•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newport Central Catholic @ Shelby Valley 11/28 2A Semi Finals
Grass field or turf. If it is grass, that is a huge advantage to SV bc this NewCath team is tiny.
NKYfootballfan91 Wrote:When did prestonsburg become a traditional power? Lol

Not at the state level except in special years - that's true. But P-burg IS a traditional 4th region power.

Don't know why you find humor in the snide way you put it (the "Lol"). I suspect you're just not a nice person. Confusedhh:
30 going on 40 Wrote:Grass field or turf. If it is grass, that is a huge advantage to SV bc this NewCath team is tiny.

Newcath will adjust, they'll practice on whichever field they need to, in order to be ready for this game. Size doesn't always matter, I believe Newcath had proved that all year!!! Go BREDS!!!
NCC may put a running clock on SV but I promise you this, they will have it to do. SV will show up and compete until the horn sounds. Enjoy the 4 hour trip and welcome to the beautiful mountains of Eastern Kentucky!
oneijoe Wrote:lol... Don't need to "lick" my wounds - I'm old enough to have FAR bigger scars than my team losing a game (even a regional championship game).

I don't mean to be harsh either. I know you simply can't help yourself in saying NewCath will put a "running clock" on Valley, whether you truly believe it or not. You ARE from the Cincy metro area, after all. Smile

Confusednicker:

And proud of it just as you are proud of the area you are from
Too much valley, too much hunger, too much heart. Valley makes their first ever state championship.

Shelby Valley - 26
NCC - 20
strawberryshakeman Wrote:And proud of it just as you are proud of the area you are from

Exactly.

Just as suspiciousness of outsiders comes second nature to us hill folk, braggadocio and exaggeration comes second nature to greater Cincy people.

:popcorn:
Until somebody knocks them off I think NCC is still the class of the east. They're a tough out this time of year.
That's because the east side of 2a is really, really weak this year. DeSales, CAL, Caldwell, OC or Murray would take NCC this year. I can't remember seeing them this down.
mysonis55 Wrote:That's because the east side of 2a is really, really weak this year. DeSales, CAL, Caldwell, OC or Murray would take NCC this year. I can't remember seeing them this down.

I'll agree with that, the west is loaded
You guys at NCC don't know what the definition of "rebuilding year" is. Great coaching staff + program/community pride = sustained success. Also 2A East being down this year certainly helped. Based on my limited knowledge of these teams I'll take NCC 38-13.
mysonis55 Wrote:That's because the east side of 2a is really, really weak this year. DeSales, CAL, Caldwell, OC or Murray would take NCC this year. I can't remember seeing them this down.

Right now they are ok. This team was a year away at the beginning of the season and then they played that schedule that did them no favors. Adjustments have been made. The Beechwood game was a good game for the final 3 quarters. It has taken longer than normal but they will be ok. Everyone is playing for 2nd anyway De Sales owns this class right now.
More Cowbell Wrote:Despite finishing 0-10, Somerset was just a few points away from winning their district. LCA was 6-5 prior to losing to Shelby Valley. And if I have to explain what a traditional power is to you, well then that's too bad.

Since we're critiquing wins tonight, what good wins does NCC have this year, other than Newport? Doesn't look like much.

But you guys sure did get thumped by some A-listers, I'll give you that. Good for your RPI. :Clap:

You make yourself look silly by trying to make SV look better by pumping up wins against very bad teams. Somerset is 0-10 for God's sake! LCA average at best and Prestonsburg a traditional power?, give me a break.
I don't know much about NCC . But come in the Valley with the game already won before it's played and see what happens . B a long bus ride back up north . We've been counted out every game in these playoffs . That's just fine with us .
Football fan 0 Wrote:I don't know much about NCC . But come in the Valley with the game already won before it's played and see what happens . B a long bus ride back up north . We've been counted out every game in these playoffs . That's just fine with us .

NewCath's staff has experience travelling to Pikeville, of course that was 2000. They will understand the travel aspect of it. The majority of the kids have been to Bowling Green the past couple of seasons, so they have done the long bus trip. Nobody makes the semis unless they earned it. I don't see NewCath overlooking anyone.
30 going on 40 Wrote:NewCath's staff has experience travelling to Pikeville, of course that was 2000. They will understand the travel aspect of it. The majority of the kids have been to Bowling Green the past couple of seasons, so they have done the long bus trip. Nobody makes the semis unless they earned it. I don't see NewCath overlooking anyone.

Whatever you do, don't get off of U23. The last thing you city slickers want is to get lost up in greasy creek somewhere.
According to this website
http://www.fitpikecounty.org/index.php?p...igh-school
They have a turf field, which Newcath is used to playing on.
Shelby Valley does have a turf field. One of the nicest in EKY. Very good parking for fans and a good concession as well. We take our football serious down here in the mountains too believe it or not. Those of you talking about NCC's schedule, I took a look at it. It's not very impressive to me at all. They've played a decently tough schedule. No somerset schedule, so don't dog somersets record. I will gladly take valley being the underdog in this one like every other game! Because they always show up. There will be no running clock in this football game. You city boys will get all you want coming down on ole' Robinson creek.
64SUR Wrote:I want on the bandwagon Shelby Valley.....:please:

Jump on buddy! We've had out differences as all district opponents do! But you can bet your hind end that if Leslie was playing in this game that ole gator would be rooting for the eagles!
Gator95 Wrote:Jump on buddy! We've had out differences as all district opponents do! But you can bet your hind end that if Leslie was playing in this game that ole gator would be rooting for the eagles!

Might as well pull full another district 8 team, huh? The district had a great year. Every team finished with a winning record. I think next year is going to be another exciting year in district 8. I'll be cheering my heart out for SV, but I don't think it's going to happen for them this year.
Gator95 Wrote:Shelby Valley does have a turf field. One of the nicest in EKY. Very good parking for fans and a good concession as well. We take our football serious down here in the mountains too believe it or not. Those of you talking about NCC's schedule, I took a look at it. It's not very impressive to me at all. They've played a decently tough schedule. No somerset schedule, so don't dog somersets record. I will gladly take valley being the underdog in this one like every other game! Because they always show up. There will be no running clock in this football game. You city boys will get all you want coming down on ole' Robinson creek.

So let this city slicker get this right, you are saying that Somersets schedule was tougher than NCC's? SV only beat them by 10 right? Do you know anything about these 5A and 6A schools up here? Sorry, obviously NOT!!! I guarantee SV hasn't faced a team of this caliber, no way no how, :Shaking: NCC big in this one.
Football fan 0 Wrote:I don't know much about NCC . But come in the Valley with the game already won before it's played and see what happens . B a long bus ride back up north . We've been counted out every game in these playoffs . That's just fine with us .
NCC isn't scared just wait
justbnhonest Wrote:So let this city slicker get this right, you are saying that Somersets schedule was tougher than NCC's? SV only beat them by 10 right? Do you know anything about these 5A and 6A schools up here? Sorry, obviously NOT!!! I guarantee SV hasn't faced a team of this caliber, no way no how, :Shaking: NCC big in this one.

I agree, I mean if SV only beat Somerset by 10 & Somerset went 0-10 this season, that doesn't say much for SV.
justbnhonest Wrote:NCC isn't scared just wait

Stay on 460 down Hellier up Greasy and back through Dorton. It'll put 45 more minutes on your drive, but when you get back you'll thank god you made it out alive.
sstack Wrote:You make yourself look silly by trying to make SV look better by pumping up wins against very bad teams. Somerset is 0-10 for God's sake! LCA average at best and Prestonsburg a traditional power?, give me a break.

I'm not trying to "pump up" anything. You are being ridiculous if you are trying to say that Somerset, LCA, and Prestonsburg are, in your words, "very bad teams".

Somerset is a traditional power that had a down year, although not nearly as bad as their record indicates. LCA was ranked in the top 15 in 2A most of the season. And Prestonsburg is almost always playing for the Region 4 championship.

People can point to NewCath's schedule all they want, and I'll freely admit it was much stronger than Valley's. NCC played Cooper, Dixie, Simon Kenton, and Beechwood, all strong teams. But... they didn't beat any of those teams, either. In fact, they lost those games by 31, 33, 21, and 17 points.

The truth is that SV's win over Prestonsburg is a better win than anything NewCath can claim. NCC's best win is over Newport, and P-Burg is better than Newport.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Real Badman Wrote:Whatever you do, don't get off of U23. The last thing you city slickers want is to get lost up in greasy creek somewhere.

Same stupid overplayed crap we hear every time a NKY school heads to the mountains. You guys get so sensitive to the stereotypes and then say stupid things like that to hide behind them. NewCath is their to kick your ass. Be it in the mountains or walking along a damn tight rope, they are there to hit you. I am sure that your boys welcome them with the same hostility. What won't matter is the geographical location of the game. NewCath don't care.
30 going on 40 Wrote:Same stupid overplayed crap we hear every time a NKY school heads to the mountains. You guys get so sensitive to the stereotypes and then say stupid things like that to hide behind them. NewCath is their to kick your ass. Be it in the mountains or walking along a damn tight rope, they are there to hit you. I am sure that your boys welcome them with the same hostility. What won't matter is the geographic al location of the game. NewCath don't care.

I'm not sensitive to any stereotype. As far as the "kicking your ass" comment, 1) I'm not a Shelby Valley supporter in anyway shape or form. 2) I believe the last time Newport Central Catholic traveled down to Pike County, they came back with a loss. Confidence is a fun thing, but however, prejudiced as you are, I'm sure you'll enjoy the lovely scenery in beautiful Pike County, Kentucky. Make sure to buy a knickknack while you're here.
Onespiritedfan Wrote:I agree, I mean if SV only beat Somerset by 10 & Somerset went 0-10 this season, that doesn't say much for SV.

Do you seriously think Somerset was your typical, sad-sack winless team? They are a traditional power who just last season took NewCath to double overtime in the state semi's. This season, they played a tough schedule with a young team and lost some very close games.

I would wager that most folks from around the state were picking Somerset to win that first-round game against Valley.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I'm not trying to "pump up" anything. You are being ridiculous if you are trying to say that Somerset, LCA, and Prestonsburg are, in your words, "very bad teams".

Somerset is a traditional power that had a down year, although not nearly as bad as their record indicates. LCA was ranked in the top 15 in 2A most of the season. And Prestonsburg is almost always playing for the Region 4 championship.

People can point to NewCath's schedule all they want, and I'll freely admit it was much stronger than Valley's. NCC played Cooper, Dixie, Simon Kenton, and Beechwood, all strong teams. But... they didn't beat any of those teams, either. In fact, they lost those games by 31, 33, 21, and 17 points.

The truth is that SV's win over Prestonsburg is a better win than anything NewCath can claim. NCC's best win is over Newport, and P-Burg is better than Newport.

I am not a NCC fan by a long shot, and I agree they did not win any games against good, higher rated teams with Newport being their best wins. However, playing those games means they are not going into this game against any better competition than they have already seen and will be prepared. Keep trying to spin the Somerset team anyway you want to but the fact is "this year" they are bad. I do not care if games were close or not they are bad. With the watered down playoffs, there are a lot of bad teams ranked in the top 15; LCA being ranked does not make them good. Those teams in your way of thinking might be good in their area, but in talking about the entire state and playing for state championship, they are bad this year. I not going to say NCC comes down there and destroys SV, because I do not believe they are very good this year. They have improved from start of year, but a lot of that is the teams they have been playing.
Fact is NCC played tougher schedule but did not win any of those tough games; will this make them better prepared? SV played a weak schedule and won the games; will this have them prepared for later rounds of playoffs when they start to see better quality teams they have not seen all year?
More Cowbell Wrote:Do you seriously think Somerset was your typical, sad-sack winless team? They are a traditional power who just last season took NewCath to double overtime in the state semi's. This season, they played a tough schedule with a young team and lost some very close games.

I would wager that most folks from around the state were picking Somerset to win that first-round game against Valley.

I would not label their schedule as "tough". Two good 1A teams that if you are a good 2A team then you should beat them. The only other decent team is a down Danville team. And of course SV.
The only close thing to compare NCC/SV would be a common opponent of NKY/EKY teams in LCA. Walton Verona beat LCA by 13 and SV beat them by 11. Walton was beaten twice in close games by Newport and Newport got hammered by NCC. Comparisons between teams does not always prove anything, but I do think it shows SV is not head and shoulders better than NCC and if anything NCC might be favored.
  •  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next