Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coach of the Year?
Matney. End of discussion. He has done so much in so little time. He has molded the way Johnson Central football will be played forever.
BIGBLACK Wrote:Matney. End of discussion. He has done so much in so little time. He has molded the way Johnson Central football will be played forever.

Matney should deffinatley get it this year.... I hear Matney is wanting to get the Belfry job as soon as Haywood retire's.... I hope JC get's a good coach whenever Matney leave's and they don't turn back into the team they used to be
Panther#42 Wrote:Matney should deffinatley get it this year.... I hear Matney is wanting to get the Belfry job as soon as Haywood retire's.... I hope JC get's a good coach whenever Matney leave's and they don't turn back into the team they used to be

I've heard that rumor as well. Coach Matney is in the Belfry Hall of Fame and has many ties to their program. I hope its not true, Matney has become very popular in the community, has numerous kids coming out to play for Johnson Central that would not have it he wasn't at the helm. But whatever he decides to do, I'm sure he'll be very successful.
Rodenburg- 2nd year, hasn't lost to a Kentucky team yet this season, has CCH in the state finals
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
BFritz Wrote:Rodenburg- 2nd year, hasn't lost to a Kentucky team yet this season, has CCH in the state finals

Where was he before CCH?
Matney
FBALL Wrote:Where was he before CCH?

Somewhere in Ohio.......... I wanna say McNicholas??
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
Is that Christy McNicholas???? Man I used to have a crush on her when I was younger...
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
BIGBLACK Wrote:I've heard that rumor as well. Coach Matney is in the Belfry Hall of Fame and has many ties to their program. I hope its not true, Matney has become very popular in the community, has numerous kids coming out to play for Johnson Central that would not have it he wasn't at the helm. But whatever he decides to do, I'm sure he'll be very successful.

Yes I hear the power's in Johnson County are doing all they can to keep him happy there, I don't blame them thoughSmile
BFritz Wrote:Rodenburg- 2nd year, hasn't lost to a Kentucky team yet this season, has CCH in the state finals

Look at the talent he has had also.
I really think that Cobb should be mentioned. After all, the Jumpers started out 0-4. But I think Matney from JCHS or the coach from Mercer will get it.
Panther#42 Wrote:Yes I hear the power's in Johnson County are doing all they can to keep him happy there, I don't blame them thoughSmile

You can't blame them like you said, he brought a team from the bottom of the rankings up to #2 this year. I don't know if that has been done in the state of Kentucky, ever. As long as he is there, Johnson Central will contend for the Regional title and possibly state.
IRISH4 Wrote:Look at the talent he has had also.

But it's the way he's used the talent that should make him the Coach of the Year
BFritz Wrote:But it's the way he's used the talent that should make him the Coach of the Year

Any coach can look like a Bear Bryant if they have players with athletic ability on a whole different plateau than their competition. Johnson Central rose from the ground up to state prominence in just 3 years. I agree its hard to get a bunch of players to buy in to a coach's scheme, but if you've been at the top for a while, does this actually look like a vast improvement in a program compared to one that started at the bottom and worked its way up? I have to disagree there, Matney is the rightful deserver of this award.
BIGBLACK Wrote:You can't blame them like you said, he brought a team from the bottom of the rankings up to #2 this year. I don't know if that has been done in the state of Kentucky, ever. As long as he is there, Johnson Central will contend for the Regional title and possibly state.

Didn't Boyle county's head coach do that we he arrived? (When they started the 7 staright trips to louisville) Im pretty sure he went took BC to state as his second year to get a runner up as a coach, and then won it 5 times in a row after that, and ended it with a runner up then he took a coaching job at UK
Panther#42 Wrote:Didn't Boyle county's head coach do that we he arrived? (When they started the 7 staright trips to louisville) Im pretty sure he went took BC to state as his second year to get a runner up as a coach, and then won it 5 times in a row after that, and ended it with a runner up then he took a coaching job at UK

Before he got there, correct me if I'm wrong, they did have a few winning seasons. Not pretty, 6-4, 6-5 and so on. But this Johnson Central team was 5-25 or something similar prior to Matney arriving.
BIGBLACK Wrote:Before he got there, correct me if I'm wrong, they did have a few winning seasons. Not pretty, 6-4, 6-5 and so on. But this Johnson Central team was 5-25 or something similar prior to Matney arriving.

Hm I thought Boyle had 2 or 3 season's before he came that they were like 3-7, or worse in those years?
I'm sure they did in the past, but I thought they were beginning to get things going when he took over.
BIGBLACK Wrote:I'm sure they did in the past, but I thought they were beginning to get things going when he took over.

Hm you were right about that, BC's coach that got them 7 straight trips, came there in 1996 or 1997 I think....
Boyle County ended up 10-2 in 95' and 11-2 in 96'
So if Chuck Smith came in 1997, they were getting things going.... For some reason I thought they weren't any good before he got there
Panther#42 Wrote:Hm you were right about that, BC's coach that got them 7 straight trips, came there in 1996 or 1997 I think....
Boyle County ended up 10-2 in 95' and 11-2 in 96'
So if Chuck Smith came in 1997, they were getting things going.... For some reason I thought they weren't any good before he got there

I wasn't really for sure, but I thought they had started to improve before Smith took over. Good research on your part Panther:thumpsup:
BIGBLACK Wrote:I wasn't really for sure, but I thought they had started to improve before Smith took over. Good research on your part Panther:thumpsup:

Thanks BB! A quick pit-stop to the khsaa records is always helpful