceland will be tougher than you think. Daniel and Phelps are better than Brown and Brown.

Maybe, but I confident is a lot better than their first game performance and they will be fine come district.
Of the teams that our district faced, West Carter, Bath County, and Sheldon Clark, I think West Carter is probably a 2 TD favorite over Bath County and probably a 3 or 4 TD favorite over Sheldon Clark. Frankfort wont be much of a task for Paintsville this week after losing Robinson, but we will know a little more about Raceland and Fairview this week, that is for certain.